Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 03-31-2006, 11:58 PM   #1
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dallas Stars Playoff Discussion - can Marty "swiss cheese" Turco stop a shot?

I'm watching this confrontation with the Ducks tonight, probably for no other reason than that Fox carried it directly after the Mavericks debacle. I feel ruefully embarrassed to be so uneducated about the home team.

I do fondly remember the glory days of the late 1990's. The triple-overtime game against the hated Edmonton Oilers. (I believe it was Nieuwendyk who ultimately sealed that game for us.) The glorious Brett Hull no-goal that was indeed a goal against the hapless Buffalo Sabres.

I had the extreme pleasure of attending the Game Seven against the manifest evil that was the Colorado 'Lanche in that 1999 season. Being in that arena, albeit high up, was probably the loudest environment I have been in. Sadly, it didn't last long, as the Stars jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first period and summarily dismissed the impostors from Denver. But oh, wasn't it great to watch Forsberg and Sakic die a slow and painful death. Especially after that ESPN commercial in the hot tub. And Roy? Don't get me started on Roy.

But since then I have lost my attachment to the local team.

Should I sign back on? Hell, I don't even know how good the Stars are right now. Is there a bandwagon I should jump upon? I freely admit that I don't mind jumping upon a bandwagon, if a championship may be within sight. I don't like to let championships, whether it is the Dallas Cowboys or the Dallas Sidekicks, pass unnoticed.

All I really know is that I have heard the Stars are at or among the leaders in the conference. Is this still true? Should I sign on for another playoff run?

All advice appreciated.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2006, 01:09 AM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Stars going to a shootout in this tilt. I hear they are eleven for eleven in the shootouts. That's salty!

Last edited by chumdawg; 04-01-2006 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:31 AM   #3
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Man, chumdawg, you watch the Stars & they lose their first shootout of the year!

Thanks for bringing this up b/c I see this is a perfect opportunity to make my annual “pimp the Stars despite the fact almost nobody here cares about them” post. The answer to your question is YES, you should DEFINITELY jump on the bandwagon now. With a point for the overtime loss tonight, they clinch a playoff spot. They will probably clinch the Pacific division early next week. This is definitely the best chance the Stars have had to win the Stanley Cup since 2000 when they went to the Finals. This is a special team that no one knows about. Here is a quick primer:

This is the best & most balanced team the Stars have fielded since Dave Tippett took over, despite the fact that they cut $30mil off the payoff last summer to get under the cap. They are still the stingiest team in the league—that much hasn’t changed—they allow the fewest shots per game in the league. However, they also have 4 players w/at least 20 goals. They can play any style, have excellent skill guys (including 6 Finns on the roster) but also good grit. They lead the league in fighting majors.

They are probably one of the most resilient teams I’ve ever seen—they’ve come back to win an NHL record 11 times when trailing after 2 periods. This is personified by their opening night performance, when they came back from being down 4-0 in the first to win 5-4. Tonight they finally lost in shootout, where they are now still a remarkable 11-1, helped largely by rookie Jussi Jokinen, who scored in his first 9 attempts (but the concern of course is there is no shootout in the playoffs).

One weakness to watch out for going into the playoffs is their surprisingly mediocre special teams (21st ranked power play out of 30), but they have been much better since the Olympic break. Also, Marty Turco has been up & down this season, but, again, much better since the break. They are cruising toward the playoffs & will almost certainly finish second in the West behind Detroit. B/c the West’s playoff picture is so jumbled, they can play any one of about 6 teams in the first round, but if I were to bet, I would say we’re going to get Edmonton. Because…we always get Edmonton.

So in conclusion, the bandwagon’s cooking over at the Stars boards. I encourage everyone to jump aboard. =D
Old 04-04-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Hey, I just noticed this thread.

Ames knows what she's talking about. Jump on in, we have every reason to believe this is a team to pay attention too, assuming you have any interest in hockey. While it does appear that you are bad luck for us, I would still like to say a warm, "Welcome back".
Old 04-04-2006, 06:04 PM   #5
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get why the Stars aren't talked about much on this site. I have a man-crush on Zubov. Although I think his Lungs are going to fall out soon.

But really, the Stars are having a great season. I am reluctant to say that they will go far in the Playoffs because there is no Shootout in the Playoffs (and 11 of our wins were from shootouts). I am pumped though. I love April/May.... NHL and NBA playoffs. NHL playoff games are pretty tough on the heart. But that's what is so great about it.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:03 PM   #6
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

going thru a lull right now, but this Stars team is legit. Finally have some good young talent mixed in to go along with Modano and co. Marty Turco is the only question as he is streaky as hell and he will need to be on fire the entire playoffs for them to bring home another cup.

The work stoppage nearly killed the NHL, it seems. The hockey is better now though than it was before, it's just not on ESPN anymore so unless you are looking to watch a Stars game on 27, you don't see hockey.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:29 PM   #7
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

It is really not good that the first two rounds of the playoffs will be on OLN. Here you are in the most exciting time of the season, when your game should be in the spotlight & a lot of people don't even have OLN, even if they did want to watch. :\

Stars can clinch the division tomorrow in Anaheim. They've lost 3 in a row now while sitting a couple of important guys w/minor injuries (Zubov, Modano), so it'd be good if we can go ahead & wrap this thing up.

edit: I was right before, magic number must be 2. Also, DMN reports they will get Bill Guerin back for Phoenix on Saturday, so that's good.

Last edited by ames7; 04-05-2006 at 10:58 PM.
ames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:17 AM   #8
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
It is really not good that the first two rounds of the playoffs will be on OLN. Here you are in the most exciting time of the season, when your game should be in the spotlight & a lot of people don't even have OLN, even if they did want to watch. :\

Stars can clinch the division tomorrow in Anaheim. They've lost 3 in a row now while sitting a couple of important guys w/minor injuries (Zubov, Modano), so it'd be good if we can go ahead & wrap this thing up.

edit: I was right before, magic number must be 2. Also, DMN reports they will get Bill Guerin back for Phoenix on Saturday, so that's good.
Are they going to play the local games on like FSSW or KDFW or anything like that, or are they stricktly on OLN?
Old 04-06-2006, 02:35 PM   #9
ames7
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
Are they going to play the local games on like FSSW or KDFW or anything like that, or are they stricktly on OLN?
Okay, I looked it up. OLN will actually be showing games throughout the entire playoffs (not just the first two rounds), including the first 2 games of the Stanley Cup Finals. They will carry any game not on NBC:
Quote:
NBC Sports will provide coverage of the Conference Quarterfinals on April 22, 23, 29 and 30; the Conference Semifinals, May 6, 7, 13 and 14; the Conference Finals on May 20; and Games 3-7 of the Stanley Cup Final in primetime.
I'm pretty sure both OLN games are exclusive to that network. >:[
Old 04-06-2006, 02:48 PM   #10
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

You know what that spells to me? Death to the NHL playoffs popularity.

WTF?
Old 04-07-2006, 12:05 AM   #11
ames7
Diamond Member

OMG, what an emotional game. The Stars = Pacific Division Champions... but Modano got hit in the second, it looked really, really bad. Some kind of knee injury, he didn't come back. If he's out for long... so long, Cup hopes.

After Mo went out, it was like the Stars were completely deflated. Turco kept them in it & Kapanen scored an empty-net goal in the last 30 seconds to seal it. I am exhausted.

Please, please let Mo be okay.

edit: "Mike tweaked an old injury and it looked worse than it was," Tippett said after the game. "He plans on skating tomorrow so he should be fine. When any player goes down, you get scared but he looked fine walking out of here and seemed fine. We won't take any chances with him." Oh, thank God.

Last edited by ames7; 04-07-2006 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:28 PM   #12
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
Man, chumdawg, you watch the Stars & they lose their first shootout of the year!

They lead the league in fighting majors.

They are probably one of the most resilient teams I’ve ever seen—they’ve come back to win an NHL record 11 times when trailing after 2 periods. This is personified by their opening night performance, when they came back from being down 4-0 in the first to win 5-4. Tonight they finally lost in shootout, where they are now still a remarkable 11-1, helped largely by rookie Jussi Jokinen, who scored in his first 9 attempts (but the concern of course is there is no shootout in the playoffs).
how awesome is that, the part about fighting!? any particular player that's more of an enforcer or is it spread out? certainly the Stars of the late 90's were not especially known for being rough and tumble....

hockey games have still been the most entertaining start-finish events i've attended. thanks for the info...
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:35 PM   #13
ames7
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay
how awesome is that, the part about fighting!? any particular player that's more of an enforcer or is it spread out? certainly the Stars of the late 90's were not especially known for being rough and tumble....
That's what's so cool about it... in the "new NHL," you can't really afford carry a pure enforcer on your roster--a guy who can only fight. The Stars have guys who can fight & do other things. Steve Ott has the most, 15, but he also has career highs in goals, assists & points. Hilariously, even Mike Modano has gotten into a semi-scrap this year (yeah, he threw a punch & everything, it was awesome).

This team's pretty tough. They hit well. Don't underestimate the importance of the acquisition of Willie Mitchell at the deadline. You know how, since Hatcher left, we haven't really had a big D-man in front of the net to clear out the Todd Bertuzzi/Keith Tkachuk types? Willie Mitchell is like Hatcher...only younger & more mobile.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:15 PM   #14
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

U2: Zubov can be a sweetheart, and TV ratings for the Stars is in the toilet on any network. I was miffed that FSN SW didn't get playoff games yet though. As for broadcasting the playoffs on OLN... you can thank the league for that - not a Stars decision.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:31 PM   #15
ames7
Diamond Member

Playoff first round matchup set! It's the Avs! (Whoa, no Dallas/Edmonton in the first round??? How will we know it's the playoffs??) I feel okay about this matchup, it's WAY better than getting the Ducks, who are really good right now.

SO ready for the playoffs to start in NHL & NBA. COME ON ALREADY!
Old 04-18-2006, 12:11 AM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL @ the Dallas/Edm crack......
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:16 AM   #17
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

If there is a team I hate as bad as I hate the stinking Red Wings, it's the Avs. So this will be a pleasing beating to watch.

edit: I said watch, but who am I kidding? I won't be able to see any of the games it seems thanks to the really smart TV deal the NHL has signed. I meant it will be pleasing to listen and/or read.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 04-18-2006 at 12:17 AM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:45 AM   #18
ames7
Diamond Member

u2, I checked around a little & no one is really quite sure how OLN is going to handle the schedule, but it appears they can't carry every game. Although Dallas/Colorado is probably going to be one of the more popular matchups, some of the games should go to KDFI/FSN if that helps you at all.

God, I hope they do. I don't know if I can take the OLN announcers for that many games.

Last edited by ames7; 04-18-2006 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:54 AM   #19
chumdawg
Guru

What the heck is OLN??
Old 04-18-2006, 11:10 AM   #20
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
What the heck is OLN??
Outdoor Life Network. Which first gained "fame" airing the Tour de France.

Actually, I think it gained more obscurity than it did any fame.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:15 PM   #21
ames7
Diamond Member

More info: one of the Stars' PR guys was just on w/Bob & Dan... according to him, none of the first round games are exclusive to OLN, so you should be able to watch if you have KDFI/FSN. Just two second round games are exclusive, but all conference finals & Stanley Cup finals games pretty much are, except for the ones that get picked up by NBC.

Man I cannot wait! Starting Friday, it should be Stars/Mavs playoffs alternating every night. Greatness!
Old 04-18-2006, 01:35 PM   #22
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

OLN is gay and needs to blow up. I heard that too. BADRadio P1
Old 04-19-2006, 12:28 AM   #23
ames7
Diamond Member

FYI, from Andrews Stars Page:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrews
Stars update: Dallas will open the playoffs Saturday afternoon at 2 pm. The game will be on NBC.
EDIT: First round schedule is up at the official site: http://www.dallasstars.com/homeNewsDetail.jsp?id=5442
Games 1 & 2 are Saturday & Monday. You can kinda deduce when the Mavs will be on from that.

Last edited by ames7; 04-19-2006 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:47 AM   #24
chumdawg
Guru

Wait, whoa, whoa....that means the Mavs schedule previous announced is WRONG! Thank goodness. I hated that 3:30 start for the Mavs.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:17 AM   #25
ames7
Diamond Member

Game 1 vs Colorado is today!! Hurrah! Starting at 2pm on NBC.

Give me... Dallas in 6. Leht's go Stars!
Old 04-22-2006, 02:05 PM   #26
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

to quote the late great Marvin Gaye: "Lets Get It On!"

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 05:24 PM   #27
ames7
Diamond Member

Extremely extremely disappointing effort. Monday just became must-win.

Very concerning... that game was reminicent of the 2004 series. >[ Ruined my day. Mavs need to have a great game tomorrow to save the weekend.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:30 PM   #28
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Marty just loaded another ton of bricks onto that load on his back.....ugh.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 04-23-2006, 11:49 AM   #29
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

True story... A friend from Austin came down yesterday and we were watching the game. We decided we wanted some beer and as soon as the Stars scored the second goal to go up 2-0 we went out for a 12-pack of corona. I have XM radio so I am listening to the game as we drive to Wal-Mart. Before we got home, the score was 4-2 COLORADO!!!

Needless to say, Dallas completely fell apart after getting up 2-0... Truly sad!
Old 04-24-2006, 02:54 AM   #30
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly haven't watched the Stars in probably 2 and a half years. I just can't get into hockey these days. I don't even know this team any more. I miss the days of Eddie Belfore, Bret Hull, and Darian Hatcher.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:30 PM   #31
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

After the 1st, I was certain the Avs had finished off the Stars...... but then the 2nd happened and reminded me why playoff Hockey is AWESOME!!!!!!!

And... ummmm...... Lehtinen is awesome.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 04-24-2006 at 09:32 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:04 PM   #32
chumdawg
Guru

What the crap is going on??? I watch the Stars get down three goals, then I watch them take the lead. Then I think the game is in hand, as I head towards home from the sports bar. I make one quick stop on the way, and before I can get back to the car it's in OT. GRRRRR!!! Let's go get 'em, Stars. I don't care if it takes three overtimes; I've got nothing else to do tonight. Let's get em!
Old 04-24-2006, 11:11 PM   #33
chumdawg
Guru

Crap the bed.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:19 PM   #34
sike
The Preacha

marty t. = underachiving....

Old 04-24-2006, 11:29 PM   #35
ames7
Diamond Member

A freaking punch to the gut. I'm not even angry anymore... just tired. And sad.

I don't know what they're going to do if this team doesn't make it past the first round. Do you know what kind of contract they've committed to Turco? We're freaking married to him. I can't believe this.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:28 AM   #36
chumdawg
Guru

This game makes my ass want to take a dip of snuff.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:57 AM   #37
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I am done with Turco.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:57 AM   #38
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

This was the most emotional game I have watched all season. Wait, this is the first game I have watched all season. Ups and downs througout then the big let down in the end and one glides by TURCO.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:09 AM   #39
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahhhhhh.......MArty Turco....the Cordero of hockey.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:13 AM   #40
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

HEDBERG< HEDBERG>+< HEDBERG HEDBERG