Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-30-2004, 11:33 PM   #1
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default WE CLINCHED (beware: not pleasant for Yanks haters)

Bernie's blast clinches AL East
Yankees win seventh straight division title
By Mark Feinsand / MLB.com

Own the game
• Get AL East champs gear

NEW YORK -- Seven. One hundred. Eleven.
Those numbers each represent something important for the Yankees, who wrapped up the American League East title on Thursday night with a 6-4 win over the Minnesota Twins.

Seven: The number of consecutive division crowns won by the Bronx Bombers.

One hundred: The number of wins for New York this season, the third year in a row in which the Yankees have reached the century mark.

Eleven: The number of postseason wins required in the coming weeks for New York to capture its 27th World Series title.

Bernie Williams clinched the division crown with a two-run walk-off home run against Aaron Fultz, sending the crowd of 48,454 into a frenzy.

Joe Torre's team has now advanced to the postseason in each of his nine years as manager, topping the 100-win mark four times. By winning 100 in three straight seasons, the Yankees join the 1929-31 Philadelphia A's, the 1969-71 Baltimore Orioles and the 1997-99 Atlanta Braves as the only teams to accomplish the feat.

"It all goes for naught unless you go to the World Series," said Torre. "You can look back, statistically, in years to come and say it was a nice thing, but unless we go above and beyond, it's not as sweet."

Although New York had clinched a spot in the postseason last week, winning the division was a cause for celebration for the Yankees.

"We start in February, and you have to take time out to breathe in and out," Torre said. "You have to congratulate yourself, acknowledge that you did something you should be proud of and then move on to phase two. You can't stay wound so tight continuously. You have to take time to celebrate what you've accomplished."

Augie Ojeda singled in a run in the second to give the Twins an early lead, and Torii Hunter added to it in the third, belting a solo homer off Javier Vazquez to make it 2-0.

The Yankees bounced back in the fourth, as Twins starter Brad Radke walked Hideki Matsui before allowing three consecutive singles to Williams, Jorge Posada and John Olerud, the last two each driving in runs to tie the game.

Vazquez retired nine in a row following Hunter's home run, but he was victimized yet again by the long ball in the sixth. This time it was Justin Morneau, who ripped an 0-1 pitch over the right-field wall, putting the Twins ahead by a run.

Vazquez has now allowed 33 home runs this season, fifth most in the American League.

Radke left the game after five innings, allowing two runs on six hits and two walks, striking out two.

Olerud drove in his second run of the game in the sixth, tying it up with a solo shot against J.C. Romero. The homer was Olerud's ninth of the season, his fourth with New York.

Minnesota regained the lead in the seventh on Henry Blanco's RBI double down the left-field line. Vazquez left with two outs in the inning, as Felix Heredia got the final out of the inning. Vazquez was charged with four runs in 6 2/3 innings, allowing seven hits and one walk, striking out four.

Matsui squared the game again in the seventh, leading off the inning with a blast into the right-field bleachers against Grant Balfour. The home run, Matsui's 31st, gave the Yankees a season total of 240, tying them with the 1961 team for the most in franchise history.

Tanyon Sturtze and Tom Gordon threw a scoreless inning each, carrying the tie game into the bottom of the ninth. That's when Williams ended it with his one-out walk-off blast, putting a dramatic stamp on the victory, setting the new record for the team with its 241st homer.

New York will begin its quest for a 27th championship on Tuesday in the Bronx, hosting either the Twins, the Oakland A's or the Anaheim Angels in Game 1 of the AL Division Series.

Mark Feinsand is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Old 09-30-2004, 11:43 PM   #2
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: WE CLINCHED (beware: not pleasant for Yanks haters)

Oh how I hate the Yankees...
Old 10-01-2004, 12:34 AM   #3
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Best team money can buy.

Did'nt help last year vs. the Marlins....won't help this year either.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:22 AM   #4
Chiwas
Guru

You both won't spoil my mood.

Neither the Marlins. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2004, 10:06 AM   #5
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

the yanks suck more than 1,200 Hoovers....I be hatin' them

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 01:17 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

When George is writing checks for the next non-champion team I will laugh my ass off.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 12:50 PM   #7
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough
Default RE:WE CLINCHED (beware: not pleasant for Yanks haters)

Quote:
When George is writing checks for the next non-champion team I will laugh my ass off.
Well, atleast George is writing checks for a division champion and a playoff team.

Tom Hicks cant say he's doing that right now, can he? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2004, 02:24 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

The yanks will fail. You heard it here first.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:59 PM   #9
NYCdog

Quote:
The yanks will fail. You heard it here first.
You know, I could choose to be classless here and throw out a little shot of my own like.....

"The Rangers will not make the playoffs"

But instead, I think I will do the classy thing and send my congrats to all the baseball fans state of Texas on them having one team come back from the dead to make it to postseason play and the other prove all the doubters and naysayers wrong when they lost their best player to us. For baseball fans in the State of Texas, it was a wonderful season. Hopefully there will be many more for you guys.

And I will say this, there are only two teams that concern me right now. Both of them are on fire currently and will have huge momentum as the enter the playoffs. As illustrated in the past two seasons by the 02' Angels and the 03' Marlins, momentum sometimes can be the biggest edge for a team. It looks like we will face Minny in the first round so the first team that concerns me will take out our rivals for us or get taken out by the Sox instead. The second team that concerns me is in the National League, and its not the Cardinals. Its that team that came back form the dead to clinch a few minutes ago. Being that that team will face a weaker Braves club and smoked the Cards in 6 out of the last 7 games, its a good bet that we might see them come World Series time.

The Yankees best possible route to the championship is one that includes stops in Boston followed by either St Louis, Atlanta or LA.

The Yankees worst nightmare scenario to the title is the complete opposite.....Anaheim in the ALCS followed by Houston in the Series.

With the way those two teams are playing, I feel they are the only ones who can beat us. There playing with momentum, heart, and desire. Sometimes, I feel this Yankee club lacks that. And if we run into either one of these clubs, just like the last two seasons, we will get beat. Everyone else is childs play.

Old 10-04-2004, 11:22 AM   #10
Drbio
Banned

No reason to think class is involved. There is no shot being taken there at all. Just facts. The yankees will not win the championship. Period. You heard it right here.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:09 PM   #11
NYCdog

Quote:
Just facts.

The yankees will not win the championship. Period. You heard it right here.
Drbio, that is not a fact.

That is your opinion.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:54 AM   #12
Drbio
Banned

You will soon see it is a fact. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2004, 12:23 AM   #13
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

What was that I saw the Yankees clinching tonight? Their ankles perhaps?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:45 AM   #14
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Oh how I loved watching that game... Where are you now Chiwas??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2004, 05:14 PM   #15
Chiwas
Guru

Hidden, miserably with my head into the ground.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:21 PM   #16
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Don't feel bad, I dont even think the mighty Cardinals' offense could touch Santana!!! Too bad you will have to face him AT LEAST once more...

Better hope Radke gets torched!!!

Oh how I love it when NY loses!!!
Old 10-06-2004, 11:31 PM   #17
Chiwas
Guru

AAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHAAAAA!!!! !!!!

Alex Rodriguez is GREAT!

WOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Edit. EVEN UP. 1-1.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:53 AM   #18
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

That completely sucked... Its a shame they tried to stretch Nathan for 3 innings... He was a starter a while back, but he just didnt have the arm tonight to go 3... Hell he was getting slightly erratic during his second inning...

It was at least a great game to watch!

The next two are in Minnesota though, so the series could be concluded without ever returning to Yankee Stadium!!!
Old 10-07-2004, 10:25 AM   #19
Chiwas
Guru

Old 10-07-2004, 10:10 PM   #20
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Yankee Stadium is the place where anything can happen.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 11:07 PM   #21
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

MIN-NYY

2:8 down

based loaded

no one out

can they come back?

3:8

4:8

bye bye

(what a relieve for chiwas...)

Old 10-08-2004, 11:14 PM   #22
Chiwas
Guru

Piece of cake.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:49 AM   #23
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Just for the sake of baseball, I actually hope NY beats Minnesota just so Boston can knock the f'n Yankees out of the playoffs... Did I mention that I hate NY???
Old 10-09-2004, 06:57 AM   #24
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Male23Dan
Just for the sake of baseball, I actually hope NY beats Minnesota just so Boston can knock the f'n Yankees out of the playoffs... Did I mention that I hate NY???
I woke up this morning with the same thought. I can't imagine anything better than another BoSox/Yankees ALCS. However, I think I'm a bit more ambivalent about the outcome than you are Dan. It would be fun to see the Yankees lose to Boston, but I know I'd also derive some satisfaction from watching the Fenway fans cry in their beers after yet another devastating loss.

It's a win-win situation for me.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 10-09-2004, 05:58 PM   #25
Chiwas
Guru

Old 10-09-2004, 07:51 PM   #26
twelli
Diamond Member

Chiwas en vivo...

GO GODZILLA!!!! (Matsui, that is...)

Old 10-09-2004, 08:46 PM   #27
Chiwas
Guru

Garnett's twins bit the dust.

NEXT!
Old 10-09-2004, 09:54 PM   #28
mary
Troll Hunter

Chiwas, I didn't watch the game - can you tell me why Santana was yanked so early?

How do you yank the favored Cy Young winner in the fifth inning after he's only allowed 1 run and you're up 4?????

Could Santana really do no better than 87 pitches in a game which if you lose, you go home??

Old 10-10-2004, 10:51 AM   #29
Chiwas
Guru

I don't know, mary, he was struggling too much with the batters I suppose.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:52 AM   #30
Chiwas
Guru

Old 10-10-2004, 04:25 PM   #31
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: mary
Quote:
Originally posted by: Male23Dan
I woke up this morning with the same thought. I can't imagine anything better than another BoSox/Yankees ALCS. However, I think I'm a bit more ambivalent about the outcome than you are Dan. It would be fun to see the Yankees lose to Boston, but I know I'd also derive some satisfaction from watching the Fenway fans cry in their beers after yet another devastating loss.

It's a win-win situation for me.

LOL! I was thinking the same thing.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:25 PM   #32
Chiwas
Guru

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2004, 09:58 PM   #33
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
It is official. My ass fell off. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2004, 10:01 PM   #34
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

HILARIOUS!!!!

THANKS DOC!!!
Old 10-20-2004, 10:57 PM   #35
Chiwas
Guru

OFF TOPIC!
Old 10-20-2004, 10:59 PM   #36
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Do you really want us to get on topic!!! Either way, it is really, REALLY bad for YOU!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2004, 11:03 PM   #37
Chiwas
Guru

"Who's your Daddy?" [img]i/expressions/musicnote.gif[/img]

At least we still can sing it to Pedro.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:14 PM   #38
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

That was amazing... It proves that thousands of dumb Yankee fans can say something other than "Fugeddaboudit"!!!
Old 10-21-2004, 12:02 AM   #39
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: NYCdog
Quote:
Just facts.

The yankees will not win the championship. Period. You heard it right here.
Drbio, that is not a fact.

That is your opinion.
The dog was wrong and the doc was right.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 12:11 AM   #40
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Damn skippy!!! This mutt was all over the facts!!!