Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 07-10-2008, 11:06 PM   #41
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
What the hell?
Only for fun...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2008, 11:07 PM   #42
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmbwinn
Only for fun...
I guess. That's about the most racist thing I have ever seen.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #43
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
agreed. But, so is the Chris Rock routine...

humor only.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-10-2008, 11:14 PM   #44
jefelump

jefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to all

Quote:
But the guy making the statement is black, so it's OK.... if we go by today's standards (blacks can say the N word, but whites can't)

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

'Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,'
--Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .
jefelump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:17 PM   #45
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

offensive post deleted. Humor went too far.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:17 PM   #46
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefelump
But the guy making the statement is black, so it's OK.... if we go by today's standards (blacks can say the N word, but whites can't)
It has nothing at all to do with nigger as a word. It has everything to do with what people (of any race) expect of blacks.

Last edited by chumdawg; 07-10-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:22 PM   #47
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Quote:
It has nothing at all to do with nigger as a word. It has everything to do with what people (of any race) expect of blacks.
It is the stuff Chris Rock makes his millions with. Guess it wasn't as funny as Chris Rock...

deleted it.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:25 PM   #48
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
It is the stuff Chris Rock makes his millions with. Guess it wasn't as funny as Chris Rock...

deleted it.
Except we aren't discussing comedy.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:12 AM   #49
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

very, very tired of the o' woe is me I'm a victim mentality.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:13 AM   #50
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Quote:
Except we aren't discussing comedy.
BullS---!!!!

Everything about this thread is comedy directed at Obama AND McCain...
Old 07-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #51
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
very, very tired of the o' woe is me I'm a victim mentality.

frankly... I am damn tired of you pulling THIS card every time sobody ELSE metions race.

You are soooooooooooooooooooooooo much more obsessed with race than Obama seems to be, and 98% of his supporters as well.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:34 PM   #52
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
frankly... I am damn tired of you pulling THIS card every time sobody ELSE metions race.

You are soooooooooooooooooooooooo much more obsessed with race than Obama seems to be, and 98% of his supporters as well.
I am obsessed with the victim mentality, that is correct.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-14-2008, 07:14 PM   #53
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Wow. You know, this thread started off as a place to drop political jokes and funny one liners...

It was supposed to stay funny...

What happened to our ability to laugh at ourselves???
Old 07-15-2008, 08:04 AM   #54
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:
I am obsessed with the victim mentality, that is correct.
you certainly are..... to the point of being the victim. I am sure many feel your pain.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:34 AM   #55
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
you certainly are..... to the point of being the victim. I am sure many feel your pain.
As soon as I can become a victim as well, then all will be good.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #56
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As soon as I can become a victim as well, then all will be good.

You claim to be a victim of the Democrats DAILY!!!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #57
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog

You claim to be a victim of the Democrats DAILY!!!
We all are, that doesn't count.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:45 PM   #58
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Apparently there are a lot more than 7 words you can't say about Obama. Pat Sajak was right.

Any criticism or joke will be regarded as rascist and mean spirited.

Do you think that anyone would attack and scream Rascist or Mean Spirited if I stuck to McCain jokes?

If you have read the first 90% of the thread, you would know this was an open laugh fest about both candidates...
Old 07-15-2008, 09:03 PM   #59
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, when they concern his skin color or Islam, then you're right (and I have yet to see a joke about Obama that doesn't...)

I'm still waiting for South Park to give him the Man-Bear Pig treatment!

Last edited by Underdog; 07-15-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:06 PM   #60
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Apparently there are a lot more than 7 words you can't say about Obama. Pat Sajak was right.

Do you think that anyone would attack and scream Rascist or Mean Spirited if I stuck to McCain jokes?

If you have read the first 90% of the thread, you would know this was an open laugh fest about both candidates...
I get your sentiment, but I fear it's not well grounded in reality. This is a campaign season, after all. Political jokes are nice and funny, and generally accepted with thicker skin than you seem to imply, in between election seasons. But right about now we are trying to figure out who is going to head the executive branch of our government for the next four years, and to most of us that is not a laughing matter.

Now, if you could find an insulated place where all the inhabitants shared your same point of view, I'm sure that any and all jokes would go over quite handsomely even in this important campaign season. (I'm not sure that says much about the intellectual rigors of said insulated place, but as they say, it is what it is.)
Old 07-17-2008, 09:59 PM   #61
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

I'm going to try to re-instate humor around here.

I have said a million times that I think Obama and McCain are both flawed and are both horrible choices for the top seat.

So...

What do Obama and Avery Johnson have in common?

They both looked awesome and unbeatable until playoffs began and they changed their starting lineup.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:03 PM   #62
chumdawg
Guru

I wouldn't recommend pushing for humor, if that's what you have in your bag.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #63
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

What do McCain and Avery Johnson have in common?

They both are short tempered hot heads that no one wants to work with for long.

maybe not funny, Chum.

But, fun to compare anyway.

So, Chum, do you have any more room for humor in your life?

If not, can I ask you what changed (besides Obama's positions)? Perhaps you are now uncertain who to vote for? Perhaps you hate both options as much as I?
Old 07-17-2008, 11:01 PM   #64
chumdawg
Guru

I have plenty of room for humor. In fact, I quite enjoy humor.

What you are putting forth doesn't remotely resemble humor.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:59 PM   #65
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

What do Obama, McCain, and Don Nelson have in common?

It's awkward when they placate the center.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:36 AM   #66
dude1394
Guru

This one's funny..

Last edited by dude1394; 07-18-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:08 AM   #67
Underdog

Old 07-18-2008, 11:49 AM   #68
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute
Default In the spirit of the thread

Quote:
How to make fun of Obama
Tips for those who find it too hard to joke about the Democratic candidate.

I believe comedic change is possible. Since the New Yorker dropped a bum joke on its cover this week, comedians have appeared on every news outlet to whine about how hard it is to make fun of Barack Obama. Really? They have an arsenal of jokes to use against a 71-year-old ex-POW cancer survivor and Obama is too touchy a subject?

I'm here to help. I called some comedian friends to compile a guide to making fun of Obama. The consensus is there's not yet one standout attribute to pound away on (McCain is old! Clinton cheats on his wife! Bush is stupid! Al Gore is a robot! John Kerry makes me feel inexplicably sad inside!), but there are areas to explore. If we just work a little harder, and sacrifice a little bit, we can achieve greatness. We are the immature jerks we have been waiting for.

He's a nerd. Yes, he seems cool because he plays basketball and fist-bumps and knows about pop music. But that's because we're comparing him with other politicians, all of whom are older than our grandparents. Compare Obama with other 46-year-olds and he's Urkel. He's the kid at the Model United Nations conference who says, "Guys, guys, c'mon. Let's not make fun of Eastern Europe." And the brutal truth is, even if women faint at your rallies, you'll never feel cool inside when you have Alfred E. Neuman's ears.

He's ridiculously earnest. Obama is the kind of guy who not only talked you into showing up for Hands Across America but afterward insisted that it was awesome. On "Saturday Night Live," Fred Armisen plays up Obama's weird pauses and brow furrows like he's Yogi Bear getting bad news from a doctor. Comedian Marc Maron does a really smart bit about how Obama stares out into the distance while giving a speech. "The first time you see him you're like, 'What's he looking at?' But then you're like, 'I don't know, but it's good and full of hope. And he's the only one who can see it. If we vote for him, maybe he'll take us there.' "

He's black. Apparently, the differences between black people and white people can be funny. Trust, me I've seen this on HBO's "Def Comedy Jam."

When I called "Simpsons" writer Matt Selman for help on Obama jokes, he came up with this: "A lot of people are worried about Obama being assassinated because he's black. The solution to that is a much blacker vice president. I'm thinking Flavor Flav." Admittedly, Selman nervously said, "Don't make me look racist!" about 20 times before and after telling me his joke.

He's manorexic. No one loses weight on the campaign trail, when you're grabbing fast food and eating whatever is offered out of politeness, but this guy is always turning down doughnuts. It's like he signed up for running for president because he thought "president" was some kind of 10K race.

As comedian Aisha Tyler told me, "He has the build of an ex-high school javelin thrower. He's the guy on the track team who only does that one event, and he weighs the same as the javelin."

He's effete. He's well-dressed. He eats arugula -- which he buys at Whole Foods. He mocks those who use guns. He is, as we mentioned, quite thin. He may only be half-black, but he's three-quarters gay.

He called his own grandmother a racist. We all have racist grandmothers, but we don't brag about it to everyone. I like to imagine that his granny wasn't that bad and that Obama was just super-sensitive. Like she would tell him it was bedtime and he'd yell, "Oh, I have to go to bed because I'm black!" Or she'd tell him to clean up his room and he'd start yelling, "Oh, clean my room, huh? My people stopped obeying the white woman 100 years ago, Grammy!" Then they'd both laugh and she'd whip him.

His name is weird. The unfunny people beat us to the Osama/Obama bit, which really could have been mined. But Obama also dropped the "Barry" nickname in college. Do you remember those classmates who suddenly found their culture and had to share it with you like they were on the ninth step of AA? You just wanted to trudge through "Portrait of a Lady," but they felt compelled to sit you down in the dorm hallway and explain how they're no longer Susie, they're Mei Mei now. Then they recounted their whole journey of identity by using a lot of words that made it clear that Mei Mei was going to be a lot less fun than Susie was.

His platitudes need deconstruction. "We are the people we've been waiting for"? Actually, I'm pretty sure we're the people who put all our money in Yahoo and then bought a house to flip and now are hocking everything we have. We're the people China has been waiting for.
Link

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:12 PM   #69
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Underdog is getting melodramatic again (although I love his pics). We are poking fun at the people who are the candidates. The importance of the contest is not disputed.

We just have two laughable jokes running for a very important job...

The search committee failed badly.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:29 PM   #70
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Underdog is getting melodramatic again (although I love his pics). We are poking fun at the people who are the candidates. The importance of the contest is not disputed.

We just have two laughable jokes running for a very important job...

The search committee failed badly.
I might agree that it is laughable that the Republicans, who won the last two elections on the strength of the Christian conservatives, have put forth a candidate who doesn't do anything for their base.

I would disagree that the Dems have chosen a candidate who can't inspire their base.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:35 PM   #71
jefelump

jefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to all

Quote:
I might agree that it is laughable that the Republicans, who won the last two elections on the strength of the Christian conservatives, have put forth a candidate who doesn't do anything for their base.

I would disagree that the Dems have chosen a candidate who can't inspire their base.
Nobody said Obama couldn't inspire his base. He clearly has done that. I just can't figure out what is inspiring about him.

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

'Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,'
Old 07-18-2008, 11:37 PM   #72
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefelump
Nobody said Obama couldn't inspire his base. He clearly has done that. I just can't figure out what is inspiring about him.
Maybe that's because you aren't part of his base?
Old 07-18-2008, 11:41 PM   #73
jefelump

Quote:
Maybe that's because you aren't part of his base?
Clearly... But each candidate wants to win more than just his base. That is why they try to appeal to the middle/moderates too, so they can win more than just their base. And no, I'm not a "middle of the road moderate". Obama is never going to inspire me, because I disagree with his politics. It has nothing to do with party affiliation or whether or not I'm part of his base. McCain doesn't inspire me either.

-Mark Twain

Last edited by jefelump; 07-18-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:43 PM   #74
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Quote:

No debate.

But... Obama also inspires the opposite base. If it weren't for Obama, who would vote for McCain???

Obama inspires us to go out and vote for McCain. That is laughable.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:55 PM   #75
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Obama inspires us to go out and vote for McCain. That is laughable.
This has got to be the most laughable thing in this thread. Let me get this straight. You are saying that someone who would generally vote Democrat is inspired to vote Republican this time around because of Obama? Ummm...I'm afraid not.

Or, are you saying that the Obama tide is causing Republicans who wouldn't generally vote in the election to go out and vote for John McCain because Obama is the other choice? Gimme a break.

Obama is not inspiring anyone to vote McCain, trust me. If you said he was keeping people away from the polls, that would be one thing. But he's not creating votes for McCain, except for the possible contigency (small and not worth considering) who wouldn't normally vote but in this election are compelled to because of the Obama threat as they see it. Good luck hitching your wagon to that hope.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:14 AM   #76
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Quote:
This has got to be the most laughable thing in this thread. Let me get this straight. You are saying that someone who would generally vote Democrat is inspired to vote Republican this time around because of Obama? Ummm...I'm afraid not.

Or, are you saying that the Obama tide is causing Republicans who wouldn't generally vote in the election to go out and vote for John McCain because Obama is the other choice? Gimme a break.
Obama is not inspiring anyone to vote McCain, trust me. If you said he was keeping people away from the polls, that would be one thing. But he's not creating votes for McCain, except for the possible contigency (small and not worth considering) who wouldn't normally vote but in this election are compelled to because of the Obama threat as they see it. Good luck hitching your wagon to that hope.

I think you will find that, like Hillary before him, that Obama will inspire Republicans to go vote...

The bolded area is what I meant. We'll see.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:23 AM   #77
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think you will find that, like Hillary before him, that Obama will inspire Republicans to go vote...

A lot of Republicans aren't all that enthused about McCain, but Obama is a scarier specter than traditional Dem clowns like Gore or Kerry, and thusly, don't be surprised if the Obama 'tide' does in fact inspire large numbers of folks in the South and Midwest to come out and and cast votes that might be more accurately described as being anti-Obama than pro-McCain...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 07-19-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:25 AM   #78
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:

No chance, Sundance. The people who would be compelled to vote against Obama have had their sensitivities deadened by now. Obama is seen as the presumptive president-elect and has been for quite some time. Not many Democrats are going to cross over to vote against him, and not many Republicans see him as enough of a threat to get out and vote for...McCain.

The Republicans are going to sit this one out, my friend.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:26 AM   #79
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmav2
A lot of Republicans aren't all that enthused about McCain, but Obama is a scarier specter than traditional Dem clowns like Gore or Kerry, and thusly, don't be surprised if the Obama 'tide' does in fact inspire large numbers of folks in the South and Midwest to come out and and cast votes that might be more accurately described as being anti-Obama than pro-McCain...
Exactly.

Don't care about McCain.
Don't want Obama.
Vote McCain to stop Obama.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:28 AM   #80
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Quote:
No chance, Sundance. The people who would be compelled to vote against Obama have had their sensitivities deadened by now. Obama is seen as the presumptive president-elect and has been for quite some time. Not many Democrats are going to cross over to vote against him, and not many Republicans see him as enough of a threat to get out and vote for...McCain.

The Republicans are going to sit this one out, my friend.
The Rasmusen poll is the nation's best independent polling source. Rasmusen says you are wrong at the present time.

Rasmusen shows Obama leading by Electoral College but not by total percentage. By total percentage, Obama and McCain are within the margin of error (or statistically tied).