Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold
Default Who do you want to win the Lottery?

As the draft lottery approaches next week I would like to throw out a post to see if anyone else has thought about this. There is a clear-cut best player available. I don't think Davis is LeBron good, but I think the talent gap between him and the next few players is simlar to the Blake Griffin and John Wall drafts.

Who do you want to get the Kentucky big man? He would instantly bring great defense and progressing offense. He could top out at Tyson Chandler (with far more blocking ability) or (if he develops a 15-20 foot jumper) he could make a run towards a KG type without the passing ability.

Of course if the Net get him it is a disaster for us. If I were Deron I'd stay with the Nets if I knew that I'd be getting Davis or possibly turning him into Dwight in July.

THE TEAMS
1. Charlotte Bobcats - 250 combinations, 25.0% chance of receiving the #1 pick
2. Washington Wizards - 199 combinations, 19.9% chance
3. Cleveland Cavaliers - 138 combinations, 13.8% chance
4. New Orleans Hornets - 137 combinations, 13.7% chance
5. Sacramento Kings - 76 combinations, 7.6% chance
6. Portland Trail Blazers (via NJ) - 75 combinations, 7.5% chance
7. Golden State Warriors - 36 combinations, 3.6% chance
8. Toronto Raptors - 35 combinations, 3.5% chance
9. Detroit Pistons - 17 combinations, 1.7% chance
10. New Orleans Hornets (via Min) - 11 combinations, 1.1% chance
11. Portland Trail Blazers - 8 combinations, 0.8% chance
12. Milwaukee Bucks - 7 combinations, 0.7% chance
13. Phoenix Suns - 6 combinations, 0.6% chance
14. Houston Rockets - 5 combinations, 0.5% chance

My 2 favorites with at least a 3% chance -
Cleveland - I'd love to see a Kyrie/Davis combo plus Thompson/Varejao. Those would be some great pieces for a franchise that was nearly declared dead following "the decision"
New Orleans - This is mostly because I was a season ticket holder 07-09. I'm pretty sure Gordon will be back. He could play power forward alongside Emeka for a few years and develop his offense. They have another lottery pick so it would be a young four of Gordon, David, Aminu and the #10

Last edited by Scott McGuire; 05-25-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Scott McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Agree on Cleveland.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Charlotte. I don't want anybody to get scary. Irving/Thompson/Davis sounds like it could be scary in a few years. DJ Augustin/Gerald Henderson/Davis does not.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Charlotte. I don't want anybody to get scary. Irving/Thompson/Davis sounds like it could be scary in a few years. DJ Augustin/Gerald Henderson/Davis does not.
It could be scary, but they'd be in the Eastern conference. I just like Kyrie and him plus Davis is way better than a potential Wall/Davis combo in Washington. Him going to Charlotte would be a bummer for him and every NBA fan except the dozen or so Bobcat fans. I feel like rookie contract would be a prison sentence.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Scott McGuire

Maybe an just an NBA junkie, but I think this is a very interesting topic getting no discussion on here. No one cares where Anthony Davis is going? This is like a lottery happening this Wednesday awarding one of 14 possible teams a consensus star like Blake Griffin. Wouldn't that be exciting? A team is about to get a superstar via a game of chance.

I'd try and join a high volume board like dallasbasketball.com, but they have whole threads with dozens of comments from their best posters without anyone mentioning that the entire idea displays no understanding of basic CBA rules. Or they read a little and don't seem to understand it.

In fact my favorite current one called "Backloaded Jeremy Lin Deal" http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=268&f=2144&t=901708

The premise of this 30(!) comment thread is that you can use the the Gilbert Arenas rule to our advantage by offering Lin a 5/5/10/12 4 year deal and the cap hit on the first year would only be 5. This is incorrect. The cap hit for the team offering him said package would simply be the total contract divided by the years. In this case it would be 8 million a year (32mill/4years). The cap hit for us in said deal would be 8 million every year for all 4 years. He would still get paid 5/5/10/12. If NY matched the cap hit for each year would reflect actual salary.

The thing that makes it crazy no one has brought this up is "true irony". They think there is an advantage in the first year cap space hit because of the Gilbert Arenas rule. In fact, it is a disadvantage. If we could offer Lin a regular raise 4 year deal totaling 32 million the cap hit on the first year would actually be less than 7 million. Since we have to fit it into the Gilbert Arenas contract offer the contract would take up more of our current cap space than a similar contract offer to a player who wasn't protected by the Gilbert Arenas rule.

Now I'm done and I think 3 people will read this.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not fully sold on this Davis kid.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I'm not fully sold on this Davis kid.
I'm not sold on him as a sure thing superstar.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 05-27-2012 at 04:09 PM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
I'm not sold on him as a sure thing superstar.
I'm not really sold on anyone being a superstar in this draft, but it is deep with potentials.

The 'Cats endured an awful season so I hope they get the #1.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:59 AM   #9
Scott McGuire

I respect all of your opinions on David, but I also respect the overwhelming NBA scout opinion on him too. He is the best bet to be a superstar in the draft. He is without a doubt a game changer defensively and on offense he has handles like a guard. He also shoots FT decently. Of course he COULD be a bust, but I doubt it.

Besides, I'm always interested leading up to the lottery. It could change the fortunes of one team by sheer statistical luck.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #10
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

1. Raptors (I am biased as this is my "second" team reason I say this is I am a huge fan of casey)
2. Wizards (I fully think Wall can be a very good player under the right circumstance a core of wall/nene/davis is good)
3. Bobcats: Their fans deserve something to root for
Old 05-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody but the Nets. Don't care much beyond that, although it would be nice to see the Bobcats get something after that atrocious year.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
Scott McGuire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Anybody but the Nets. Don't care much beyond that, although it would be nice to see the Bobcats get something after that atrocious year.
The fairness part of me agrees with you. The part of me who wanted to watch Wolves games before Rubio got hurt wants Cleve to win.

Charlotte was historically terrible. Those of us who followed the Mavs in 91-93 know what that's like.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Still crossing fingers that contraction is what they get.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #14
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

20 points lead. Jebus.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #15
Scott McGuire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Still crossing fingers that contraction is what they get.
I feel like that just won't happen. NBA teams don't get contracted…. they just relocate.

On another front….. The lottery is tonight!

Who will it be?

One team that could be killer if they won would be the Suns. Even with him they'd have 25 million in cap space with Gortat/Dudley/Frye/Brown. It is very very unlikely, but could happen. Nash might even resign there.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #16
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

What time is the lottery?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #17
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I believe 5-6 pacific time, I will be watching usa/brazil but will check twitter for updates.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #18
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

i want the cavs to win it. irving-davis will be a good combo for years. F lebron!!!
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #19
Scott McGuire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
It starts on ESPN at 8pm eastern before the Heat/Celtics game.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #20
Scott McGuire

I still can't believe people have said they aren't sold on Anthony Davis.

Dude will be crazy good.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #21
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McGuire View Post
I still can't believe people have said they aren't sold on Anthony Davis.

Dude will be crazy good.
Read some blog that claims 3 NBA coaches think he will be another KG.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote