Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Dallas-Mavs.com Stuff

Old 02-15-2010, 11:40 PM   #81
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this thread was going to be about a new banner for the board...

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2010, 11:47 PM   #82
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Your sig sums it up.

I miss the old days too. I miss Hoopsmeister, Dooby, etc etc. I'm one of the earliest members on the forum. But for those are constantly whining about the state of the board... why not suck it up and actually contribute to the board and try and make it better? If you tired of the discussion, then start your own discussion. If you tired of cerrtain topics... then start your own damn topics.

But this constant b*tching about the past versus the present is riduculous.
Word. All I'm saying is, unless it's a mid-season-trade-becomes-official type of event, a thread going over 7 or 8 pages isn't going to attract me because I don't have the time I once had to read every post and contribute a new angle or respond consistently.

I was 21 when I joined the board and I'ma be 30 in a few weeks. So obviously I have a lot of other things to do compared to when I started out. Back in the day I could sit back and read the CBA front to back, and talk to y'all about the 9 different ways we could get rid of Howard Eisley.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #83
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

One thread may not fit all, but neither does one forum. If you dont like how we do things, its a free internet and as other people have said, you dont have to post or view this forum. Go elsewhere. I long for the old days of Sike and Xerxes homo...whatever relationship, etc etc but this is my forum and I like it. Do I think I own it and want other people to change to better fit my mood? Hell no. I mean there are organizational issues like posting a stupid thread in the Mavs section when it should be in the "D-M.com stuff" section but other than that post...I find this to be the best forum out there and there is very minimal moderation considering other forums I write on.

If you dont like it, don't whine-- go to DB or realgm or Yahoo or any other forum. DM.com is as good as its every been other than the loss of some wonderful posters. If you want to post, I see very few people that have their threads edited or even moved. This out-of-place thread is testament to how laid back the moderation is here.

Make positive change, change forums or stop whining.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-16-2010 at 12:07 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:05 AM   #84
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice

I agree with Stressboy. But there are other factors. One is that some people post way too much. It seems that every stray thought warrants a post, they think. I think a post needs to have substance, or you should save it.

Also, threads seem to change course. When that happens, I wish a moderator would step in and start a new thread for the new course. I get tired of reading a thread I like when it suddenly turns to child-like bickering, and then I find myself going thru page after page trying to get past that to get back to the meat. Of course, it's then more exasperating when I finally get to the end and the discussion never returned to the original interesting topic. I don't like censorship, but it does get annoying.
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:26 AM   #85
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I love how people who never post here suddenly have an opinion about those who do...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #86
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

It is unfortunate that stressboy has to listen to folks bitching about him posting an opinion.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:46 AM   #87
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

You Fers judging Murphy were likely not here when he was at his best. Most of us are adults now with full lives. I have 2 kids, a wife, a career, and a dog, (the most time consuming part). I live in a state where I don't even get the full day to day news unless I search the local websites, which I don't have time to do at work or really at home.

This site was amazing several years back, (I am not Rylan/Murphy ancient, but I do go back a while), but it is great now as well - different, but still great. I have gone from a newbie that didn't want to post to a guy that was a bully to all and anyone to a guy that has matured a bit more and tries to only post when my thoughts are warranted. I think a lot of people go through that same stage and some of the regular posters are probably in the middle stage of my time here.

Really, what it comes down to is that a message board is going to go through times that you love and others that piss you off. I personally have no problem with the thread length, (certainly not enough of a problem to complain about it), but if I did, I would do my part to change it instead of putting the onus on everyone else while threatening to leave if THEY didn't change.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #88
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
It is unfortunate that stressboy has to listen to folks bitching about him posting an opinion.
For the record, I am not trying to pile on the guy, but I do think that his opinion could be better served with action from him rather than the way it was handled. Also, for the record, due to it being so important to me, I read every single page of that Caron thread. I don't like being called a loser for my efforts rather than a committed fan that loves this franchise. That type of "an opinion" can rub people wrong.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:55 AM   #89
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Its unfortunate that certain posters think that its not completely natural that, after someone comes to a public forum open to the 8 billion people on this planet and posts something completely public, people can respond with their own opinions. Even sadder that we can't respond with our own opinions when the person posting decides that not only is their criticism of the rest of us worthy of a post, it also deserves its own thread in an inappropriate section of the board.

Truly sad. The criticisms may not be on the mark but they are our opinions and at least we are using a current thread instead of making a new one.

Whats the difference between one poster coming in to criticize publicly (opinion) with a new thread, and people answering with their own opinions?

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-16-2010 at 12:59 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:06 AM   #90
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem is that we've now got a bunch of kids moderating the grownups.

And there's not enough blatant trolling and flaming to keep everybody together.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:13 AM   #91
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Dallas-Mavs.com never was in the running for thread control.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:27 AM   #92
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

The Butler/Howard thread climbed up to 7 pages of posts in 12 hours, but was deemed "too long" by the original poster.

This thread (that has NOTHING to do with the Dallas Mavericks) is already up to 3 pages in the same amount of time...

Ironic?

Last edited by Underdog; 02-16-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:43 AM   #93
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:59 AM   #94
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fine with the way things work around here. If it's a long thread I usually just skip to the last page and pick up wherever the discussion has left off. I like that there's usually only one thread for each topic.

However...

I think it's just ridiculous how some posters here freak the hell out everytime a new poster starts a thread. I remember when I first started posting here I didn't really get how the thread etiquette worked and was made to feel very unwelcome. I damn near stopped coming to this site because of it.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:23 AM   #95
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I'm fine with the way things work around here. If it's a long thread I usually just skip to the last page and pick up wherever the discussion has left off. I like that there's usually only one thread for each topic.

However...

I think it's just ridiculous how some posters here freak the hell out everytime a new poster starts a thread. I remember when I first started posting here I didn't really get how the thread etiquette worked and was made to feel very unwelcome. I damn near stopped coming to this site because of it.
How lucky we all are that you managed to pull through those hard times.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:39 AM   #96
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Access to this board is free. The mods here receive little to no financial benefit for their duties here. We should be grateful for the service they do us by keeping this board from absolute, utter chaos.

There are plenty of boards around that do not have the same level of dedication from moderators/developers, but that cost money out of your pocket.

If you feel that more needs to be done, then feel free to take action HERE. If you feel you can help contribute behind the scenes to the success of this board, then PM dj or one of the mods.

Otherwise, just be glad that you can come to a free forum and from time-to-time, logically discuss our beloved basketball team.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:07 AM   #97
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I hope you see the irony in this....

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:11 AM   #98
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly it beats me down incessantly. There is not a bigger power down for me than seeing thread police in action.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:04 AM   #99
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
So harsh Murph, so harsh.

The bottom line is this: After discussing this ad nauseum in the past, we've relaxed on keeping things in threads that already exist. If you want to make a new thread, fine. Whoever started the stupid Barea thread certainly felt fine about it. And all we did was mock the thread.

But honestly, what are we supposed to do about a thread like the Butler thread? It started as a general trade thread. Then the news on Butler specifically accelerated very suddenly, and it very organically became a thread about the Butler trade. Now, we are accused all the time of over-moderating. Should we have shut down that thread and forced everyone to an "Official Caron Butler trade thread" thread? That would strike me as over moderation.

The complaints in the past have been about generic threads where several conversations are going on at once. That is not the case with the Butler thread. It's very focused, it just happens to be very long. So what are we supposed to do? Make a new thread for it every day? Spawn a new thread after a certain post count? That would be stupid.

And honestly, I'm generally completely open to discuss things like this, but starting a complaint thread and then insulting regular posters with crap like "those of us that have a life" is pretty idiotic in my opinion.
What should have been done about the Butler thread? I don't place any blame on a moderator for what occurred there. Someone (including me) should have had the common sense to start a new thread once the trade occurred..but, it's not the fault of a mod. Yeah, it is the problem that Stressboy is talking about.. the fundamental shift in this "community" in what to do when something such as a trade occurs.. or whenever a new idea that's thread worthy pops up inside another thread.. The forum struggles as a whole with something that should be so basic in principle. But it's not any one individual's fault. It is everyone's fault.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #100
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do I think I own it and want other people to change to better fit my mood?
This is where you and I differ.

Seriously, everyone needs to shut up with the "this is a free Internet, go elsewhere if you like" crap. This is a great board, but if the old farts like me want to wax nostalgic, we're going to do it and you're just going to have to live with it. When I started posting on the forum, I had a dog and no kids. Now I have the same dog and three kids. I don't have as much time as I used to have. Does that mean I'm any less of a diehard fan? No way -- my wife gives me grief because I'm already raising the next generation of Mavs fans.

I'm not going to listen to people run down Murph as one of the "worst members of this forum" or act like Stressboy is some newbie punk. I fully realize you can't go back in time (nor do I really want to), but guys like Murphy and Stressboy are the reason that there was a forum here for younger folks to stumble across years later.

*steps off soap box*
Old 02-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #101
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
An opinion? He was bitching, and insulting for that matter.

Sheesh.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #102
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
This is where you and I differ.

Seriously, everyone needs to shut up with the "this is a free Internet, go elsewhere if you like" crap. This is a great board, but if the old farts like me want to wax nostalgic, we're going to do it and you're just going to have to live with it. When I started posting on the forum, I had a dog and no kids. Now I have the same dog and three kids. I don't have as much time as I used to have. Does that mean I'm any less of a diehard fan? No way -- my wife gives me grief because I'm already raising the next generation of Mavs fans.

I'm not going to listen to people run down Murph as one of the "worst members of this forum" or act like Stressboy is some newbie punk. I fully realize you can't go back in time (nor do I really want to), but guys like Murphy and Stressboy are the reason that there was a forum here for younger folks to stumble across years later.

*steps off soap box*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stressboy View Post
Only people with no lives will read 13 pages to pick up where that started
Quote:
...so those of us that try to maintain a real life can read the thread titles, and decide what is worth our time and what is not.
So because his join date says 2001, he can post insults but we "newbies" and "kiddies" aren't allowed to tell him to go shove it.

Whatever.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 02-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #103
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I concur Thig.... Stressboy new that he was going to get blasted by some. He threw out his opinion knowing that it was going to rub some people the wrong way. However, he felt as if his opinion needed to be heard.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #104
Underdog

Quote:
An opinion? He was bitching, and insulting for that matter.

Sheesh.
Not to mention that he posted this crap in the General Mavs Discussion when it has nothing to do with the Mavs - just another useless thread junking up the greatest news this team has had in years...

Oh, but my 10,000+ posts and several years of PAYING for this site to stay afloat don't afford me a valid opinion about anything because I joined in 2006 instead of 2001 - people who weren't here for the "good old days" when there were only 1,000 Mavs fans on the internet are definitely what's wrong with this forum (well, at least according to folks who have the time & energy to bitch about the quality of this forum but not the time & energy to actually contribute to it - does Stressboy have an opinion about the Butler/Howard trade, you know, besides the thread being too long???)

Old 02-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #105
Murphy3
Guru

No, UD, your opinion doesn't matter with your 10,000 posts. Post count and join date really aren't all that important. No one believes that to be the case. However, there was a time when the forum was different...and yes, better. Stressboy is just trying to get a little bit of the old feel back in this forum.. that's all.

Last edited by Murphy3; 02-16-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #106
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So because his join date says 2001, he can post insults but we "newbies" and "kiddies" aren't allowed to tell him to go shove it.

Whatever.
I don't remember calling you a "newbie" or "kiddie", but you are welcome to take offense at my comments if you want.

I didn't find his comment about people having a life that offensive. I thought it was pretty clear that he was saying that it is difficult to read a 13 page thread if you log on for the first time and see said 13 page thread. Surely that is self-evident.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:35 AM   #107
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Not to mention that he posted this crap in the General Mavs Discussion when it has nothing to do with the Mavs - just another useless thread junking up the greatest news this team has had in years...

Oh, but my 10,000+ posts and several years of PAYING for this site to stay afloat don't afford me a valid opinion about anything because I joined in 2006 instead of 2001 - people who weren't here for the "good old days" when there were only 1,000 Mavs fans on the internet are definitely what's wrong with this forum (well, at least according to folks who have the time & energy to bitch about the quality of this forum but not the time & energy to actually contribute to it - does Stressboy have an opinion about the Butler/Howard trade, you know, besides the thread being too long???)
Did anyone say your opinion wasn't valid?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #108
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
I kinda did.

Last edited by Murphy3; 02-16-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:39 AM   #109
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
No, UD, your opinion doesn't matter with your 10,000 posts. Post count and join date really aren't all that important. No one believes that to be the case. However, there was a time when the forum was different...and yes, better. Stressboy is just trying to get a little bit of the old feel back in this forum.. that's all.
If Stressboy wants to bring the "old feel" back, then he should just do it - lead by example.

If he started a new thread about whatever was on his mind about the Mavs instead of complaining about forum members, then we'd all be talking about that instead of this.

(oh, and I'm surprised you didn't lay into me harder about the uselessness of my 10,000+ posts - you're losing your touch, Murph!)

Last edited by Underdog; 02-16-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #110
Underdog

Quote:
Are you saying it is?

(pleasevalidatemeiloveyou!)

Old 02-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #111
Murphy3
Guru

I think all Stress was saying is that someone should have had the common sense to start a new thread concerning the trade sooner than what actually occurred. And no, it's not the rule of the forum to make one large thread. However, many have been chastised for starting new threads. At this point, alot of people are a bit gun shy about starting a new thread even when it's warranted. So, you end up with an unfortunate case in which there's 13 pages in one thread that obviously should have been two separate threads.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #112
Underdog

Quote:
I think all Stress was saying is that someone should have had the common sense to start a new thread concerning the trade sooner than what actually occurred. And no, it's not the rule of the forum to make one large thread. However, many have been chastised for starting new threads. At this point, alot of people are a bit gun shy about starting a new thread even when it's warranted. So, you end up with an unfortunate case in which there's 13 pages in one thread that obviously should have been two separate threads.
How about a little context here?

That thread got up to 13 pages in a little over 24 hours (almost one page every half hour after the news broke) because everyone in Mavsland was excited about our blockbuster trade - people were posting so fast that I couldn't even keep up in realtime.

The only conclusion I can draw is that there are a lot more Dallas Mavericks fans online these days than there were back in 2001... In my book, that's a good problem to have - I bet the Nets forum doesn't have "too many posts" in their threads!

Last edited by Underdog; 02-16-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #113
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I don't remember calling you a "newbie" or "kiddie", but you are welcome to take offense at my comments if you want.

I didn't find his comment about people having a life that offensive. I thought it was pretty clear that he was saying that it is difficult to read a 13 page thread if you log on for the first time and see said 13 page thread. Surely that is self-evident.
And I don't think it's offensive to tell him to enjoy DB.com if he wants a billion threads, or LoneMavs if he wants a smaller community.

How is reading 10 threads with 10 posts each any easier?

As I've said previously in this thread, if you want to complain about the "2009 General NBA Thread" fine. I get that. I understand not liking multiple conversations in one thread. But if there are 13 pages in a thread about the Butler trade...I mean what exactly should we do about that?

Quote:
As UD points out, I don't think it's at all obvious that the second Butler trade thread should have been split off into new threads.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 02-16-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #114
Murphy3
Guru

Ok...If you can't figure it out, then I suppose you're beyond help.

Sorry Stressboy, they just don't get it. Hopefully some DO get it and will start a new thread when it is warranted without being a bit scared off by those that wish to keep things in one thread regardless of the topic.

Last edited by Murphy3; 02-16-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:11 AM   #115
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Ok...If you can't figure it out, then I suppose you're beyond help.

Sorry Stressboy, they just don't get it. Hopefully some DO get it and will start a new thread when it is warranted without being a bit scared off by those that wish to keep things in one thread regardless of the topic.
No, please, oh wise sage of the internets. Please enlighten us on when the proper time is to start a new thread. According to Stress, it's when he can no longer skim a thread in a timely fashion. So should we implement a new rule that no thread so span more than five pages?

Please enlighten us.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #116
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I can't believe this was moved. Talk about taking your friggin mod rights to an all new level. Seriously team - shape up already.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #117
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male28Dan View Post
I can't believe this was moved. Talk about taking your friggin mod rights to an all new level. Seriously team - shape up already.
I love you.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #118
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

People here treat starting a new thread as if it costs the dallas-mavs.com government millionsss of dollars to do so causing taxes to increase.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #119
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion View Post
People here treat starting a new thread as if it costs the dallas-mavs.com government millionsss of dollars to do so causing taxes to increase.
I felt the same way.... but have been told I am wrong.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #120
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Are you saying it is?

(pleasevalidatemeiloveyou!)
Um, no.

Tags
124characterlimit, because older = better?, got a bit fluffy in here, igetpaidtowritetags, ineedlargerfonttoo, look at me im important, officialtagssectionhere!, oldtag vs newtag, spamaholics, theproblemhere-->, threaderrhea, twitter/dallas-mavs.com