Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-29-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
LetsGoMavs
Diamond Member

LetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant future
Thumbs up PGT | 01-30-11 | Hawks @ Mavs = WIN!

Apparently nobody else seemed to want to make a thread...so i thought: "Why not give it a go"

PS:
Gotta give Haywood props for this game - hustle, defense and even his freethrow shooting was there tonite!
Old 01-29-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

big win, the hawks are a really tough team. dirk's shot looked better than ever. i'm still optimistic about the future
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

So three games, ago, we played the Nets. Five minutes into his stint in the first half, Haywood took a ridiculous fadeaway jump shot. RC immediately sent in Ian, and Haywood didn't sniff the court the rest of the night, even though the Mavs were desperate for Haywood's size to help with Lopez, who was destroying them.

This was a very loud and clear message being sent.

Since that time, Haywood has turned in his two best performances of the season. There was the Houston game sandwiched in between where he barely played, but that was matchups related.

Haywood was really, really good tonight, and played with the kind of emotion that we haven't seen at all from him this season. I really, really hope this continues.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Great balance over the last few games...the team is starting to play well again and if Haywood can play like tonight we might be able to get through withhold Butler for a while.

** I want to give credit to JET as well....I love when he has a bad noight people throw him under the bus soo fast, but very few of those people come out and say something good when he has games like this or when he does his part.

And the funny thing is that the worst of the Jet haters always point out that he shouldn't be the 2nd or even 3rd option on a team because he has some bad stretches...but when he plays most of the times like a 2nd option and sometimes like the 1st very few give him credit

Anyway I feel bettr now lol...... GOOO MAVS...GREAT JOB
Old 01-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely think Haywood gives a bad effort sometimes, but it's only sometimes. I don't think his effort or emotion was any different tonight than the majority of his games. He just played better. And he hit some FT's.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #6
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
So three games, ago, we played the Nets. Five minutes into his stint in the first half, Haywood took a ridiculous fadeaway jump shot. RC immediately sent in Ian, and Haywood didn't sniff the court the rest of the night, even though the Mavs were desperate for Haywood's size to help with Lopez, who was destroying them.

This was a very loud and clear message being sent.

Since that time, Haywood has turned in his two best performances of the season. There was the Houston game sandwiched in between where he barely played, but that was matchups related.

Haywood was really, really good tonight, and played with the kind of emotion that we haven't seen at all from him this season. I really, really hope this continues.
You aren't kidding. As disappointing as he's been most of the season, if he keeps playing like he has been recently - which is to say like he's unquestionably capable of playing - he's a flat-out game-changer on the defensive end.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #7
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I definitely think Haywood gives a bad effort sometimes, but it's only sometimes. I don't think his effort or emotion was any different tonight than the majority of his games. He just played better. And he hit some FT's.
Could not possibly disagree more.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 01-30-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes you could. I could have said, "Haywood tries really hard every single game."

Old 01-30-2011, 12:13 AM   #9
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Guess im such a "Jet hater" and yes i really dont care how good he will be the rest of the regular season, its all about the postseason (specially related to Jason Terry).
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:15 AM   #10
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This X100.

Like I said in the GDT, this is a guy who for prolonged stretches has looked like a terrible player, and it has NOTHING to do with skill, because as he shows, when he wants, he is a top 10 caliber center. I cannot fathom how some people here can't see that Haywood has been a completely different player effort wise the past few games. And it's not like the guy doesn't have a huge history of dogging it when he doesn't want to try. This is one of those apparently polarizing things that baffles me (with regard to some posters not seeing what to me is grass = green obvious).
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #11
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Playing hard is part of the skill package...I'm not sure it can be seperated at all.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:24 AM   #12
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Yes you could. I could have said, "Haywood tries really hard every single game."
But is it actually possible to disagree more with the original statement?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:29 AM   #13
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Effort and skill are easily seperable.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:29 AM   #14
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
This X100.

Like I said in the GDT, this is a guy who for prolonged stretches has looked like a terrible player, and it has NOTHING to do with skill, because as he shows, when he wants, he is a top 10 caliber center. I cannot fathom how some people here can't see that Haywood has been a completely different player effort wise the past few games. And it's not like the guy doesn't have a huge history of dogging it when he doesn't want to try. This is one of those apparently polarizing things that baffles me (with regard to some posters not seeing what to me is grass = green obvious).
yep, that's all true. i'd just love to know what snapped in his head to make him want to start playing hard and trying again.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:35 AM   #15
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
But is it actually possible to disagree more with the original statement?
Now we're talkin'. Really getting down to the meat and potatoes here. And here's a perfect chance to put this into action, cause I'm going to moderately agree but moderately disagree with two statements:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Playing hard is part of the skill package...I'm not sure it can be seperated at all.
Agree that it's often very difficult to separate them, disagree that they can't be separated at all. It's possible in some instances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Effort and skill are easily seperable.
Agree that they're capable of being separated, but disagree that it's (always) easy to do so.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:41 AM   #16
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
yep, that's all true. i'd just love to know what snapped in his head to make him want to start playing hard and trying again.
I think jthig is correct in citing his benching against NJ as a contributing factor. Having exactly one guy behind him who's a threat to his spot in the rotation instead of two who are only nominal or matchup threats might be playing a role as well. Beyond that, I can't imagine that his persistent lack of in-game focus is still rewarding to him in any way, even if it once was in some childish way, yet as time has gone on it's probably not costing him any less effort to ratchet up his aloofness once tipoff arrives. Eventually any behavior that's not rewarded will cease to occur, and that's hopefully part of what's going on.

Goodness knows Dallas could stand for him to keep playing like this. He's the one guy on the roster who's capable of making up for some of what the Mavs lost defensively when Caron went down.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:06 AM   #17
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Cardinal has played 2 minutes in the last 4 games combined, seems like he won't last past the deadline

Last edited by mavs777; 01-30-2011 at 01:06 AM.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:11 AM   #18
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

For the second game in a row (and second game this season), the Mavs had 7 different players score in double digits - Dirk (19), Terry (18), Chandler (12), Kidd (12), Stevenson (11), Marion (11) and Haywood (10).

We also had 28 assists tonight (25 last game, 23 season avg) - Terry had a team-high 11 to go with his 18 points and Stevenson still proved useful in the offense during a 3-10 shooting slump by dishing out another 5. I've loved the movement on the offensive end the past 2 games - we finally seem to be clicking again.

Dirk looks like he's getting a little pep back in his step. He doesn't exactly appear to be 100%, but at least he's back to shooting efficiently (8-11 FG / 1-1 3P / 2-3 FT). He also added 6 rebounds, 4 assists and some pretty good defense. Nothing to worry about here, folks!

Brendan Haywood played like a man tonight. 10 points, 6 rebounds (2 offensive), solid defense and 6-9 from the dreaded FT line in 19 minutes. It looks like he's finally embraced his role as a backup - if he's playing like this in April, I like our chances against the Lakers and Spurs.

Sasha, Sasha, Sasha - good luck, dude!! (but I smell something brewing in the Mavs front office...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:32 AM   #19
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

MMB recap
http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2011/1/...avs-over-hawks
Old 01-30-2011, 01:35 AM   #20
xrobx
Diamond Member

in other good news, the hornets lost to the queens tonight
Old 01-30-2011, 01:44 AM   #21
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Great win and it's great to see Dirk shooting well again.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:28 AM   #22
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
For the second game in a row (and second game this season), the Mavs had 7 different players score in double digits - Dirk (19), Terry (18), Chandler (12), Kidd (12), Stevenson (11), Marion (11) and Haywood (10).

We also had 28 assists tonight (25 last game, 23 season avg) - Terry had a team-high 11 to go with his 18 points and Stevenson still proved useful in the offense during a 3-10 shooting slump by dishing out another 5. I've loved the movement on the offensive end the past 2 games - we finally seem to be clicking again.

Dirk looks like he's getting a little pep back in his step. He doesn't exactly appear to be 100%, but at least he's back to shooting efficiently (8-11 FG / 1-1 3P / 2-3 FT). He also added 6 rebounds, 4 assists and some pretty good defense. Nothing to worry about here, folks!

Brendan Haywood played like a man tonight. 10 points, 6 rebounds (2 offensive), solid defense and 6-9 from the dreaded FT line in 19 minutes. It looks like he's finally embraced his role as a backup - if he's playing like this in April, I like our chances against the Lakers and Spurs.

Sasha, Sasha, Sasha - good luck, dude!! (but I smell something brewing in the Mavs front office...)
nice post homeboy
great to see Haywood ballin'.
i agree this team can do damage in the playoffs with our 2 Centers playing well

Last edited by mac222b; 01-30-2011 at 04:29 AM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:37 AM   #23
deamon
Golden Member

deamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these parts

I don't remember when last time Haywood played so good, but telling ,,if he's playing like this in April, I like our chances against the Lakers and Spurs" is just right if you say about RS. SAS and LAL are different teams in PO, when DAL play the same as in RS and that's not enough for PO.
deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #24
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Being a Hawks fan must be really frustrating. They really are in the worst possible position. They are a good team that competes (which is always fun) but they just do not have a superstar at all. It's apparent that in this league you have to have a superstart that requires double-teaming to stop and even then you may not stop them.

They just do not have it. I'd have to tear it all down if I were them, I don't see anyone to build that team around.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #25
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why are you so convinced that Haywood's issues stem from a lack of effort rather than a lack of confidence?

Because I don't see a guy who isn't trying - I see a guy whose self esteem took a blow when he lost the starting job and has been trying to figure out how to cope with that on the court; a guy who looked more like he was struggling to fit in with the new-look Mavs than a guy who was simply pouting.

I think his FT shooting is a perfect illustration of what I'm talking about - certainly you don't believe it was a "lack of effort" that caused him to shoot 20% from the charity stripe, do you? Notice how his FT percentage suddenly got better as the rest of his game kicked up a notch - that reeks of confidence, not effort (although it's easy to mix up the two when the results are the same...)

And I don't think Carlisle played Ian over Haywood just to give him a wake-up call either (although it was part of it) - I think he did it more because the Mavs couldn't afford to keep losing games while Haywood was trying to "figure it out"... Rick has been very gentle with Haywood, which also seems to indicate a confidence issue. If it was simply a lack of effort, I doubt Carlisle would hesitate to kick 'Wood's ass up and down the court or just bench him indefinitely.

I'm not saying your observations about Haywood are off-base, but I do think his problems are a little less selfish than he's being accused of (hell, I wouldn't be totally shocked to find out that Haywood shares some of the concerns about himself that we do.)

Hopefully he's ready to put an end to this debate by continuing to perform like he has the past couple games - hopefully the New 'Wood is here to stay.

EDIT: this quote from Haywood last night seems to support my theory:
Quote:
"I just take it one game at a time and try to move forward. I'm starting to understand what I'm asked to do out there, and I'm feeling more comfortable"

Last edited by Underdog; 01-30-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #26
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, thank you Sasha for being a nice patch hole. And thanks for a broken nose on a 10 day contract. (Now that's giving it up for the team!)

Haywood's effort definitely looks much better. Of course, just making the stupid fts makes him look better either way.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #27
dude1394
Guru

I'm kind of surprise the hawks didn't start hack-a-wood.. I expect that would have exploded his head again...unfortunately.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #28
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I'm kind of surprise the hawks didn't start hack-a-wood.. I expect that would have exploded his head again...unfortunately.
I think that's why Haywood wasn't on the court the last few minutes of the game, even though his play had earned him the finish.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-30-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: late typo catch
Old 01-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #29
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
I think that's why Haywood wasn't on the court the last few minutes of the game, even thought his play had earned him the finish.
Good move by rc then...but if I were the hawks I would have done it to get him out earlier.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #30
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Why are you so convinced that Haywood's issues stem from a lack of effort rather than a lack of confidence?

Because I don't see a guy who isn't trying - I see a guy whose self esteem took a blow when he lost the starting job and has been trying to figure out how to cope with that on the court; a guy who looked more like he was struggling to fit in with the new-look Mavs than a guy who was simply pouting.

I think his FT shooting is a perfect illustration of what I'm talking about - certainly you don't believe it was a "lack of effort" that caused him to shoot 20% from the charity stripe, do you? Notice how his FT percentage suddenly got better as the rest of his game kicked up a notch - that reeks of confidence, not effort (although it's easy to mix up the two when the results are the same...)

And I don't think Carlisle played Ian over Haywood just to give him a wake-up call either (although it was part of it) - I think he did it more because the Mavs couldn't afford to keep losing games while Haywood was trying to "figure it out"... Rick has been very gentle with Haywood, which also seems to indicate a confidence issue. If it was simply a lack of effort, I doubt Carlisle would hesitate to kick 'Wood's ass up and down the court or just bench him indefinitely.

I'm not saying your observations about Haywood are off-base, but I do think his problems are a little less selfish than he's being accused of (hell, I wouldn't be totally shocked to find out that Haywood shares some of the concerns about himself that we do.)

Hopefully he's ready to put an end to this debate by continuing to perform like he has the past couple games - hopefully the New 'Wood is here to stay.

I just completely disagree. I see a guy that hasn't cared enough to give max effort. I don't buy the comfort thing because it didn't take him any time to get comfortable here last year. And your reasoning for why RC has gone to Ian doesn't make sense to me because he hasn't been very good. He got destroyed in the NJ game. The only reason he kept plating was to send a message.

As for RC kicking his ass, how do we know he isn't? Hell Haywood got suspended for arguing with RC.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #31
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I can totally see both angles, he's pissed/grumpy because he thought he was going to be a starter, someone took away his ball and told him to go home. Everyone can't cope with that the right way. Many people would say, F...you got paid, you're getting paid and you get to play just 15-20 minutes at the most, that's a sweet deal.

I could easily read into his comment as he's "comfortable" in the sense that enough is enough...the effort is not going to cut it and there will be ramifications of some kind if the stuff doesn't stop. Minutes go away..."we love Mahinmi..." etc.

I will say that Haywood isn't totally sitting on the money, he does work. He's doing a lot of work in practice working on his low-post game, the free throws and a TON of cardio work.

Either way...you guys should be demanding that players come on MOR haha, they clearly respond when they're either on or they get heavily mentioned.

We're kind of ahead of the curve
Old 01-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #32
BUMP
Banned

BUMP is an unknown quantity at this point

As frustrating and lazy as he is, Haywood is a big factor in whether or not the Mavs can make a title run or not. We will need his length against LA and Utah.
BUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #33
Underdog

Brendan Haywood missed his free throws because Rick Carlisle peed in his Cheerios and he'd probably be an All-Star if he smiled more...

It's a scientific fact.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #34
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Brendan Haywood missed his free throws because Rick Carlisle peed in his Cheerios and he'd probably be an All-Star if he smiled more...

It's a scientific fact.
second day in a row I've heard a pissing in cheerios reference....weird
Old 01-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #35
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
second day in a row I've heard a pissing in cheerios reference....weird
It's the third-most preferred Cheerios topping after milk and beer...

Old 01-30-2011, 02:52 PM   #36
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

Since we are all talking about brendan.... his FT shooting has been getting better.

october: 0-2 0%
November: 6-22 27%
DEcember: 9-29 31 %
January: 20-43 46.5%
Last 10 games: 52%
Last 5 games : 69%

hopefully he can stabilize around the 60-70% range. That'd be ok for him

Last edited by Lor20; 01-30-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #37
BUMP
Banned

BUMP is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember last season when Haywood was balling after the trade, I actually begged the question if he was maybe the best low post scorer the Mavs have ever had in the Cuban era and maybe franchise history.

Not a stretch when you actually consider the stiffs we've trotted out there over the years.
BUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #38
LonghornDub

Quote:

Co-sign all of this. And I'll add that "poor effort" is often conflated with the inconsistency and sometimes-long stretches of poor productivity that always occur with decidedly mediocre, inconsistent players like Haywood. Damp got accused of all the same stuff (although not by thig) that people are now accusing Haywood of. That's not a coincidence.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #39
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

The suspension and the benchings suggest that this is not simply inconsistency.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #40
LonghornDub

Quote:
The suspension and the benchings suggest that this is not simply inconsistency.
Damp got benched all the time, too, and I know you don't think he was regularly loafing it out there (nor do I). And if the suspension bears any link to effort, it's a very tenuous one, at best. There was never any report that his argument with Carlisle had anything to do with lack of effort.

I think the real issue is that the suspension plays into the impression that Haywood isn't anywhere near a model team player, which leaves fans with a bad taste in their mouths, which then leads to fans assuming that his poor performances are because of bad effort. Understandable inferences, but tenuous ones nonetheless.