Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Dallas-Mavs.com Stuff

Old 04-20-2007, 11:20 AM   #41
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

You never apologized for calling me an idiot.

But you know what forget it? I don't care. I'm not going to get baited into this anymore I'm just gonna support my team.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2007, 11:22 AM   #42
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
You never apologized for calling me an idiot.

But you know what forget it? I don't care. I'm not going to get baited into this anymore I'm just gonna support my team.
Now you are a liar.

I still have the message in by sent box.

As for the original neg rep and "idiot" comment...well some people don't really appreciate being called a "nazi.''

You deserved the bad rep.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 04-20-2007 at 11:23 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #43
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Then why did you flame my thread for posting an updated standings thread? I don't think that falls under spam...
I would call it spam since the exact topic had been followed on multiple threads for weeks. Like I said in that thread, do you think you were the first person to realize which teams had a possibility of being the 8 seed?

The "pointless" threads aren't the only ones that are bugging everyone, the repetitive "already been covered" threads are too.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #44
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Mavshaverings.... first off you don't re-edit a post I edit out because the reason I did so was you broke many rules on this site and I was trying to save your butt from account punishment.

But now I don't care about you anymore.

As for anyone else, the cussing has got to stop. and no name calling.

Now. Or accounts will get disciplined and the thread will be closed.

So stop.

Thanks!
Old 04-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #45
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I was here to be a fan of the Mavs, but I've been flamed every since I've joined. I didn't come here to start these type of fights, I came here to show my appreciation of the Mavs. Some of you with a large post count want to treat people that are new like crap for no reason. It's really pathetic, this is supposed to be about your support of a team not how many posts you have or how bad ass of a forum poster you are.
If you'd notice, there are many new posters that haven't been flamed at all. Maybe it's YOUR issue rather than ours.

edit: <3 u2

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 04-20-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #46
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Look as I just stated I'm not going to argue with these guys anymore. But there are people here that think that they have a high post count and because someone else don't that they can bully them around. That's not right. But like I said I'm not going to get involved anymore I'm just going to use the ignore feature that's what it's for.

As for re-editing a post that you edited I don't know what you're talking about??? If I did I didn't purposely do it knowing you had edited it. I always edit my posts usually. I didn't even know you edited my post.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:34 AM   #47
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I always edit my posts usually.
Normally I wouldn't highlight something like this, but you've been a bit of a jerk in this thread, and this made me laugh.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:36 AM   #48
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Normally I wouldn't highlight something like this, but you've been a bit of a jerk in this thread, and this made me laugh.
Usually I'm always a board bully sometimes.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:37 AM   #49
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
The thing about rep...is that there are actually some established members that actually have negative rep points (mostly due to a former member..if you know what I mean!).

The rep thing seems like a bad idea.
So let´s go back to the topic of the thread. How about using the rep points the first month of the mebership on this board and after this the number of posts?

By doing this you could prevent newbies from posting unnecessary or spamming new threads, without handicap the old established posters which have a negative rep because of the Doc-incident.

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:41 AM   #50
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
Usually I'm always a board bully sometimes.
Usually? Always? Sometimes? That's it...Give me your vCash Lunch money you no-grammer-knowing fool!
Old 04-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #51
fluid.forty.one

lol

wait, you're kidding right?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:44 AM   #52
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

Quote:
lol

wait, you're kidding right?

it was more of a play on you being a cyber bully...you know, the reverse bullying...thing...
Old 04-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #53
fluid.forty.one

lol Okay. I wrote it in context to the post that jthig quoted, but unfortunately quoted quotes don't carry over when you quote something.

Wait, what?
Old 04-20-2007, 04:30 PM   #54
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg
So let´s go back to the topic of the thread. How about using the rep points the first month of the mebership on this board and after this the number of posts?

By doing this you could prevent newbies from posting unnecessary or spamming new threads, without handicap the old established posters which have a negative rep because of the Doc-incident.
The issue I see with post count, is that it seems that most of these newbies dont have a problem with post count. Look around and you will see newbies with almost 400 post count in the last month or so. I call it spam posts

I think a combination of rep points or length of membership should be weighted together. This would eliminate those affected by past neg rep from the past. Then we all need to be selective with giving rep points to newbies, because some of the regulars can give you a green box with one rep from them. So, for those who have that type of power, please be selective with rep points to newbies if this resolution goes through.

Message to Newbies:
Post count has nothing to do with reputation here. Look for the number of green boxes next to their name. The more green boxes you see, the more reputation they have had here. On the other hand, those with alot of green boxes can really put your rep points in a bind if they neg you. So, it is wise to sit back and pay close attention to this, because as I have seen it now, some of you are messing around with the wrong people, and your little box will turn red. Once it does, it is hard to get back to the green side. For those of you who have alot of rep on other message boards, you might want to check your ego at the door, because now you are newbies, and are treated like one, just like they ALL do at other message boards. That is the process. JMVHO
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:40 PM   #55
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

This is all just theory and fun anyways. I'm sure there's no existing scripts out there that work with this vBulletin that do this. We don't know how the data is internalized in the db either. Although it would stand to reason that there is a combination of tables somehwere that contain "rep points" and "join date" that could be used for calculation.

Then such a check whenever the new thread script is called would require at least 2 lookups, and 2 comparisons, and some math. It seems possible based on the number on threads started around here like it wouldn't bog down the server too much.

It's just that none of this exsists (probably). So we should probably just learn how to deal with it.

I wonder if it's just a regular SQL SERVER....

Wouldn't really be the best way to get people to hang around either. Can you imagine a lovely error page
Quote:
"I'm sorry, but you're too much of a freaking noob to start a new thread. Please stop being so lazy and find an existing one to post your opinion that will more than likely be ignored or torn apart, by our cynical veteran posters"
Ok so maybe it wouldn't have to go like that. (But if I were writing the php script, it sure would )

/rant off
Old 04-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #56
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

i think all new forum folks should have to answer a number of difficult riddles and then perform several menial and demeaning tasks for regulars.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #57
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
This is all just theory and fun anyways. I'm sure there's no existing scripts out there that work with this vBulletin that do this. We don't know how the data is internalized in the db either. Although it would stand to reason that there is a combination of tables somehwere that contain "rep points" and "join date" that could be used for calculation.

Then such a check whenever the new thread script is called would require at least 2 lookups, and 2 comparisons, and some math. It seems possible based on the number on threads started around here like it wouldn't bog down the server too much.

It's just that none of this exsists (probably). So we should probably just learn how to deal with it.

I wonder if it's just a regular SQL SERVER....

Wouldn't really be the best way to get people to hang around either. Can you imagine a lovely error page

Ok so maybe it wouldn't have to go like that. (But if I were writing the php script, it sure would )

/rant off
I've never done vBulletin, but I've done some things like that for a phpBB board that I've admined. Not a big deal really, for someone that has experience in it.

I always loved making custom titles for people that they couldn't change.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-20-2007, 05:31 PM   #58
DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Well hey you've doing to same to me and have been since I've joined mary, so give and receive.

Latest Reputation Received
Thread Date Posted By Comment
Thread Worthy? 04-17-2007 06:14 AM mary Idiot.

I was here to be a fan of the Mavs, but I've been flamed every since I've joined. I didn't come here to start these type of fights, I came here to show my appreciation of the Mavs. Some of you with a large post count want to treat people that are new like crap for no reason. It's really pathetic, this is supposed to be about your support of a team not how many posts you have or how bad ass of a forum poster you are.
happens on every forum. just gotta go with the flow. if you dont like it then you dont have to come here. (not trying to be a smartass or anything)
Old 04-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #59
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
The issue I see with post count, is that it seems that most of these newbies dont have a problem with post count. Look around and you will see newbies with almost 400 post count in the last month or so. I call it spam posts ...
... And another post added!

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Old 04-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #60
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMINATOR
happens on every forum. just gotta go with the flow. if you dont like it then you dont have to come here. (not trying to be a smartass or anything)
Something tells me that you will be getting your second red box real soon
(I too, am not trying to be smartbehind or anything like that)...
Old 04-20-2007, 06:09 PM   #61
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
I've never done vBulletin, but I've done some things like that for a phpBB board that I've admined. Not a big deal really, for someone that has experience in it.

I always loved making custom titles for people that they couldn't change.
Wouldn't it be quite easy to add "New Thread" functions to members as they reach a certain rep level. Isn't this the same way that other functions are added?
Old 04-20-2007, 06:10 PM   #62
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
... And another post added!
I think I am going to have to find a way to up my post count, because a couple of these newbies have more than me, and they think that post count is the same as rep points
Old 04-20-2007, 06:14 PM   #63
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think I am going to have to find a way to up my post count, because a couple of these newbies have more than me, and they think that post count is the same as rep points
This is definitely a good beginning!

"Talk to the claw."

Old 04-20-2007, 07:48 PM   #64
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

heck, i've been here forever but don't have post count or rep to fall back on. doesn't really matter since i don't have anything intelligent enough swirling around in my head to start a thread with, so i'll just keep lurking with the occasional hit-n-run thrown in for good measure.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:45 PM   #65
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
This is definitely a good beginning!
To a new beginning...
Old 04-21-2007, 12:17 AM   #66
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Wouldn't it be quite easy to add "New Thread" functions to members as they reach a certain rep level. Isn't this the same way that other functions are added?
I'm sure it is fairly easy, if you know php and mysql.

But it's DJ's site, he'd have to decide he even wanted to do that before looking into it. I'm sure it's not really about how easy it is, but rather whether that's something he wants to do.

It's really only an issue a few months out of every year, I don't blame him for not being too concerned about it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-21-2007, 01:00 AM   #67
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Someone should start a thread where the members affected by the Doc thing can have some pos. rep given to them. Kinda like Marys thread from a while back. I'd do it but I'm not sure I have enough posts or reps.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:24 AM   #68
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic
Someone should start a thread where the members affected by the Doc thing can have some pos. rep given to them. Kinda like Marys thread from a while back. I'd do it but I'm not sure I have enough posts or reps.
There weren't that many people effected by that whole Doc thing, what Mary means is that the whole time Doc was here he had people he would constantly neg rep, peoplelike reeds, Hitman, George Gerwin, and Chiwas. Chiwas and reeds don't post here anymore, Hitman has positive rep now, and Gerwin is a Spursfan so he doesn't even count

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:03 AM   #69
come_on_now

come_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I think the point that regulars are trying to make is that with all this new spam by some newbies, it makes it hard to find meaningful posts,
Ummm that's where the "blowing out of threads" comes in. If they're blown out they aren't there to wade through. Right?
come_on_now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:23 PM   #70
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by come_on_now
Ummm that's where the "blowing out of threads" comes in. If they're blown out they aren't there to wade through. Right?
The problem then is how do you decide what threads to blow out? I think the issue lies with newbies starting too many non-meaningful threads that are just repeats of past threads.

Last edited by Silk Smoov; 04-21-2007 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:02 AM   #71
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm sure it is fairly easy, if you know php and mysql.
I have a little experience with both.... I would basically copy the functions that check if you've distributed too murch rep in the last 24 hours. Change a couple of things , and that would be it. It's essentially the same idea.

But you're right, it's only a problem a couple of months.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:50 AM   #72
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by come_on_now
I may be new, but every thread I start I makes sure and bring a perspective that hasn't been discussed and I want it seen, not buried in the 200 posts of a thread going supernova.
They are not buried if you take time to read the threads. Some of my better reps have been post that are in the middle of a thread; and come a day or two after I posted. It is the people that just hit the last post submitted and make a point that someone else has made or start a new thread that is annoying. I put my first post in the wrong forum and it was moved (a learning expierence for me), I also started a thread during halftime of a game that should have just been a post (a learning experience for me) but everyone was patient and loved my enthusiasm and never got on to me. I know number of post and rep points aren't necessarily a sign of basketball knowdlege, but I respect them because they have paid there dues. After you read their post you get to know them and realize their strong points and understand why they have the rep they do. If you are a true Mavs fan, I have not seen or heard of anything that would make someone not feel welcomed.

I have found out that silence is a great weapon. See a thread that is unworthy, just don't respond. It will quickly get to the next page and out of sight.

Just want to say thanks for everyone making me feel welcomed.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:05 AM   #73
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by left texas
They are not buried if you take time to read the threads. Some of my better reps have been post that are in the middle of a thread; and come a day or two after I posted. It is the people that just hit the last post submitted and make a point that someone else has made or start a new thread that is annoying. I put my first post in the wrong forum and it was moved (a learning expierence for me), I also started a thread during halftime of a game that should have just been a post (a learning experience for me) but everyone was patient and loved my enthusiasm and never got on to me. I know number of post and rep points aren't necessarily a sign of basketball knowdlege, but I respect them because they have paid there dues. After you read their post you get to know them and realize their strong points and understand why they have the rep they do. If you are a true Mavs fan, I have not seen or heard of anything that would make someone not feel welcomed.

I have found out that silence is a great weapon. See a thread that is unworthy, just don't respond. It will quickly get to the next page and out of sight.

Just want to say thanks for everyone making me feel welcomed.
Glad to have you here "Left Texas"......

As of matter of fact, I welcome all newbies. All that we ask is show a little respect to the regulars, and you will see everything will go on fine. If you come from another forum as a regular, you should understand this. Please just take the time to learn about different regular posters here, and you will see that we all are just Die-Hard Mavs fans.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:17 PM   #74
SeattleMavsFan

SeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the rough

i'll put in my 2 cents here since I'm a "new" member.

i agree it's annoying with trolls coming in, whether they are Mavs fans or not. I enjoy having intelligent conversations with basketball fans. It's the people that are extremely closed minded and just come in to fight that I have a problem with. The new threads from some warrior fans are dumb. I would love to see some new warrior fans to have discussions with but not with the ones that just come to talk smack. It's great they are confident in their team but to register on a Mavs board and post that the Mavs suck and the Warriors rock is not intelligently contributing.

I'm not sure there is anything we can do about it though. sure requiring a certain post count or rep count might help but it hurts legit good people that just don't happen to post much.

Even though I've only been on this particular board since January, I've been a die hard Mavs fan since birth, 23 years ago. I came to this board for intelligent discussions. I mostly read and don't post much. I have never started a new thread since I've been here. So because of those couple of things, I don't have many posts, nor do I get any rep points. Requiring a certain number of posts or rep will hurt legit people like myself. Even though I have never started a new thread, I may want to in the future and I wouldn't like a message telling me I can't post. However, it really isn't a big deal to me. A better idea maybe to restrict it until users have been here for a certain amount of time, regardless of post/rep count. Just another idea to throw out there. I think someone here already mentioned it though.

Anywho, whatever route is taken or not taken, I will live with it and support that decision and this board.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:58 PM   #75
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleMavsFan
i'll put in my 2 cents here since I'm a "new" member.

i agree it's annoying with trolls coming in, whether they are Mavs fans or not. I enjoy having intelligent conversations with basketball fans. It's the people that are extremely closed minded and just come in to fight that I have a problem with. The new threads from some warrior fans are dumb. I would love to see some new warrior fans to have discussions with but not with the ones that just come to talk smack. It's great they are confident in their team but to register on a Mavs board and post that the Mavs suck and the Warriors rock is not intelligently contributing.

I'm not sure there is anything we can do about it though. sure requiring a certain post count or rep count might help but it hurts legit good people that just don't happen to post much.

Even though I've only been on this particular board since January, I've been a die hard Mavs fan since birth, 23 years ago. I came to this board for intelligent discussions. I mostly read and don't post much. I have never started a new thread since I've been here. So because of those couple of things, I don't have many posts, nor do I get any rep points. Requiring a certain number of posts or rep will hurt legit people like myself. Even though I have never started a new thread, I may want to in the future and I wouldn't like a message telling me I can't post. However, it really isn't a big deal to me. A better idea maybe to restrict it until users have been here for a certain amount of time, regardless of post/rep count. Just another idea to throw out there. I think someone here already mentioned it though.

