Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-27-2005, 08:32 PM   #601
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Cowboys offseason Thread

Finally they are starting to look like they have an offense. D doesn't look to bad either late in the 2nd.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2005, 08:38 PM   #602
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Cowboys offseason Thread

That was a horribly managed last play. But it definitely doesn't bode well for Cortez that he couldn't get it done when forced into that situation.

Sort of encouraging couple of drives. It feels like sometimes the offense just clicks into place & they look like they're going to be fine. But then they look the way they looked in the first quarter & you have to be worried. I wish we could see some sort of consistency.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:18 PM   #603
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

bright spot for the offense: Clayton. he seems to have some big play ability. reminds me of Lelie...doesn't catch a lot of balls but when he does they're for plenty of yards
Old 08-27-2005, 10:48 PM   #604
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

Q Morgan is in trouble of not making this team.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:57 PM   #605
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: snoop
Q Morgan is in trouble of not making this team.
I say he's gone....Big Bill will once again cut his losses

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 11:00 PM   #606
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I didn't think that TD atoned for the fact that Morgan hasn't done anything else this camp. I thought it was a better sign for Romo than Morgan. Any way we can move him & get some value back?

Besides the dropped snap on the FG, I thought Romo looked pretty solid. He's one confident dude. Henson didn't even get in the game, & I won't buy it when Parcells says it didn't mean anything.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:13 PM   #607
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

I missed it.

How did ware look?... and the other rookies?

Sounds like Bledsoe moved the ball well, but was it against the 1st or 2nd string texans def?

somebody fill me in.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:34 PM   #608
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Ware got to/near the QB all night....studd potential

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 11:41 PM   #609
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Ware got to/near the QB all night....studd potential
...with two d's.

Old 08-28-2005, 12:16 AM   #610
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: capitalcity
I missed it.

How did ware look?... and the other rookies?

Sounds like Bledsoe moved the ball well, but was it against the 1st or 2nd string texans def?

somebody fill me in.
Ware looked very much like a rookie. Be patient with him.

Spears didn't play.

Burnett appeared quite ready to play in a backup role.

Barber was out with injury.

Canty I didn't see much of in this game, but rest assured that he will contribute much this year.

Beriault was out with a knee. But don't worry about him. He'll play on special teams and probably in the dime package.

Petitti played very well, I thought. He was rolled up on on one play, but stayed in the game. I'm sure earning points with the coaching staff in the process. He starts on opening day.

Ratliff was very pleasing for a seventh-rounder. He made at least one nice play on defense, not to mention contributing on offense in the goal-line package. He makes the team, too.

Thompson was Thompson. Wild horses couldn't keep him off this team.

I don't know how they did it, but I think the Cowboys made a draft this year that will boost them for years to come. I think they found a starter on the offensive line and four rotation players in the front seven, including a tremendous playmaker. This is the kind of draft that puts teams squarely in contention, sooner rather than later.

Did Keith Davis own up to the starting free safety job tonight? He hit like a ton.

It was nice to see Terry Glenn get into the game plan a little bit. Watch him, my friends. When the season gets underway, he's going to make some big plays.

Terrence Newman is ready to step into the Pro Bowl. Only now are we realizing how hindered he was last year by the other side of the field. The guy is proving upon the promise he showed out of college.

I could do without Quincy Morgan. Patrick Crayton, on the other hand? God bless Patrick Crayton.

I don't mean to oversell Tony Romo--really, I don't--but I think he starts for someone before his career is out. I kinda hope it's Dallas. I wonder if he's got a ceiling at all. The guy is so far ahead of Henson, it's not even funny.

I guess we keep Henson for third string, and Vinny keeps his tee time for tomorrow morning. But I don't think the kid is going anywhere. It might not be such a good idea to leave football for so many years at such a young age.

chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:03 AM   #611
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

i missed the cowboys game, i had a bball game tonight =\

i read the espn recap and it mentioned something between roy williams and mark bruneur and how after the altercation roy was hitting the houston players with added anger providing for some big time collisions, can anyone elaborate?

i think we may have the rookie defensive player of the year in ware
probowlers on defense in newman, nguyen, and williams
with potential probowlers everywhere

im so ready for the season to start

san diego chargers = no gates because of suspension

if we dont start the season 1-0 this year i'll be pretty pissed

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 11:23 AM   #612
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Oh, so thats why Roy was hitting so hard. Yeah he was nuts. Some WR I can't remember his name was running down the middle and carr over threw him but he still managed to tip the ball. Roy williams was coming right at him when he tipped it, he didn't even look up to try to catch the ball, just let it go over him, and then he Nailed the guy in the back top of his shoulderpads. It looked very painful, the guy's head nearly hit the ground.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:46 PM   #613
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Peerless Price and Peter Warrick were released by the Falcons and Bengals respectively. Peerless played with Drew in Buffalo. He would be an upgrade for this offense.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:03 PM   #614
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
Peerless Price and Peter Warrick were released by the Falcons and Bengals respectively. Peerless played with Drew in Buffalo. He would be an upgrade for this offense.
What a complete and utter disaster for Price with the Falcons. Perfect example of what happens when an average receiver benefits from a stud on the other side of the field from him, ala Alvin Harper.

Look for much of the same this year from Burress, although not to that degree, I don't think.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:19 PM   #615
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, the Cowboys just shredded the Jaguars in that first possession worse than the Bears will shred the Mustangs this Saturday. Errr, or is it the Mustangs shredding the Bears? I get confused!

I swear, that Julius Jones reminds me a little of Emmitt Smith when he runs.

Oh, and Terry Glenn is on my fantasy team!
Old 09-01-2005, 07:29 PM   #616
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Watchin the Jaguars' game and damn! Bledsoe looks rock solid!
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:34 PM   #617
ames7
Diamond Member

Julius Jones is going to have a monster year. You can see it. And this is definitely the best I've felt about Bledsoe &, really, the entire first team offense. Rivera makes a difference.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:58 PM   #618
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

wow. I think im starting to love this defensive line. Spears could be a monster. glover, spears, canty,ellis, ware. I think these guys will tear into offensive lines this year..just rip them apart.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:04 PM   #619
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The defense looked outstanding on the goal line stand. wow.

Novak with the long FG...could spell doom for chummy's boy Cortez.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:04 PM   #620
ames7
Diamond Member

Anthony Thomas looking pretty good tonight. There's definitely no way you can go into the season w/out him, I think.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:09 PM   #621
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like the looks of our defensive special teams on punt returns. Every team we've played so far has gained huge yards off the return.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:11 PM   #622
capitalcity
Diamond Member

me likey d. ware.

double digit sacks in 2005!
Old 09-01-2005, 08:13 PM   #623
ames7
Diamond Member

Hey! Nice return by Newman. I'd really like to see some of that this year if Bill would let him.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:13 PM   #624
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: ames7
Anthony Thomas looking pretty good tonight. There's definitely no way you can go into the season w/out him, I think.
The A-Train is rolling. I can't wait to see the cowboy's two-headed monster in action this season.

Old 09-01-2005, 08:21 PM   #625
ames7
Diamond Member

Whoa, can't be missing 40-yarders, Novak.

Romo doesn't look quite as sharp tonight. Wonder if Henson will make the most of this last opportunity.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:23 PM   #626
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

It got sloppy at the end.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:35 PM   #627
Drbio
Banned

We need a reliable kicker and there isn't one on the roster right now.

A-Train just cemented his position.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:04 PM   #628
chumdawg
Guru

Please, Doc. Have you seen my boy Cortez the KILLER kick the ball off? It's in the end zone every time, usually no less than five yards deep.

And don't tell me about this Yana Novotna, or whatever he is called. I'm not sure he got that one kickoff even past the twenty. And that 49-yarder had no distance to spare.

It's the Killer all the way. Now if Yahoo will go ahead and add him to the list of available kickers so I can pick him up, all will be good.

A-Train was very impressive tonight. I guess Bill is going with four tailbacks this year. No way he lets go of the former Tiger great Tyson Thompson!
Old 09-01-2005, 09:25 PM   #629
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Meh.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:32 PM   #630
ames7
Diamond Member

It's stunning how brutal a camp Henson's had. The backup battle was over 2 weeks ago, but way to really seal the deal there, Drew.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:40 PM   #631
chumdawg
Guru

Drew sucks!
Old 09-01-2005, 10:11 PM   #632
ames7
Diamond Member

Tyson Thompson = on the team. Gotta love this kid.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:15 PM   #633
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: ames7
Tyson Thompson = on the team. Gotta love this kid.
You know it!!!!!
Old 09-01-2005, 10:46 PM   #634
chumdawg
Guru

That was a nice moment in the postgame, when Bill talked about the kid. What a great story.

I love Bill Parcells. He so often finds the right buttons to push. What I like about Thompson is that he doesn't appear to be all full of himself. He scored three times in preseason, and never once did he even spike the ball. I think...he might be a Parcells guy!

Anyway, very nice story. Way to represent my hometown, Tyson, even if you did play for an opposing school.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:54 PM   #635
Drbio
Banned

And a better one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2005, 10:59 PM   #636
ames7
Diamond Member

Best part of this game? No injuries. First team looked ready to go. Yay for the end of preseason! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2005, 11:11 PM   #637
Drbio
Banned

Is the team 100% healthy going into week one? Has that ever happened?

Also, anything new on Price coming to Dallas? His agent said that he was negotiating with Steven Jones.

Dallas Cowboys: The Cowboys appear to be leading the sweepstakes for receiver Peerless Price, who was released Tuesday by the Falcons, The Dallas Morning News reported.

Coach Bill Parcells told the paper he had spoken with Price, and the receiver's agent, Tim McGee, said Price was to speak with Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones for the second time on Wednesday.

"I think he's a pretty good player," Parcells said of Price. "We're just trying to turn over every rock."

Price is a former teammate of then-Bills quarterback Drew Bledsoe.

"With Drew's relationship with Peerless, that's something we'd like to explore," McGee told the paper Tuesday of the talks with Dallas.

However, Parcells also told the paper he believed the Cowboys' "receiving corps will be OK" without adding Price.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:22 PM   #638
chumdawg
Guru

Yes, the team is 100% healthy. Beriault is hurt, apparently, but probably he spends the year on injured reserve. Has it happened before? I'm sure it has. But it's terrific that they are healthy this year.

Price? I think he might come on board. But Crayton is definitely in the rotation. Price comes and Morgan goes, the way I see it breaking down. I just hope someone will give us a draft choice for Morgan.

This is the best team the Cowboys have had in almost ten years.

How about Spears tonight? Great to see some production out of him.

I can't tell you how beautiful it was to see that deep ball go to Glenn. We'll see more of that in the regular season. It's been under wraps so far in the preseason.

Oh, and Doc, no way Irving is the better team than Nimitz. That's like saying that SMU has it over Baylor. There's no comparison!

P.S. Watch former Nimitz great Huff in the defensive secondary at UT this year. He's a first-day draft choice. Maybe a high one!
Old 09-01-2005, 11:50 PM   #639
Drbio
Banned

Obviously my mistake there chummy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2005, 11:52 PM   #640
ames7
Diamond Member

Beriault's thing is a "condition," which is worrisome, but you have to like what little we did see from him. I say IR him, do the surgery & keep him so he'll have another shot next year. The only other guy who didn't play was Barber, but he dressed, so maybe it was just precautionary? In any case, was actually good b/c we got to see a lot of the A-Train.

Man, I know a lot of people are saying Price isn't all that, but I do not like Morgan's attitude right now. He is so ready to go play for someone else, I just don't think we'd get much out of him if we kept him as essentially a 4th receiver. At the same time, if we don't get Price, I don't think they can afford to not keep him & depend on Crayton.