Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Where is your loyalty?
Dirk 42 30.00%
Mavs 63 45.00%
I'm a pansy, I can't decide, and I like them both. 35 25.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2010, 11:55 PM   #1
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all
Default Are you a Dirk or Mavs fan?

Just curious who is a Mavs fan because of Dirk and who is a Dirk fan because of the Mavs. Personally, I would "go with" him if he got traded. It would be nice to seem him surrounded by more NBA-caliber athletes and less veteran jumpshooters. I did live in Dallas for Dirk's first few years, but I'm definitely a Mavs fan because of him (and Nash).

Last edited by pkdumas; 04-04-2010 at 12:04 AM.
pkdumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I root for the laundry. Because of my geographic circumstances. Like a real fan.

That Dirk is here makes it that much better. So very much better.

If he left, would I like to see him do well? Sure. (If he were with a team I don't hate. Which is a small list.)
Old 04-04-2010, 12:08 AM   #3
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
I root for the laundry. Because of my geographic circumstances. Like a real fan.

That Dirk is here makes it that much better. So very much better.

If he left, would I like to see him do well? Sure. (If he were with a team I don't hate. Which is a small list.)
I appreciate what you're saying, especially if you live in Dallas, but I personally save my "laundry" loyalty for college sports. NBA... it's a business, so I like to pull for something I can emotionally invest in (I do always start with underdogs). I was a Sonics fan in throughout the 90s. Mavs fan for the last ten years. We'll see where this goes...

Last edited by pkdumas; 04-04-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #4
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

The litmus test is if Dirk left today, joined your least favorite team today tomorrow and then played the Mavericks the day after, who would you root for?

Dirk is my favorite athlete of all-time but I'm a team guy.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:11 AM   #5
pkdumas
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
The litmus test is if Dirk left today, joined your least favorite team today tomorrow and then played the Mavericks the day after, who would you root for?

Dirk is my favorite athlete of all-time but I'm a team guy.
It would be tough to see Dirk give up like Pau did and join the establishment. But it would be cool to see Dirk take a young team with potential over the top.

Last edited by pkdumas; 04-04-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:26 AM   #6
aurelino9

aurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to all

Kidd fan first, Dallas fan second.
aurelino9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:40 AM   #7
Mavs Maniac

Mavs Maniac has a spectacular aura aboutMavs Maniac has a spectacular aura about

I'm a Dirk fan BECAUSE I am a Mavs Fan!
Mavs Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:49 AM   #8
jcm28

jcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to all

I became a Mavs fan because of Dirk, but i'll keep being a Mavs fan and keep reading this forum even if he leaves/retire.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:12 AM   #9
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Tough call. My genes are that of a Brazilian Soccer fan: I cannot deny the team. Sure, Dirk is the reason I watch at all in the first place........ but I"ll still be Mavs fan forever. I hope he retires a Mav and remains involved in some capacity with the organization, although he doesn't seem like that type that would. Dirk is awesome.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:07 AM   #10
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

I love Dirk, but I watched the Mavs for a long time before Dirk got here and will watch them for a long time after he leaves.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:19 AM   #11
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Ive been a Mavs fan for 8 years and Dirk's been a constant during these 8 years. If Dirk was traded in the 2nd year I would've still remained a Mavs fan and perhaps wouldn't have had as great an appreciation for Dirk as I do, now if Dirk was traded or retired I would still be a Mavs fan but I can't say there wouldn't be an emotional withdrawal from the franchise. I feel like this is just natural. If Dirk was traded to another team I would definitely have a rooting interest in that team as well. I wanna see the Mavs win a championship but would feel great joy to watch Dirk win a title as well, even if in a different uniform.

I don't think this makes me a bad or bandwagon fan, I really do (somewhat irrationally) feel pain when the Mavs lose and joy when the Mavs win. I really do root for them and try to watch every minute I can. Isn't that what being a fan is?

Last edited by ghazi; 04-04-2010 at 05:19 AM.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #12
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I'll gladly lead the pansy contingent.

This is like one of those "What would you do if you were walking down a dark alley and someone jumped out and pulled a gun on you?"...or "You're walking along, and your husband and your dog are both drowning, but you can only save one of them" type deals.

I'll just have to wait and see when it happens, but I find it highly unlikely that I would be able to turn my fandome off for either one of them.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 04-04-2010 at 08:11 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Are there really that many people on this site that didn't root for the Mavs before Dirk was here?

Wow.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 04-04-2010 at 08:32 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #14
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Are there really that many people on this site that didn't root for the Mavs before Dirk was here?

Wow.
It's been a whole decade. If you are in your twenties, then that is a significant portion of your life. IOW, maybe you are old.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm kinda with Mary on this one. I was a Mavs fan long before Dirk came along. However, if he were traded, I would instant become a huge fan of whatever team he was on. Yes, the Mavs would still be my favorite but only by a thin margin.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #16
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I was completely out on the nba after watching snack/barkley use their considerable butts to foul defenders while they backed 'em down. Cubes/dirk/little stevie brought me back into being a mavs fan (good grief it's become an obsession).

However if dirk left tommorrow and it was his team winning a championship versus the mavs, I'd pick dirk to get it. I would also be surprised if I continued to have such an obsession about it, maybe I could finally get on with my life.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #17
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
It's been a whole decade. If you are in your twenties, then that is a significant portion of your life. IOW, maybe you are old.
Nope. I'm in my twenties.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #18
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

For me, it's a matter of emotional investment.
It's easy to know that I'm a Mavs fan because if Dirk has a bad game or 2 or 3, then "eh, oh well, he'll do better soon." If the Mavs have a bad game or 2 or 3, then I'm ticked of to no end, and my days are not only ruined, but get progressively worse until they play well again. Same on the other side. If Dirk has a great game or 2 or 3, then "woo hoo. I love watching that guy play," but when the Mavs a good game or 2 or 3, then everything is right in the world.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #19
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Nope. I'm in my twenties.
Were you rooting for the Mavs when you were that young, or were you including yourself in your "are there really. . ." post above?
Old 04-04-2010, 08:48 AM   #20
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
Were you rooting for the Mavs when you were that young, or were you including yourself in your "are there really. . ." post above?
My obsession with the Mavs began with Kidd's rookie year and hasn't slowed down one bit since.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #21
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

i'm a kentucky fan who started rooting for the mavs because they drafted jamal mashburn, that's when i first started watching the nba, and the mavs have always been and will always be my favorite team.
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #22
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a David Stern fan...

Where's the option to vote for him?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #23
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

My fandom with basketball started with Bird. I wasn't a fan of the Mavs in the 80's. But in the early 90's (when Larry retired) I quit watching the Celtics... and started watching the Mavs. And it was partly Kidd. But it was the young talent that really got me hooked. Guys like Tony Dumas, Donald Hodge, etc.

Been watching them ever since.

Of course, Dirk became my favorite player after the "dunk." The moment that he had officially arrived.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #24
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I was a Mavs fan before Dirk and I'll be one after him. It's funny I remember going to the Mavs hoop camp when I was younger and Dirk attended one of our camps. I don't recall him speaking a lick of English. It was pretty nice to shoot around with him. Never imagined he would be the face of the franchise for years to come.

I'm a fan of Dirk the player but I wouldn't lose sleep over his departure. Finley and Nash were my favorite players to ever wear a Mavs uniform but I'm a Dallas fan first.

Last edited by Dtownsfinest; 04-04-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #25
Dirkules41

Dirkules41 is a jewel in the roughDirkules41 is a jewel in the roughDirkules41 is a jewel in the roughDirkules41 is a jewel in the roughDirkules41 is a jewel in the rough

Im a Dirk fan! Became a Mavs fan because of Dirk and I dont know what will happen if Dirk leaves the Mavs to another team! I just hope he will play for the Mavs until he retires!
Dirkules41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #26
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

I would still like Dirk...but I could never root for the Lakers even if he was on that team...for example.

The BIG 3 got me into the Mavs and been a fan ever since. There are other individual players that I am a fan off and if they are on teams I dont like I dont really root for them.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been a big Mavs fan since shortly before the arrival of the 3 J's...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #28
Dim499
Platinum Member

Dim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud of

I used to be a big NBA fan since I was single digits, started liking the Allen Houston, Starks, kneeless Ewing Knicks a little, always hated Detlef Schrempf like the plague. Never really had a team until Dirk came into the league and I got obsessed.

Thought about this quite a bit, but when he retires I will probably root for him to stay the best Mav ever and hope the Mavs never make the playoffs again to illustrate to Dallasites that they didn't know what they had til it was gone.
But more likely I'll stay attached to Roddy and company and still cheer for those guys until eternity. Who knows.
I really hope I will be able to stop following this crooked league when Dirk's gone. I kind of hate myself for it. Such a time waste. =)
Dim499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #29
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

This is crazy to me at first glance, meaning that 40%+ of this site would drop off or care about the Mavs signicantly less if Dirk retired or got traded. But I suppose this is what 10x50 preceding the worst sports franchise of the decade will do to a team's fanbase.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #30
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post

Anyway, I love Dirk and Nash/Dirk were the reasons I became a Mavs fans when I was about 13, but I'm a Mavericks fan through and through. I actually think I liked Nash more than Dirk before he left and now I despise him. I loved Devin Harris and I lost all emotional investment when he left.

I don't think we will ever see Dirk play for another team, but I hope he does very well if he decides to.... except against the Mavs.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 04-04-2010 at 01:21 PM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #31
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

This is why I think the "geographic circumstances" being all-important is bullsh*t. I hate the Blazers. I have ever since Sebonis and Grant left. Just because they are the closest team to me (even though its a different state) I have to like them/root for them? It's not like I'm switching from team to team. Ever since I joined this site 4 years ago (and lurked since about 2003) I have been on this site for an hour or more a day. I think about the Mavs constantly through each day. Every single game can affect the mood of my whole day. I live and breathe Mavericks basketball and it's the only team in professional sports that can move me so much. I will be a Mavericks fan until the day I die.

So I'm considered less of a fan than someone who lives 15 miles away from Dallas and watches maybe 10 or less games a year?

I'm not even sure why I'm arguing it because I know anyone lucky enough to live close to this awesome team will always toot this horn, but in the mean time I promise you I'll enjoy the highs and feel the lows just as much as anyone here.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 04-04-2010 at 01:22 PM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #32
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Dirk actually got me into watching the mavs and actually basketball in general. That 02-03 team was awesome, I remember it like it was yeaterday. Before that, I wasn't much of a sports fan to be honest. I was the typical soccer playing mexican kid lol.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #33
Dirkules41

Dirkules41 is a jewel in the roughDirkules41 is a jewel in the roughDirkules41 is a jewel in the roughDirkules41 is a jewel in the roughDirkules41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim499 View Post
Thought about this quite a bit, but when he retires I will probably root for him to stay the best Mav ever and hope the Mavs never make the playoffs again to illustrate to Dallasites that they didn't know what they had til it was gone.
Thought about that one too, would be hard to see someone taking Dirks rekords or winning a championschip with the Mavs if Dirk couldn't do it! I think there are few Mavs fans who dont know what the have in Dirk and make him responcible for losing or not winning titles!
Dirkules41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #34
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Oh and i would still root for the mavs if Dirk left. I'd still follow Dirk somewhat but I'm a mavs fan first then a Dirk fan.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #35
esoteric562

esoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to all

just like when nash left, i would still root for the mavs! but i would root for nash when he plays other teams lol.
esoteric562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #36
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Wow.
Well, I'm 16 and have been a Mavs fan since the age of 6... When I found out what a basketball was. But as for the older folk here that became fans when Dirk was here, I don't really blame them. I mean, who would want to root for the Dallas Clippers when you have the Dallas Cowboys? Seemed like unnecessary stress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzki4President View Post
Nowitzki4President is the greatest man to ever live!
Nowitzki4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #37
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

I started following the mavs at the end of the lockout year/ Dirk's rookie season. My favorite Mavs in order were Ceballos, Finley, Nowitzki.

It seems conceptually impossible for me to have one without the other.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #38
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Mark Cuban fan first and foremost. I assume I'll bolt outta here for the Cubs at some point.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 04-04-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #39
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Flaco is just insecure, f41. I think you're more involved with the Mavs than a lot of people in Dallas.

In some respects, it means more to maintain an outside allegiance in enemy territory.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #40
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

I grew up a Mavs fan...and have been fortunate to see Dirk spend his career in Dallas.

Hopefully, soon he can get his Championship with the Mavs...no doubt, that would make the old Karl Malone fans CRAZY!!!

Dirk with a better career than the "Mailman" ... of course without a title, the Mavs fall into the same category as the Utah Jazz...just another good team that simply couldn't close the deal.

Nothing would frustrate me more...in sports, than for a winning/non-title legacy!!!

Would I follow Dirk if he was traded?

Let's see, I currently dislike Steve Nash, Michael Finley, etc...so as far as I'm concerned, I'm a Mavs fan and when a player moves to another team for whatever reason, they become the enemy.

That's why I laughed with Emmitt Smith went to the Cardinals, and in the game he played against Dallas he finished with NEGATIVE YARDAGE!!! Felt sorry for him regarding the injury, but enjoyed seeing him SUCK it up against the Boys!!!

I'm a Team first type of fan!!!

That being said, I would hate to see Dirk go anywhere else, but if he did, and the Mavs were out of the playoffs, I would no doubt be rooting for Dirk to get his ring!!!

For the record, my fan days with the Mavs goes back to the mid 80's...yes, I remember Brad Davis the player, Rolando Blackman the player, Derek Harper the player...Mark Aguire, James Donaldson...and the frustrations of Roy Tarpley!!!

Before this 10 year run of the post-season, I was at Reunion for the last playoff series in which the Mavs Lost...and I remember the hope of the 3 J's...I was stationed in Germany during that time, and with the Glory of the Cowboys, I was talkin BIG smack when the 3 J's started off...the Mavs had a good run the first week or so...then things went to crap.

Then we move the past 10 years...it's been a fun ride and one that I greatly appreciate as a fan. They've brought us to the finals, and Dirk is the MVP of this organization...while no doubt Cuban has been beyond amazing as an owner. Saddly, they were not able to do what Jerry did with the Cowboys after that ownership transition...but perhaps the 2nd 10 years will be better than Jerry's 2nd 10?

Enjoy the ride friends...with or without Dirk...Team loyalty as a fan is more rewarding than bandwagoning with players!!!

Last edited by 92bDad; 04-04-2010 at 09:54 PM.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f' former sonics fans, false dialectic, thisthread f'ing blows