Anywho, whatever route is taken or not taken, I will live with it and support that decision and this board.
Rep points has nothing to do with starting a thread. Your post being meaningful is where you get your rep points. The more rep points you get, that means the more regular posters here with the most rep points value your posts. I have not started too many thread as well, but I have never received a rep point for starting a thread. I get rep points by adding value to a thread with my post. I could care less who started a thread, as long as it is not a thread that is just a duplicate of others.

Look around, and you will see newbies that have been here less than two months, and they have 4 green boxes of rep points. Why does that poster have 5 boxes and another poster who has been here for 2 years have 3 green boxes?

Simple. This is NOT always, but more than likely that person who has been here for 2 years have brought little value to most threads.

There are many different type of regular posters here. Some are die hard Mavs fan and everything is about the Mavs. Some are die-hard Mavs fans as well as Die hard NBA fans. Some here have the Mavs as their 2nd favorite team, and etc. I tend to think that I earned my rep points by bringing value to the threads, while still giving the just due respect to others who have been here alot longer than myself. As I got more rep, I began to get more respect from the past regulars, and now we all discuss things on an even playing field, without anyone feeling disrespected.

The whole point is this message board is YES a public forum, but remember this is still a community. Communities have rules and regulations no matter where you are or live. So, please just respect the community and culture of OUR Mavs message board. I think you are headed in the right direction by your posts and comments. And for that, you get rep from me on your post

Last edited by Silk Smoov; 04-23-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:33 PM   #76
SeattleMavsFan

SeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Rep points has nothing to do with starting a thread. Your post being meaningful is where you get your rep points. The more rep points you get, that means the more regular posters here with the most rep points value your posts. I have not started too many thread as well, but I have never received a rep point for starting a thread. I get rep points by adding value to a thread with my post. I could care less who started a thread, as long as it is not a thread that is just a duplicate of others.

Look around, and you will see newbies that have been here less than two months, and they have 4 green boxes of rep points. Why does that poster have 5 boxes and another poster who has been here for 2 years have 3 green boxes?

Simple. This is NOT always, but more than likely that person who has been here for 2 years have brought little value to most threads.

There are many different type of regular posters here. Some are die hard Mavs fan and everything is about the Mavs. Some are die-hard Mavs fans as well as Die hard NBA fans. Some here have the Mavs as their 2nd favorite team, and etc. I tend to think that I earned my rep points by bringing value to the threads, while still giving the just due respect to others who have been here alot longer than myself. As I got more rep, I began to get more respect from the past regulars, and now we all discuss things on an even playing field, without anyone feeling disrespected.

The whole point is this message board is YES a public forum, but remember this is still a community. Communities have rules and regulations no matter where you are or live. So, please just respect the community and culture of OUR Mavs message board. I think you are headed in the right direction by your posts and comments. And for that, you get rep from me on your post
thanks for the post and the rep points!

ya I wasn't saying that rep points did have anything to do with starting threads but it was suggested that the board restrict users to be able to post new threads only if they have a certain amount of rep points. I understand the whole rep points things and I've actually never seen it on a message board. it's a very nice feature to just take a snap shot of the person, although not always accurate. I've gotten pretty much all positives but there was one that was negative just because I had a different opinion on something than they did. that doesn't seem to be the reason for rep points because of a difference of opinion. anywho, it's not a big deal as i'm sure it all evens out anyways.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:43 PM   #77
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

All new members are perceived as bad.

I received a crap load of negative rep when I first got here. Frankly I don't know why it stopped....
Old 04-24-2007, 12:13 AM   #78
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I received a crap load of negative rep when I first got here. Frankly I don't know why it stopped....
The cat grew bored of toying with you?

I kid, kid.

You didn't get a crapload of negative rep when you first got here. I don't believe you.

Have you reached that point yet where you go from all the anger and the depression and the angst to being oddly glad that it's over?

(I'm talking Stars with that last paragraph, of course.)
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:46 AM   #79
fluid.forty.one

Quote:

I only got one neg rep from a regular member when I first got here, and Ironically it was from DrBio lol.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:40 AM   #80
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I only got one neg rep from a regular member when I first got here, and Ironically it was from DrBio lol.
Is that really ironic? It seems like it was pretty much a rite of passage for new members here.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote