Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-31-2002, 01:57 PM   #1
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Upon writing my last post I started thinking about what the next couple years in the NBA will bring us. Looking at current rosters here is what I think:

East

New Jersey: I still can't understand hwo this team has gotten so good all of a sudden. Kidd has worked miracles over here. If he stays, they will remain one of the top teams in the East for a number of years

Boston: A good corps of Walker and Pierce, but after that they have nothing. Unless they pick up another piecethey remain a 3-6 seed in the East

Orlando: Lots of question marks here. T Mac's upside is huge, Hill's downside is huge. I don't see them getting any better unless somebody heals Hill... well if they got Duncan

Philadelphia: I see them dropping maybe even out of the playoffs. Mutombo will be riding a lark in about two years. This leaves only Iverson to carry the team. He can't do it, hell i don't think anyone can. I don't see any young talent here that really excites me.

New York: They have more money problems than Enron. There cap problems might make them one of the worst 2-3 teams in the NBA a couple years down the road. They must learn to stop acquiring ovrepaid guards. By the way thanks New York for taking Eisley.

Miami: See New York

Milwakee: I think you are currently watching the Bucs at the best they will ever be. They are a 2,3 seed in the East for the next several years, but i don't see them challanging the big boys in the West.

Toronto: The end of Vincanity. The Raptors will lose Akeem, and a couple other older players will slow down. Vince is going to demand a trade, but he won't get it. Team implodes and turns into a Denver situation.

Detroit: They will be Detroit, .500 team

Indiana: I think within 2-3 years they will be one of the best in the East, and competing for an NBA championship. Tons of young talent, and the second best center in the league. O Neal will be a 25 and 12 guy. Add Bender, there other young players, and Miller probably still hitting threes from his walker at a 45% clip.

Charlotte or New Orleans or ?: They will have learned that you cannot build a team around mashburn as your go to guy. Either add a piece to complement him, or start over.

Atlanta: Bad

Cavs: They will find a new team doctor, and a new GM. They will still be bad though. Z will have retired, as his feet will never hold up though an entire NBA season.

Chicago: Bad

West

Minn: I think they will be about the same team, maybe marginally better with the improvement of Wally, but i think this team is close to peaking. Will it be enough? I don't think so, but they will contend for the next several years.

San Antonio: In the lottery, Duncan is gone, Robinson retired, Spurs will stink, unless the get Kidd.

Utah: Either a borderline playoff team with Malone, or in the lottery

Houston: They will be a Mavs starter kit. Great guard play, but need a big man. Playoff team, but never advances very far. Will be a fun team to watch though.

Denver: Whoever is there star will be asking for a trade. Lottery

Memphis: Borderline playoff team probably get in. Battier is consistant, Gasol is an all-star. Wright is pulling 12 boards a night, and Williams is a nut bar. Fun team to watch, will be much improved and still improving.

Sacramento: One of the the top teams 3 teams in the league. A contender every year.

Lakers: Favorites to win it all every year, and will most. At least sa long as Shaq is around.

Seattle: .500

Clippers: Tough one to predict. Depends what their owner does. I know history tells us otherwise, but I have a hunch he is going to spend some money this time. Maybe it the new arena, or pressure from Stern, but he will kepp some of this talent. If he does they are a top 5 team in the league. If he doesn't seee Clippers circa 1997, 1992, 1986, etc.

Phoenix: Lottery team, marbury does nothing for me, and Marion is nice but is a number 3 option on a really good team. Not a number 2.

Blazers: A playoff team for a number of years but they have to make some trades to upgrade their roster. They have too many players at the same talent level - they need to trade them two for one at a talent upgrade (Thanks to MFFL)

Golden State: Bad

Mavs: Another difficult one. Could be a contender, depends how Dirk and nash keep developing. IF they do could be there with the Kings as one of the top 2/3 teams in the league every year. If they have peaked right now, the mavs could end up being a better vresion of the Bucks, a good team but not good enough to win it all. The good news is they still have room to grow, and an owner who is willing to spend to win.

Any thoughts/questions. Man I need a job.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2002, 03:03 PM   #2
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Your not going to believe this from a Mavs board, but I disagree with your Mavs assessment. They don't lose any players next year, and in two years they dump Juwan's contract. They probably keep him and add another quality player. I think the only way to beat the Lakers with Shaq-Kobe is to play a different kind of game. This is what Nellie does best. As long as Nellie is here, we win a Championship in 3-4 years.

For the Lakers, I won't be shocked it Kobe Shaq tandem ends in a few year (2-3). That of course changed the dynamics of everything.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 03:08 PM   #3
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Considering that Shaq has openly stated he will retire when Jackson leaves, then there shouldn't be a Kobe/Shaq tandem in three years [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Yea right.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 03:56 PM   #4
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I understand your point, I dodn't mean to come across as a Mavs pessimist. In fact I think the future is bright for them. Dirk needs to continue to develop for them to be a top three team in the future. They are pretty close right now, and Dirk has given me no reason to believe he has topped out. As far as future cap room that could obviously help this team, but if an offer comes to help you win more now you take it. I think you choose the definite now over the possible (Duncan) later. Even if the possible is a Duncan. In summation I like the Mavs chances to contend in a couple years, as long as Shaq is around the Lakers will be the favorites, but that does not mean they can not be beat. This include this year as well.

Old 01-31-2002, 06:02 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

to think the lakers can't be beat is ..well, a bit ridiculous.
there are a few teams that can compete with them...and anything can happen.
yes, the lakers will be the favorites but if finley can play at the same level with slightly better play from nash and continued development from dirk..well, that's one hell of a start.
also, role players such as najera, buckner, griffin, hardaway and others will give the mavs a chance to win a series against the lakers.

is it likely?..no, the lakers would be favored of course.
however, there's no apparent ceiling to how good Dirk can be.
can he score 28-30 a game and shoot 48-50%?
it's possible
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 07:05 PM   #6
grbh
Platinum Member

That is what i was saying. Favorites of course, but they are not unbeatable. Heck the Mavs almost beat them with Shaq/Kobe tandem going for 69. If they can hold Shaq/Kobe under 50-55 a game I like their chances.