Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-05-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
island_dude

island_dude will become famous soon enough
Default Upcoming Spurs Game

Even though the Spurs beat the Jazz last night it was pretty much a battle to the end. They were cruising at one point, up by 24 points, then the Jazz came back to cut the lead to as low as 5 in the fourth quarter.

This could be key, in that the Spurs weren't able to rest their starters in the fourth quarter, and have to play the Kings tonight at home in a back to back. The Kings should be plenty pissed off after the spanking they got last night, plus when the game was out of hand Adleman rested his starters. I think there's a chance the Kings pull off an upset in SA tonight because of these factors.

That said, it obviously would help the Mavs cause in trying to hold on to any hope for the #1 seed, but it could also make it any even tougher game going into SA on Friday. The Spurs have been extremely tough at home, only losing 4 times all season, so it's unlikely they drop two in a row at home.

It might sound crazy, but do we pull for the Spurs to win or lose tonight? The obvious answer is lose, but I'm not so sure I want to go into SA after they're sitting on a rare home loss. My feelings are mixed.

Last edited by island_dude; 04-05-2006 at 06:17 PM.
island_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by island_dude
Even though the Spurs beat the Jazz last night it was pretty much a battle to the end. They were cruising at one point, up by 24 points, then the Jazz came back to cut the lead to as low as 5 in the fourth quarter.

This could be key, in that the Spurs weren't able to rest their starters in the fourth quarter, and have to play the Kings tonight at home in a back to back. The Kings should be plenty pissed off after the spanking they got last night, plus when the game was out of hand Adleman rested his starters. I think there's a chance the Kings pull off an upset in SA tonight because of these factors.

That said, it obviously would help the Mavs cause in trying to hold on to any hope for the #1 seed, but it could also make it any even tougher game going into SA on Friday. The Spurs have been extremely tough at home, only losing 4 times all season, so it's unlikely they drop two in a row at home.

It might sound crazy, but do we pull for the Spurs to win or lose tonight? The obvious answer is lose, but I'm not so sure I want to go into SA after they're sitting on a rare home loss. My feelings are mixed.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:47 PM   #3
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

I agree with the Dude. any times the spurs play a game, I hope they lose
Old 04-05-2006, 07:51 PM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

The Kings are up 13 and there have 4 technicals called. Both coaches along with Duncan and Artest.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley
The Kings are up 13 and there have 4 technicals called. Both coaches along with Duncan and Artest.
Wow duncan with a technical...must have pissed off little TIMMAH

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 04-05-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:32 PM   #6
DirkGoesNuclear

DirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

DirkGoesNuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:52 PM   #7
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Beat the Spu@s up on FRIDAY put TD into retirement....
Old 04-05-2006, 10:17 PM   #8
wescx

wescx will become famous soon enoughwescx will become famous soon enough

Man, I can't wait for the game on Friday.

Although, even if we win we would still need SA to lose two more times and the Mavs would have to sweep to get the 1 seed.

Regardless, should be a great game.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:19 PM   #9
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

lets beat these bitches!(spurs)
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #10
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

I doubt one more loss would cause SA's "wheels to fall off" but you just never know. Anything is possible, the Mavs need a win in SA on Friday, and then winning the #1 seed falls squarely on the Spu#s shoulders. They would have to protect their 1 game cushion and not lose two games. Again, I feel very confident that even with a game lead on Dallas they will be able to get in the clubhouse, still it'd make every game count for them, and that's how it should be...
Old 04-05-2006, 11:17 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

No, but if they lose on Friday, they could very easily lose their next game as well. Plus, they'll have a tough game against Utah coming up soon on the back end of a back to back.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:26 PM   #12
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Anyway you look at it its a must win for the Mavericks. In order to have a chance at homecourt its a must win and hell just winning the game is important. It would be a huge confidence boost knowing you took the last meeting between both teams. Losing 3 straight to the Spurs would hurt.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:16 AM   #13
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to imagine the Spurs lose 3 of their las 7 games but anything is possible. What a big game on Friday. I can't wait. It's going to be fun.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:51 AM   #14
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

game of the year people...lets just hope Dirk can put Bowen in his place early....

I say just go to the JET Dirk Pick and roll early...make Parker work for it....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 04-06-2006 at 12:54 AM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:19 AM   #15
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

At this point, the Southwest is San Antonio's division to lose, and I seriously doubt they will lose it. That being said, the Mavs are going to administer an indescribable beatdown on Friday.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:43 AM   #16
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Sure we want to win this one, just for getting a confidence boost. We need to know that we can win against them, in their house no less.

As to the No. 1 seed however, looking at the remaining games, I like the idea of playing the Clippers, cause we have two games left to check them out. They won't surprise us in the first round, and the better team wins (that is us, of course).

If we win both of the remaining games against them, however, they could drop behind Memphis, which then is maybe not so good...

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:45 AM   #17
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

none of the first round opponants scare me...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:59 AM   #18
greensborohill

greensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the rough

As the Iron Sheik once said about Brian Blair. . .

"Put 'em in the Camel Clutch, break their back, **** them in the ***, and make them humble!!"
Old 04-06-2006, 09:01 AM   #19
island_dude

Maybe I'm wrong, but as I see it, the Spurs would only have to lose twice for the Mavs to have a chance at the #1 seed.

If they win Friday then the season series would be tied 2-2, and the Spurs would only have a 1 game lead. If Dallas wins out, and the Spurs lose one more divisional game then they would be tied with the same record, but the Mavs would win the next tie breaker based on having a better dvisional record. I'm pretty sure the second tie breaker is based on divisional record before conference record.

The Mavs only have one divisional game left, and the spurs have two. It's probably abit of a stretch to expect them to run the table given how tough the remainder of the schedule is, but a possibility.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:24 AM   #20
island_dude

Default Tie Breaker Format

Two-Team Tie-breaker
1. Better record in head-to-head games
2. Higher winning percentage within division (if teams are in the same division)
3. Higher winning percentage in conference games
4. Higher winning percentage against playoff teams in own conference
5. Higher winning percentage against playoff teams in opposite conference
6. Higher point differential between points scored and points allowed

http://www.nba.com/spurs/tickets/playoff_info_2005.html
Old 04-06-2006, 11:09 AM   #21
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong, but as I see it, the Spurs would only have to lose twice for the Mavs to have a chance at the #1 seed.

If they win Friday then the season series would be tied 2-2, and the Spurs would only have a 1 game lead. If Dallas wins out, and the Spurs lose one more divisional game then they would be tied with the same record, but the Mavs would win the next tie breaker based on having a better dvisional record. I'm pretty sure the second tie breaker is based on divisional record before conference record.

The Mavs only have one divisional game left, and the spurs have two. It's probably abit of a stretch to expect them to run the table given how tough the remainder of the schedule is, but a possibility.
You're right, it's still possible, but considering there's only 7 games left, it's definitely a stretch. Assuming we win tomorrow, the Spurs would have to lose against either Memphis or New Orleans. If they don't lose to one of those teams, then they'd have to lose two more games, and we'd have to go undefeated. I'm definitely not counting on any of those things to happen.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:23 AM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the Spurs do have a back to back still...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:43 AM   #23
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

LOL

no one has the balls to start the GDT for the Spurs game...

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:33 AM   #24
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

A high-stakes game

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

SAN ANTONIO -- Suddenly the anti-big game is, well, a big game again.

San Antonio's stunning home loss Wednesday to Sacramento transformed a game that wasn't likely to affect the playoff picture into one that could decide the Western Conference's No. 1 seed.

Just like that.

This isn't the media creating some artificial buildup for a rivalry game. And this isn't about just making a statement if and when the Mavs (56-19) and Spurs (58-17) meet in the second round.

Home-court advantage in the West may be locked up tonight at the AT&T Center. And if it's not, the final six games of the regular season are going to be fun to watch.

So is this a big game again?

"Tell me a game that's not important," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich deadpanned. "I'll just answer it that way. There's a reason why every game is important."

Popovich's counterpart, fresh from two days off after two blowout wins, chose to focus internally when gauging the showdown's magnitude.

"It's a big game because we were in a little rut for a minute, and we're still trying to work ourselves out," said Mavs coach Avery Johnson, referring to last week's three-game losing streak. "We're all disappointed by that little stretch that we went through, even though it was beneficial."

As for the Spurs, who hold a 2-1 series lead and beat the Mavs 98-89 last month in San Antonio, Johnson hopes for a better showing.

"I want us to go down there and play much more aggressive than we did the last game," he said. "We were a little bit on our heels, and we didn't play Mavericks basketball for a long stretch of the game."

What was a three-game lead a couple of days ago for San Antonio in the Southwest Division could be down to one if the Mavs escape the Alamo City with a victory.

It would also serve as the first step in a potential tiebreaker falling in the Mavs' favor. A Mavs win knots the season series at 2-2, with the division record serving as the next tiebreaker. The Mavs would be 12-3 in the Southwest Division, while San Antonio drops to 11-3.

Should the Spurs win -- and they haven't lost consecutive home games this season -- their lead would be back to three games. Factor in the head-to-head tiebreaker (3-1) and it's essentially a four-game lead with six to play.

That wraps up the West. And the fourth seed for the Mavs.

"If we're still looking to get the home-court advantage, we can't drop this and go back down three," Mavs forward Dirk Nowitzki said. "Then it's pretty much over."

When San Antonio fell 97-87 to a Kings team that was walloped the previous night at American Airlines Center, it opened up a door most thought closed after the Mavs' recent skid.

But it also gives San Antonio added incentive. Incentive that might not have been there if the Spurs still had that three-game cushion.

"When I look at the team we play next, I'd rather see them win before we play them," Dirk Nowitzki said. "Just so they feel good about themselves, because when they lose, especially San Antonio at home, they lose so few games at home, you know they're going to come out ready to play."

The Spurs aren't strangers to big buildups. Just about every game for the defending champs is someone's statement game.

But the Mavs could be a little different. Though they've never caught the Spurs, the Mavs have been San Antonio's closest division pursuer the last six years.

These are the only two teams in the league to win at least 50 games each season over that period. The Spurs are 350-135 (.722) since the start of the 2000-01 season. The Mavs are 336-149 (.693).

"It is going to be a great chance for them to gain ground," San Antonio guard Manu Ginobili said. "It will be a nice atmosphere here. We will be looking forward to that game."

Many people are.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:07 PM   #25
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Any chance Pop plays Dirk straight up to avoid giving the Mavs another opportunity to work against his gimmick defense before the playoffs?
Old 04-07-2006, 12:31 PM   #26
sp3nc3r13

sp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
Any chance Pop plays Dirk straight up to avoid giving the Mavs another opportunity to work against his gimmick defense before the playoffs?
Never thought about it like that. I think he will try as hard to get his team to win as possible. He doesn't want that 1st seed slipping away.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:51 PM   #27
101 6 7

101 6 7 will become famous soon enough101 6 7 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp3nc3r13
Never thought about it like that. I think he will try as hard to get his team to win as possible. He doesn't want that 1st seed slipping away.
Pop has never put much emphasis on seeding; and this season especially, has constantly stated that his main goal was to enter the post-season peaking and HEALTHY.

The Spurs just played their probably 1st round opponent on Wednesday; and when up 5 in the 1st quarter, Pop pulled ALL BUT 1 STARTER. The Spurs didn't go back to anything resembling a normal rotation until the start of the 3rd quarter, at which point they were trailing by 18 points. Pop played that game like a pre-season game (when the Spurs were 1-8); no doubt taking notes about matchups, what works, what doesn't - basically giving the Spurs great film to watch for the 1st game of the playoffs, while not showing their own hand AT ALL.

Tonight the Spurs play the team they will most likely meet in the 2nd round of the playoffs...

I truly expect the Mavs to finish with the higher score.
101 6 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:04 PM   #28
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

His players have expressed they think HCA will be huge, though.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:16 PM   #29
101 6 7

101 6 7 will become famous soon enough101 6 7 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70
His players have expressed they think HCA will be huge, though.
When?
101 6 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:50 PM   #30
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101 6 7
When?
A few times. I remember Parker saying it right after the ASG.

As for Pop, if all he cares about is getting his team healthy for the playoffs why didn't he sit Duncan back in December or January? Two or three weeks of rest won't do much for his condition but two or three months would have. I doubt they'd have fallen out of the playoffs and he could have brought back a refreshed Duncan in April.

Also, why bring Ginobli back from the second ankle sprain so fast? If I recall, he only missed two games and he hasn't been the same since. I think Spurs fans tend to take Pop too seriously when he makes those comments. Of course he wants his team healty...he also wants home court.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:54 PM   #31
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101 6 7
Pop has never put much emphasis on seeding; and this season especially, has constantly stated that his main goal was to enter the post-season peaking and HEALTHY.

The Spurs just played their probably 1st round opponent on Wednesday; and when up 5 in the 1st quarter, Pop pulled ALL BUT 1 STARTER. The Spurs didn't go back to anything resembling a normal rotation until the start of the 3rd quarter, at which point they were trailing by 18 points. Pop played that game like a pre-season game (when the Spurs were 1-8); no doubt taking notes about matchups, what works, what doesn't - basically giving the Spurs great film to watch for the 1st game of the playoffs, while not showing their own hand AT ALL.

Tonight the Spurs play the team they will most likely meet in the 2nd round of the playoffs...

I truly expect the Mavs to finish with the higher score.
Hey, listen. For all the talk about Pop being God's gift to coaching, he's lost four of the last six seasons when he arguably has had the best talent base in the league. I'm no so sure I'd be taking his word as gospel if I were you.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:56 PM   #32
dude1394
Guru

That's insane. Sure popovich is more concerned about health than seeding but he's not an idiot. He obviously wants a #1 seeding for HCA as well as playing the number 8 team.

That's spin brotha'.