Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 10-14-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 'The Story of Obama' already being included in middle school english textbooks?

If found the following rather interesting. Evidently, newly issued 2008 middle school textbooks published by McDougal Littell are coming with 15 page long 'story of Obama' sections standard issue. This is a letter that a mother wrote to a Wisconsin political blog at the following address: http://realdebatewisconsin.blogspot....book-with.html. I particularly enjoy the title of the Obama chapter: "From Out of Many, ONE"...

Quote:

My 8th grade son is in an advanced English class at a public middle school here in Racine, Wisconsin. I just found out that my son's new (copyright 2008) Wisconsin - McDougal Littell Literature book has 15 pages covering Barack Obama.

I was shocked - No John McCain, no Hillary Clinton, no George Bush - Just Barack Obama. I'm wondering how it is that Obama's story gets put into an 8th grade literature book? It would be one thing, if it was just the tidbit about his boyhood days, but 15 pages, and they talk about his "Life of Service". Honestly, what has Obama really done to be included in this book? Not only that, but on page 847 there is a photo of Obama at the 2004 Democratic Convention with at least 8 Obama signs in the background! Front & center is an www.obama2004.com sign.

Now I understand that many teachers are liberals, but does the school have the right to shove Obama down our kid's throats? All the kids grouped together and read the story. After that, they discussed it... I guess it appears that Obama is planning ahead. If he doesn't get his coveted Presidency, Obama is going to make sure, that the younger generations know all about him, and his "life of service".

If you would like to see the 15 page story on Obama, it appears that you can order this book online. There is a note in the book that says, For more on Barack Obama, visit the Literature Center at www.ClassZone.com The book is: Wisconsin - 8th grade - McDougal Littell Literature - copyright 2008. The Obama story starts on page 830. I hope you will take the time to look at this book. I'm really angry about this - In fact, I would love to rip the pages right out of this book.

By the way, you might find this interesting: I did a little checking on McDougal Littell, and it appears that MCDOUGAL, ALFRED L CHICAGO , IL 60611 - N/A/RETIRED has been making contributions to Barack Obama's campaign!

I found that information on this website.
http://www.newsmeat.com/fec/bystate_...L&first=ALFRED
Now I'm not an expert at these things (just a PTA mom), but It looks to me like Alfred McDougal is connected to McDougal Littell the same company that publishes the 8th grade textbook that has 15 pages on Obama. Like I said, I'm not an expert, but I'm sure you have someone who can delve into the dirty little details.

I guess my question is: Is it ethical for an Obama supporter to publish an educational book which has a 15 page Barrack Obama story in it? If the tax payers are paying for these books, why is it okay for McDougal Littell to promote Obama? This really bothers me. I would have no problem with it, if Obama had actually done something important. Why is Obama being put up on a pedestal, before he actually wins the pedestal? All I can say, is we can thank the liberal media, and now the liberal book publishers. Thanks to them, I'm sure there are probably thousands of these books all across the United States.

Education
Old 10-14-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Obama does not exist. We should teach both sides of the issue in the classroom. Parents should be allowed to teach their children about Presidents of the United States at their own pace and discretion.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

note to self: Don't let my kids go to school in Wisconsin.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

I'm seriously considering home schooling or private school.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

What is the problem with putting black man in the history books? Or is it the fact he is a democrat? Which one is it to make you not want to put your kids at that school?
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Neither Silk.

The problem is that the classroom is not the place to have a political agenda. I always hated when teachers/instructors/professors used classroom time to shove their own political views down my throat. Its an obstruction to the real reason why the classroom exist.

Obviously, the next administration will eventually make its way into political science and history books, but a 15 page insert singling out a presidential candidate over another, - not appropriate. Its a literature class for pete's sake.

I support informing children about the election - but in the appropriate classroom and in a manner that presents information about all sides....IMHO.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 10-14-2008 at 11:31 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they should put any African Americans in literature books. We all know that blacks can't read.

(See post #11 & in this thread for clarification on the indented meaning of this post)

Last edited by Murphy3; 10-14-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:17 AM   #8
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

I am wondering, because Obama MADE history. What is so wrong about putting the first African American Major Party presidential candidate in the history books. We put Columbus in the history books, and we ALL know he never discovered America. Obama has made alot of history, so put him in the history books.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #9
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
I really don't think we should have much about African Americans in literature books. We all know that blacks can't read.
There it is. This is a post that YOU do need to get banned. Seriously!!!! Which moderator is going to step up??
Old 10-14-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
Silk Smoov
Banned

How dare you make that RACIST statement then edit it and call it sarcasm..
Old 10-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Dude, I'm not being remotely serious. Not at all. If you honestly think I'm being serious, I'll gladly edit it. I often joke about something to expose the ignorant side that would actually say something like that. If a moderator wanted to ban me for saying something that none of them would remotely believe that it was anything more than a joke poking fun at the ignorant that would actually believe such... And I was also poking fun at what I thought some extremists might have to say to those that are against Obama being in the literature books.

Do you honestly believe that my post above was remotely serious? If you do, let me know. Obviously you're pissed off about it, so I suppose you do. Dear Lord, why in the world would you think it's remotely what I believe. I have used sarcasm in probably 5000-10000 posts on this site. So, if you believe that it was anything other than a joke that's poking fun at the ignorance of racists, then that is fine. I supose I could see how someone that hasn't been on this site for long could be confused with that. However, you've been here for 2 years. I just don't understand how you could be confused by such.

Was the joke in poor taste? I'm sure it was to some.. to you, obviously. I do apologize. However, I think you're being just a bit 'sensitive'. I also think that you're looking for an excuse to get pissed off. But, yeah, I can see why you would be offended if you're looking to be offended.

Last edited by Murphy3; 10-14-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

edited... put everything in the previous post.

Last edited by Murphy3; 10-14-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #13
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why do you believe that it's not sarcasm?
He thinks NBA fans don't like black people.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #14
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
What is the problem with putting black man in the history books? Or is it the fact he is a democrat? Which one is it to make you not want to put your kids at that school?
Hey, stop race baiting. You aren't God, so you don't get to write life's multiple choice questions.

The problem is Indoctrination.

Some people say it takes a village to raise my future kids. I say, it takes two dedicated parents who aren't undercut by a bunch of government tools. I hope to send my kids to school to learn math, science, history, English... not propaganda.

Exit question: Would you want me or some of the other posters here you dislike to be teaching your kids anything we wanted? Didn't think so.

Quote:
First Graders Taken To San Francisco City Hall For Gay Wedding

October 11, 2008

SAN FRANCISCO, October 11 – In the same week that the No on 8 campaign launched an ad that labeled as “lies” claims that same-sex marriage would be taught in schools to young children, a first grade class took a school-sponsored trip to a gay wedding. Eighteen first graders traveled to San Francisco City Hall Friday for the wedding of their teacher and her lesbian partner, The San Francisco Chronicle reported. The school sponsored the trip for the students, ages 5 and 6, taking them away from their studies for the same-sex wedding. According to the Yes on 8 campaign, the public school field trip demonstrates that the California Supreme Court's decision to legalize same-sex marriage has real consequences.

"Taking children out of school for a same-sex wedding is not customary education. This is promoting same-sex marriage and indoctrinating young kids," said Yes on 8—ProtectMarriage.com Campaign Co-Manager Frank Schubert. "I doubt the school has ever taken kids on a field trip to a traditional wedding," Schubert said.

When asked by the Yes on 8 campaign, The San Francisco Chronicle reporter said she did not know if the school had ever sponsored a field trip for students to a traditional wedding. Telling the Chronicle that the field trip was "a teachable moment," the school's principal believes it is perfectly appropriate for first graders to attend a same-sex wedding. Officials in other school districts disagree.

"Prop. 8 protects our children from being taught in public schools that 'same-sex marriage' is the same as traditional marriage," said Santa Ana Unified School District board member Rosemarie "Rosie" Avila. "We should not accept a court decision that results in public schools teaching our kids that gay marriage is okay. That is an issue for parents to discuss with their children according to their own values and beliefs. It shouldn't be forced on us against our will," Avila added.

The lesbian teacher's wedding was officiated by San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom. Newsom is featured in a Yes on 8 television ad, released last week, in which he arrogantly declares of same-sex marriage: "The door's wide open now. It's gonna happen, whether you like it or not."

The Yes on 8 campaign's ads explain that if the voters do not overturn the California Supreme Court's same-sex marriage ruling, teachers will be required to teach young children that there is no difference between gay marriage and traditional marriage. “It's totally unreasonable that a first grade field trip would be to a same-sex wedding," said Chip White, Press Secretary for Yes on 8. "This is overt indoctrination of children who are too young to understand it.” The field trip underscores the Yes on 8 campaign’s message that unless Prop. 8 passes, children will be taught about same-sex marriage in public schools. “Not only can it happen, it has already happened,” White said.

Link

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 10-14-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #15
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Dude, I'm not being remotely serious. Not at all. If you honestly think I'm being serious, I'll gladly edit it. I often joke about something to expose the ignorant side that would actually say something like that. If a moderator wanted to ban me for saying something that none of them would remotely believe that it was anything more than a joke poking fun at the ignorant that would actually believe such... then I'll leave the site on my own.
Shut your silly dumb as* up with that "BULLSHIT" That was the most racist post I have read here on this message board, and to think you call it a joke. And to think you say you say things like that all the time as a joke. So, you admit that you make racist jokes all the time????

This is "BULLSHIT", this is unacceptable. Your post should not only have offended blacks but people of all shades of color...Add you now to the list, but lets go ahead and put you on top of the list. You actually posted exactly how you felt, and did not disguise it at all. You cant claim none of us took it the wrong way, because your words spoke loud and clear..
Old 10-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #16
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW
Hey, stop race baiting. You aren't God, so you don't get to write life's multiple choice questions.
It has nothing to do with race baiting. I pointed out the fact that Obama has MADE history so he deserves to be in history books. Do you disagree with that? Or is that history he made not worthy enough to go into history books?

Now, I do look at your arguement about politics not in school and say I agree, but to find a way to say that putting Obama in a history book is mixing politics and school, then you must take out all political leaders out of the history books. Are you saying that? Nope, all you guys are doing is finding a way to discredit Obama, and find a way to say that it was political motivated.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #17
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
He thinks NBA fans don't like black people.
Come to the rescue of your fellow racist. Instead of you attacking her racist post, you attack me..Now, why do I and several others call you racist? Now, let a black poster someone a racist name and see how long they last. You can call it double standards or just plain racist. Still waiting.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Shut your silly dumb as* up with that "BULLSHIT" That was the most racist post I have read here on this message board, and to think you call it a joke. And to think you say you say things like that all the time as a joke. So, you admit that you make racist jokes all the time????

This is "BULLSHIT", this is unacceptable. Your post should not only have offended blacks but people of all shades of color...Add you now to the list, but lets go ahead and put you on top of the list. You actually posted exactly how you felt, and did not disguise it at all. You cant claim none of us took it the wrong way, because your words spoke loud and clear..
All I have to say is 'Wow.'

You're an interesting and angry man. I hope you don't carry that hatred in anger around with you daily. If you do, you should probably visit your doctor at least annually to make sure that you don't have any issues that could impact your heart such as high blood pressure. That amount of anger is not good for you.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #19
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Quote:
It has nothing to do with race baiting. I pointed out the fact that Obama has MADE history so he deserves to be in history books. Do you disagree with that? Or is that history he made not worthy enough to go into history books?

Now, I do look at your arguement about politics not in school and say I agree, but to find a way to say that putting Obama in a history book is mixing politics and school, then you must take out all political leaders out of the history books. Are you saying that? Nope, all you guys are doing is finding a way to discredit Obama, and find a way to say that it was political motivated.
Putting a description on how ground-breaking Obama's nomination to a major party ticket is very different from a 15-page biography on the life of Obama.

All you guys are doing is finding a way to shove stuff down other people's throats under the guise of "education" and "progress."

Is this ghost ball??
Old 10-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #20
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Quote:
It has nothing to do with race baiting. I pointed out the fact that Obama has MADE history so he deserves to be in history books. Do you disagree with that?
You pointed out no such thing. You asked if my problem with it was because he was a democrat or because he's black. Stop race baiting.

Look, I know you're pissed because of some stuff that's been said. But that doesn't give you the right to assume everyone on here who disagrees with you is a racist.

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 10-14-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #21
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dude, I'm not being remotely serious. Not at all. If you honestly think I'm being serious, I'll gladly edit it. I often joke about something to expose the ignorant side that would actually say something like that. If a moderator wanted to ban me for saying something that none of them would remotely believe that it was anything more than a joke poking fun at the ignorant that would actually believe such... then I'll leave the site on my own.

Do you honestly believe that my post above was remotely serious? If you do, let me know. Obviously you're pissed off about it, so I suppose you do. Let me know if you actually believe that what I said is remotely what I truly believe and I'll gladly give you your wish. Dear Lord, why in the world would you think it's remotely what I believe. I have used sarcasm in probably 5000-10000 posts on this site. So, if you believe that it was anything other than a joke that's poking fun at the ignorance of racists, then that is fine. Let me know and I'll give you my wish. I supose I could see how someone that hasn't been on this site for long could be confused with that. However, you've been here for 2 years. I just don't understand how you could be confused by such.

Was the joke in poor taste? I'm sure it was to some.. to you, obviously. I do apologize. However, I think you're being just a bit 'sensitive'. I also think that you're looking for an excuse to get pissed off. But, yeah, I can see why you would be offended if you're looking to be offended.
I don't really like Murph, but I will come to his defense on this one. It was obviously a joke.
Jokes about race can be funny if used in the right context. In fact one of my proudest moments in the last few years was selling a joke many would consider racist to a black comic. The guy paid me $100 for the line, and didn't consider me a racist for it.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #22
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Putting a description on how ground-breaking Obama's nomination to a major party ticket is very different from a 15-page biography on the life of Obama.

All you guys are doing is finding a way to shove stuff down other people's throats under the guise of "education" and "progress."
So, what you are saying that he should be limited in the number of pages? Or you saying he does not belong in there? Which one, because I am confused. What do you mean put a description? Are you saying to put a tidbit about it? So, since it is ground breaking, do you not put his background in there as well? His background is very relevant to the story of ground breaking. What Obama HAS DONE is very much part of history, not just black history but American History. If he loses this race, he still belongs in there. My point is dont take away from this man, give him his just due for what he HAS done. It has nothing to do with what he MAY do in the future. I am only talking about what he HAS done.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

You don't like me either? Dear Lord, what is this world coming to? I find it difficult to believe that 2 people posting in the same thread at d-m.com don't like Murph...
Old 10-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #24
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
You pointed out no such thing. You asked if my problem with it was because he was a democrat or because he's black. Stop race baiting.

Look, I know you're pissed because of some stuff that's been said. But that doesn't give you the right to assume everyone on here who disagrees with you is a racist.
What does disagree have to do with making racist jokes? Was that statement racist? Are you avoiding it or what? Was that a racist statement?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
So, what you are saying that he should be limited in the number of pages? Or you saying he does not belong in there? Which one, because I am confused. What do you mean put a description? Are you saying to put a tidbit about it? So, since it is ground breaking, do you not put his background in there as well? His background is very relevant to the story of ground breaking. What Obama HAS DONE is very much part of history, not just black history but American History. If he loses this race, he still belongs in there. My point is dont take away from this man, give him his just due for what he HAS done. It has nothing to do with what he MAY do in the future. I am only talking about what he HAS done.
It's in a literature book... during an election year. I'm not sure why people wouldn't find it inappropriate.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #26
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You don't like me either? Dear Lord, what is this world coming to? I find it difficult to believe that 2 people posting in the same thread at d-m.com don't like Murph...
stop it, you're making me like you.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
What does disagree have to do with making racist jokes? Was that statement racist? Are you avoiding it or what? Was that a racist statement?
Context...intent...
I don't know, you tell me.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #28
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic
I don't really like Murph, but I will come to his defense on this one. It was obviously a joke.
Jokes about race can be funny if used in the right context. In fact one of my proudest moments in the last few years was selling a joke many would consider racist to a black comic. The guy paid me $100 for the line, and didn't consider me a racist for it.
I am confused here. First you say racist jokes can be funny if used in the right context, then you say one of your 'Proudest" moments was telling a racist joke about a black comic? I am confused, are you saying that racist joke was in the right context here? I dont get it, because you said you were coming to his defense on the racist joke here.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #29
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Quote:
Do you have a sick fetish with multiple choice tests or do you just like to argue from behind the shield of strawmen arguments? Which one is it? (Wow, that's actually really easy to do!)

I didn't know book writers had to choose between tidbits and 15 pages. If only there was some quantity in between...!

I don't know diddly-squat about JFK's childhood or early political career. All I know is he was president, Catholic, and saved us from nukes in Cuba.

Is this ghost ball??
Old 10-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #30
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Do you have a sick fetish with multiple choice tests or do you just like to argue from behind the shield of strawmen arguments? Which one is it? (Wow, that's actually really easy to do!)

I didn't know book writers had to choose between tidbits and 15 pages. If only there was some quantity in between...!

I don't know diddly-squat about JFK's childhood or early political career. All I know is he was president, Catholic, and saved us from nukes in Cuba.
I know it was easy to do the same . I posted that way, because I am trying to understand. I saw it in those two ways when I read it, so I wanted to see if one of those were correct. Of course, either answer was going to prove my point

Since you dont know how the readers had to choose, but you agree Obama should be included, then why dont we assume they made the right choice? Either you are too young or quit school, because I learned the most about JFK in my history books.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #31
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Come to the rescue of your fellow racist. Instead of you attacking her racist post, you attack me..Now, why do I and several others call you racist? Now, let a black poster someone a racist name and see how long they last. You can call it double standards or just plain racist. Still waiting.
I've been trying to concoct a response to this, but you're going to believe what you like, and that's just the way it's going to be. So enjoy your hate and your rage. I'm not aware of any of my posts that have racist content. I'd really appreciate it, please, if you'd stop calling me a racist. I'm trying to ask you nicely.

Everyone of your tirades seems to come as a result of someone else's sarcasm. You should really consider growing a thicker skin because sarcasm is pretty much the way it's done around here. I am aware of what the community standards say about sarcasm, but I don't think sarcasm is going out of style any time soon, and I don't think it was a repeated attempt at posting malicious sarcasm towards a specific forum member. I'll defer to DJ on that one.

Because you seemed pretty unaware, I'll go ahead and also say that Murphs posts have a pretty high sarcasm/sincerity ratio. Now next time you'll know.

I would however like to know who else has called me a racist. Go ahead and PM me those names because that would be interesting reading.

And BOTH OF YOU stop with the cursing. The political forum is more of a forgiving environment for cursing historically, it being a place of more adult concerns (although not adult-like conversations) but again I'm asking you nicely, please tone it down. U2's kids read this site for heavens sake.

(And now you'll say "go ahead and defend your racist friend....")

Tiresome.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #32
rmacomic
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am confused here. First you say racist jokes can be funny if used in the right context, then you say one of your 'Proudest" moments was telling a racist joke about a black comic? I am confused, are you saying that racist joke was in the right context here? I dont get it, because you said you were coming to his defense on the racist joke here.
No I was proud of the fact I could write a joke for someone else. I came up with the line, and coming from me it would appear to an audience as racist. To the guy I sold it to, (who happened to be my mentor, the guy who got me into the biz) It was funny enough to buy and use in his own act. It is a joke about race and uses the N-word, but niether he nor I thought I was a racist for coming up with it.

It was the context of the situation that very much defused any thought of racist intent. After reading the posts in this thread I didn't come away from Murph's line thinking he was racist, just using sarcasm.

Was it in poor taste, maybe, but unless we start banning people for bad taste, I see no need to call for the Mods to ban Murph. And if they did, we would all be banned eventually from this site.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:08 PM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Do you honestly want to know what my 'joke' was about? Can I tell you? If I do, will it shut you up?

My joke was equal opportunity.

1. It pokes fun at you. Yes, you. No, not just because you're black, but because of your mentality. Here's the deal. What do I think is going through YOUR HEAD any time someone posts something that goes against anyone that happens to be African American? I believe that YOU will come to their defense because it involves an African American regardless of whether or not someone should come to the defense. In this situation, someone doesn't think that something about Obama should be in a literature book because it is a freaking election year. Now, what would I expect you to think. I would expect YOU to think this:
--- that they don't think the insert should be in the book BECAUSE Obama is black and they are just racist.
So what do I believe is going on in YOUR head? I believe that YOU are saying "You don't think it should be in the book because you're a racist and you don't believe blacks can read." So, I post my sarcastic remark because I know what's going on in your head when Evil makes his original post.

I know what the intolerant think. We all know what the intolerant think. You are intolerant of anyone that has a view against anything African American especially concerning Obama. I find it both sad and humorous. I knew what you were thinking when Evil made his post. I know what you'd say. I knew that you'd make it into a race issue when it wasn't. That's just how some are.. both white and black.. both Republican and Democrat. Hell, it's a big problem in this country. So many people rush to judgement without caring what the facts are. You rushed to judgement in this thread concerning the literature book. Why, because that's what you do. Yeah, I suppose I rushed in to poke fun at that, ...why? because I find it humorous that I know what you're thinking before you think write it.

Was it inappropriate? Hell, I don't know. But you're as easy to read as freaking Thomas The Train book. When you think in the manner that I've discussed, you're down at a freaking 2nd-3rd grade level. People like you and that fool over in Dallas (someone help me with the name..the one that was offended by the term 'black hole')..but you make me absolutely sick. Why, because you're black? No, not at all. Because you always think that everything is against you. I hate it when a white person does it.. I hate when a black person does it. It's disgusting. Everything isn't always because of the color of your skin or because of what's hanging or not hanging between someones legs..

And yeah, I also posted it because I "thought" it could also poke fun at the those that are actually intolerant fools that don't like blacks just because they are black.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:09 PM   #34
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
I've been trying to concoct a response to this, but you're going to believe what you like, and that's just the way it's going to be. So enjoy your hate and your rage. I'm not aware of any of my posts that have racist content. I'd really appreciate it, please, if you'd stop calling me a racist. I'm trying to ask you nicely.

Everyone of your tirades seems to come as a result of someone else's sarcasm. You should really consider growing a thicker skin because sarcasm is pretty much the way it's done around here. I am aware of what the community standards say about sarcasm, but I don't think sarcasm is going out of style any time soon, and I don't think it was a repeated attempt at posting malicious sarcasm towards a specific forum member. I'll defer to DJ on that one.

Because you seemed pretty unaware, I'll go ahead and also say that Murphs posts have a pretty high sarcasm/sincerity ratio. Now next time you'll know.

I would however like to know who else has called me a racist. Go ahead and PM me those names because that would be interesting reading.

And BOTH OF YOU stop with the cursing. The political forum is more of a forgiving environment for cursing historically, it being a place of more adult concerns (although not adult-like conversations) but again I'm asking you nicely, please tone it down. U2's kids read this site for heavens sake.

Tiresome.
Got it. Racist posts are sarcasm and I should accept it. I see now!!!! Do I have a high sarcasm ratio? I just want to know so if I start making racist jokes I will be alright

Of course, you come back and say we both need to stop with the cussing, since I was highly offended by the "RACIST" joke that I should take as sarcasm. Call me thin skinned, because I will NEVER take "RACIST" jokes for sarcasm. I dont care if the joke is about blacks or whites or any other color. I dont even think it is fine in your privacy, but when you do it in a "PUBLIC" forum how could I NOT be mad about it? Dont 4get to let me know about my ratio, so I can take it into account for the future.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #35
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Do you honestly want to know what my 'joke' was about? Can I tell you? If I do, will it shut you up?

My joke was equal opportunity.

1. It pokes fun at you. Yes, you. No, not just because you're black, but because of your mentality. Here's the deal. What do I think is going through YOUR HEAD any time someone posts something that goes against anyone that happens to be African American? I believe that YOU will come to their defense because it involves an African American regardless of whether or not someone should come to the defense. In this situation, someone doesn't think that something about Obama should be in a literature book because it is a freaking election year. Now, what would I expect you to think. I would expect YOU to think this:
--- that they don't think the insert should be in the book BECAUSE Obama is black and they are just racist.
So what do I believe is going on in YOUR head? I believe that YOU are saying "You don't think it should be in the book because you're a racist and you don't believe blacks can read." So, I post my sarcastic remark because I know what's going on in your head when Evil makes his original post.

I know what the intolerant think. We all know what the intolerant think. You are intolerant of anyone that has a view against anything African American especially concerning Obama. I find it both sad and humorous. I knew what you were thinking when Evil made his post. I know what you'd say. I knew that you'd make it into a race issue when it wasn't. That's just how some are.. both white and black.. both Republican and Democrat. Hell, it's a big problem in this country. So many people rush to judgement without caring what the facts are. You rushed to judgement in this thread concerning the literature book. Why, because that's what you do. Yeah, I suppose I rushed in to poke fun at that, ...why? because I find it humorous that I know what you're thinking before you think write it.

Was it inappropriate? Hell, I don't know. But you're as easy to read as freaking Thomas The Train book. When you think in the manner that I've discussed, you're down at a freaking 2nd-3rd grade level. People like you and that fool over in Dallas (someone help me with the name..the one that was offended by the term 'black hole')..but you make me absolutely sick. Why, because you're black? No, not at all. Because you always think that everything is against you. I hate it when a white person does it.. I hate when a black person does it. It's disgusting. Everything isn't always because of the color of your skin or because of what's hanging or not hanging between someones legs..

And yeah, I also posted it because I "thought" it could also poke fun at the those that are actually intolerant fools that don't like blacks just because they are black.
Your whole dumb as* arguement is incorrect. Dont tell me what I am thinking because you will be wrong MOST of the time. Think how dumb your statement is, when you think that "RACIST" jokes are NOT the problem. These racist posts are making alot of people sick here, and it is people of all backgrounds. Now, I will admit, I will more than likely be the first or only one to post back on it! Why? Because that is me!!!! I choose to confront racism head on. I dont back up or away from that problem. I take it on head up.

Now, turn your posts to Hillary or Lincoln and I will do the same thing. It has nothing to do with being black. It has something to do with your soul. The ole soul of America is showing its ugly head again. You know what, your same arguements were made back in the 40-70's about blacks needing to be more thick skinned. You and others think that blacks should accept racist and if that person calls it sarcasm, then it is alright. BUT, let blacks do the same thing, and you call them the lowest of the low.

To conclude, if you made those same type remarks about McCain pre 2000, I would have defended him as well. You miss the whole point. You cant call me a right winger or democrat supporter as well. I am neither. I dont support Obama because he is black as well. I WILL support and defend Obama when racism is involved. Why because I am an American and on top of that I am black and I feel that racism towards a black person. You can NOT understand that part. I dont expect you to understand, but I do EXPECT you to respect that.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #36
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:

Tiresome.
Let me touch on one more point. If I recall you were the first to point out that there is no way to figure out who is what color here right? What are the odds that every person I have called racist in the last three weeks here is white? I would guess there is a 90% chance that I would say they are all white. Why is that? Can you explain that, because that goes against your arguement on that. I would bet that 100% you are NOT black.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:30 PM   #37
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Let me touch on one more point. If I recall you were the first to point out that there is no way to figure out who is what color here right? What are the odds that every person I have called racist in the last three weeks here is white? I would guess there is a 90% chance that I would say they are all white. Why is that? Can you explain that, because that goes against your arguement on that. I would bet that 100% you are NOT black.
List several reasons why.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #38
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
List several reasons why.
You miss the point. Do you wanna take me up on that bet?
Old 10-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #39
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

You want me to tell you that you are proficient at divining the race of d-m.com members now? Well I suppose you'd have to tell us how you do it before any such concession could be made.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:53 PM   #40
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I have massive tired head.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote