Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-09-2005, 12:51 PM   #281
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Cowboys offseason Thread

#1Mavs, how you figure we have a "huge hole" at WR? Keyshawn Johnson is a player man, man. And this Terry Glenn...I'm telling you, the season went south last year the moment he left with injury. I love him as a playmaker. Look for him to have a nice season in '05.

And of course, let's not forget Copper and Crayton. Two young up-and-comers. (Morgan, I don't like.)

Then again, I think about WR's about the same way I think about two-guards: dime a dozen...look out that window.

I do, however, expect the 'Boys to make a little noise on offense in the draft. Parcells plans an offense with multiple weapons, to best take advantage of Bledsoe's considerable talents. I expect our offense to be in the top five of many statistical categories.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2005, 01:05 PM   #282
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future
Default RE:Cowboys offseason Thread

Quote:
I think you meant Charles Rogers. He can still 'pan out' he hasn't been really given a chance yet with all the injuries. He's only played like 5 or 6 games in his career.
...of the Lions, yes. He still has time to do something in the league but at this point the Lions should have taken Andre Johnson or Byron Leftwich instead.

Overall I just don't know about the receivers - I think for the Cowboys defense makes the most sense at 11 PERIOD. Furthermore, unless Mike Williams is there at 20, a WR shouldn't even be on the radar screen.

Best situation: we have a chance to get both 11)Merriman & 20) DJ or visa-versa. After that a combo of 11)Merriman/DJ & 20) Marcus Spears/ Dan Cody - is, IMO, still preferrable to most other situations where we take home a WR not named Braylen or Mike.

...I'm starting to get extremely anxious about this damn draft.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:07 PM   #283
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
I expect our offense to be in the top five of many statistical categories.
...by adding to WR and OL?... via trade or draft or free agency?
Old 04-09-2005, 01:52 PM   #284
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

OL and RB. I think there are already plenty of tools at the skill positions, though another speed receiver would surely be welcome. If Campbell can play a whole year, the TE position is probably as good as you can hope for. If Jules Jones improves at all on his rookie campaign, then an entire year of his production will put us in good stead. Is Richie Anderson going to play this year? He's a very effective third-down back, and always a threat to convert on third-and-long.

Got to keep Bledsoe nice and cozy in the pocket, though. I am eager to see how the high draft picks from last year will fit in this year on the OL. And I'm also wondering if we might luck into a nice tackle with the 20 pick (or early in the second round, if we trade down).
Old 04-09-2005, 02:10 PM   #285
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Is Richie Anderson going to play this year? He's a very effective third-down back, and always a threat to convert on third-and-long.
Me don't know... but if we can pick up the FB from Navy we should. That guy is a Mike Alstott clone. I thinks he's a late-round steal.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:28 PM   #286
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

DMN Gosselin Mock

1. San Francisco Aaron Rodgers QB California
2. Miami Ronnie Brown HB Auburn
3. Cleveland Braylon Edwards WR Michigan
4. Chicago Carnell Williams HB Auburn
5. Tampa Bay Alex Smith QB Utah
6. Tennessee Antrel Rolle CB Miami
7. Minnesota Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma
8. Arizona Cedric Benson HB Texas
9. Washington Adam Jones CB West Virginia
10. Detroit Derrick Johnson OLB Texas
11. Dallas Demarcus Ware OLB Troy
12. San Diego Erasmus James DE Wisconsin
13. Houston Shawne Merriman DE Maryland
14. Carolina Carlos Rogers CB Auburn
15. Kansas City Troy Williamson WR South Carolina
16. New Orleans Shaun Cody DT Southern California
17. Cincinnati Thomas Davis S Georgia
18. Minnesota Mike Williams WR Southern California
19. St. Louis Jammal Brown OT Oklahoma
20. Dallas Marcus Spears DE LSU
21. Jacksonville David Pollack DE Georgia
22. Baltimore Travis Johnson DT Florida State
23. Seattle Luis Castillo DT Northwestern
24. Green Bay Matt Roth DE Iowa
25. Denver Fabian Washington CB Nebraska
26. N.Y. Jets Alex Barron OT Florida State
27. Atlanta Roddy White WR Alabama-Birmingham
28. San Diego Khalif Barnes OT Washington
29. Indianapolis Brodney Pool S Oklahoma
30. Pittsburgh Marcus Johnson OT Mississippi
31. Philadelphia Heath Miller TE Virginia
32. New England Justin Miller CB Clemson

Very interesting, and very different from most other mocks
notable:
Mike Williams #4 WR, and the fact he has Minnesota taking BOTH Clayton and Williams.

Old 04-10-2005, 09:37 PM   #287
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Ware ahead of Merriman???

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 10:16 PM   #288
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

A lot of questionable picks by Gos. Clayton at 7? And Mike w at 18? KC drafting a WR?

And he has the Cowboys reaching for players in both of their top picks.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 11:31 PM   #289
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

take Williams....do it.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 04-10-2005, 11:32 PM   #290
sike
The Preacha

Clayton does not go so early.

Old 04-10-2005, 11:34 PM   #291
sike
The Preacha

Clayton ahead of Williams and Willaimson??? no way...

Old 04-10-2005, 11:42 PM   #292
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
take Williams....do it.
Sike you better not use your alien powers to sneak into the cowboys war room.

...or maybe you should.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:47 PM   #293
capitalcity
Diamond Member

so where does Clayton go?

Maybe to the Vikings at 18?... if they go best player avail at 7.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:48 PM   #294
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

If this were anybody but Goose I'd call him an idiot. It'll be interesting to see what changes by the final version.

I found it interesting that last week with Norm, he said that he doesn't look at any mocks before the draftā€¦He doesnā€™t want the opinions of others to seep into his thinking...now I truly believe him...

...btw, he didn't like Mike Williams last year either...had him slotted around the same place.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:04 AM   #295
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: capitalcity
Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
take Williams....do it.
Sike you better not use your alien powers to sneak into the cowboys war room.

...or maybe you should.
now I'm conflicted, cap [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Yeah, Goose calls Williams an H back in process...I simply disagree.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:09 AM   #296
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Call him a fullback for all I care, he catches touchdowns...sometimes with one hand...

Like everyone else, I'm just wary of Clayton's size. The last short reciever that I recall being drafted in the top 10 was Peter Warwick and now he's the 3rd best receiver on his team.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:16 AM   #297
sike
The Preacha

Williams = the next Irvin?

Old 04-11-2005, 12:24 AM   #298
dirno2000
Diamond Member

High praise, but there are some similaritiesā€¦although, Mike didn't catch a lot of touchdowns.

Edit: they're both named Mike...Mike Irvin. He's only about 6'2 so he isn't the "just throw it up there" target that Williams is.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:27 AM   #299
sike
The Preacha

if Parcells and the boys think Mike Williams has close to Irvin like potential....they cannot pass him up...then again, I don't think he'll be sitting there at 11.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:31 AM   #300
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Remember that Tenn and Norm Chow have the 6th pick in the draft...what would it say if his former OC, who needs a reciever, passed him up...bad omen?
Old 04-11-2005, 12:35 AM   #301
sike
The Preacha

or just mean they'll be kicking themselves once he goes for 150yds and 2 TDs.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I don't know about dirno, but I am offically on the get Mike Williams to Dallas bus.....if they are not as high on Merriman or Johnson as some think, go with the guy with most star and play making potential.....

how far away is the draft??? Two weeks or one?

Old 04-11-2005, 12:42 AM   #302
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

You guys don't think the year off will hurt Williams?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:45 AM   #303
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Not after a training camp...he's been playing football all his life so I'm sure it'll all come back fairly quickly. I'd draft Mo Clarett in the 5th or 6th and he hasn't played in two years.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:47 AM   #304
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
... we'll it couldn't have helped him any. I hardly remember the guy.

Dirno, he catches all his touchdowns one-handed? If so I'd definitely take him... cause that's hard.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:48 AM   #305
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
if the games started next week...totally....but he'll have time to do what needs be done..."to get his game back", if you will.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:50 AM   #306
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
cap said: I hardly remember the guy.
I just hope 10 other teams say the same thing....just imagine where this stud would be in the draft if he'd have stayed....no where near 11 that's for certain.

Old 04-11-2005, 04:13 AM   #307
chumdawg
Guru

I tried to tell you about that Spears kid in Dallas. Don't rule it out.

Mike Williams will NOT be a Cowboy. There is simply no reason to draft him. They already have his veteran counterpart, in Keyshawn Johnson. If the Cowboys draft a receiver in the first round, it will be Clayton. However, I find it FAR more likely that they trade down from 20 and take a defensive player early in the second and the best SS/WR/LB/OT later in the round.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:04 AM   #308
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

I still like the Howard receiver.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:14 AM   #309
sike
The Preacha

dawg...both of the WR on this team that have proven trustworthy have also proven injury prone....Clayton is a tiny man....the Boys need more big play potential...and a one legged Glenn does not give you too much of that...once again I say: IF Williams is there, take him.

Old 04-11-2005, 11:17 AM   #310
endtroducing
Golden Member

(if Williams is there in the first, take him, of course.)

My plan of action for the draft:
1st round (11): Derrick Johnson, LB, Texas or Shawne Merriman LB/DE, Maryland
Both players here are extremely hard workers who give maximum effort on every play. Johnson has been a top collegiate playmaker for years, while Merriman came on strong in his last season and in off-season workouts. While Johnson is the superior playmaker, he sometimes overexerts, leaving him out of position and prone to missing assignments. Still, depending on which player is available, Dallas can't go wrong.

1st round (20): Roddy White, WR, UAB
Sort of badly kept secret, at least here in the South, since a lot of people haven't seen him play.
Having seen him in person three times, I have come away very impressed. His speed is his biggest asset, as he is able to outrun defensive backs almost at will, or at least on the college level. In a game against Southern Miss, when White was matched against one of the best corners in the conference, he frustrated him the entire game, burning him one time with his speed and quickness by headfaking him basically out of his shoes.
White has great hands and speed, but his one big weakness is running in traffic. If he gets the ball in the open field, he's gone, but if he is surrounded, don't expect too much YAC production. His YAC in college was outstanding, but that was mostly due to his quarterback's cannon for an arm. It is coachable, though.

2nd round: Bill Swancutt, DE, Oregon State
A very physical player, had a really big year in 2004, particularly against LSU when he took over in the second half. Works very hard, but is relatively prone to fatigue, due to overexertion on the field. Not an exceptional tackler but is adequete, can be coached. If he can improve his conditioning, he could be a good player for many years.

3rd round: Marlin Jackson, DB, Michigan or Josh Bullocks, DB, Nebraska
Jackson: Perhaps the best tackler to come out of college in some time, can play pretty much anywhere in the secondary (a true tweener). Could easily be a prized 3rd corner or reserve in the secondary, but has to improve his speed and quickness. A good value choice for immediate help.
Bullocks: A vicious ballhawk. Tends to play on instinct a lot of the time, which can either help or hurt. Needs to develop a better understanding of the game, as his problems are mostly mental...has all the physical tools to excel in the NFL at either safety spot, and under the teachings of Roy Williams could really be a special player down the road. Is a project, unlike Jackson, but it could pay off.

4th round: DeCori Birmingham, WR/RB/KR/ST, Arkansas
Very capable receiver and kick returner, would be a decent backup to spell Jones. Similar to Brian Westbrook, in that he can be used all over the field. Will be a threat offensively wherever he plays, can keep defenses off balance.

5th round: Michael Boley, LB, Southern Miss

6th round: Junior Rosegreen, DB, Auburn
Would be versatile in an NFL secondary. Ball hawk. Good hands. Good tackler. Undersized, but makes up for it with effort. Doesn't have outstanding speed, but is willing to play corner if called on. Will make the big hit. Can sometimes be overly physical, will likely spend most of his time as a nickelback or a reserve. Special teams stand out. Sharp dresser.

7th round: it doesn't really matter
Old 04-11-2005, 11:38 AM   #311
sike
The Preacha

I'm still in hopes that we trade the 2nd for Howard from NO...

Old 04-11-2005, 11:39 AM   #312
sike
The Preacha

norm is talking Cowboys talking Ware right now....

Old 04-11-2005, 11:45 AM   #313
sike
The Preacha

Norm is touting Ware as a good pick at 11.

Old 04-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #314
endtroducing
Golden Member

Demarcus is a good guy and a good player...but not at 11. 20, yeah, maybe. not 11. he takes plays off, occasionally gets lazy...
Old 04-11-2005, 01:00 PM   #315
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

DeCori Birmingham?

I'm an Arkansas fan, obviously, and I wouldn't want him. He has no ability as a running back. He sucks as a running back...horrible. NOW, as a WR he was pretty good. Made some huge catches in his career.

Special teams? I don't know. He's Arkansas' all-time leading punt return man, but he didn't do ANYTHING last year. His longest return couldn't have been greater than 20 yards, unless it was against Louisiana-Monroe or something.

If you were going to take Decori, I'd think you would take him pretty late. I could be wrong, but he, IMO, is not a contributor.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:15 PM   #316
chumdawg
Guru

Endtro, how do you propose the Cowboys go about obtaining a third-round pick?

I bet they trade down from 11 if someone offers something nice...
Old 04-11-2005, 01:31 PM   #317
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road

Just my opinion but I don't like Merriman, Ware, Williamson, or Roddy White. I am very skeptical of high rising players after the season is over due to their freak athletic abilities.

I see Williamson as a poor mans Koren Robinson. Ware and Merriman have bust written all over them for me, and it always seems that a small school wide reciever starts rising up into the middle or late first round and never pans out like White.

If Mike Williams is there take him hands down. Him sitting out a year is the same as someone coming off an injury without the concern of loss of speed or quickness. He will be special.

I would prefer to get DJ to Merriman. He is a playmaker. He can change games in one play. He did it consistantly through college. He may run around blockers now, but he can be taught. He has the size to take them on so it's not like that should be too much of a concern.

With Williams and Johnson I see a mini Lawrence Taylor in space making big plays and Keyshawn Johnson when he was younger with Bill.

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:58 PM   #318
sike
The Preacha

I love that post stepo, I totally agree. Though I would rank Williams big play potential as even higher than Keyshawn's in his prime.

Old 04-12-2005, 10:31 AM   #319
sike
The Preacha

anyone heard recent news as to who the Boys like with 20?

Old 04-12-2005, 09:17 PM   #320
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

patience my sike. two weeks and you will have all your answers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]