Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #81
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
I know it's fun to hate on Carlisle for playing JJB, but whose minutes do you think JJB is going to eat into? We've already got a logjam at SF, and I'm darn near positive that he's not going to take Kidd's or Terry's minutes below 30 minutes a game. So if you trade for Martin, I'm not sure who JJB will be taking minutes from. If you give Martin, Kidd, and Terry roughly 30 minutes a piece at the two guard spots, that leaves maybe 6 minutes max for JJB. That's not really a rotation player.
He'll take a slice of Kidd's, Terry's, Martin's, Marion's, and Butler's minutes.

Perhaps you've forgotten that RC often runs a Kidd-JJB-Terry lineup.

No reason we wouldn't still see that, or a new variation involving Kidd-JJB-Martin.

I guarantee you'd at times see JJB paired on the court with two of Jet, Kidd, and Martin.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #82
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin Martin has never played on a team that was worth a crap. This, combined with absolutely nothing on the defensive end of the floor - and I mean nothing - keeps me from getting too excited about Martin.

For a team that needs somebody desperately to fill the basket, Martin has a lot of value. But Dallas isn't in that position. Could they use him? Absolutely. But under the right circumstances.

He's a guy shooting 44% on a 10-15 team. The one thing he does better than anyone in Dallas right now is get to the FT line.

But it sure makes me nervous. This guy is right there with Shareef Abdur Rahim and Mitch Richmond in terms of good stats on bad teams.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #83
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Huge gamble for the mavs, considering how injury prone both Martin and Chandler are.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #84
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkgreatness View Post
Huge gamble for the mavs, considering how injury prone both Martin and Chandler are.
As Roddy sits out the first 25 games with a foot injury...
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #85
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Rockets fans LOL at the idea

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread...6&page=1&pp=20

I'm thinking this will be another trade rumor that never actually happens.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 12-17-2010 at 01:51 PM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #86
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
He'll take a slice of Kidd's, Terry's, Martin's, Marion's, and Butler's minutes.

No reason we wouldn't still see that, or a new variation involving Kidd-JJB-Martin.

I guarantee you'd at times see JJB paired on the court with two of Jet, Kidd, and Martin.
Why would Carlisle run Kidd-Barea-Martin or Kidd-Barea-Terry when he could run Kidd-Martin-Terry as a 3-guard lineup?

The only reason Barea is part of that rotation is because he gets into the paint, something that Martin does a lot better...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #87
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Well if he really wants to go small ball, he'll still be able to go with Kidd, Terry, and Martin to get plenty of scoring punch. To be honest, I feel like part of the reason JJB gets in the game for a three guard lineup is that Carlisle wants a guard that can actually get into the lane. With Martin on board, that wouldn't really be a problem.

I really don't see JJB eating into Marion's and Butler's minutes as they are already fairly low at this point. It seems like paranoia speaking if you think he's going to cut into them even more just so he can get JJB on the court.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #88
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

^^haha, beat ya, Fin!

Last edited by Underdog; 12-17-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #89
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
^^haha, beat ya, Fin!
Stealing my thunder, are you? We'll see about that...

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #90
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Is there any way that JJB could be packaged with Haywood to land Martin...then we wouldn't have the endless JJB love/hate fest...he'd be gone and the Mavs would be better.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #91
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Well if he really wants to go small ball, he'll still be able to go with Kidd, Terry, and Martin to get plenty of scoring punch. To be honest, I feel like part of the reason JJB gets in the game for a three guard lineup is that Carlisle wants a guard that can actually get into the lane. With Martin on board, that wouldn't really be a problem.

I really don't see JJB eating into Marion's and Butler's minutes as they are already fairly low at this point. It seems like paranoia speaking if you think he's going to cut into them even more just so he can get JJB on the court.
I agree with what you're saying in theory....but RC doesn't employ rational thought when it comes to JJB. Last year people kept harping "Oh, when Marion is healthy, JJB won't be closing games ahead of him." Yet he continued to. It's pointless speculation ATM. However, if the trade DOES go down, I'd be more than happy to make a wager with you that JJB plays over 10 mpg.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #92
young_gunner

young_gunner has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Can kevin martin play some pg?
Just curious... If he can, would haywood+barrea be plausible?..
young_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #93
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
As Roddy sits out the first 25 games with a foot injury...
I'm talking about the original trade rumor, with Stevenson.. Plus I would be much more concerned about Chandler going down.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #94
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, based on today being a gameday...the article will have to sit until tomorrow for MMB.

But I do have a lot of information on this situation from a source familiar to Houston and Dallas' situation. Scouts, masking and desperation....
Old 12-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #95
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
Haywood/Beaubois
for
Kevin Martin

Would you do it?
Not sure about it. All things considered, there's a reason the Rockets could be willing to trade away their best scorer--and it's probably not just the lack of a capable center after Yao's latest injury. Martin is a great and effective scorer, but pretty much nothing else. He's had a lot of injuries in the past and has yet to prove that he can stay healthy over the course of a season. The thing that's still good about Haywood is that he's a great insurance policy considering TC's injury history and another 7-footer to throw at the Lakers with Bynum/Gasol/Odom.

It would be much easier to think about such a deal if we knew what Roddy could or couldn't bring to the table. It's too bad that it's taking him such a long time to recover from that broken foot.

Haywood/Stevenson for Martin is something I would perhaps be willing to do. Still wouldn't like to give away a 7-footer, but the upside is clearly there. Not to mention that Haywood's no longer playing like the guy that we signed to a 5-year contract.

By the way, when your team is 20-5, it's getting really difficult to be supportive of (realistic) trade scenarios...
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #96
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any authenticity for/on how this idea/rumor/speculation even started, other than Fish?

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy

Last edited by Rick41; 12-17-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #97
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan View Post
Kevin Martin has never played on a team that was worth a crap. This, combined with absolutely nothing on the defensive end of the floor - and I mean nothing - keeps me from getting too excited about Martin.

For a team that needs somebody desperately to fill the basket, Martin has a lot of value. But Dallas isn't in that position. Could they use him? Absolutely. But under the right circumstances.

He's a guy shooting 44% on a 10-15 team. The one thing he does better than anyone in Dallas right now is get to the FT line.

But it sure makes me nervous. This guy is right there with Shareef Abdur Rahim and Mitch Richmond in terms of good stats on bad teams.
I concur with some of your concerns regarding Martin. But stating that we don't desperately need an offensive player of his caliber is simply not true. The Mavs are currently ranked 16th in the NBA in PPG (not pace adjusted). Our offense is middle of the pack.

We still don't have a second option, and when the playoffs comes, teams are going to double Dirk hard and rely on Kidd, Terry and Butler to beat them with jumpshots. And as we've seen, that aint gonna happen.

I would without a moment's hesitation do Martin for DeShawn (even though he's my 2nd favorite player on the team)/Wood. Roddy would require some thought.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #98
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Plus, Martin is proven to be as brittle as jho. He has not played more than 61 games since the 06-07 season. We don't exactly know how injury prone roddy is, his current injury is kinda of a freak accident.

Last edited by Dirkgreatness; 12-17-2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Didn't make sense
Dirkgreatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #99
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

The Haywood/Stevenson rumor is laughable from Houston's perspective, and Ingram is a douche. That said, I don't at all doubt that the Mavs have a lot of interest in Martin, and I'm sure Houston has had and will continue to have internal discussions about Haywood. The situation bears watching, but I'd be happier to see Booby get healthy and pick up where he left off in the playoffs than I would be to see him get traded away for Martin.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #100
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't stop laughing at the idea that someone seriously called Kevin Martin a larger Jason Terry.

Kevin Martin is SECOND IN THE NBA in free throws made per game.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #101
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Unfortunately, based on today being a gameday...the article will have to sit until tomorrow for MMB.

But I do have a lot of information on this situation from a source familiar to Houston and Dallas' situation. Scouts, masking and desperation....
BOOOOOOO.. release the Krakken!!

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #102
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan View Post

To me though, the issue of a good scorer on a bad team usually has to do with efficiency and usage. People like Rahim could dominate the ball and score at a poor pace and no one cared because his teams sucked.

I don't really view Martin in the same light because he's such an efficient scorer and a good shooter. I definitely don't see him having an issue fitting into an offense.

Yes his defense is bad, but he doesn't strike me at all as someone that would have a problem fitting into a real offense.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 12-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #103
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger View Post
All things considered, there's a reason the Rockets could be willing to trade away their best scorer--and it's probably not just the lack of a capable center after Yao's latest injury.
I can think of about 35 million reasons a 10-15 team like Houston might want to unload Kevin Martin... Aside from adding a 7-foot center like Haywood, they're probably looking to dump salary so they can rebuild.

Last edited by Underdog; 12-17-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #104
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

To me, the biggest question about Martin defensively would be whether he can function in the Dallas zone. In theory, his length and quickness (read, recovery ability) would be helpful, even if his slight frame hurts him in man coverage. Certainly, if Dallas acquired him and got rid of Haywood (their best man-to-man defender in the post), you'd think the Mavs would only become more dependent on their zone.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #105
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that this is being publicized now makes me 99.999% certain it will never happen. When's the last time the Mavs (hell, anyone) made a big trade that was publicized more than maybe a few days in advance?

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #106
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:

We really haven't seen the three guard lineup all that much this year. There would obviously be times when Rick would continue to get creative, I feel pretty confident in saying those would be few and far between.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #107
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
To me, the biggest question about Martin defensively would be whether he can function in the Dallas zone. In theory, his length and quickness (read, recovery ability) would be helpful, even if his slight frame hurts him in man coverage. Certainly, if Dallas acquired him and got rid of Haywood (their best man-to-man defender in the post), you'd think the Mavs would only become more dependent on their zone.
Now THAT is a good point about defensive impact. I made the observation yesterday that even Haywood is playing with no energy, he still provides noticeably better man defense in the post than Chandler. That's where the defensive worry for me would come from.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #108
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
and we've stockpiled athletic back-up centers so I'm not really worried there.
Mahinmi and Ajinca will average one foul per minute in the playoff against a great team because they have no standing whatsoever...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #109
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
The fact that this is being publicized now makes me 99.999% certain it will never happen. When's the last time the Mavs (hell, anyone) made a big trade that was publicized more than maybe a few days in advance?
This hasn't really been publicized more than "the Rockets like Haywood" and "the Mavs have always liked Martin". Everything else has been pure conjecture, unless I missed something.

And I would say the Butler trade had a long lead up to it with many stories being written about the Mavs' interest in him.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #110
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Also, if somehow a trade for Martin were to happen (and I think it's highly unlikely) I think the next logical move would be to see if you can move Butler's expiring contract for a backup big man. Preferably a big man that can also play PF as well as center, because if Marion's going to play big minutes at small forward you have to figure out what to do about backup PF.

There's a lot of ripple effects in a lot of these trade scenarios due to how intertwined the Mav rotation is.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #111
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

I think a deal is possible, but I also think it might have to come as part of a bigger package. Either as a deal also including additional players from Dallas and Houston or as part of a three-way deal.

Haywood/Stevenson/Jones/Ajinca for Martin/Miller works. BTW: Haywood/Beaubois for Martin doesn't meet the salary cap rules.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #112
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousSummer View Post
I think a deal is possible, but I also think it might have to come as part of a bigger package. Either as a deal also including additional players from Dallas and Houston or as part of a three-way deal.

Haywood/Stevenson/Jones/Ajinca for Martin/Miller works. BTW: Haywood/Beaubois for Martin doesn't meet the salary cap rules.
Just barely. You could throw in any one of Novak, Cardinal, Ajinca, maybe even Tim Thomas' contract, depending on what happened with that.

I actually looked up Miller's contract earlier. I wonder if they'd want to offload him or if they view him as an asset.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 12-17-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #113
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Haywood/Stevenson/Jones/Ajinca for Martin/Miller No way!!!I want this trade but you know I like Stevenson.He is good defending player we need him in Dallas.
Haywood/Jones/Ajinca/Roddy for Martin/Miler This will be good deal for Houston and for us

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #114
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Just barely. You could throw in any one of Novak, Cardinal, Ajinca, maybe even Tim Thomas' contract, depending on what happened with that.

I actually looked up Miller's contract earlier. I wonder if they'd want to offload him or if they view him as an asset.
There is one way for the Mavericks to really absolve themselves of Haywood and not really mess with their center situation in a deal with Houston...it actually makes the Mavericks even more flexible.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #115
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
There is one way for the Mavericks to really absolve themselves of Haywood and not really mess with their center situation in a deal with Houston...it actually makes the Mavericks even more flexible.
Well..maybe. I'm not sure how useful centers that can't play defense are to the Mavs. Especially ones that seem to not rebound anymore.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #116
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold

There's no way I'd do this if it includes Roddy... you can see how high the Rockets fans are on him and would only considering the deal with him in it. They see how lazy and over paid Haywood is as well. This is just a pipe dream.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #117
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

On first glance, it looks like a killing of a trade but bouncing around some forums, it doesn't look so one-sided.

One, we are banking Tyson being healthy.
Two, Tyson playing more minutes and remaining as effective as he has been.

I am going back to neutral on Wood/Beaubois/misc. for Martin.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #118
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Well..maybe. I'm not sure how useful centers that can't play defense are to the Mavs. Especially ones that seem to not rebound anymore.
Money-wise, it works. It's thrusting Ian into the backup role, but it's an insurance policy.

Maybe a new team brings a new outlook...or, worst-case, it's a cruddy player, but one that isn't a malcontent. Chemistry Addition by Talent subtraction.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 12-17-2010 at 03:13 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #119
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I think some people around here underrate the value of centers. Most reasonable non-espn (Bill Simmons) people believe Haywood's contract is reasonable. I'd bet it's more than reasonable to Houston right now. There will almost always be a team that needs a pg or center. We're one of the best teams in the league and Houston isn't....that puts us in the driver's seat. Martin for Haywood/Stevenson is decent, but I'd tap the breaks a bit before throwing in Roddy.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:29 PM   #120
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=37gcjug

What do you guys think? We would be shooting all our trade wads.. if possible, you could try to plug in Dojo/1st for Roddy?

Kidd/JET
Martin/Lee
Battier/Marion
Dirk/Marion
Chandler/Miller

Tags
return of the quack!