Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-06-2007, 04:49 AM   #1
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future
Default Nets talk with Mavs about Kidd trade?

Trade Or Extend Me? Kidd Decides To Sit
December 6, 2007 - 2:27 am

New York Post - Jason Kidd was "on strike," last night several team sources claimed, and he essentially called in sick, perhaps in an effort to force a trade from the Nets or get a contract extension.

According to the New York Post, Coach Lawrence Frank said Kidd phoned him complaining of a migraine yesterday at about 2 p.m. Kidd never showed for last night's 100-93 defeat against the Knicks, also short-handed, in the Meadowlands.

Maybe it was the contract extension he sought and did not receive. Maybe it is the general state of the team. Maybe it is a desire for a trade. Whatever the reason, whatever the cause, Kidd chose a game against the division rival Knicks to state his case. And the Nets certainly proved how much they need Kidd, losing to the 6-11 Knicks who were without Eddy Curry and Stephon Marbury.

"He's on strike," on team source said.

Kidd's teammates were tight-lipped, though one claimed, "I can't picture Jason doing that. I would be disappointed if he did."

But another source said the Nets were planning on - if not already - talking to Dallas, the Lakers and perhaps Cleveland about a trade. Kidd nearly was traded to the Lakers last February.

Kidd played 30 minutes Tuesday in Cleveland and chatting with LeBron James afterward.

Link

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2007, 05:07 AM   #2
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I don't see any good from a Kidd trade. They are going to want youth for Kidd. Our youth happens to be our best players on the team. Unless they think highly of guys like JJ, Stack or Dampier I don't mess with a Kidd trade. I'm definately not adding Josh, JET or Harris in a deal for him. I know some would give up JET for him but with the way this team has been shooting i'm not sure if we can afford to get rid of JET. Especially getting rid of him and adding Kidd's shooting.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Kidd would make many players better with his passing ability. Dirk would be the first.

I can't see them giving up Harris, Howard, or Dirk, but after that -- I'd have to consider it.

Personally I think this team is growing pains and one player away from being very good. Hope Donnie and Cuban can find that one player.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

/thread
Old 12-06-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
Kidd would make many players better with his passing ability. Dirk would be the first.

I can't see them giving up Harris, Howard, or Dirk, but after that -- I'd have to consider it.

Personally I think this team is growing pains and one player away from being very good. Hope Donnie and Cuban can find that one player.

agreed.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:51 AM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

If Dallas wants Kidd they're going to have to give up something of interest. Can you imagine a true pg on this team that can handle the ball, dish out like crazy, and rebound?

Dampier, Harris, and Hassell works. I can see Dallas giving up Harris but losing Dampier in the middle could hurt but AJ appears to be in love with Bass so who knows.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #7
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Harris and Stack for Kidd. Does that work?

We get a top tier PG, plus it helps Dirk and on top of it all, we have a true PG who can defend smaller or bigger guards.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:17 PM   #8
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

How old is he now? 46?
Old 12-06-2007, 12:19 PM   #9
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're talking about sending Harris for Kidd, I think I have to agree with Flac.../thread.

I would love to have Kidd, but he's just about done.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:19 PM   #10
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, but he would do wonders here in Dallas. This team would be much better and overall it helps Dirk. But, at the expense of keeping Kidd for maybe 2 two years and losing youth like Harris. I dont think I could pull that trade. It looked nice at first. I would rather have Kobe here no matter how we get him.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:22 PM   #11
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I don't think I could get rid of Harris. Last night aside, he's really improving and he's so young.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:33 PM   #12
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

You simply can't move Harris unless it nets you someone with 5-8 years left. Jet+ for Kidd I would do. It would also help Harris' progression learning from Kidd. Maybe not so much on the shot though!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #13
Silk Smoov
Banned

Jet for Kidd would just mean teams would close the lane completely and force Kidd and Harris to beat us from the outside. Plus, we get Kidd, then you just decided to cancel the growth of Harris. Harris on the bench is not an answer for his maturity. Harris needs time on the floor. We need Kobe!!!!

There is no way around that, but one thing I am wondering. Has Dirk played himself into not being able to get Kobe for him? That is what I am wondering..
Old 12-06-2007, 12:38 PM   #14
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
I don't think I could get rid of Harris. Last night aside, he's really improving and he's so young.
I dont think I could as well, unless we get Kobe All jokes aside, we have to make a trade that allows Jet to be the 6th man at PG.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:42 PM   #15
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

I would love him, but he would only be good for maybe 2 more years...

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #16
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
I would love him, but he would only be good for maybe 2 more years...
But looking realistically at our window, are we still going to be a championship contender those years?

I'd be all for a Kidd for Harris and change type of trade.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:54 PM   #17
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

December 5, 2007

There was no migraine headache holding Jason Kidd out of the New Jersey Nets' loss to the New York Knicks Wednesday night, but a superstar sending a message to a floundering franchise that he's irate with management and teammates, several league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
As the Nets flew back to New Jersey late Tuesday from a victory over Cleveland, sources said Kidd already had decided he would be sitting out against the Knicks in the Meadowlands. Kidd didn't tell Nets officials until Wednesday afternoon, but several people inside and outside the organization were made aware of the meaning behind his sick day.

Kidd's agent, Jeff Schwartz, isn't believed to have formally demanded a trade, but Wednesday's bold act could be the precursor to starting that process. Two sources said Kidd has been a constant text messaging partner with LeBron James since playing with him this summer on Team USA and that the Cavaliers are his preferred destination.

"They've been communicating about the (trade) options that could get them together in Cleveland," one Eastern Conference official said.

As one Nets official confessed, Kidd's absence due to a purported migraine was "very suspicious." No one wanted to believe he would sit out a game in protest, but that's how bad it has become between Kidd and the longtime laughingstock that he delivered credibility to. He has no history of migraines with the Nets, and with the way he traditionally has loved to destroy the Knicks, the timing of a walkout left Nets officials deeply disturbed.

In an act of defiance that has been building for most of this season, Kidd, 34, has grown irritated over his belief that the franchise no longer is chasing greatness while his chance for a championship closes. He called out his teammates two weeks ago in Utah, just days after his bid for a contract extension was spurned by team president Rod Thorn. Right now, the Nets are 9-10 and going nowhere.

Thorn has praised Kidd for a "football player's" mentality when it comes to playing hurt, but the point guard privately is wondering how much more he wants to sacrifice his body for a team mired in mediocrity. So far this season, Kidd has played brilliantly for the Nets, second to Steve Nash with 10.4 assists. He performed with cracked ribs and a bad back a year ago, pushing the Nets past the Toronto Raptors in the opening round of the playoffs by averaging a triple-double.

Yet Kidd has been frustrated with some of his teammates' inability to stay on the floor and play through pain, especially Vince Carter. These days, everything about the Nets bothers Kidd. Everyone had to wonder Wednesday night: Could this have been the beginning of the end for Jason Kidd and the New Jersey Nets?

Adrian Wojnarowski is the NBA columnist for Yahoo! Sports. Send Adrian a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

---

GET THE MAN HERE

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 12-06-2007 at 02:54 PM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #18
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Isn't Kidds salary way too much to have him here with Dirk anyway?

Last edited by Flacolaco; 12-06-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:12 PM   #19
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Jason Kidd = Brett Favre.

I'm not gonna lie. Kidd starting and retiring in Dallas would be pretty legit.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."

Last edited by ty; 12-06-2007 at 03:13 PM.
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:23 PM   #20
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, he's old.
Sure, he's on his last legs.
Sure, his contract is huge.

but the man averaged a triple double in the playoffs last year. Name me one other person that averaged a triple double during last year's playoffs. Enough said.

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 12-06-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:06 PM   #21
alby
Guru

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3144197

false hope.

Contact Me
Old 12-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #22
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

silksmoov, you are right harris needs to play, unfortunatly he is always doing stupid shit to get his ass put back on the bench. He kills me with the cheap fouls every game. He pretty much cost us the hornets game with his late fouls in my mind, and last night was terrible. I am afraid we are going to spend 6 or 7 years waiting for him to arrive and he is never going to. I say go for kidd, if it brings a championship then it was worth it.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:23 PM   #23
alby
Guru

false hope.

Contact Me
Old 12-07-2007, 02:26 AM   #24
alby
Guru

"7. Mavericks -- Impossible because Devin Harris just signed a big extension (making him impossible to trade) and I can't imagine why the Nets would want to touch Jason Terry's contract (five years, $48 million remaining) or Erick Dampier's contract (4 years, $41.5 million remaining). You could argue that "Terry + a giant expiring contract + two No. 1 picks would be a decent haul," but the Mavs don't have one of those Theo Ratliff-like expiring contracts and their No. 1 picks aren't appealing, anyway. So they're out."

no one would want to touch JET's contract.

Contact Me
Old 12-07-2007, 12:04 PM   #25
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

At this point I would trade Harris for Kidd. Easy decision.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:04 AM   #26
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

1 Kidd-Friendly Q&A

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
(Archive)

The leading Kidd suitor at this juncture, then, would have to be Dallas. Kidd has quietly maintained a long-standing interest in returning to the team that drafted him and the Mavericks, according to one team source, strongly believed after Steve Nash's controversial departure in the summer of 2004 that they were close to getting him back. It didn't happen then and the Mavs resisted calls to make another run at Kidd after their first-round flameout to Golden State, claiming that they'd have been overreacting to change too much from a 67-win team.

No one's saying that now, though. Not with team morale, according to club sources, suddenly approaching new lows in the wake of this 3-6 skid, reinforcing my belief from the start that this group needed a bigger shakeup after two such disheartening playoff endings back-to-back. With the Mavs' lack of a proven winner/killer/closer in Kidd's class never more evident, Charles Barkley aptly concluded on TNT's postgame show Thursday: "Dallas is in trouble, man. They gonna have to do something.'"

5. Do the Mavs actually have enough to entice New Jersey?

Yes. The sticking point in a straight two-team swap would be Josh Howard -- Howard would be the first player New Jersey asks for and the guy Dallas is apt to deem untouchable a la Bynum -- but Dallas has two other key pieces to get the conversation cranked up: Devin Harris, as the promising young point guard to replace Kidd, and the ability to create a lucrative expiring contract to provide salary-cap relief and make the trade math work by giving a three-year deal (with only the first year guaranteed) to the unofficially retired Keith Van Horn.

Harris is a Mark Cuban favorite and a proven nuisance to San Antonio as Dallas' answer to Tony Parker. But Harris is not an Avery Johnson favorite and, after a promising start to the season, is again struggling to run the team to the demanding coach's specifications. So …

Would New Jersey take Harris, Jason Terry, Van Horn's cap-friendly deal and future draft considerations for Kidd? Would Dallas part with Harris and Howard for Kidd? Probably not in either case. Yet even in three- or four-team scenarios, it's difficult to imagine New Jersey getting back a better young heir to Kidd than Harris, who could probably use a fresh start as much as any Mav.

Link

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:24 AM   #27
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

NJ doesn't want Dampier and players they would want are players like Howard first and Haris next. Harris wouldn't be a friendly camper on the bench. He needs playing time wherever he plays.

I do not see the Mavs giving up Howard or Harris, so i do not see Kidd comming here and i feel he is going to the Lakers.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:39 AM   #28
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get where Stein thinks it would cost Howard and Harris.

NJ already has Carter and Jefferson. If they want to win now, Terry costs half of Kidd and is younger-- allowing for a descent Big to be acquired. I expect the rub to not be Howard, but to be Diop or Damp. Howard is on his BYC and makes it hard to make fit either way. Harris is on the Poison Pill.

I am not sure Dallas would trade Damp- with Terry, and I am not sure NJ wants Terry and Damps contract, and the other option is Terry, Diop, and Stack - and I don't see Dallas doing that.

It would take a third team or be a straight Terry-Damp trade. I kind of don't see these happening.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:39 PM   #29
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Harris AND Terry should never happen--Dallas shouldn't completely strip away all its depth for a 34-year old (35 before the season is complete) PG coming off micro-fracuture surgery, with approximately $40 mm in contract obligations over the next two years, who is, in addtiion reportedly asking for another $24mm on a 1-year extension. And this isn't even taking into account an extremely messy off-court personal life, with indications of alcohol abuse, and a recetn "migraine" that caused him to miss a game with Nets cross-river rival NJNets.

Kidd's been a great player, but he shouldn't be on the Mavericks' radar for anything other than forced-sale prices. If that.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:59 PM   #30
me770706

me770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the rough

howard has got to be untouchable in regards to acquiring kidd, but i wouldnt be opposed to sending harris as long as it's not too big of a package with him. wouldnt it be great if we could also get sean williams..defensive freak
me770706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:16 PM   #31
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I love Kidd but I think Harris and a first round pick should be enuff. Maybe an extra pick...but I dont like the talk of these "packages" hes no KG or Kobe...but still great

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:12 AM   #32
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

taken from: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...dime-071208-09

Quote:
5. Do the Mavs actually have enough to entice New Jersey?

Yes. The sticking point in a straight two-team swap would be Josh Howard -- Howard would be the first player New Jersey asks for and the guy Dallas is apt to deem untouchable a la Bynum -- but Dallas has two other key pieces to get the conversation cranked up: Devin Harris, as the promising young point guard to replace Kidd, and the ability to create a lucrative expiring contract to provide salary-cap relief and make the trade math work by giving a three-year deal (with only the first year guaranteed) to the unofficially retired Keith Van Horn.

Harris is a Mark Cuban favorite and a proven nuisance to San Antonio as Dallas' answer to Tony Parker. But Harris is not an Avery Johnson favorite and, after a promising start to the season, is again struggling to run the team to the demanding coach's specifications. So …

Would New Jersey take Harris, Jason Terry, Van Horn's cap-friendly deal and future draft considerations for Kidd? Would Dallas part with Harris and Howard for Kidd? Probably not in either case. Yet even in three- or four-team scenarios, it's difficult to imagine New Jersey getting back a better young heir to Kidd than Harris, who could probably use a fresh start as much as any Mav.
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:39 AM   #33
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I wish I could get a job writing about sports, and leading people on about things that have 0.00000% chance of happening.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:07 AM   #34
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

you already do flaco, you led me to believe that the stars had no chance in hell and look they are playing pretty good.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:35 AM   #35
adirktotheheart
Banned

adirktotheheart has a spectacular aura aboutadirktotheheart has a spectacular aura about

"Van Horn's cap-friendly deal?" WTF?

And I thought NJ had their PG-of-the-future in Marcus Williams (who's only a month and a half away from returning after suffering a broken leg).
adirktotheheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:19 PM   #36
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
I wish I could get a job writing about sports, and leading people on about things that have 0.00000% chance of happening.
If you are talking about misinformation and unrealistic statements, you're already there!

Contact Me
Old 12-09-2007, 01:31 PM   #37
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Youth and expiring contracts has to be what New Jersey needs. We need a guard to penetrate and create for others. The mavericks missed the boat on Nash and Kidd. There would be an irony about starting and finishing your career with the Dallas Mavericks.

It depends on how long of a window for a championship the mavericks have. If it is two or three years you have to think about trading Kidd for Harris and an expiring contract.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:44 PM   #38
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I love Stein to death, and he is very, very plugged into the Mavs. But he has lost his damn mind. The Mavs would laugh at the Nets if they asked for Howard and Harris. Absolutely laugh at them.

I doubt very seriously if they would trade Harris straight up for Kidd.

When someone says that Harris is a Cuban favorite, but not an Avery; hasn't Cuban already proven he will go off what he and Donnie think, and not necessarily the coach? And in this case, thank God. If it were ever to come down to Avery or Devin on this team, Avery can make sure to not let the door hit him on the way out.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #39
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
I love Stein to death, and he is very, very plugged into the Mavs. But he has lost his damn mind. The Mavs would laugh at the Nets if they asked for Howard and Harris. Absolutely laugh at them.

When someone says that Harris is a Cuban favorite, but not an Avery; hasn't Cuban already proven he will go off what he and Donnie think, and not necessarily the coach? And in this case, thank God. If it were ever to come down to Avery or Devin on this team, Avery can make sure to not let the door hit him on the way out.
you hit it square in the nose.

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 12-09-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #40
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32

I don't believe that Stein has ever suggested the Mavs would deal both Harris and Howard for Kidd. Where are you getting that? I heard Stein on the radio yesterday, and he clearly said that the Mavs would not do that deal. He said that NJ would ask for it, of course, but that the Mavs would say no. Obviously.

My guess is that they would trade Harris for Kidd straight up IN A HURRY. Of course, the deal couldn't be done straight-up, so there would have to be more added to it.

When you say that Cuban has proven he would go away from what the coach wants, I guess you are talking about Nellie. Has Cuban proven to you that he would go away from what Avery wants? From Dough Christie all the way to Eddie Jones, Avery seems to have a lot more input than Nellie did in the late stages.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote