Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-07-2001, 11:05 PM   #1
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

He's Awesome! Ya'll know who Lance Armstrong is right? He's the cyclist who's won the last 2 Tour de France races. After surviving cancer. Well, he's awesome. And this years race just got underway and he's gonna win this years too. He's 4 seconds off the lead after the first stage.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2001, 11:12 PM   #2
NotEnuffEyesToSee

NotEnuffEyesToSee is on a distinguished road

3-peat, of course. I think HE is the real sports HERO !!!!!
Even me, I have enough eyes to see that !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Too many lives to lead Not enough time
It's too late
NotEnuffEyesToSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 11:26 PM   #3
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Lance is one of my favorite atheletes(the other being Micheal Johnson. the sprinter.).

Old 07-07-2001, 11:27 PM   #4
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

He's awesome! He's got one of the greatest stories in sports...and it all begins here in the lone star state.
Old 07-07-2001, 11:35 PM   #5
NotEnuffEyesToSee

MJ ? another great choice !!!
but I love Marathon ... and my fav is several marathoners like Martin Fiz (Spanish),
Lee Bong-Ju (Korean) ...
It's too late
Old 07-07-2001, 11:40 PM   #6
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Are marathons popular over there? They're not here...or at least not in Greenville.
Old 07-08-2001, 12:20 AM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Lance is one of the most amazing athletes ever. His sport is the most grueling imaginable, and Lance came back from cancer to be a champion.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 12:23 AM   #8
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

2 times and going on 3.
Old 07-08-2001, 01:02 AM   #9
NotEnuffEyesToSee

I can't say Marathon is quite popular here ...
but some people say "Marathon is like Life".
and Marathon is D most important game in the Olympics.
It's what the Olymipics all about.
I'll just try to watch Marathon whenever I can.
and you have 105-year-old Boston Marathon ... you should feel proud of that !!!
It's too late
Old 07-08-2001, 08:08 AM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

we don't have it..it's in boston or something..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 09:00 AM   #11
NotEnuffEyesToSee

Are you trying to make me laugh ?
I know that, what I meant was your country ...
Don't you represent your country or something ?
It's too late
Old 07-08-2001, 09:32 AM   #12
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

NotEnuffEyesToSee - There is very little kinship between the states that were in the Confederacy and those that remained in the US (unless it's during the Olympics or a war). I'm from Texas and I rarely like anyone I meet from up north.

The American Civil War has scars that remain in our country. My grandfather heard stories from his grandfather about how badly the North abused the South during Reconstruction. Carpetbaggers stole EVERYTHING and were protected because they were Northerners. Plus, there was no legal basis for the US to force states to remain in the Union. The Southern states freely joined, they should have been allowed to freely leave.

I almost punched out a guy from England once when he called me a "Yank". I finally thought of a great comeback and I started calling him a "Mick". Man, he sure did get mad quick.
Old 07-08-2001, 09:54 AM   #13
NotEnuffEyesToSee

Thanks for your information, MFFL ...
I've been heard about the Civil War, but I didn't know you guys are still
feeling that way. Our country also have that kinda conflict ...
Not only between North and South, but also between West and East ...
I guess it's a new day there, have a good day ...
It's too late
Old 07-08-2001, 01:12 PM   #14
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

First: I have great respect for what Lance Armstrong did. But a lot of people here in Europe believe that he does drugs, because he never shows up in Europe until just a few weeks before the Tour de France. Which means he doesn´t get controlled for illigal substances here in europe. And we all know that in the US, athletes don´t have to deal with too serious doping controls. That´s no offense to you guys. But doping is just a much bigger topic over here, taken way more seriously. Actually a lot of european states have anti-doping laws now, and athletes that are tested positive will go to jail (in France, Italy). The US would never do that.

Second: Even if Lance is clean (which I want to think of him, until proven different), he will have a hard time this year. Because Jan Ullrich is much stronger than last year, and Armstrong appears to be a bit too light. He only weights 66 kg, 4 less than last year at the beginning of the tour. Given the fact that a driver loses up to 3 kg during the tour he would weight only 63 kg at the last time trial. So I believe he could lose some time there against Ullrich. We´ll see, Armstrong could be an even stronger climber than he was last year and make up for that. But watch out for Ullrich this year. It will be close. I´m especially keen to see the team time trial. Telekom has some strong time trial drivers this year (Ullrich, Vinokurov, Livingston, Klöden, Heppner), while the support cast of USPostal seem to be stronger hill-climbers.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 10:59 AM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

europeans are pissed because they are big wusses that can't play real sports...besides hockey ...well, maybe not all europeans, but the french and the english for sure.
so, present company excluded
Old 07-09-2001, 12:22 PM   #16
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

In Europe the real sport is soccer.
Let´s see: Germany 3 time world champs, Italy 3 time world champs.
England 1 time, France 1 time.
Hmm, you´re right, english and french people can´t play real sports [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2001, 12:57 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

soccer doesn't count
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
we had a discussion about that on another chat board. it doesn't count as a real sport
sorry, try again
Old 07-09-2001, 02:15 PM   #18
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Soccer is most definitly a sport. I'd like to see you run 7-10 miles kicking a ball.

Go Burn!!

Old 07-09-2001, 04:35 PM   #19
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Soccer SUX!!!
Old 07-09-2001, 10:26 PM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

that's my point, only idiots would run 7-10 miles kicking a ball
Old 07-09-2001, 10:29 PM   #21
Fidel
Diamond Member

Ok it´s pretty simple.
Europeans grow up watching Soccer, Americans grow up watching baseball. Most of the Europeans don´t understand baseball, they know nothing about the history of the sport, backgrounds, players,legends etc. So they find it boring as hell. I know a thing or two about baseball and I love that sport (unfortunately it´s not covered pretty well over here).
Now when most Americans watch a game of Soccer, which like Baseball isn´t always as flashy as Basketball or Football, they know nothing about the sport, it´s backgrounds, traditions, legends etc. They have just no emotional relationhip with soccer. So it´boring for them to watch it. Speaking about Soccer an emotional relationship and a deep understanding of tactics and technique of the game is needed to enjoy it. I think it´s just the same with baseball, and so it´s obvious why most Europeans don´t like Baseball and most Americans don´t like Soccer. But Soccer is a simple game (regarding the rules) so I think it will get more and more fans in Asia and North America.
Old 07-09-2001, 11:08 PM   #22
MFFL
Guru

Speaking about Soccer an emotional relationship and a deep understanding of tactics and technique of the game is needed to enjoy it.

So why are all the players such wimps? Every minute or so someone falls to the ground crying in absolute anguish. I've seen 3 year old that were tougher.
Old 07-09-2001, 11:11 PM   #23
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

They go to the Malone and Stockton School of Flopping. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-10-2001, 08:16 AM   #24
NotEnuffEyesToSee

I NEVER liked soccer, basketball, baseball ... all other sports when I was a kid.
I just couldn't understand why people liked sports, so I decided to find out ...
and I found something ... that is every sports game has its own value.

Soccer RULES in Asia already,
and I know there're more than 6 million soccer fans in the US.
I guess most of them are women or Hispanic, but the numbers are increasing ...
you know, Hispanic populatin is increasing rapidly,
soon they might outnumber your population ... so Soccer will outsurvive ...

Americans often criticize that soccer players are a cry baby,
yeah, I agree and I'm sick of that, too...
but you gotta understand that, there's a REASON for it ...

Soccer is not a real sport ? How about American football ?
I don't know why you guys keep calling that "FOOT"ball,
that's not FOOTball, I can hardly see players kicking the ball,
always passing, carrying and running ...

Even a basketball or a volleyball player kicks the ball sometimes.
but you don't call those games FOOTball, do ya ?
Soccer is the REAL FOOTball, YOU can see that !!!!! so soccer is a REAL sport.

There're people who keep dissing the Mavs, what do you think of them ?
They don't know anything about the Mavs, so they keep dissing ...
By the Same token, you don't know anything about soccer, so ...
The botton line is "Every sports has its own WORTH".
It's too late
Old 07-10-2001, 08:30 AM   #25
NotEnuffEyesToSee

<< europeans are pissed because they are big wusses that can't play real sports...
besides hockey ...well, maybe not all europeans, but the french and the english for sure.
>>

John Amaechi (Orlando Magic player. He was born in Boston for sure,
But raised in Manchster, England. His accent is English
and he thinks he's English, so he's English.)
And the Dream Team barely beat France in the Olympic Final last year ...
It's too late
Old 07-10-2001, 11:01 AM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

oops, you got me...that's all the proof i need...
sorry the U.S. basketball team forgot to wake up for the olympics last year
Old 07-10-2001, 08:33 PM   #27
Fidel
Diamond Member

Actually Soccer players get tackled out of full running with spikes made of pure Iron. That hurts. Soccer players get injured often and serious, especially Goalgetters. To protect themselefes they flop. They do also flop to gain an unfair advantage, just like in any other sport. The refs are supposed to sort it out, and as every basketball fan knows, sometimes they don´t get it done.
Old 07-10-2001, 08:36 PM   #28
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Soccer's not much fun to watch imo but it's a lot of fun to play. I played in highschool (I wasn't that great but oh well) and had a lot of fun. Fidel's right though..it's not much fun to get kicked by a guy wearing 1.5&quot; steal studs. I also almost lost an eye when this kid punted the ball right into my face. I remember all the blood, and a lot of fluid leaked into my left eye. Was blind for about a week but I was back to full health a couple months later.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 10:03 PM   #29
MFFL
Guru

I'm sorry but soccer is a game for wimps. Play rugby if you want to be a real man. Anyone who takes a crying flop in rugby would probably be beaten up by his own team.
Old 07-10-2001, 10:52 PM   #30
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Anyway, back to Lance, he's fallin back to 7th place but is only 21 seconds behind the leader. Still has his strongest portion of the race to go.

Old 07-11-2001, 09:39 AM   #31
NotEnuffEyesToSee

Wow, djbacklash, you could have been me, NotEnuffI's2C [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ...
It's too late
Old 07-11-2001, 12:58 PM   #32
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Ya azns sure love to play soccer and tennis (or in my case, racquetball) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2001, 03:19 PM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

No, soccer's not a sport for wimps...it's just a boring game.
No, it's not fun to play, unless you have poor judgment of what's entertaining and what's not.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2001, 05:03 PM   #34
Fidel
Diamond Member

Hey Rob,
who has the lead right now doesn´t mean anything. O´Grady is a sprinter. He will lose hours in the Alps. The drivers that want to win the tour wouldn´t care if they lost 10 min. now to someone like O`Grady or Kirsipuu. They would even let Jalaber or Jaksche gain some minutes cause they know they will beat them in the mountains. So the only interessting question regarding the tour victory is what time lies between the favorites. These are Armstrong, Ullrich, Beloki, Moreau. Casagranda already had to give up because of injury. The others are pretty close right now.
That will change tomorrow, in the team time-trial. Telekom should be the strongest time trial team this year with Ullrich, Vinokurov and Kl&ouml;den all being very good in time trial. Wesemann, Heppner and B&ouml;lts are also good at it. USPostal has more good hill climbers this year like Heras and Pena. I think Armstrong will lose some time tomorrow.
Ullrich will win the Tour this year.
Old 07-11-2001, 07:55 PM   #35
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Thanks for the info Fidel. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I really don't know(or heard of) any of those guys. I'm just hoping Armstrong can pull out another win because he's a hometown guy and an insperation to everyone. I really don't even like cycling or pay any attention to it.

Old 07-12-2001, 12:29 PM   #36
djb
Administrator

Two Armstrong riders take tumble

BAR-LE-DUC, France -- The Credit Agricole team of overall race leader Stuart O'Grady won the Tour de France fifth stage, a 67-km team time trial from Verdun to Bar-le-Duc on Thursday.

Credit Agricole clocked a time of one hour 21 minutes and 32 seconds finishing ahead of Once and Festina respectively second and third.

Australia's O'Grady retained the overall leader's yellow jersey.

Lance Armstrong's U.S. Postal outfit were fourth, finishing one minute 26 seconds behind Credit Agricole after two of their riders fell in the lashing rain.

Armstrong, the American chasing a hat-trick of victories, lost 55 seconds to the ONCE team of Joseba Beloki in second place and 32 to Christophe Moreau's third-placed Festina in the 67-kilometre run from Verdun to Bar-le-Duc.

Beloki and Moreau are both dangerous rivals for overall victory but Armstrong will be grateful to have limited the damage after his teammates Christian Vandevelde and Roberto Heras were involved in the crash.

Armstrong will also be pleased to have gained 24 seconds on his chief rival for the yellow jersey, Jan Ullrich, whose Telekom team finished down in a disappointing seventh.

Source: Two Armstrong riders take tumble
Old 07-13-2001, 11:35 AM   #37
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Hmmm...I didn't know they raced in teams.
Old 07-13-2001, 02:12 PM   #38
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Lance is something like 1:50 seconds behind now because of his teams mates falling. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 07-13-2001, 02:20 PM   #39
Murphy3
Guru

i can't say i'm a fan of cycling, but i do wish armstrong nothing but the best. he'll pick up some time when they head to the mountain stages
Old 07-13-2001, 08:15 PM   #40
Fidel
Diamond Member

Telwkom had some bad luck too. They lost 3 of their 9 riders due to technical problems with their bikes. So thzey had to go for the last 10 km with just 6 riders, which was a clear disadvantage. My prediction was wrong anyways, but they could have matched or slightly beaten the time of USPostal. But there were some teams this year (different from last years tour) that seemed to have concentrated pretty strongly on the team time trial. These were Credit Acricol, Festina and Once. A real surprise was Kelme, they are normaly known for strong performance in the mountains. For all you Armstrong fans: there´s still no need to worry. Beloki and Moureau (the 2 strongest drivers who gained some time yesterday) won´t be strong enough overall to threaten Armstrong or Ullrich. The winner will be one of those two. Decision time is monday (most difficult mountain stage this year) and thursday (single mountain time trial).
I strongly hope Ullrich wins it this year, but if it´s Armstrong again that´s ok with me too.