Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 10-19-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute
Default colin powell is voting for barack obama

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...rses-obama/?hp

wow, if powell was running instead of mccain this election process would have been a LOT more interesting. What a smart, smart man. And 100x as likable as McCain.

honestly his 5-6 minute answer was just as powerful as anything obama has said, and without the insane charisma that Obama has naturally. Powell just oozes confidence and intelligence, and we could have done no wrong if both these men were running for president.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post

wow, if powell was running instead of mccain this election process would have been a LOT more interesting. What a smart, smart man. And 100x as likable as McCain.

honestly his 5-6 minute answer was just as powerful as anything obama has said, and without the insane charisma that Obama has naturally. Powell just oozes confidence and intelligence, and we could have done no wrong if both these men were running for president.
I watched him on Meet the Press today, and I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment. He gives a hell of an interview. As you say, he oozes intelligence. And competence. McCain talks about a "steady hand at the tiller"? That's the steady hand he's talking about.

I wish I could vote for Powell for president. But you know, I think I'm getting something along those lines when I vote for Obama. Steady, measured, and with "intellectual vigor," as Powell said. I laugh at the loonybats who think Obama is going to turn us into the USSR. Powell has it right. It's time for us to recognize that it's a different world these days than it was in 1980, and Obama represents the new generation of American and global politics.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

I find it amazing that Powell is 71.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if anyone is going to accuse Colin Powell of not being educated enough to vote for the right candidate.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
I wonder if anyone is going to accuse Colin Powell of not being educated enough to vote for the right candidate.
Not at all. Everyone knows that the less educated you are the more likely you are to vote Republican.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #6
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, just listened....all I can say is wow.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 10-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I watched him on Meet the Press today, and I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment. He gives a hell of an interview. As you say, he oozes intelligence. And competence. McCain talks about a "steady hand at the tiller"? That's the steady hand he's talking about.

I wish I could vote for Powell for president. But you know, I think I'm getting something along those lines when I vote for Obama. Steady, measured, and with "intellectual vigor," as Powell said. I laugh at the loonybats who think Obama is going to turn us into the USSR. Powell has it right. It's time for us to recognize that it's a different world these days than it was in 1980, and Obama represents the new generation of American and global politics.
I agree that Obama can at least 'look' the part. He can speak in an eloquent manner. But, when you listen to what comes out of his mouth, you quickly learn where the differences start between him and Powell. Obama is a bit like Stackhouse. Both of them theoretically bring something to the table...but when you actually pay close attention, you realize that they are worthless pieces of ... well, you can fill in the blank.

There really isn't a logical explanation for voting for Obama other than:

1. you're black and you want to vote black
2. you're democrat and you're going to vote democrat regardless of what type of dog is put out there.
3. you want change..but you don't really know or care what that change is.
4. you're just not a intelligent human being.
5. the guy you're running against is completely inept at looking the part.

Last edited by Murphy3; 10-19-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:18 PM   #8
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I agree that Obama can at least 'look' the part. He can speak in an eloquent manner. But, when you listen to what comes out of his mouth, you quickly learn where the differences start between him and Powell. Obama is a bit like Stackhouse. Both of them theoretically bring something to the table...but when you actually pay close attention, you realize that they are worthless pieces of ... well, you can fill in the blank.

There really isn't a logical explanation for voting for Obama other than:

1. you're black and you want to vote black
2. you're democrat and you're going to vote democrat regardless of what type of dog is put out there.
3. you want change..but you don't really know or care what that change is.
4. you're just not a intelligent human being.
5. the guy you're running against is completely inept at looking the part.
really?
ok, there isn't a logical explanation for voting for mccain other than:

1. you want to see the same failed policies of the past eight years continue for the next four or more years.
2. you're republican and even though the vice presidental nominee is in way over her head, you're going to vote for her anyway so you can laugh at all the tina fey sketches.
3. you like to see our economy in a chaotic contortion because it fills up the news hour and gives you something to discuss in the coffee room at work everyday.
4. you can't bear to see a black american as president.
5. you really can't comphrehend the issues anyway so you'll just vote for the status quo.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

How about:

You think the Republican party is pissing all over itself lately, and you don't wish to enable their jackassitude with your vote.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:20 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

That's pretty lame poochie.. even for you.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:20 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
How about:

You think the Republican party is pissing all over itself lately, and you don't wish to enable their jackassitude with your vote.
No, that really isn't an option. You should probably pick option number 4. Thanks though.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #12
chumdawg
Guru

You know, Murph, you like to throw out stuff about "intelligence on the issues" and somesuch...but you sure do dance on the surface. It's pretty clear that you choose Mavdog's option number five. Well, except for killing five-year-olds.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:25 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

?... where in the world did that come from Chum?
Perhaps you should be banned.

Last edited by Murphy3; 10-19-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:26 PM   #14
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I respect the heck out of Colin Powell, and the story of the picture of the headstone was very touching.

However, the rest of the interview is a huge eyeroll for me. He didn't speak to any of Obama's substance (other than saying he had it). HIs entire endorsement was based on his uncomfortableness with some of the actions of the republican party, and his appreciation for the personality and speaking ability of Obama.

Which is fine. Heck it's the basis for the majority of Obama's support. But it's certainly not anything new, other than the fact that it's coming from a pominent republican figure (although a very center of the road republican, for sure).

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:59 PM   #15
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I respect the heck out of Colin Powell, and the story of the picture of the headstone was very touching.

However, the rest of the interview is a huge eyeroll for me. He didn't speak to any of Obama's substance (other than saying he had it). HIs entire endorsement was based on his uncomfortableness with some of the actions of the republican party, and his appreciation for the personality and speaking ability of Obama.

Which is fine. Heck it's the basis for the majority of Obama's support. But it's certainly not anything new, other than the fact that it's coming from a pominent republican figure (although a very center of the road republican, for sure).
Did you watch the whole interview? He said that a couple months ago he wasn't ready to make an endorsement, but he watched the two candidates deal with the economic crisis in what amounted to a "final exam" of their leadership abilities, and after watching those final exams he chose Obama as the person best ready to lead the country in the next four years.

It was riveting stuff. You should go back and watch the whole interview.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #16
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

There is the Crazy28. And there is the Crazy28.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:05 PM   #17
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
HIs entire endorsement was based on his uncomfortableness with some of the actions of the republican party...
even though powell had other reasons than this, this kinda stuff always makes me laugh. Last election how many times did you hear someone say "I'm voting Bush even though he's a knucklehead only cause I can't STAND Kerry". I never saw republicans complain then.

but that's not really the point. as chum said, powell's reasoning had a lot to do with mccains ever changing ideas and plans and how he thinks obama did better on the "final exam".

seriously.. you guys think Colin Powell is clueless enough about politics that he'll endorse Obama because he speaks well and the republicans are being mean? seriously? you should give the guy a little more credit than that.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:08 PM   #18
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
even though powell had other reasons than this, this kinda stuff always makes me laugh. Last election how many times did you hear someone say "I'm voting Bush even though he's a knucklehead only cause I can't STAND Kerry". I never saw republicans complain then.
I knew more Kerry voters who thought this way about Bush than Bush voters who thought this way about Kerry. Then again, I knew more Kerry voters overall.

That was certainly a giant douche vs. turd sandwich election.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #19
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

There are no good reasons to endorse X and anybody who does must be Y.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:12 PM   #20
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

but that's not really the point. as chum said, powell's reasoning had a lot to do with mccains ever changing ideas and plans and how he thinks obama did better on the "final exam".

seriously.. you guys think Colin Powell is clueless enough about politics that he'll endorse Obama because he speaks well and the republicans are being mean? seriously? you should give the guy a little more credit than that.
I'm quite sure that Powell has legitimate reasons to support Obama. My ponit was in the 8 minute interview I watched, he didn't articulate any of them. So I didn't understand the buzz over the interview, unless it was simply buzz over a republican backing Obama.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 10-19-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:12 PM   #21
fluid.forty.one

"(McCain) was a little unsure as to how to deal with the economic problems we are having, and almost every day there was a different approach to the problem and that concerned me"

and he also said he doesn't think palin was a good choice at all
Old 10-19-2008, 06:13 PM   #22
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
"(McCain) was a little unsure as to how to deal with the economic problems we are having, and almost every day there was a different approach to the problem and that concerned me"

and he also said he doesn't think palin was a good choice at all
You're proving my point.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-19-2008, 06:15 PM   #23
fluid.forty.one

"Obama showed a steadiness, and intellectual curiosity, depth of knowledge and an approach to looking at the problems like this.."

and

"...also picking a vice president like (Biden) who I think is ready to be president on day one." something he doesn't think about Palin.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #24
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Why are you transcripting the interview?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #25
fluid.forty.one

dude he had an 8 minute interview even with just outlining his points. I think that what he had say about the muslim claims was very important and I was glad he fit that in there. Did you want him to break down every part of both parties plans during this interview? That's not what it was for.

He gave the general reasons why he endorsed Obama and it was already 8 minutes.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #26
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I just respect Colin Powell so much. I kinda seemed like he could have paraphrased Ronald Reagon, and just said, "He did not leave the Republican Party, the party just left him". I have said the same thing, because it is just a shame that Bush has turned the Republican party into this. Hopefully, Obama gets in office, and if so, the Republicans will have 8 years to get it back on track. I am confident it will happen in 8 years. Beautiful interview. Very classy guy, who should have ran on the Republican ticket. Colin would have represented change in the Republican party, and could have distanced himself from Bush by showing why he left the Bush Administration.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:18 PM   #27
fluid.forty.one

umm because there's more to the quotes that I just posted than: "his uncomfortableness with some of the actions of the republican party, and his appreciation for the personality and speaking ability of Obama."
Old 10-19-2008, 06:18 PM   #28
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
dude he had an 8 minute interview even with just outlining his points. I think that what he had say about the muslim claims was very important and I was glad he fit that in there. Did you want him to break down every part of both parties plans during this interview? That's not what it was for.

He gave the general reasons why he endorsed Obama and it was already 8 minutes.
And the general reasons were he didn't like some of the things the republican party was doing, and he liked Obama's style and personality.

Which is all stuff we've heard before. All I'm saying.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #29
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
I knew more Kerry voters who thought this way about Bush than Bush voters who thought this way about Kerry. Then again, I knew more Kerry voters overall.

That was certainly a giant douche vs. turd sandwich election.
Rep owed...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #30
fluid.forty.one

you were making it seem like his uncomfortableness of the republicans actions were all coming from the Ayers stuff.

and again, he gave an endorsement not a lecture. I'm sure you agree he couldn't, and shouldn't have, done more during this specific interview. I thought it was important so I posted it.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #31
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
umm because there's more to the quotes that I just posted than: "his uncomfortableness with some of the actions of the republican party, and his appreciation for the personality and speaking ability of Obama."
If that's true you haven't posted any. Everything you've posted matches my description.

Just be happy for the endorsement.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #32
fluid.forty.one

as I said, you were making it seem like he was only uncomfortable with the Ayer and Muslim ties. I'd say being worried about mccain changing ideas every day is legit.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 10-19-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #33
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
you were making it seem like his uncomfortableness of the republicans actions were all coming from the Ayers stuff.

and again, he gave an endorsement not a lecture. I'm sure you agree he couldn't, and shouldn't have, done more during this specific interview. I thought it was important so I posted it.
Perhaps that's what you inferred, I said nothing of the sort. There were many facets to his disagreement with the republican party.

If you would like help transcribing them, he also was uncomfortable with a further shift towards conservatism, and the appointing of more conservative Supreme Court Judges (which he felt would happen if McCain/Palin was elected).

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 10-19-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #34
fluid.forty.one

either way he said he had reasons, although they weren't specific enough for you, that he didn't like mccains approach the last few weeks concerning the economic crisis, and he liked obama's. I'm sure Powell knows a lot more than any of us about politics, and it's unforutune that he didn't go into more detail, but either way this is the only interview so I posted it. I do think it would be ridiculous to expect him to go into intense detail.. and maybe he assumed we we've been watching both parties talk about their plans, and he was giving us enough credit to connect the dots.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #35
aquaadverse

aquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov View Post
I just respect Colin Powell so much. I kinda seemed like he could have paraphrased Ronald Reagon, and just said, "He did not leave the Republican Party, the party just left him". I have said the same thing, because it is just a shame that Bush has turned the Republican party into this. Hopefully, Obama gets in office, and if so, the Republicans will have 8 years to get it back on track. I am confident it will happen in 8 years. Beautiful interview. Very classy guy, who should have ran on the Republican ticket. Colin would have represented change in the Republican party, and could have distanced himself from Bush by showing why he left the Bush Administration.
Powell wouldn't be a good choice for President. He is Robin, not Batman. He was a poor Secretary of State, and his conduct afterward made me lose a lot of respect for him. Bush brought him on board to appease Europe. Smart, yes. Classy? Not so much.
aquaadverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #36
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
I'm quite sure that Powell has legitimate reasons to support Obama. My ponit was in the 8 minute interview I watched, he didn't articulate any of them. So I didn't understand the buzz over the interview, unless it was simply buzz over a republican backing Obama.
Thig, with due respect, if you watched the whole interview and you didn't hear the reasons he articulated why he was supporting Obama, you weren't paying attention.

You are, of course, more than welcome to challenge Powell's reasons for endorsing Obama. To claim that he didn't give a reason, though, is simply not being reasonable, or even aware.

Watch it again, would be my recommendation. It seems that you didn't grasp it the first time.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #37
mary
Troll Hunter

To me, Powell spoke of Obama's competence and his willingness to be inclusive.

I don't think either of those equate to "style and personality".

Last edited by mary; 10-19-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #38
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
To me, Powell spoke of Obama's competence and his willingness to be inclusive.

I don't think either of those equate to "style and personality".
He did, he did speak of Obama's competence and especially his willingness to be inclusive, and how important that is.

But let's not sugarcoat what he also said. He basically indicted the Republican party as the hatemongers that they are. He called them out for their lack of substance on any of the important issues of our day. It was a strong, and not veiled, indictment of the politics they are playing.

Until the Republican party rids itself of the far-right-social-conservative wing, it will be a fringe party. When it gets back to fiscal conservatism it will be competitive again.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:58 PM   #39
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Willingness to be inclusive I'll give you. Competence is a very generic and subjective thing.

As to Chum, I never said he didn't give reasons. What I said was the bulk of his reasons were based more on negatives against his own party than anything else. And I stand by that.

A fringe party? That's nothing but wishful thinking on your part. Give Obama his 8 (maybe 4, probably 8) and the pendelum will have swung back the other way.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 10-19-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #40
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
"Obama showed a steadiness, and intellectual curiosity, depth of knowledge and an approach to looking at the problems like this.."

and

"...also picking a vice president like (Biden) who I think is ready to be president on day one." something he doesn't think about Palin.
Thanks, I also thought these quotes stood out. All of those things, steadiness, intellectual curiosity, depth of knowledge - those are thing I want my President to have. He/she could be an old stump for all I care, but I still have some expectations about their mental acumen....and that has much less to do with style and personality and more to do with composition.

And yeah, making a responsible pick for your VP candidate is also important.

Just MHO, of course.