Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-11-2021, 01:17 PM   #1
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of
Default Time to Address the elephant in the room (Luka)

We all love Luka but let's be honest with ourselves here I think dude is coasting right now

He's not bringing energy or passion to the game and the team follows his lead. When you look at Giannis that dude plays hard from start to finish.

Also, I'm curious as to why Luka never seems to be in the best of shape to start off the season.

Again we all love Luka but dude has got to start taking on a leadership role by example if not by voice.

https://www.sportscasting.com/jason-...annot-contend/

I asked Jason Kidd what he thought of Doncic's performance: "Luka was average tonight. We always expect him to be super-human." Went on to say average for Doncic is still very good, but Mavs didn't give Doncic enough help.
8:40 PM · Nov 10, 2021·Twitter Web App

Last edited by Dallas41; 11-11-2021 at 01:18 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2021, 01:22 PM   #2
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Also, I'm curious as to why Luka never seems to be in the best of shape to start off the season.
He was in shape this year, at least that's what everyone was saying. Could he put in more gym time, regardless? I would imagine yes, he could. I think he's a baller, not a gymer. ie, he's never put in that type of work before...just my guess.

As for 'slacking off', I think he's more trying to adjust to engaging his teammates more.

Last edited by BigDog63; 11-11-2021 at 01:23 PM.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 01:30 PM   #3
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
He was in shape this year, at least that's what everyone was saying. Could he put in more gym time, regardless? I would imagine yes, he could. I think he's a baller, not a gymer. ie, he's never put in that type of work before...just my guess.

As for 'slacking off', I think he's more trying to adjust to engaging his teammates more.
I think he's coasting right now....

I get it it's early but I just don't see that energy or passion. I know Giannis is more experienced but dude just plays hard every night regardless if it's game 1 or game 82.

I'm hoping Luka while he's still young will start to adapt that type of attitude
Old 11-11-2021, 01:57 PM   #4
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Everyone is coasting except Brunson who is playing well. Mavs looks directionless right now. They are scoring less points too.
Old 11-11-2021, 02:16 PM   #5
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2 View Post
Everyone is coasting except Brunson who is playing well. Mavs looks directionless right now. They are scoring less points too.
I think Kleber plays hard from start to finish

That's why they should consider moving both of them into the starting lineup
Old 11-11-2021, 02:48 PM   #6
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

When he is healthy. But injured Kleber like in the Clippers series is as useless as the rest of our centers right now. We all give grief to KP for his health, but it seems like Kleber is never healthy either. I mean, he strained his back dunking the freakin' ball.

We need to make a move to upgrade the position. I think you can get someone a little more serviceable than what we have right now.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:39 PM   #7
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2 View Post
Even though nobody likes him perhaps we should listen to what Haralabos is saying - basically Kidd has managed to destroy an elite level offense by having too many people crash the lane bringing defenders into the lane to obstruct Luka. The spacing is off and even when its not guys like DFS can't hit an open shot.

Last edited by Zeus; 11-11-2021 at 09:40 PM.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 10:42 PM   #8
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

We were tied for the 2nd best record in the league. We lost to a team that was tied with us for having the best record but was clearly the better team. Are we seriously going to panic? We have a new coaching staff. It's going to take time. It's not the time to panic.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:10 AM   #9
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
We were tied for the 2nd best record in the league. We lost to a team that was tied with us for having the best record but was clearly the better team. Are we seriously going to panic? We have a new coaching staff. It's going to take time. It's not the time to panic.
I don't think it's time to panic

But it might be time to be a bit concerned after you repeatedly fail vs teams with a winning record and each defeat is by double digits or more every game wouldn't you agree?

BTW I'm a Kidd fan but this roster or I should say the starting lineup IMO regardless of how much more time they give it just isn't going to work.

I don't think Powell is a starting Center and i don't think you can survive defensively with Powell, THJ, Luka and KP all playing significant minutes together new coaching or not....

Last edited by Dallas41; 11-12-2021 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:45 AM   #10
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

The real elephant is the fact that the Mavs fall in love with their own players to a serious detriment. That's why we have Luka and the B squad...again.

I mean, the Org literally lives in the past. They basically brought back the entire 2011 team to right the ship. Go to a game and you drown in nostalgia. Throwback warmups, throwback jerseys, etc. etc. etc.

And more concerning is reflecting on the Curry trade. The idea was sound, but the results weren't there. So what? You can't win every trade, and I'm afraid that move compounds this issue of falling in love with your own guys. Curry is doing great for the Sixers! What have we done?! Never again!

See I want a FO that is always looking to make the next move to improve the team even if it comes up short sometimes. Mavs simply don't do that. They were hesitant to give up Dwight Powell this summer. My god. And he is actually one of the only few payable options, but that is their own making. How do you have 5 centers and none of them are any good or are very flawed?

But as you can see with Luka's mehness that we don't have years to do something.

And this isn't a panic at all. I (and many fans) have been basically saying this for three years now.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 11-12-2021 at 01:46 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:33 AM   #11
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Luka is not playing as well as he has been previous seasons, but I'm not concerned about him. I think Maxi makes a sizeable difference on this squad. He lessens DPs mins and brings back the 3pt threat as well as solid defense and effort. His versatility is a huge boost in the lineup.

I want to see rotation and S5 experiments when he is back. The cluster F we see on high PnR is because DP isn't a threat to shoot. Keeping the switch honest isn't happening since defenders are making Powell prove it. With Maxi in, they have to make a decision and the mismatch or spacing is there as well as Maxi for an open look.

Bottom line is we need to part with a cpl guys in a trade to strengthen up our weaknesses regardless if Maxi is back or not. We are over reliant on average guys like Dfs, Bullock, DP, Willie. I'd rather not give up Brunson unless we are getting a 2 way creator who can get buckets. JB deserves to start tbh, and I wouldn't blame him at all if he decided to go elsewhere if we can't or won't offer that.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 11-12-2021 at 09:34 AM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:37 PM   #12
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
The real elephant is the fact that the Mavs fall in love with their own players to a serious detriment. That's why we have Luka and the B squad...again.

I mean, the Org literally lives in the past. They basically brought back the entire 2011 team to right the ship. Go to a game and you drown in nostalgia. Throwback warmups, throwback jerseys, etc. etc. etc.

And more concerning is reflecting on the Curry trade. The idea was sound, but the results weren't there. So what? You can't win every trade, and I'm afraid that move compounds this issue of falling in love with your own guys. Curry is doing great for the Sixers! What have we done?! Never again!

See I want a FO that is always looking to make the next move to improve the team even if it comes up short sometimes. Mavs simply don't do that. They were hesitant to give up Dwight Powell this summer. My god. And he is actually one of the only few payable options, but that is their own making. How do you have 5 centers and none of them are any good or are very flawed?

But as you can see with Luka's mehness that we don't have years to do something.

And this isn't a panic at all. I (and many fans) have been basically saying this for three years now.
Mark Cuban falls in love with his own players. He is too close relationship-wise to make cold, calculated decisions in the team's best interest imo.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:44 PM   #13
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

The out of shape thing is getting ridiculous. He played in the Olympics he didn’t go sit at home for months. Not to mention it was a very short offseason in general.

When Powell and DFS and Timmy are your starters for 3 years straight it starts to wear on you. I don’t think he wants to carry the team again.

Giannis has flat out playmakers all around him. It’s easy to bring it on an energy level every game when you’re surrounded by multiple players that can dribble lol

Last edited by Melonhead; 11-12-2021 at 08:46 PM.
Melonhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:49 PM   #14
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Playing the 25th hardest schedule will have you tied for 2nd in the first month of the season.

Btw every loss is from teams above .500 and none of them were close. All of the wins have been below .500.

Not time to panic because the team doesn’t really have high expectations
Old 11-12-2021, 11:49 PM   #15
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
I don't think it's time to panic

But it might be time to be a bit concerned after you repeatedly fail vs teams with a winning record and each defeat is by double digits or more every game wouldn't you agree?

BTW I'm a Kidd fan but this roster or I should say the starting lineup IMO regardless of how much more time they give it just isn't going to work.

I don't think Powell is a starting Center and i don't think you can survive defensively with Powell, THJ, Luka and KP all playing significant minutes together new coaching or not....
I agree with you in regards to Powell. He's not going to be the player he was developing into before his injury. That's disappointing because I was finally enjoying watching him play.

Let's discuss which starting lineups work.

1. EVERY lineup will have Luka Doncic. That's a given.
2. When healthy, Kristaps Porzingis will be a starter as well. This is also a given.
3. No other player should be guaranteed a starting role. Yes, that means THJ, DFS, etc. None of them should be guaranteed a starting spot.

Problem with starting Jalen Brunson is that both Brunson and Luka need the ball. They are both ball handlers. That won't work.

Looking at the roster, we're lacking anyone with any real size. I want that. The best option for our starting lineup has to be Maxi Kleber. Next I am a strong believer of having a strong bench. I'd love to see Jalen Brunson play with both Tim Hardaway Jr and Dorian Finney-Smith.

Call me crazy. I want to see Ntilikina and Bullock start with Luka, KP, and Maxi.
Old 11-13-2021, 03:20 PM   #16
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
I agree with you in regards to Powell. He's not going to be the player he was developing into before his injury. That's disappointing because I was finally enjoying watching him play.

Let's discuss which starting lineups work.

1. EVERY lineup will have Luka Doncic. That's a given.

2. When healthy, Kristaps Porzingis will be a starter as well. This is also a given.

3. No other player should be guaranteed a starting role. Yes, that means THJ, DFS, etc. None of them should be guaranteed a starting spot.

Problem with starting Jalen Brunson is that both Brunson and Luka need the ball. They are both ball handlers. That won't work.

Looking at the roster, we're lacking anyone with any real size. I want that. The best option for our starting lineup has to be Maxi Kleber. Next I am a strong believer of having a strong bench. I'd love to see Jalen Brunson play with both Tim Hardaway Jr and Dorian Finney-Smith.

Call me crazy. I want to see Ntilikina and Bullock start with Luka, KP, and Maxi.
Powell wasn't developing into much when healthy. I've been leaning in this direction for a while, but the Mavs are slow. Hopefully, they will catch on before the ASB. Personally, I don't see it happening. Hell, several of us have been complaining about Powell for 3+ years now, and only now are others finally catching on.

Last edited by turin; 11-13-2021 at 03:24 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:51 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Would be nice to have an elite shooter…
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:46 AM   #18
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Would be nice to have an elite shooter…
Give me a creator all day. Shooters can slump. We have 4 guys who are supposed to be shooting nearly 40% on 3s....but Maxi is the only one who is.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:47 AM   #19
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
The out of shape thing is getting ridiculous. He played in the Olympics he didn’t go sit at home for months. Not to mention it was a very short offseason in general.

When Powell and DFS and Timmy are your starters for 3 years straight it starts to wear on you. I don’t think he wants to carry the team again.

Giannis has flat out playmakers all around him. It’s easy to bring it on an energy level every game when you’re surrounded by multiple players that can dribble lol
Giannis/ Bucks are 6-7. We've at least been winning. They've had players out, and we have too.

Last edited by SMC0007; 11-14-2021 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-14-2021, 12:44 PM   #20
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Giannis/ Bucks are 6-7. We've at least been winning. They've had players out, and we have too.
The Bucks are coming off a nba championship. Somehow I feel they’ll be fine.
Old 11-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #21
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
The Bucks are coming off a nba championship. Somehow I feel they’ll be fine.
That was last year. Old news. Lol.

I agree they are gonna be fine, though i don't think they repeat. I'm just saying, being 4 games over .500 is the head start you need when you have new coaches, cpl new players, lack offensive consistency and guys not playing to previous levels. It would have been easy to be 5-7 right now.

Old 12-08-2021, 10:32 AM   #22
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Here we are in year 4 and they (local/National media) are still roasting Luka about his weight

I know over the years many on here have stated he's still young so he has time to figure it out. Guys like Giannis came into the league young and figured it out right away you have to take care of your body.

Last edited by Dallas41; 12-08-2021 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:43 AM   #23
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Here we are in year 4 and they (local/National media) are still roasting Luka about his weight

I now over years many on here have stated he's still young so he has time to figure it out. Guys like Giannis came into the league young and figured it out right away you have to take care of your body.
Everybody is different. Giannis was a toothpick when he came into the league, and had to beef up.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:10 AM   #24
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Everybody is different. Giannis was a toothpick when he came into the league, and had to beef up.
yeah but Luka reported to camp this year weighing 260 lb's

30 lb's heavier
Old 12-11-2021, 04:55 AM   #25
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
yeah but Luka reported to camp this year weighing 260 lb's

30 lb's heavier
What I find more alarming that I could swear he put on weight in the last couple of weeks. Or am I crazy? I mean, obviously he dropped weight during training camp, but I think he put some of that back recently. It's very-very possible to gain weight even during the season, while playing, it has been done before. It's all about the diet (mostly).
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 03:22 PM   #26
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Kleber plays hard but lets be honest here - he and his teammates are not very good at basketball. We are depending on Luka to be superhuman as in playoff Luka with 40 point triple doubles but even then it isn't enough because our FO is garbage. Luka is fat right now and not at peak of his game but he is not the reason our mother fucking open shooters that he consistently hits with brilliant passes cant fucking hit a shot.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote