Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-01-2005, 11:52 PM   #641
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Cowboys offseason Thread

Anybody else find it ironic that the year we go to a three man front, we have more dept on the line than we've had since the early 90's? This Pepper Johnson kid keeps making plays, Ratliff has been disruptive at times, Canty is looking like a 4th round steal and Spears is going to be a beast. That's not even counting dependable vets like Ellis, Glover and Ferguson. We have the potential to be a really good defense. They’ll give up some plays but unlike last year, we have the "catalytic" elements to make plays also.

Another think to look at: when somebody makes a play, be it in the secondary or up front, you have three or four guys jumping up and down and patting him on the head. That's a defense that’s developing a swagger and feeling good about themselves in the process. Now it may be a different story when they get hit in the mouth for the 1st time...we’ll see. Right now I'm feeling good about this unit.

Bring on the Chargers…
Old 09-02-2005, 12:43 AM   #642
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

According to ESPN.com's recap article, Peerless Price spent tonight's game in the luxury booth with Jerry Jones. He'd be a great guy to stretch the field. He seems like he's capable of being a great #2, just not a #1.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:58 AM   #643
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

That's not totally true. Jerry was interview at halftime and said that Price was probably just arriving at the airport…he’s taking a physical in the morning so I guess that’s a good sign.

I can see our offense being like the Pats without Brady. Although they don't have an elite receiver, they have a number of guys that can beat you. Imaging the running room for Julius when we go to our 3 and 4 receiver sets...
Old 09-02-2005, 01:01 AM   #644
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

From ESPN.com:

Another interesting member of the crowd was free-agent receiver Peerless Price, who was waived this week by Atlanta. Price had his best year while playing in Buffalo with Bledsoe. Price watched the second half from the luxury suite of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and is scheduled to meet with club officials Friday morning.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:05 AM   #645
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I expect our offense to be a well-oiled machine. With our without Price.

I'm sticking by my 11-5 prediction.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:11 AM   #646
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I thought you were going with 10-6...where did the extra win come from?
Old 09-02-2005, 01:19 AM   #647
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

It came from DeMarcus Ware, and the preseason in general. I should probably play it safe and stick with the original prediction. But, hey. When you have a hunch, bet a bunch!

EDIT: How do you see it?
Old 09-02-2005, 01:53 AM   #648
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I see 10-6 but 11-5 isn't out of the question.

I think we have a chance to be a good offensive team, i just weary of our tendency to shoot ourselves in the foot...ie the Keyshawn 15 yarder. We have to avoid the mental mistakes that kill drives because we're not explosive enough to overcome them
Old 09-02-2005, 09:14 AM   #649
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

missed the game....a couple of you mentioned plays that Spears made....please give the low down.

also...how did Ware look?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:37 AM   #650
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Cowboys offseason Thread

how about our secondary?
who played starting safety alongside ro?
who was our right tackle?
did bledsoe have any 'he holds the ball too long' outbreaks?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:29 AM   #651
chumdawg
Guru

Sikey-- A couple times Spears rose up out of the ground like a giant man-beast and completely devoured everything in his path. He looked big and strong and good. You will like him.

Alby-- Keith Davis played free safety, and likely will on opening day. If the team has a big questionmark, it's right here. But for the most part, the secondary was okay. The big thing is that the corners can cover. Henry looks like a great addition. He had a nice game, I think.

Petitti played right tackle, and reportedly played very well. I guess he probably won the job.

No, Bledsoe did not. In fact, he didn't do anything negative. He wasn't out there long enough to. (Well, he did throw one ball kinda behind Keyshawn that may have cost us a few yards, but no big deal, as Key caught the ball anyway.) For the most part, he was either handing it to Jones and watching him eat up yardage, or he was hitting open receivers. The 40-yard touchdown pass to Glenn was a beautifully thrown ball.

Can't wait for the 11th!
Old 09-02-2005, 10:38 AM   #652
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
No, Bledsoe did not. In fact, he didn't do anything negative.
Don't forget the pass to Whitten in the end zone when he threw into triple coverage...he had Keyshawn running a slant for an easy touchdown.

Based on what I've seen in the pre-season, he doesn't seem to be developing a chemistry with Keyshawn...kind of a small sample size though. He’ll find that outside of Whitten, Keyshawn will be his biggest security blanket…just put it out there and he’ll go get it.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:49 AM   #653
chumdawg
Guru

Yeah, I forgot about that pass. Don't you think he was more or less throwing it away, though? I know that I cringed when I all those blue shirts around. But the pass was pretty high. I'll go back and watch the tape. I certainly didn't notice an open Keyshawn.

That's an interesting observation about Bledsoe and Key. True about the small sample size. He didn't throw much to Glenn, either. I'm hoping for a good season from Keyshawn, that's for sure.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:01 AM   #654
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the info chummy...did Ware do anything worth noting?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 09-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #655
chumdawg
Guru

I can't recall anything extra special from Ware. There was one play where he got quick penetration and forced a risky pass. He did get a bad penalty in pass coverage, I think. Can't remember the details in specific, but I think it reversed a big play for us.

Canty looked good again, though. I think Burnett made a couple plays, too, including a nice tackle on special teams. It's crazy, the front seven. Dirno is right, we've added all kinds of depth. First we get Ferguson. Then we get Ware and Spears in the draft. Then we get Burnett and Canty. Then we get Ratliff in the seventh round and Pepper Johnson in free agency. I *think* both those guys make the team. What a makeover. I wonder if Ogbogu stays.

Oh, and Ellis had a pretty sack.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:23 AM   #656
sike
The Preacha

Does anyone have opinion on the new CB Henry? I've heard very little about his game?

Old 09-02-2005, 12:06 PM   #657
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I really think Henry is going to be a huge key addition. He broke up 2 passes in the Jags' first drive last night. He looks like SUCH an upgrade at CB, it's not even funny. Even better, he appears to be a really good influence on Newman, who looks like he's going to revert back to 2 years ago, I expect a much better showing from him this year. His confidence is way up, he's back to making plays.

Regarding Keyshawn, he & Bledsoe don't look quite in sync, particularly, Bledsoe doesn't seem as comfortable throwing to him as he does w/Glenn. I am hoping that this is mostly Keyshawn laying low in preseason. I think they'll be fine when it counts. Bledsoe will realize just b/c Keyshawn doesn't look like he's open doesn't mean you can't throw to him.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:15 PM   #658
sike
The Preacha

thanks amy, good to hear about Henry.

Old 09-02-2005, 02:49 PM   #659
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Just my 2cents but --- they look like they might have the pieces finally again. Now, will they gel ? ? ? Who knows......

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:58 PM   #660
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

thanks CD =]

quick question:
pearless price. yes or no?
explain

Contact Me
Old 09-02-2005, 03:24 PM   #661
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
pearless price. yes or no?
Doubt they sign him, but if the $$$ etc can be worked out, I say yes.
Keyshawn and Glenn aren't getting any younger, and when they go 4 wides with Crayton and Price -- watch out.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 04:32 PM   #662
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes if the money is right. Price would be a reliable good hands guy in the 3-4 receiver range who could step up to #2 on good days. His familiarity with Bledsoe can only be a good thing.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 04:45 PM   #663
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
His familiarity with Bledsoe can only be a good thing.
unless they hate each other....then they would have to fight the death in the "Octagon"!!!!

Old 09-03-2005, 05:18 PM   #664
dirno2000
Diamond Member

The Dallas Cowboys won the Peerless Price sweepstakes Saturday, reaching agreement on a one-year contract worth $2 million.

The Cowboys beat out the Patriots, Dolphins and Saints in a competitive couple days of recruiting and negotiating with Price, who was released by the Atlanta Falcons in the cutdown to 65 earlier in the week.

On Friday, the numbers were at the $1.5 million level. The Cowboys finished the negotiations Saturday afternoon by offering the wide receiver $2 million for the season, including $500,000 in a signing bonus.

Price sat in Jerry Jones' owners box during the Cowboys preseason finale against the Texans. Price had just visited with the Patriots and Dolphins, but the Cowboys continued pitching their team and coach Bill Parcells.

Price won't automatically be thrust into the starting line. He will compete at the split end position and possibly share time with starters Terry Glenn and Keyshawn Johnson. Patrick Crayton had beaten out Quincy Morgan for the No. 3 role, but that goes to Price unless he gets the opportunity to start.

Morgan might among the team's final cuts.

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:21 PM   #665
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

ESPN. 1 year, $2mil. Pretty good deal. I'm kinda surprised he took one year, since this morning they were still saying he wanted like 4, 5 years. Guess no one else would give him that either.

Oh, yay. I think this is a really good move. Have to feel better about Price than Quincy, who I think is gone. And apparently Bledsoe was very hard core about recruiting him, very good sign, I think.

Cuts are in...
RELEASED:
RB Erik Bickerstaff
DT Leo Carson
SS Rich Coady
WR Tom Crowder
TE Tony Curtis
SS Woody Dantzler
RB Keylon Kincade
PK Nick Novak
LB Keith O'Neil
DS Jeff Robinson
TE Sean Ryan
OL Matt Tarullo
OT Kurt Vollers
OL Tyson Walter
FS Lynn Scott

IR:
SS Justin Beriault
LB Kalen Thornton

Traded For:
OLB Scott Fujita (from Kansas City for conditional sixth-round pick)

Whoa. Didn't see Vollers & Robinson coming. Morgan still here for now...
Old 09-03-2005, 07:07 PM   #666
chumdawg
Guru

You can't be serious? Vollers and Walter? This is insane. This is really, really strange. And why cut both Ryan and Robinson? I'm also a little bit surprised about Carson. Guess that means both Ratliff and Pepper Johnson made it.

Wait a minute. They also released BOTH Coady and Scott, with Beriault out for the year?

These don't seem right to me.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:22 PM   #667
chumdawg
Guru

So they are at 53 right now, without Price. Probably Copper gets cut to make room for Price? Or Morgan gets traded? I'm a little surprised Copper made it over Crowder.

Frazier isn't listed on the cuts, but he's not listed on the 53-man roster. He IS listed on the depth chart as a punt returner, though.

I'm also a little suprised Condo made the cut over O'Neill.

Are they really going to play with only two safeties??
Old 09-03-2005, 07:51 PM   #668
alby
Guru

"Price won't automatically be thrust into the starting line. He will compete at the split end position and possibly share time with starters Terry Glenn and Keyshawn Johnson. Patrick Crayton had beaten out Quincy Morgan for the No. 3 role, but that goes to Price unless he gets the opportunity to start."

???

so is PP the #3 reciever?

Contact Me
Old 09-03-2005, 07:56 PM   #669
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Vollers was the big surprise. Bill see's something in Torrin Tucker so he went with talent over consistency. Ben Knoll over Walter was also a surprise but I like what he’s doing. It’s the 3 year rule…we know what Walter can do…he’s a guy. Let’s see what the young kid can be.

Chum, Frazier was cut about a week ago.

I wouldn't read too much into the fact that we don't have a backup safety on the roster. I'd imagine that Jerry and Bill are scouring the waiver wire as we speak. Also, if Williams or Davis gets hurt, Lynn Scott will probably still be out there. I doubt his agent's phone is ringing off the hook.

Cutting Coleman instead of Obogu surprised me...i was expecting him to be the odd man on in the 3-4.

I hope we keep Morgan, I’m not as down on him as most people seem to be.

How about this draft class...all of our draft picks and two undrafted FA's make the team. I wanted to draft Fred Gibson in the 4th and the Stealers cut him today...shows how much I know. Wonder if we have this same draft under Lacy?

We had to get it right this summer and I think we did. Bill is due for a retrenching year and I’m confident that he has the ammunition.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:42 PM   #670
chumdawg
Guru

Thanks for the catch on Frazier. That explains it.

Kenyon Coleman? He isn't cut. He's a starter!
Old 09-03-2005, 08:48 PM   #671
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Kenyon Coleman? He isn't cut. He's a starter!
yea, i meant leo carson...

Old 09-03-2005, 08:56 PM   #672
chumdawg
Guru

Condo is another undrafted free agent who made it. He took Jeff Robinson's job, evidently.

This draft, I suppose, is similar to the '75 team, when twelve rookies known as the "Dirty Dozen" and including the likes of Randy White made the team and propelled them to the Super Bowl.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:00 PM   #673
alby
Guru

good parallel

Contact Me
Old 09-03-2005, 09:01 PM   #674
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The Cowboys signing of Peerless Price is a very solid move.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:04 PM   #675
alby
Guru

Will the Cowboys ever go 5 wideouts now with Bledsoe's slingshot of an arm? If so, that is a very scary reciever lineup.

Contact Me
Old 09-04-2005, 01:28 AM   #676
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
The Cowboys signing of Peerless Price is a very solid move.
your right, glenn is injury prone and he might even take keyshawns place.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:42 AM   #677
sike
The Preacha

Price and Vick were not the combo that all thought they'd be....now Price and Bledsoe, that was another matter all together....I hope they can rekindle the old flame quickly.....it COULD be a steal

Old 09-04-2005, 09:09 AM   #678
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It might be hard for any receiver to put up big numbers in Atlanta...considering Vick still doesn't throw that well for an NFL QB. So perhaps the move will help PP.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #679
TomThaMavsFan

TomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enoughTomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enough

solid signing by the cowboys in getting price. Price is going to rack up some nice numbers with the Cowboys. Nice pick up of getting Fujita from the Cheifs , he lead the Cheifs in tackles for the past two years and will be solid for the defense.
TomThaMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:05 PM   #680
ames7
Diamond Member

Our new backup safety. Um, okay.

And ciao, Quincy Morgan. It's been real.