Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 10-19-2008, 08:04 PM   #41
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Give Obama his 8 (maybe 4, probably 8) and the pendelum will have swung back the other way.

This part I totally agree with. It wasn't four years ago that people were declaring the Democrat party to be dead too.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2008, 08:06 PM   #42
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

And Chum was probably right there, toasting his republican mates and declaring the demise of the Dems.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:08 PM   #43
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
As to Chum, I never said he didn't give reasons. What I said was the bulk of his reasons were based more on negatives against his own party than anything else. And I stand by that
He did give reasons why he is voting for Obama. I can't imagine why you are ignoring those.

But to play your game, even if Powell's vote was strictly an inidictment of his own party, why does that hold less sway with you? This is a Republican--and an extremely well respected one, at that, a guy who has served in a Republican administration--who is telling you that the Republicans have it all wrong these days.

What would it take for you to say: "You know, I've always identified as a Republican, but these guys don't know their ass from a hole in the ground."

What would it take?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #44
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
He did give reasons why he is voting for Obama. I can't imagine why you are ignoring those.

But to play your game, even if Powell's vote was strictly an inidictment of his own party, why does that hold less sway with you? This is a Republican--and an extremely well respected one, at that, a guy who has served in a Republican administration--who is telling you that the Republicans have it all wrong these days.

What would it take for you to say: "You know, I've always identified as a Republican, but these guys don't know their ass from a hole in the ground."

What would it take?

It would take that actually being the case.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 10-19-2008, 08:21 PM   #45
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It would take that actually being the case.
Welcome to 2008, brutha.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:29 PM   #46
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
And Chum was probably right there, toasting his republican mates and declaring the demise of the Dems.
I did that in 1994, when the Dems were indeed dead, and Newt ushered in a Republican congress.

The pendulum has swung. Republicans are way out of style. There are three factions to the Republican party. One is the business conservatives, who prefer low taxes and no regulation. One is the "neo-con" militant faction, who prefers to spread American supremacy abroad. The third is the social conservatives, who want God and Jesus to rule this world.

It's a fractured party, which is why it will lose ignominiously in a couple weeks. The party itself can't figure out what it stands for, and people at large don't like much of anything it stands for.

That's how you fade into oblivion, and that's why the great majority of Republican candidates will lose their races this fall.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:43 PM   #47
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Fade into oblivion...until the next pendulum swing.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 10-19-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #48
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Fade into oblivion...until the next pendulum swing.
It can take thirty years.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #49
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
I did that in 1994, when the Dems were indeed dead, and Newt ushered in a Republican congress.

The pendulum has swung. Republicans are way out of style. There are three factions to the Republican party. One is the business conservatives, who prefer low taxes and no regulation. One is the "neo-con" militant faction, who prefers to spread American supremacy abroad. The third is the social conservatives, who want God and Jesus to rule this world.

It's a fractured party, which is why it will lose ignominiously in a couple weeks. The party itself can't figure out what it stands for, and people at large don't like much of anything it stands for.

That's how you fade into oblivion, and that's why the great majority of Republican candidates will lose their races this fall.
as samuel clements siad, "reports of my death are greatly exaggerated".

the republican party will learn from their expected defeat this election, and just like the democrat party did in 1992 it will find a platform and candidate that will be competitive.

it may not be 2012, more than likely 2016, but it will put a ticket that better reflects the desires of the electorate.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:55 PM   #50
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog View Post
it may not be 2012, more than likely 2016, but it will put a ticket that better reflects the desires of the electorate.
I'll believe that the Republican party shakes off its far-right wing when I see it.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:04 PM   #51
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It truly is a shame that so few people will be voting because they actually like a candidate... That truly is the sad thing. It is so easy to find reasons why someone isn't voting for McCain...and why someone isn't voting for Obama. It just sucks that this is the third presidential election in a row where there hasn't been a candidate worth voting for.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #52
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

it's not nearly as bad as it was in 2004 murph
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #53
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
It truly is a shame that so few people will be voting because they actually like a candidate....
You are way, way wrong on this one.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:38 PM   #54
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

No, I'm not. I realize that you're trying to justify your vote.. but neither candidate should be considered a strong candidate at all. If the democrats had a strong candidate, this thing would have been over as soon as the candidates were decided.

But, people are unsure of Obama at best.... The one thing that they are sure about is that he's not a Republican. The US is in a sorry position if this is the main calling card of a candidate.. the one reason why he will be elected is simply because he's not a Republican.. No, it's not because he's well liked.. sure, some like him. But, many with no party affiliation will be voting for him simply because they want change. You know that's true. You know that the reason why he'll win this election is because of that. Everyone knows this. He's not winning a huge percentage of people over. All he's had to do is not lose it. But hell, his background is so spotty that even that is iffy.

Last edited by Murphy3; 10-19-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:38 PM   #55
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Can McCain get Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan to make a public endorsement...

or are they going to vote purely on the basis of race as well?
Old 10-19-2008, 09:45 PM   #56
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
No, I'm not. I realize that you're trying to justify your vote.. but neither candidate should be considered a strong candidate at all. If the democrats had a strong candidate, this thing would have been over as soon as the candidates were decided.

But, people are unsure of Obama at best.... The one thing that they are sure about is that he's not a Republican. The US is in a sorry position if this is the main calling card of a candidate.. the one reason why he will be elected is simply because he's not a Republican.. No, it's not because he's well liked.. sure, some like him. But, many with no party affiliation will be voting for him simply because they want change. You know that's true. You know that the reason why he'll win this election is because of that. Everyone knows this. He's not winning a huge percentage of people over. All he's had to do is not lose it. But hell, his background is so spotty that even that is iffy.
I'd reckon that this attitude is exactly why the Republicans will lose disgracefully on November 4.

He IS a strong canddiate. Pretend that he's not all you want, and watch your congressional seats go to the other side.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:45 PM   #57
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
just because people "shouldn't" think he's strong, doesn't mean they don't. There are a TON of people who love Obama... regardless of if you think they should or not.

Or even if they don't have good reason to.. they still do.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:53 PM   #58
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
just because people "shouldn't" think he's strong, doesn't mean they don't. There are a TON of people who love Obama... regardless of if you think they should or not.

In fact, I'd say that the sole reason for Obama's lead in the polls is that intellectual people like the idea of voting for another intellectual.

And they also like the idea of voting against an anti-intellectual.

Call the electorate stupid, in a Rove-ian fashion, all you like, but the fact remains. People are smarter than the far-right-wingers give them credit for.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:38 PM   #59
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post

I'm not saying that no one loves obama... I'm saying that this is not the reason he'll win the election.. saying that it's because he's not a Republican.. and that if he were a decent candidate, this election would have been a slam dunk.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #60
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
In fact, I'd say that the sole reason for Obama's lead in the polls is that intellectual people like the idea of voting for another intellectual.

And they also like the idea of voting against an anti-intellectual.

Call the electorate stupid, in a Rove-ian fashion, all you like, but the fact remains. People are smarter than the far-right-wingers give them credit for.
You're full of yourself. That is idiotic to say the least. There are intellectuals on both sides. I'm not a far right ringer.. I'm not saying that people are stupid.. I'm saying that the group that will swing the election are primarily voting for Obama because he's as far away from Bush as they can get... not because of what Obama has done. If it were based upon what Obama has done, ...most people wouldn't even know his name.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #61
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
I'm not saying that no one loves obama... I'm saying that this is not the reason he'll win the election.. saying that it's because he's not a Republican.. and that if he were a decent candidate, this election would have been a slam dunk.
If there are no surprises, Murph, this *is* a slam dunk. Not sure what you are getting at.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #62
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It can take thirty years.
After the impending Carter-esque administration, it won't take that long.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:44 PM   #63
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
I'm not saying that people are stupid.. I'm saying that the group that will swing the election are primarily voting for Obama because he's as far away from Bush as they can get.
How is this different from saying that intellectual people will decide this election?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:05 AM   #64
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh_c5bbvmqc

shoot em up.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:18 AM   #65
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaadverse View Post
Powell wouldn't be a good choice for President. He is Robin, not Batman. He was a poor Secretary of State, and his conduct afterward made me lose a lot of respect for him. Bush brought him on board to appease Europe. Smart, yes. Classy? Not so much.
I am pretty sure he was extremely classy until he backed Obama. Please dont try to smear what Colin Powell has done, because then it wouild become even more clear on discounting the military career of McCain, which means he pretty much has NOTHING to offer America.

Colin decided to back who he felt the best candidate would be. His reasonings are his, just like yours or mine. He was a great Secretary of State and when he left it the Bush Administration took a turn for the worse. I am not saying he was the reason for any success in the first term for Bush, but he is very essential to the country. Bush played him and lied to get him onboard to back the war. This was horrible and Colin decided to part ways in a respectable way, while the Bush Admin try to downplay it and tried to smear his name.

Colin's military career by far is better than McCain, so please dont go there with he is a Robin. If so, then you just said McCain is the butler for Batman and Robin.

Last edited by Silk Smoov; 10-20-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:58 PM   #66
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

eric schmidt is coming out for obama:
http://rawstory.com/news/afp/Google_..._10202008.html

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #67
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
It truly is a shame that so few people will be voting because they actually like a candidate... That truly is the sad thing. It is so easy to find reasons why someone isn't voting for McCain...and why someone isn't voting for Obama. It just sucks that this is the third presidential election in a row where there hasn't been a candidate worth voting for.
I agree and disagree.

I agree that in Obama and McCain we don't have a candidate that we want to vote for, but rather one that we want to vote against.

As for the last two elections, I was honored and proud to vote for George W. Bush. He inherited a pretty messed up late when the Clinton camp tried their best to destroy this nation. Then when 9/11 happened, he stood in leadership and has been focused with the War on Terror ever since.

National Security is the most important issue that any President will handle and I am proud of the way President Bush has lead this nation. Saddly he has had to fight the political left every step of the way. The left has been so focused on power that they forgot how to unite as a team of Americans...rathe the left has split America and worked hard to tarnish the great work from President Bush and his appointed and elected leaders.

I know that many will disagree...and that is your right. I for one, am proud that I voted for President Bush and did so because I believe and trust the man as our President.

Now our choices are for a Liberal Republican or a NEO-LIB Radical Socialist Democrat. Thus the lesser of two evils is McCain by a long shot...but again, it's a vote against the other rather than for the one.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote