Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 11-15-2004, 10:11 AM   #1
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about
Default BREAKING NEWS: Powell Resigns

For what it's worth, I've always respected Powell and the job he did... I think we all saw this coming, but so abruptly?

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell has submitted his resignation to President Bush, a senior administration official told CNN.

Powell told his senior staff that he planned to stay on until a replacement was confirmed, State Department officials said.

State Department officials told CNN that Bush and Powell decided mutually that it was time for him to go.

Rumors have swirled about Powell's role in a second Bush administration, but neither the president nor the secretary had spoken publicly about his future.

Last week, when asked if he wanted Powell to stay on to oversee the Mideast peace process Bush told reporters: "I'm proud of my secretary of state. He's done a heck of a good job."

Powell told reporters that he had had several conversations with the president, but would not comment on what they said.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2004, 10:16 AM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE:BREAKING NEWS: Powell Resigns

I knew this was coming I guess as Powell said he was a one term guy. I really respect him and hope that he emerges in the Party soon. He is a guy that I really hope remains at the forefront of US politics. I would love to vote for him as a President one day.

Powell/Guilianni would be my dream ticket as of today.

I wish him nothing but the best and thank him for his service to the United States of America.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:17 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Default RE: BREAKING NEWS: Powell Resigns

There will be four resignations annouced today according to repub sources (drudge).
Old 11-15-2004, 10:18 AM   #4
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Powell just doesn't seem all that enthused about public life. I betcha that in 2008 he's playing some serious golf.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:20 AM   #5
Drbio
Banned

I hope not. The man has a serious love for this country and is well respected by basically everyone that he has ever met. I think he would be an amazing President.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:48 AM   #6
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Why does this man get a pass by all the Bush critics? He had arguably the most incompetent four years of anyone in the cabinet this side of George Tenet. Our diplomacy over the past four years has been... well, less than to be desired. I love the man, but I don't doubt that many others, including Condi Rice, could have done a better job.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:07 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

I respect him for his service, his extremely above average intelligence, and his willingness to put country ahead of self. Although our diplomatic policies may have left a little to be desired by some, I think he worked under direction and did what he was asked. The guy oozes America from every pore. Colin Powell is a true American hero imho.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:42 PM   #8
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Can't argue with that. Powell is a great, great man. Hopefully he has a little more public service left in him.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 02:18 PM   #9
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

I'll answer up as the presumed "Bush critic" who is giving Powell a "pass":

I always thought Powell to be much more moderate than Bush – someone who did what he could within the confines of his duties and responsibilities to force Bush to be more patient and diplomatic in the Middle East (particularly Iraq). The end result, of course, wasn't what he had hoped for, but I admire his tenacity in giving it his all to do what he thought right.

I still think Bush's decision to invade Iraq without awaiting UN approval is the underlying schism that ultimately forced Powell's resignation...
Old 11-15-2004, 02:24 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: sturm und drang

I still think Bush's decision to invade Iraq without awaiting UN approval is the underlying schism that ultimately forced Powell's resignation...
Then so be it...
I suppose we'd still be sitting patiently waiting if we were waiting UN approval.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 06:50 PM   #11
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

I would vote for a Rudy/Powell ticket in a second but it just won't happen. Besides the fact that middle america, a republican strong-hold, won't be too excited voting for a pro-life, pro-gay rights, pro-gun control canidiate. Their is a large part of our population that would not vote for a African-American #2, not just Republicans, alot of Democracts too. I hope that i'm wrong but this country just isn't ready for that yet, their are still too many people who grew up in the 60s who that think blacks are inherently less intelligent then white people, and that they are only good for raping, playing basketball and robbing banks. Maybe in a decade or two when those type of people start dying off and 90s Generation, a generation that is obviously more educated and open-minded on race issues start going to the polls, we might have a change.
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 09:18 PM   #12
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Lvubun1
I would vote for a Rudy/Powell ticket in a second but it just won't happen. Besides the fact that middle america, a republican strong-hold, won't be too excited voting for a pro-life, pro-gay rights, pro-gun control canidiate. Their is a large part of our population that would not vote for a African-American #2, not just Republicans, alot of Democracts too. I hope that i'm wrong but this country just isn't ready for that yet, their are still too many people who grew up in the 60s who that think blacks are inherently less intelligent then white people, and that they are only good for raping, playing basketball and robbing banks. Maybe in a decade or two when those type of people start dying off and 90s Generation, a generation that is obviously more educated and open-minded on race issues start going to the polls, we might have a change.
I think you might be correct that Giuliani and Powell would be a ticket that would stretch the Republican platform in terms of policy, and would not appeal geographically to as large a swath of the country as other pairings.

I think you're mistaken with the rest of your suppositions.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote