Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-01-2002, 05:40 PM   #1
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Copied from Clutchcity.net

<< A California family is sueing Alpha Kappa Alpha Soroity Inc. for a hazing incident that killed two girls. One 22yrs, the other 24 yrs old. The two were reportedly on Sept 9 &quot;blindfolded and tied their hands and their bodies and led into the rip tide of the ocean&quot;. Makes you sick right? One of the girls family is sueing AKA Inc. for 100 million dollars in a wrongful death lawsuit. What do you think? I know that their is still hazing going on in soroities and fraternities, but this is too far!! >>

This brings up my question: Are you for or against social fraternities/sororities and why?

Old 10-01-2002, 05:47 PM   #2
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I shall go first. I actually think I might have mentioned my dislike for frats and sowhorities in the past, but I'll reiterate my dislike here. Let me preface this by saying that I am not a social outcast incapable of being in a frat. When I was a freshman I received 2 invitations, but declined. Why?

I don't particularly know where this stems from, but I've ALWAYS viewed these organizations as evil. I know lots of people think they're bad just because of the &quot;pay for your friends&quot; stuff (not that I disagree with that). I think they are evil for a variety of reasons other than that. One being the social elitism that they create and encourage. Another being the shit they get away with. Last, they're f#cking snobs. Sorry if this offends any of you, but a majority of the guys I know who are in frats are such snobs it sickens me.

Anyway, I'll eleborate more if it is needed, but I just wanted to see what some of ya'll thought.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:56 PM   #3
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

Not being from America, my only views of frats &amp; sororities have been negative.
The occasional hazing story on the news, movies &amp; tv shows.
I've never been one for that kind of thing though...probably because i'm a social outcast [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 06:47 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in a frat, but it was a bunch of good ole' boys IMO. Nothing elite unless you you mean we had the biggest parties and invited everyone. It's the ones that don't use their head that F it up for the others. But you are dead on. The frat/sorority culture is dominated by elitists and holier than thous at a LOT of schools.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 07:46 PM   #5
NBAfreak02

NBAfreak02 is on a distinguished road

man...thats disturbing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2002, 07:58 PM   #6
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Ocelot, you picked the right school to go to, with that opinion. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

whoop!

Doc is right in that there are some orgs that are good ol' boys and whatnot.. but by and large, they do little more than extend the culture of High School beyond high school [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] at A&amp;M, anyway, imho.

Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 09:31 PM   #7
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Yeah Rhylan, I noticed. I was hoping that the rumors of the &quot;friendliest campus&quot; were true...but man. You still have the same BS. Arkansas was the same way, but I didn't care if they looked down on me for not being in a frat, atleast I wasn't from Arkansas [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2002, 09:48 PM   #8
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah.. A&amp;M is fairly non-Greek compared to UT or Tech, for sure. But.. some of the frat/soro peeps do seem to keep only to themselves and each other --- like I said, it's a herd atmosphere. They have their three or four places that they all go out to EVERY NIGHT.. and the guys have their three or four solid blue button-down shirts that they roll the sleeves up and wear with khakis ALL THE TIME.. like little Hitler Youth [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

... but I don't really have an opinion [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 10:00 PM   #9
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

I thin you just summed up how i feel about the Rhylan.
haha, good, so they are portrayed the right way in Australia [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 07:55 AM   #10
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

doc summed up my attitude. and rhylan just described a lot of the frat guys at my school. i was in one, but it was by far one of the lowest things on my priority list (that and classes... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ). I made some good friends, but my best friends from college weren't in a fraternity. i was kind of into it my first one and a half years. partying all the time, hanging out (never wore the frat &quot;uniform&quot; though, rhylan). but in my junior and senior year, i was hanging out with them less and less. a lot of the guys were really into the fraternity thing, and that wasn't what i wanted to be, so i distanced my self from it. of course, i still went to parties, but really didn't hang with my &quot;brothers&quot; at all.

ok, do i consider the guys in my fraternity, or others in my fraternity across the nation, my brothers? hell no, of course not. that's ridiculous. some of them from my school are friends, some acquaintances, others i hated. as far as hanging with people in my fraternity from other schools, i would NEVER do that. but i know people that would, and to me, that just seems pathetic, like good ol' wooderson still going to high school parties.

ok, hazing. i never hazed. never wanted to. the problem is that hazing is a neverending cycle. freshmen get hazed, then turn around and to it to the next class because &quot;it's their turn&quot; and &quot;it was done to me&quot; or &quot;it's a tradition.&quot; hazing sucks, period. and it's the stupid guys that give a black eye to everyone else. when i was in school, a friend of mine was an SAE at LSU. his fraternity accidentally killed a guy (made him drink; when he was too drunk to imbibe anymore, they forced drinks down his throat. the threw all the pledges in a room, and when they went to get them the next morning, that kid was dead). needless to say, they got the boot, and all fraternities were on close watch that year (i know all the ones at my school were, and i was in TN).

so, if you didn't want to read everything i wrote: there are A LOT of bad aspects of fraternities and sororities. some good aspects. i wouldn't judge someone harshly either way, if the decided to join one or not to.

there wasn't too much social elitism of frats and sororities at my school, so i can't comment on that. but then again, i didn't go to a huge school (mine was enrollemnt of about 1500). (i did visit Ole Miss a couple times with friends, and the social elitism is RAMPANT there, so i definitely know it exists).