Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-21-2005, 11:01 PM   #81
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default RE: Dallas @ Charlotte Gameday Thread

But - Nash was notorious for getting big shots when another team was making a run. Doesn't mean that he's better, but from that criteria...Nash was very good.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:11 PM   #82
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Dallas @ Charlotte Gameday Thread

Bickerstaff is unhappy about officiating

Quote:
By JENNA FRYER, AP Sports Writer
January 21, 2005

AP - Jan 21, 10:14 pm EST
More Photos

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- The Charlotte Bobcats have alleged unfair officiating all season. Now they might have proof to back them up.

Moments after their 105-99 loss to the Dallas Mavericks on Friday night, coach Bernie Bickerstaff said guard Jason Hart claimed an official told him the Bobcats are punished for complaining.

``An official told him in the last game that we would not get calls because we complain,'' Bickerstaff said. ``I'm just conveying what one of my guys told me.''

Hart, who started against the Mavericks in place of injured guard Brevin Knight, said the exchange came during Wednesday night's loss to Philadelphia. He said he did not take the statement as a ``threat,'' just an explanation as to how the games are officiated.

``It was more like, `If we complain all game, the calls you should get are probably not going to go your way, `` Hart said. ``It wasn't a threat. He was just saying, `Just Play.' ``

But it's hard for the Bobcats to not feel slighted, especially after going to the line just 16 times against the Mavericks. Dallas, on the other hand, attempted 31 free throws.

Bickerstaff, who was ejected from the Philadelphia loss, acknowledged he complains.

``It could be adverse to us. But I think I still owe it to my guys,'' he said.

The Bobcats have lost seven straight and 13 of 14, and once again, they were in this one late after rallying from 13 points down at the start of the fourth quarter.

Jason Kapono hit consecutive 3-pointers to start a rally, and his two free throws with 2:14 to play cut Dallas' lead to 95-94.

But Keith Bogans was called for a foul away from the basket and Jerry Stackhouse made both free throws to push the lead to 97-94.

The teams traded baskets until Charlotte's Kareem Rush missed an open 3, Dirk Nowitzki got the rebound and Michael Finley made a 13-footer with 38 seconds to play and a 101-96 Dallas lead.

That could have been enough for Dallas, but Kapono hit another 3 with 34 seconds to play to cut the lead to 101-99. The Bobcats tried to defend, but Jason Terry hit a jumper to seal the win.

``It would be really arrogant if I said we weren't concerned,'' acting coach Avery Johnson said.

Finley and Nowitzki scored 20 points each to lead Dallas to its fourth consecutive victory. Stackhouse scored 19 points, Terry had 17 and Howard added 11 for the Mavericks, who have won nine of 11 games.

Johnson had a pep talk with Terry at halftime that sparked him to speed up the tempo and hit two late baskets.

``Me and him had a good talk,'' Terry said. ``Anytime you get a vote of confidence from the coach it means a lot. It motivated me to go out in the second half and just be a general.''

Emeka Okafor had 24 points and 15 rebounds, and Primoz Brezec and Jason Kapono added 14 each. Hart had 13 points and 10 assists.

The Mavericks closed the first half with a 14-0 run to take a 56-48 lead into the break. Finley hit consecutive 3-pointers and a short fadeaway during the surge for Dallas.

Dallas used another late run to close out the third quarter, getting four straight points from Stackhouse and 3-pointer by Finley to take a 79-66 lead into the final quarter.

The Bobcats didn't get a single free throw in the third quarter and appeared to be getting manhandled under the basket.

The frustration boiled over when Gerald Wallace was called for his fourth foul with 9:14 to play. He argued the call, and was hit with a technical. After Stackhouse made his free throw, Wallace was called for his fifth foul on the inbounds play 3 seconds later.

Wallace was taken out of the game, where he sat on the bench with a furious scowl on his face.

``I'm just frustrated right now with the way I am playing,'' Wallace said.

Heading into the fourth quarter, the Bobcats had attempted just five free throws. They ended 11-for-16.

Dallas, on the other hand, was 25-of-31.

Notes

Michael Jordan and Charles Oakley played golf in North Carolina earlier in the day, then watched the game in a suite. ... Howard, Stackhouse and Darrell Armstrong, all North Carolina natives, probably accounted for 100 tickets. ... The Bobcats have made it clear to opposing teams that they are not interested in trading Knight, or the majority of their players, to a contender. ``We're going to ride it out. Our evaluation should come from a full season,'' Bickerstaff said. ... Sitting in between the usual contingent of NASCAR drivers and Carolina Panthers was actor Robby Benson

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:57 PM   #83
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Terry is STILL not pushing the ball. One thing I might be concerned about is if that is avery's style, ala the spurs. Ugly ball.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 05:25 AM   #84
Don_Didi

Don_Didi is on a distinguished road

Terry may not have as many assists as many would like (some of that might have to do with Dirk's atrocious shooting tonight), but what I like most about JT, even more than his great shots at the end of the game, is the fact that he had zero turnovers. In fact, our point guards coughed it up a grand total of zero times. Devin only played six minutes, but he took care of the ball himself. And they both had a steal to go with it, too.
Don_Didi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 11:26 AM   #85
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Terry is STILL not pushing the ball. One thing I might be concerned about is if that is avery's style, ala the spurs. Ugly ball.
We scored 104 points on a night when Dirk shot 7-22. We were on a back-to-back night when they got into Charlotte at 4:00 a.m. That might explain why you perceived that they weren't pushing the ball enough.

At the same time, however, they've averaged 110 ppg over the past 14 games with Terry as a starter. I'd say that what they're doing on offense is working pretty well, generally speaking.

Old 01-22-2005, 12:22 PM   #86
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Totally agree. The entire second half they just walked it up.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:36 PM   #87
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

My comments are not a big critique of jt, he's certainly been getting the job done. But I must admit walking the ball up just doesn't look right in a mavericks uniform.

He's up to 21st in point guards on the realgm index, I'd like to see him be more aggressive in general.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-22-2005, 12:48 PM   #88
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I didn't get to watch last night so I can't comment on the playing style, but I seem to remember the Mavs pretty well running the Clippers out of the Arena in the second half the night before. Granted it was a team effort sparked by the defense, but the only thing ugly about it in my eyes was the way LA was getting abused.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:04 PM   #89
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

last night was all about half-court offense.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:40 PM   #90
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Scary game at the 2min mark but Finley & Terry's clutch shots see us through. Terry just seems so poised all through the game. He may not have the passing skills as a Nash or a Kidd but he's a far better shooter than Kidd and a far better defender than Nash. His consistency in hitting the open shot is just unreal.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 02:33 PM   #91
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
His consistency in hitting the open shot is just unreal.
this aspect has been the most unexpected piece of Terry's game for me....His accuracy and range have been most impressive...

Also, I know that Nash was the most recent point guard of the Mavs and much beloved, but can we stop always comparing Terry to Nash like Nash is the standard of a perfect point guard?! Don't you guys/and gals remember how badly beaten he was in the playoffs by men now considered lesser point guards and what a constant liability he was at the defensive end? Now I’m not here to say that Terry is a better overall point guard but, to be sure, Terry is a more well rounded basketball player than Nash.

I am sick of the Nash/Terry game being played so very often…it had its time, but it has since passed. Move on.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 05:40 PM   #92
dude1394
Guru

It's only NOW time to move on, now that he's playing adequately, early in the season both he and devin were pretty horrific.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:03 PM   #93
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
His consistency in hitting the open shot is just unreal.
this aspect has been the most unexpected piece of Terry's game for me....His accuracy and range have been most impressive...

Also, I know that Nash was the most recent point guard of the Mavs and much beloved, but can we stop always comparing Terry to Nash like Nash is the standard of a perfect point guard?! Don't you guys/and gals remember how badly beaten he was in the playoffs by men now considered lesser point guards and what a constant liability he was at the defensive end? Now I’m not here to say that Terry is a better overall point guard but, to be sure, Terry is a more well rounded basketball player than Nash.

I am sick of the Nash/Terry game being played so very often…it had its time, but it has since passed. Move on.
It's not necessarily the comparison to Nash it's the comparison of what we had last year over this year. If Steve Franchise was our point guard last year i'd do the same thing. I'd compare Terry to Franchise but Franchise wasn't hear last year. Nash was and I believe that's all everyone is doing on this board. Just seeing the upgrade we've made at this offseason.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote