Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2004, 10:32 PM   #1
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Two Great Boxers Need To Call It A Career

I want to see more fights of future hall of fame boxers Roy Jones Jr. and Oscar De La Hoya on television. Not on HBO, but ESPN Classic. Not on Payperview but some historical matehces they have had in the past.

The time has come for both men to walk away from the sweet science. I've seen Jones get pummeled in his last two matches. Jones was knocked out in each bout. No TKOs, but brutal knockouts.

Antonio Tarver dusted Jones in two rounds May 15. Jones claimed he was beaten on a lucky punch. Sorry, Roy, you got whipped by a fellow Floridian.

Instead of taking on Tarver for a third time, Jones decided to climb in the ring with journeyman Gelncoffe Johnson. Jones was knocked out again less than two weeks ago on HBO. Jones' head violently hit the canvas after an overhand right from Johnson. After the fight, Jones had to be convinced to go to a Memphis hospital to be treated for a concussion.

Roy, get out of the ring. You are done. You've had a great career, now go enjoy life. After each loss, you are constantly telling us you aren't having fun anymore, so call it a brilliant career with a 49-3 record.

Jones has earned more than $60 million in his ring career. At 35, Jones should stop fighting so he can count his money in his old age. The last thing we need to see is another former champion slurring his words. The fight game is cruel. The longer you stay, the more you pay ... with your mind and body.

The Golden Boy was last seen being counted out on the canvas at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in September. Bernard "The Executioner" Hopkins showed Oscar De La Hoya he wasn't ready to handle the best middleweight in the world. Hopkins sent De La Hoya down with two body shots in the ninth round.

Back in 1998, De La Hoya used to tell others at his training camp in Big Bear, Calif., that he would retire from boxing by the time he was 30. He is 31 now and has lost four of his past 10 bouts.

Oscar, let me holler at you for a second: Hit the exit door! You've made $200 million. You own Golden Boy Productions. You are a legend. Your 37-4 record proves that. Leave the game before you end up blind and brain damaged like Gerald McClellan did in 1995 after a rough fight with Nigel Benn.

I truly believe a fighter is not the same man after he has made millions of dollars. Wealth changes everyone.

Jones and De La Hoya became superstars in a sport that is truly an occupational hazard. You can't be any good fighting for paydays, either. Mike Tyson is Exhibit A for proof of that.

Fellas take the money, the fame and the legendary status you have and quit. I'll catch your greatness on ESPN Classic.