Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-24-2004, 02:11 AM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ron Artest: Why was I left off the Olympic team?

Artest: Why was I left out?

BY ERIK BOLAND
STAFF WRITER

August 24, 2004

Ron Artest was not so bold as to say things would be different if he were in Greece, just that he'd love to be there.

He's more than a little irritated that no one asked him to be.

"I was the [NBA] Defensive Player of the Year and didn't get an invite," the Pacers forward said. "It's frustrating not to have gotten a phone call."

Artest spoke yesterday at Park Avenue Country Club in Manhattan, promoting the 12th annual All-Star Classic, which benefits Wheelchair Charities. The game will be played Sept. 15 at Alumni Hall, where Artest played for St. John's.

Even before the Olympics started, USA Basketball received criticism for its selection process. It produced a team with poor outside shooting, defensive liabilities and a lackadaisical attitude. The 6-7 Artest said he has watched the Olympics on television and can understand why fans have been turned off.

"I think fans are upset because of what they see as a lack of effort," Artest said. "Although I don't think it's that the U.S. isn't playing hard, I think the other teams are playing hard, too."

Perhaps more galling to fans, and to Artest, is the idea that the Olympics have become meaningless to NBA stars and with that, the Dream Team concept has been eviscerated. Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett all passed on the opportunity to be in the Olympics.

"I was one of the guys who wanted to be there," Artest said. "Look, so many guys turned it down. After all the top guys, there's room for me.

"I don't know what it was. All I know is it's something that only comes along every four years and I would have liked to have been part of it. I'd have been the water boy or the manager or whatever. I wanted to go."

Copyright © 2004, Newsday, Inc.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:23 AM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Ron Artest: Why was I left off the Olympic team?

the guy is crazy.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 10:36 AM   #3
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

There is definitely room for Ron Artest. What is team USA's biggest problem perimeter defense they got torched by Lithiuania. Artest could definitely help.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 10:39 AM   #4
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Team USA is a collection of stars without the necessary roleplayers. Artest is a wacko, however he is also one of the premier roleplayers in the NBA. Team USA certainly could have used a few more roleplayers.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:17 AM   #5
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Ron Artest: Why was I left off the Olympic team?

i agree with him completely. why was he not even called? a guy that actually wants to be there, and could actually help the team (think that Lithuania PG would have been raining 3s if artest was on him? especially with the stuff you can get away with in international ball?). plus, he can hit an outside shot.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:24 AM   #6
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

Artest might be crazy... But he has a good point. He would have helped the team a lot, and he obviously was dying to go.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:32 AM   #7
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

that nut ball would have played some D at least!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:37 AM   #8
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I agree. Why was he left off of the team? Not only him but why was Michael Redd left off? Was Billups even asked? What happen to Finley having a spot on the team?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:42 AM   #9
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

Im not so sure that Billups would be a great fit. I want the USA to have a pass first PG. Kidd would be great but he turned it down. Nash would be nice but he is canadian. I guess that Bibby/Cassel would have been good options... they could also hit the 3. Take out jefferson, put in Redd. Take out Melo, Put in Finley/Barry. Take out Amare, put in Artest. Take out Marbury, Put in bibby/cassel. That is a team that would win the gold.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:18 PM   #10
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Artest would certainly been better than Carmelo Anthony to send to the Olympics.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:22 PM   #11
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Artest would certainly been better than Carmelo Anthony to send to the Olympics.
or possibly have the team.....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:23 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the better question is why wasn't Finley awarded a spot?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:11 PM   #13
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

They have all stars, no true PG's and barely any perimeter talent on this year's team. I'd take Artest over Jefferson or Stoudemire any day of the week.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote