Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-09-2003, 12:43 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UT vs UO thread

predictions?.. who will start at QB? Who will win the game and how badly will UO win? Which UT QB will be injured during the game?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2003, 12:46 PM   #2
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default UT vs UO thread

What's up with using UO instead of OU? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2003, 12:48 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UT vs UO thread

It ticks off the UO fans. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Sorry Longhorns...I hope and pray that I am dead wrong, but OU should win by at least 10 imho. Those guys look so solid. They are amazing.

That said, I hope tu wins against the sooners.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 12:48 PM   #4
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all
Default UT vs UO thread

I'd love to see the Horns win but...

ou 31- UT 17

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 12:50 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UT vs UO thread

sure, i'd love to see UT beat the snot out of UO..but, i don't see it happening. UO is just soo much more physical up front on both sides of the ball. Even in victory last week, UT's offensive line was shredded to pieces
Old 10-09-2003, 12:51 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Default UT vs UO thread

Perhaps UO should change their name to University of Texas in Norman
Old 10-09-2003, 12:53 PM   #7
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default UT vs UO thread

I'd like to see UT take this one and think they have a decent chance since they're the underdogs. UT seems to do better when playing from this position.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:56 PM   #8
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: UT vs UO thread

I'm going with Texas (who couldn't see that coming).

I have a feeling that Vince Young will start. IMO if he was going to start Mock, he would have announced it. I don't really care who starts; I think both should play because they present different challenges to the OU defense. By the 4th quarter it should be apparent who's been the most effective.

If we can't establish a running game, it'll be tough to win. To be honest, there's nothing i've seen from our o-line or Benson that would make me think we can. I'm going on blind faith (sometimes that's all you have). Ideally I'd like to see Mock start the game, but avoid the dink and dunk passes he's fond of. OU trusts its corners and will match them up on Roy and BJ. Make them make a play. Throw the ball down field . If we can hit some passes early, that should open up the running game. We've tried running to set up the passing game. It doesn't work.

I think our defense can handle them. We've only played one passing QB (Losman from Tulane) and we handled him. We have small quick ends that can rush the passer and pretty good corners. Derrick Johnson will have a huge game.

Should be a good one. Can't wait.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:03 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Default UT vs UO thread

unfortunately..mack brown and greg davis will try to establish the run at any cost early in the game. Maybe they should try to set up the run by throwing the ball deep a couple of times to the horns deep threats..spread the field and make it a bit more possible to get benson some room.

they're too concerned with looking like a pro-style offense that they often times forget to take advantage of the huge mismatches that they have at the receiver spots.

but, that's mack brown and greg davis for you. roy williams may be the best reciever in the country, but you'd never know it by the play calling.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:06 PM   #10
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default UT vs UO thread

Mock will start but Young will get plenty of time.
I never, ever pick against my team. There will be a lot of praying in Austin this week.

24-21 Texas. Hook em!
Old 10-09-2003, 04:16 PM   #11
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

No need to pray... just a need to prey.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Texas - 34
Suck - 27
Old 10-09-2003, 05:00 PM   #12
QCarFan
Golden Member

QCarFan can only hope to improve

If Young starts, there is a good chance(haha) that the Horns could win this game, but if Mock starts good-bye Horns.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:02 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Default UT vs UO thread

what do you base your opinion on?
Old 10-09-2003, 05:23 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Default UT vs UO thread

a general lack of football knowledge apparently.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:05 PM   #15
QCarFan
Golden Member

The fact that, if you want to have a chance against OU you have to have a mobile QB, one that is just as dangerous running the ball as he is throwing it. Chance Mock is not at the level of a Vincent Young, and if Mack Brown wants to finally win a big game, he'd start this kid and ride him as far as he will take him. Mock did nothing last week, on the other hand Vincent Young looked like the 2nd coming of Michael Vick.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:07 PM   #16
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I kind of want TU to win just so it helps Arkansas' strength of schedule. I kind of hope Oklahoma wins because I hate them and if by some miraculous twist of fate Oklahoma and Arkansas ended up in the sugar bowl, it'd be fun to beat OU.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:32 PM   #17
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough

Texas is due for a win. OU is a stronger team, but this is a rivalry and anything can happen. Texas will have to make about 5 big plays and they will have to play some defense late in the 4th quarter if they want to pull off the upset. UT might be playing QB by committee.

Mack Brown may be fired if they don't beat OU this year, it's been too long since UT won that game.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:01 PM   #18
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default UT vs UO thread

Go Horns!
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 08:59 PM   #19
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road
Default UT vs UO thread

Mack Brown is an idiot.

That being said I want UT to win so bad that I have to pick them to win.

38-31 UT wins

These are they keys to the game IMHSO

I hope what we see is that Mack realizes they have 3 #1 receivers on this team and throws the ball to them early and often.

<u>( We need to be less predictable)</u>

I want to see BJ Johnson, Sloan, and R W atleast get 7 balls thrown to each of them during the game.

<u>(It seems like brown doesn't realize what he's got here. If you throw the ball in the general area of anyone of these guys they will fight for ball and get it.)</u>

I want them to give V Young around 2/3 of the snaps.

<u>(I don't want Young to get all of the snaps because I imagine the genius that is Stoops has been practicing for a mobile QB, but I think Mock will probably end up getting killed if he has to deal with the blitz every play)</u>

I want S Young to platoon quite a bit with Benson.

<u>(In a big game like this you need speed and a big play threat in your backfield, Benson isn't quite the fastest guy on the team and S Young is so explosive in the open field. Hopefully Mack will actually run Selvin outside instead of force feeding the guy up the middle.</u>

I want the QB's to realize that they have a great receiving TE (Bo Scaife) if they get in trouble.

<u>(Scaife has seemed to be under the radar as of late, maybe because of his injuries the previous years but this guy can still catch the ball.)</u>

One last thing, I want UT to Blitz for once.

<u>(I think the blitz helps them on downs were it is warranted, they just never seem to blitz enough when playing UO. I dont want them to blitz every down but I want Mack to stop coaching like he is trying not to lose the game and start coaching like he's trying to win the game.)</u>
Old 10-09-2003, 09:32 PM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

Default UT vs UO thread

so qcar, you're saying that young is better based off of one week? very interesting. the horns don't have faith in young to throw the ball. he's thrown 19 passes in 17 possessions.
sure, you need a mobile QB vs the blitz but you also need a QB that the coach trusts to throw the ball. Mock has had a solid season based on any logical person's standards. Yes, young has looked solid as well and should good PT vs oklahoma.

but, to dismiss mock is totally illogical and uniformed
Old 10-09-2003, 10:06 PM   #21
LRB
Guru

Default UT vs UO thread

Don't worry Murphy, I'm sure Quincy Carter will prove him right as with everything else.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:38 PM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

Default UT vs UO thread

let's keep this on UT and UO
Old 10-09-2003, 11:01 PM   #23
QCarFan
Golden Member

seriously lrb, take that to another thread. but off of one week? i think not murphy, young has looked good pretty much every time he has stepped on the field. last week has alot to do with it, but so does the previous weeks. the guy didnt take a snap in the 1 L of the season, correct? coincidence? i think not, if mack wants to win he plays this kid for 75% of the offensive plays. sure mock should see a little pt, but imo he should not start and should only get about 25% of the snaps. mack brown should ride young as far as he will take him, starting with this game against ou. im not dismissing him, but i just dont think he is as capable of leading UT to a victory over OU this weekend, on the other hand i think young gives UT a lot better chance in this game. just my opinion
Old 10-10-2003, 09:01 AM   #24
LRB
Guru

Default UT vs UO thread

Well you have my apology QCarFan. You responded to Murphy's question and backed up your opinion. That's all I every wanted to see. WTG.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:26 AM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

Default UT vs UO thread

Qcarfan, young has looked good all season. but, it was almost completely in spot duty when the other team was completely prepared to face a QB such as mock. It's like a fastball/curve pitcher all of a sudden throwing a slider out of the blue. you're just not prepared for it.

however, after last week, you can be sure that the sooners will be ready for mock and young. and young has only had very little extended playing time this season.

take a little pressure off of the kid. start mock and rotate young in after a couple of series. if young's playing better, then go with him. if they're both looking good then keep changing up.

young will eventually be the starting QB..but let's not throw him to the wolves just yet.. keep things as they've been going..alternate back and forth and get a since of how the game will proceed.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:36 AM   #26
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default UT vs UO thread

Im going to go with OU 36- UT 13. Come on Mack Brown coaches close to the vest to often. They have no chance even with all the number one recruiting classes they reel in.

As far as who should start. It should be the better athlete, the guy that can make plays with his legs since cedric benson obviously can't. The offense is a lot more dynamic with vincent young come on 6 ft 5 inches tall and he runs a 4.3 its a no brainer who should start. First off Vincent is the future, second OU has trouble with mobile qbs last year Brad Smith gave OU fits. Reggie McNeal beat OU last year. And vincent is bigger , stronger and faster then both of those guys. And they have the opportunity to run option against OU at the very least a change of pace.

No one is dissmissing Mock but the fact is OU has trouble with mobile qbs. Mock is a talented kid a parade Mcdonald All-American but Young is the number one recruit in the nation. Vick had several games of only a 175 yards passing and was very successful running over defenses. They need to play with some unpredictablity for once.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 09:57 AM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

Default UT vs UO thread

but, Brown obviously has some issues with young's ability to throw the ball. in 17 possessions for young, they have thrown the ball only 19 times.

With Mock, you have much more use of your biggest weapons.. The Big 3 receivers.
With young, you don't have nearly as much of that threat at this point in his collegiate career.

so, it's not a "no brainer" as some may put it.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:51 PM   #28
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road
Default UT vs UO thread

I agree with you totally Fah Q..

Since we are talking Horn's football. Does anyone think number 4 (Roy Williams) will go number 1 in the next NFL draft with heisman's trophy honor's?

Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 02:31 PM   #29
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road
Default UT vs UO thread

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nicky31
I agree with you totally Fah Q..

Since we are talking Horn's football. Does anyone think number 4 (Roy Williams) will go number 1 in the next NFL draft with heisman's trophy honor's?
Mack is too conservative to get Roy the ball enough for him to get the heisman. I honestly think Roy will go in the 5 but not #1.

What I want to know is how high does everyone think BJ Johnson and Sloan Thomas will go. I think if those two receivers were on almost any other team they would be 1st rounders.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:28 PM   #30
QCarFan
Golden Member

Well, all I am saying is that the way they are rotating now doesn't and will not work against OU. Sometimes Young gets in, sometimes he don't. Somethings every other possesion, sometimes every 2 or 3 and that quite simply is a recipe for failure against OU. If Mack Brown is smart(and I think he is) he will give this kid 75% of the snaps come Saturday. I seen the kid throw the ball pretty well, just because Mack may not have alot of confidence in him to throw it, doesn't mean he can't. He really showed me something last week(no, not the only time) but the way that kid led the offense and the way Mock failed at doing so, this kid should be the guy. I am not saying Mock shouldn't get snaps, because he definitely should but it should be him with the limited snaps, and Young with the most snaps IMO.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:33 PM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

Default UT vs UO thread

Why is it a recipe for failure?
Old 10-10-2003, 03:35 PM   #32
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not all about Mack Brown not having confidence in him. A lot of his runs are on run/pass options. At this point he just feels more comfortable running the ball. I'm sure that will change with time, but I'd be suprised if it was this week.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:47 PM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

Default UT vs UO thread

I'll see if i can find it, but brown actually mentioned that he's not comfortable with young throwing it alot yet
Old 10-10-2003, 03:58 PM   #34
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I'll take your word for it, but that doesn't make sense to me. He could negatively affect the confidence of hisyoung quarterback, while telling the defense what's coming. I guess no one ever accused him of being adept at handling QB's. Well, he can throw the bomb and you don't have to hit on many of those to be successful.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:16 PM   #35
QCarFan
Golden Member

Default UT vs UO thread

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Why is it a recipe for failure?
because Mock seems to play 2 or 3 possesions in a row, then Young plays 1, or he plays all possesions and Young plays none(Ark game) and that wont get it done against OU IMO. Young needs to play 75% of the snaps in that game IMO, but anything less than 50% and then you really have to question Mack Browns ability to coach then.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:22 PM   #36
Murphy3
Guru

Default UT vs UO thread

but why does young need to play 75% of the possessions?
Old 10-10-2003, 05:27 PM   #37
QCarFan
Golden Member

Because against OU, he is the type of QB that can win the game for you and Mock, IMO is not. I am not saying he will lead UT to the win, but IMO he gives you the best chance of winning so why not play him 75% of the offensive plays?
Old 10-10-2003, 05:29 PM   #38
Murphy3
Guru

Default UT vs UO thread

I'm trying to get you to expand your answers just a bit. Why do you think young will be more successful against OU?
Old 10-10-2003, 05:30 PM   #39
Drbio
Banned

Default UT vs UO thread

Question Mack Brown's coaching ability? Doesn't he average 9-10 wins a year? Pretty questionable huh?
Old 10-10-2003, 05:40 PM   #40
QCarFan
Golden Member

Well, Murphy I don't think Mock has the style of play that will get it done against OU. It's really about the difference in styles they play, and what I think will be sucessful against OU. And also, who I think will give UT the best chance of winning the game. The style of play that Young brings to the offense would be much more sucessful IMO against OU than Mock. The teams and QBs that seem to have sucess against OU, is the more mobile type QBs. This is just my opinion of course........

And how many of those are big games Drbio? Tomorrow is a big game, A VERY VERY BIG GAME.