Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default Brooklyn Nets

Broussard has the Nets as a top 4 seed in the Eastern conference. I have Miami, Boston, Chicago being significant better and Philly, Indiana being marginally better. I think the Nets are there with the Knicks in terms of overall talent.

Personally, I don't see that they've improved significantly even with the addition of Joe Johnson. Watson isn't much of an upgrade over Farmar, and you still have the rest of the crap that didn't manage to win many games last season intact. In addition, Avery is still their coach and I don't expect him to be able to creatively utilize the players on that team.

I think a good over/under line for wins this season for the Nets is 41. Thoughts?
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange View Post
Broussard has the Nets as a top 4 seed in the Eastern conference. I have Miami, Boston, Chicago being significant better and Philly, Indiana being marginally better. I think the Nets are there with the Knicks in terms of overall talent.

Personally, I don't see that they've improved significantly even with the addition of Joe Johnson. Watson isn't much of an upgrade over Farmar, and you still have the rest of the crap that didn't manage to win many games last season intact. In addition, Avery is still their coach and I don't expect him to be able to creatively utilize the players on that team.

I think a good over/under line for wins this season for the Nets is 41. Thoughts?
Sounds about right: .333 record + Joe Johnson = .500 record

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
davblue

davblue is a jewel in the roughdavblue is a jewel in the roughdavblue is a jewel in the roughdavblue is a jewel in the rough

I don't see Chicago being significantly better given the Rose injury and the pieces they've lost this offseason. But due credit to Thibs if he can manage a top 4 seed with that roster.

I see the Nets on par with Philly and Indiana (maybe a little better) and far off Miami/Boston.
davblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously, the best way to improve your roster is to dole out obscene raises to the guys that already play for you.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Obviously, the best way to improve your roster is to dole out obscene raises to the guys that already play for you.
Or in the case of Lopez, guys that barely play for you...

Last edited by Underdog; 07-25-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
davblue

davblue is a jewel in the roughdavblue is a jewel in the roughdavblue is a jewel in the roughdavblue is a jewel in the rough

Can't forget the part where you trade away a lottery pick so you can do the aforementioned overpaying of guys that already play for you.
davblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Or in the case of Lopez, guys that barely play for you...
I'm skeeeeeerrred...
Old 07-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I look forward to Kaman absolutely demolishing Lopez in our first game in Brooklyn.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I'm going against the grain a bit, but health is the only reason I can see that the Nets wouldn't be significantly better this year than last. Yes, 4 of their 5 starters are returning players, but only Deron and Humphries played significant minutes for them last year. Of course, Brook's foot is something of a question mark at present, but for however long they can play it, I'd expect their lineup with their best five guys to be formidable, and certainly up to the standard of a top-4 seed in the East. It's depth (if not Brook's foot) that's likely to be their achilles, and finishing 6th is probably at least as likely as finishing 4th for them.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have to remember that they're essentially adding Brook Lopez and Gerald Wallace as well. Wallace was there for roughly a fourth of the season, and Lopez played all of five games.

I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't win 45 games, and I wouldn't be shocked at all to see them win 50+. And Chicago is going to play almost the entire season without Rose, and have lost Asik and Ronnie Brewer, so I'm not sure they're a lock to finish ahead of the Nets.

I think the Nets are going to look pretty damn good for stretches this season, but they're not going to be able to defend anyone and have basically no shot of ever being a true title contender as currently constructed.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 07-25-2012 at 12:50 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I'd pencil them in at 5 or 6, which isnt terrible at all-- I just think they got themselves into an Atlanta Hawks situation where they will be a decent playoff team that never has a hope of being a top 3 seed and no chance of making the finals. I can see them making the playoffs for our consecutive years, but like the Hawks, always going out in the first or second round.

There are just a handful of teams that will always be better and they also have very little room to improve with all their long term contracts and an even less friendly CBA which will make teams less likely to take big/long contracts off their hands if things don't go well. I congratulate them on building a playoff team. I just think they turned themselves into the new Hawks in the process. Teams like the Heat can tap out with two superstars and a star and watch decent free agents come to them. Other than being in Brooklyn, I don't see why any free agent would choose a mediocre Nets team over the Heat or Celtics.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-25-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

4th is about right. 50-55 wins, 2nd round exit.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I think you have to remember that they're essentially adding Brook Lopez and Gerald Wallace as well. Wallace was there for roughly a fourth of the season, and Lopez played all of five games.

I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't win 45 games, and I wouldn't be shocked at all to see them win 50+. And Chicago is going to play almost the entire season without Rose, and have lost Asik and Ronnie Brewer, so I'm not sure they're a lock to finish ahead of the Nets.

I think the Nets are going to look pretty damn good for stretches this season, but they're not going to be able to defend anyone and have basically no shot of ever being a true title contender as currently constructed.
I would be shocked if they won more than 50 games this season. Johnson and Wallace, while nice players in a vacuum aren't capable of making any of the teams they've played on better. Lopez and Hump are complete trash for completely different reasons.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange View Post
I would be shocked if they won more than 50 games this season. Johnson and Wallace, while nice players in a vacuum aren't capable of making any of the teams they've played on better. Lopez and Hump are complete trash for completely different reasons.
I think you're underrating Johnson. He's overpaid, but he's a good player. A legitimate all star player.

Lopez being "trash" seems overly strong. I'm not a huge fan, but the guy can score, and he'll score even better with this team around him.

And I think people (maybe not you, I don't know) have forgotten how good Deron Williams is over the past two years.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #15
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Lopez being "trash" seems overly strong.
Which word would you use for a center who can't rebound?

Last edited by Underdog; 07-25-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #16
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There's more than rebounding to take account of, though. Lopez might be trash as a rebounder and a defender, but he's a very capable offensive player. And you have to consider the way the pieces fit together, too. Rebounding is a major strength for both Wallace and Humphries, so on balance I think the Nets will probably do just fine rebounding the ball when their go-to lineup is out there.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #17
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Last year

Nets that rebounded better than Lopez
Green
Humphreys
Wallace
Gaines
Emmett
J. Williams
She. Williams
Sha. Williams
Brooks
James
Petro
Okur
Owens
Smith
Bogans
Horner

Nets that rebounded worse (only 3)
Deshawn Stevenson
D. Williams
Owens

Mavs better than Lopez
Dirk
Carter
Wright
Williams
Kidd
Marion
Beaubois
Mahinmi
Haywood
Dojo
Odom
Cardinal
Yi

Mavs worse than Lopez
Terry
West

Admittedly he was injured through most of last season and only played five games before getting injured again but to be a worse rebounder as a % than Roddy, Dojo, Kidd and other guards when you are a 7-footer (now with a max contract) is simply pathetic. In the previous year he was only slightly better at a per36 rate and rebound rating-- still losing out to a lot of guys including many SGs and SFs.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-25-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #18
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Nets that rebounded better than Lopez
Green
Humphreys
Wallace
Gaines
Emmett
J. Williams
She. Williams
Sha. Williams
Brooks
James
Petro
Okur
Owens
Smith
Bogans
Horner
I don't even know who half those people are.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #19
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
I don't even know who half those people are.

Exactly.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-25-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #20
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Let's not forget to factor in that Avery is just terrible as a coach. How in the world did Lopez' rebounding numbers drop by 50% in just two seasons? I fully expected him to be a 20/10 candidate during the 10-11 season.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #21
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Let's not forget to factor in that Avery is just terrible as a coach. How in the world did Lopez' rebounding numbers drop by 50% in just two seasons? I fully expected him to be a 20/10 candidate during the 10-11 season.
Slow start dooms Avery.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #22
Spurred1

Spurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to all

Lopez was injured for most of last year, but prior to that, he already seemed to be regressing. He was very solid when he first started, but then seemed to hit some sort of wall. He could bounce back this year-we'll see.
Hump isn't trash-he was married to trash. He's a good rebounder and is capable of scoring. He does tend to take bad shots a bit too often and attempt to take over sometimes, but other than that, he's a good role player.
Wallace is often injured. His style of playing is effective, but it leads to injury as well. He's a question mark.
Johnson is very good, but way overpaid. He'll help out the Nets, but I doubt it will be enough to contend for anything.The Hawks were good while he was there; he had a nice supporting cast and they didn't really get anywhere.
The Nets will be better than they were in previous years-how could they not improve, if everyone stays healthy? But they still won't win anything unless the Heat or Celtics suffer some serious setbacks. They'll improve though and that may be enough for them right now.
Spurred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #23
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Nets will be a 3 or 4 seed if healthy.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #24
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurred1 View Post
Lopez was injured for most of last year, but prior to that, he already seemed to be regressing. He was very solid when he first started, but then seemed to hit some sort of wall. He could bounce back this year-we'll see.
Hump isn't trash-he was married to trash. He's a good rebounder and is capable of scoring. He does tend to take bad shots a bit too often and attempt to take over sometimes, but other than that, he's a good role player.
Wallace is often injured. His style of playing is effective, but it leads to injury as well. He's a question mark.
Johnson is very good, but way overpaid. He'll help out the Nets, but I doubt it will be enough to contend for anything.The Hawks were good while he was there; he had a nice supporting cast and they didn't really get anywhere.
The Nets will be better than they were in previous years-how could they not improve, if everyone stays healthy? But they still won't win anything unless the Heat or Celtics suffer some serious setbacks. They'll improve though and that may be enough for them right now.
Lopez and Hump are a good match at the 4-5 spots. Hump's rebounding and toughness matches Lopez's finesse offensively. This team is going to ride DWill to the ground. Wallace needs a setup, can't create for himself.

Side note, articles hitting the web, Phelps was the #2 swimmer in the nation at the age of 10. #1 at that age was Humphries......