Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-13-2002, 01:37 AM   #1
Super Mav

Super Mav is on a distinguished road

Lebron James is a stud and will be the ultimate stud in years to come...after seeing his game on espn2 tonight i was just wondering for fun: would you trade dirk for Lebron James or a combo of Fin and Nash for James? once again just for fun. in my opinion james is gonna take it a step above jordan.

go mavs!
Super Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2002, 02:44 AM   #2
Super Slow Mo

Super Slow Mo is on a distinguished road

hell no to either deal, the 3 mavs have played like allstars in the nba, hes doing it in high school, which is a BIG DIFFERENCE. hell, i dont know if he could even do what hes doing in college. he is shooting alot, and has no J. didnt see alot of D either. big difference between his comp in high school and what it will be in the nba. i dont think the kid will live up to expectations placed upon him, but thats my opinion. hes not in dirk, fin, or nashs class right now though, that i know.
Super Slow Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 03:19 AM   #3
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

Didn`t see him play so far, as I live in Germany...but isn`t the great Lebron James a high-school baller?? To trade any of the prooven Mavs` All-Stars for a high-school player is just pure gamble and would probably destroy all hopes of getting some rings in the next years to come...and THAT doesn`t even include the question, if we traded for MJ II or just a great talent or something in between...sure he looks good, if his competition is 16-18-years-old...
digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 06:05 AM   #4
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

A step above MJ?only because he broke the rim at some High School Bball?!
no to either deal,we already agreed,its not about the roster,the three has some sort of special chemistry,messin with it could'nt do good.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 06:27 AM   #5
Super Mav

Super Mav is on a distinguished road

yea a step above mj...why not? the dude is 6"7 and weighs 230 and is only 17!!! by the time hes 21 hell be a 7 footer with added musle and nba experience to run right through the competion. his handles are amazing, he dishes out unbelievable passes, he rebounds and the bounce in his step creates alot of space between him and his defender and gets him up the court within like 5 strides! hes gonna be monster when he gains experience in the nba. this guy is for real! hes gonna be unstoppable when he hits his peak say at about 26 -28 yrs of age. this dudes potential is huge! i mean mega huge!
Super Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 07:55 AM   #6
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Super..it's way too much hype for me.

Saw Bron play on espn2 last nigtht , then switched to Hawks game and it was like nightand day. Bron looks great against slower, shorter high school guys but pros are bigger, faster and stronger...Don't buy into today's hype. He is not better than MJ. That's just ridiculous.

Repeat this thread in a couple of years when the hype has died down.

Note: I found it galling that Espn didn't even mention the others on the court. Romeo Travis looked great, too.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:07 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I want yall to watch uot for Romeo Travis he might just sneak up on some. There is a difference from being able to dominate against 5'5-6 foot players then dominating in teh NBA when everyone is your size. I don't care if he does become the next big thing I still don't do it. I was dissapointed last nite becuase I did not see the next MJ out there.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 04:38 PM   #8
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

I woudn´t like to see another "Drama Queen" in the NBA. One is enough.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:11 PM   #9
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

LeBron would be a great small forward to have on this team -- if he was about 3 years OLDER by this point.

He's young enough to be Dirk's running buddy for some prime years but not Nash & Fin. I don't trade the big three for anybody in the L right now short of Duncan, maybe McGrady or Shaq. Shaq's just a maybe because of health.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 05:32 PM   #10
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

<< yea a step above mj...why not? the dude is 6&quot;7 and weighs 230 and is only 17!!! by the time hes 21 hell be a 7 footer with added musle >>

yeah, but he could also be 6'7 300lbs. who really knows. I do know he would offer pretty dunks for his first couple of years(EX:TMAC) but that's it. then he might blossom into a stud, but Dallas would never trade any of the big 3 to get him, and throw away a chance to get to the finals now, not later.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:34 PM   #11
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

You are nuts! Dirk is a proven superstar and a cornerstone player Dr. Jack Ramsay has said that he is his MVP so far. Lebron made some nice passes against highschool players! There will be no next jordan what if Lebron flops! Why? This team doesn't need any more swingmen anyway stop smokin the grass!
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 02:27 AM   #12
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

Don't praise King James just yet
By Charley Rosen
Special to Page 2

Editor's Note: Page 2 asked Charley Rosen, a longtime coach and scout in professional basketball, to watch LeBron James on Thursday night and give us a scouting report on the 17-year-old phenom. He filed the following report.

I don't know which aggravates me more: our crass, soulless, sporting-life culture, or the airhead kids who are at the same time its beneficiaries and its victims? Like LeBron James, the 17-year-old schoolboy phenom whom so many NBA pundits have already crowned as the Air Apparent.

OK, so James is going to be the NBA top draft pick come June, but he already refers to himself in the royal-third-person (&quot;LeBron stays humble by just being LeBron&quot. And he also refers to himself as a &quot;superhero&quot; and as &quot;Basketball Man.&quot; And even worse, after he dunks over an opponent, he's liable to shout &quot;King James!&quot; or &quot;You sorry!&quot;

Here comes another narcissistic young man who has been conditioned to believe that celebrity equals money equals power. Admire his talent, but pity his lost youth and forfeited innocence.

Yeah, LeBron can dunk, but where's the jumper?
OK, his St. Vincent-St. Mary team &quot;upset&quot; the No. 1-ranked high school team in the country, Oak Hill Academy. And James's numbers were impressive -- 31 points, 13 rebounds, and six assists. While he certainly showed an abundance of sheer talent, he also demonstrated that he still has much to learn.

At 6-foot-8, 235 pounds, he can have his way among his peers along the baseline and in the pivot, but in the NBA, James will need to be an effective shooter. The problem here is that his release is a tad too low. Also that he fades slightly when he shoots his jumper. The result is that he holds onto the ball too long and will have some trouble shooting in tight quarters.

And what about his poor shooting percentage (40 percent)? He didn't make a jumper until later in the third quarter and then celebrated by banging his fist into his chest. He repeated this foolish routine when he connected on his only other jumper early in the fourth quarter. (The chest beating is supposed to demonstrate how much heart he has.) However, I didn't see any celebration when he arrogantly waved his teammates out of his way and launched an airball.

Let's review some of his buckets that roused the fans (and the TV announcers) into a frenzy:

Midway into the first quarter, James doesn't bother to get back on defense, and when a teammate makes a nifty steal and a pass downcourt, our hero finds himself ahead of the field and executes an dramatic dunk. How about another slam that resulted from an offensive rebound falling into his hands without a defender within reach? Or the layup off a perfect lob pass when he was fronted down low by a much smaller defender?

Is all the media attention going to James' head? Stay tuned.
Big deal!

Yes, James has good hands, quick feet, extraordinary hops, and a lively body. Yes, he's also an outstanding passer. But his defense is atrocious.

His basic defensive stance is much too upright.

When defending a perimeter player, his hands are in his pockets.

When his team tried a full-court press, one of Oak Hill's guards absolutely left him in the dust.

He always looks for the easy way out, making perfunctory swipes at the ball, and gambling on every entry pass.

His transition from offense to defense is shameful. Instead of hustling downcourt, he lingers near the ball, hoping for a steal.

He always looks for the easy way out, making perfunctory swipes at the ball, and gambling on every entry pass. His transition from offense to defense is shameful. Instead of hustling downcourt, he lingers near the ball, hoping for a steal. His post-up defense offers less resistance than a soft summer's breeze.

His post-up defense offers less resistance than a soft summer's breeze.

In short, LeBron James can't guard his own shadow.

What other shortcomings did the young hoopling reveal?

A barely adequate left hand.

A shaky behind-the-back dribble going left to right.

What's the one talent he possesses that will survive his entry into the NBA? His court vision and his ability to pass the ball.

In high school, LeBron James might be a man among boys -- but in the NBA, he'll be a boy among men. Skilled, experienced, powerful, and above all, ruthless men.

After the media hysteria dies down, after his arrogance is reduced to real humility, he might very well develop into a franchise player. But let's not reserve a wing in the Hall of Fame for LeBron James just yet.

Charley Rosen, a former coach in the Continental Basketball Association, has been intimately involved with basketball for the better part of five decades -- as a writer, a player, a coach and a passionate fan.

link
Old 12-14-2002, 02:38 AM   #13
digit

sorry, for posting that article, didn`t see Fidel posting it already in the NBA action...I think, this thread should move over there as well...
Old 12-14-2002, 02:55 PM   #14
j.dilly

j.dilly is on a distinguished road

You people forget that Lebron has worked out with NBA players, the Cavs, and was said to have played quite well against them.

Like to run? Fast? www.dyestat.com
j.dilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 04:25 PM   #15
BiteMeVescey

BiteMeVescey is on a distinguished road

Let's remember Charley Rosen was a never was coach, and is the same idiot who declared that Dirk wasn't that good a few weeks ago. If he hasn't been to a high school game lately he should know that the type of talk he heard is par for the course. Every time he writes I keep thinking of the bitter crabby old man down the street. Now, I'm not saying James will be all that, but for those who keep saying that he's just doing it against HS players, remember that Oak Hill's starting 5 is D1 bound, and has sent numerous players to the pro's.

BTW as for trading him, the answer is no.