Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-10-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of
Default Pick your MVP??

I am just wondering who people think should be the MVP so far?? Trying not to be bias, who do you think it should be so far?? I think it would be cool if throughout the season people wrote who they think it should be and if the player changed ..why??

I have to say and I might get some hate for this rite now, but if I had to pick someone in these first 7 games it would have to be Nash in my opinion. Obviously I would like Dirk to be there, but as of now I feel like Nash is having an amazing season and if he continues on like this I feel like he should get it. I might change my pick as we get further down the road and things play out, but for now its Nash.

Who do you think??????
AO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

The award is called "Player of the Month", not "MVP".
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

dirk
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Nowitzki
Old 11-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
thurst0509

thurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to all

KG
thurst0509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Who do you guys think should win the 2014 MVP?
Old 11-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Roddy B.
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

It's gotta be Kobe.

Last edited by spreedom; 11-10-2009 at 03:47 PM.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:02 PM   #9
thurst0509

thurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to all

Quote:
Derrick Rose

Last edited by thurst0509; 11-10-2009 at 05:02 PM.
thurst0509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I was trying to point out the complete idiocy in discussing both questions this early, but if you guys have a real opinion on 2014...Wow. Go for it.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #11
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm more interested in how people will pronounce "2014".
Old 11-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #12
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I was trying to point out the complete idiocy in discussing both questions this early, but if you guys have a real opinion on 2014...Wow. Go for it.
why is it crazy?? Its predictions and I see All star voting has started.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:31 PM   #13
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

If you had to vote right now it would have to be for the first white boy to win three MVP's since Larry Legend.

Steve Nash

Suns are 7 -1, above the 6-1 Lakers in the Pacific. Nash is @ 18.3 points, 12.9 assists, .525 from the field, .486 from three, .926 from the line.

Not saying he is going to win it, or even be in contention in the end. But looking at it right now, it be might be an interesting narrative to watch as the season unfolds.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #14
AO41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
If you had to vote right now it would have to be for the first white boy to win three MVP's since Larry Legend.

Steve Nash

Suns are 7 -1, above the 6-1 Lakers in the Pacific. Nash is @ 18.3 points, 12.9 assists, .525 from the field, .486 from three, .926 from the line.

Not saying he is going to win it, or even be in contention in the end. But looking at it right now, it be might be an interesting narrative to watch as the season unfolds.
I agree
Old 11-11-2009, 06:08 AM   #15
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

7 games is a good marking point for an MVP discussion. Let's also discuss it (making seperate threads each time) after 9 games into the season, 13, 14, 16 and 19 games into the season. But then please no more MVP discussion threads after Game 19. However after Game 25 feel free to bump the Game 13 MVP Discussion Thread and discuss one last time. By then there someone should have the award on lockdown for sure.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 11-11-2009 at 06:14 AM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...ge=dime-091110

Tim Legler likes Nash too.

Why do so many people click on and then post in threads only to complain about the conversation that the thread is supposed to be about? If you don't like the thread - don't click on it and certainly don't reply. It clutters the conversation.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #17
AO41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
7 games is a good marking point for an MVP discussion. Let's also discuss it (making seperate threads each time) after 9 games into the season, 13, 14, 16 and 19 games into the season. But then please no more MVP discussion threads after Game 19. However after Game 25 feel free to bump the Game 13 MVP Discussion Thread and discuss one last time. By then there someone should have the award on lockdown for sure.
with all that writing you did, you could have actually made a useful post
Old 11-11-2009, 11:36 PM   #18
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post
I agree
Gee Ax, I really had no idea you would agree with someone who repeated your thoughts and defended them better than you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Why do so many people click on and then post in threads only to complain about the conversation that the thread is supposed to be about? If you don't like the thread - don't click on it and certainly don't reply. It clutters the conversation.
Those that scoff at this thread in particular are saying more than just "this is a dumb thread". They're saying it's way too early in the year to make any grandiose proclamations about the MVP when barely 10% of the games have been played. In other words, it's a resounding "none of the above" and is one of the most easily defensible positions.

Open this thread in March and you'll see just how silly this is.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #19
AO41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Gee Ax, I really had no idea you would agree with someone who repeated your thoughts and defended them better than you can.

Those that scoff at this thread in particular are saying more than just "this is a dumb thread". They're saying it's way too early in the year to make any grandiose proclamations about the MVP when barely 10% of the games have been played. In other words, it's a resounding "none of the above" and is one of the most easily defensible positions.

Open this thread in March and you'll see just how silly this is.

You can make predictions even before the season starts and that all I called for after about 7 games. AS I said people will probably change their mind as the season goes on and diff players play better or worse and I think it will provide for good discussion why some one thought that after 10 games Kobe should be MVP and after 50 why it might be Howard and after 70 why it might be Dirk. Just saying it provides for good convo.

Its all about predictions and if you dont ant to throw one out then write what you want...

again All Star voting is up 7 games into the season??
Old 11-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #20
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

That's what you gotta learn around these forums when you do something the majority doesn't like you just let it go, don't defend it to no end. You'll end up not being liked around here really quick I guarentee it. The majority of posters here are pretty picky about new topics being made, making sure they have a good point to them. This was a stupid thread, not a big deal we all do stupid things. Just let it go and move on.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 11-13-2009 at 10:58 AM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #21
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

greg oden
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #22
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Drew Brees
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:36 PM   #23
AO41
Platinum Member

Ahh and here I almost believed some of you guys that it was too early to tlak about MVP preditctions..hmmm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl..._com&type=lgns

1. Nash

5. Dirk

10. Jennings
Old 11-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #24
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Today I honestly think it should be Jennings. The Bucks are playing pretty well right now and honestly, is there any doubt this would be the worst team in the NBA without him?
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #25
AO41
Platinum Member

My top 3 would be Dirk, Nash, and Jennings. Not sure in which order thou
Old 11-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure who I'd pick either thou.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:16 PM   #27
AO41
Platinum Member

Heheh you didnt really have to respond Murph, but between you and Chum I know its hard for you guys to resist
Old 11-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #28
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'm more interested in how people will pronounce "2014".
I'm more interested in if the world (or us) will still be in existence in 2014...
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:10 PM   #29
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Nowitzki
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:37 PM   #30
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Its hard not to include Nash in the MVP talks because of his astounding numbers and the fact that his team went from mediocre last year to an early-season best-in-the-west. Phoenix is an average team other than their amazing offense and at some point you have to think their offensive numbers will even out, but if the Suns keep scoring 111ppg, on a league-best 46.2% 3pt shooting then you better consider Nash. He's not the flashiest guy on the list but his numbers are solid and I always hate when flashiness, emotion and gut-feeling take precedence over stats: its why Dirk is so disrespected by the media and guys like D-Wade are so hyped. Nash is putting up amazing numbers while still being as consistent as he's ever been.

Anyway, if today was decision day I'd have to go with Dirk just because he's been so dominant and has willed so many victories for a team with so many injuries. He's got the longest streak of 20 point games, always comes to life in the fourth quarter and has hit a game winner, a game-tier, and a game-ender (dagger) in just the last two games alone and his fourth quarter/OT PER is astoundingly good. He's only 6th in overall PER (Nash is 19th) but his end-of-game PER is off the charts and I think fourth quarter domination should be a major factor in determining an MVP.

I'm a Mavs fan so I admit Im far from objective but Dirk is not only putting up the perennially strong numbers, he's also doing so in dramatic fashion and taking over games more often than any other player during the first dozen+ games.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-22-2009 at 08:43 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #31
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion View Post
I'm more interested in if the world (or us) will still be in existence in 2014...
If the Mavs win a title by then, then I really couldn't care less.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #32
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Its hard not to include Nash in the MVP talks because of his astounding numbers and the fact that his team went from mediocre last year to an early-season best-in-the-west. Phoenix is an average team other than their amazing offense and at some point you have to think their offensive numbers will even out, but if the Suns keep scoring 111ppg, on a league-best 46.2% 3pt shooting then you better consider Nash. He's not the flashiest guy on the list but his numbers are solid and I always hate when flashiness, emotion and gut-feeling take precedence over stats: its why Dirk is so disrespected by the media and guys like D-Wade are so hyped. Nash is putting up amazing numbers while still being as consistent as he's ever been.

Anyway, if today was decision day I'd have to go with Dirk just because he's been so dominant and has willed so many victories for a team with so many injuries. He's got the longest streak of 20 point games, always comes to life in the fourth quarter and has hit a game winner, a game-tier, and a game-ender (dagger) in just the last two games alone and his fourth quarter/OT PER is astoundingly good. He's only 6th in overall PER (Nash is 19th) but his end-of-game PER is off the charts and I think fourth quarter domination should be a major factor in determining an MVP.

I'm a Mavs fan so I admit Im far from objective but Dirk is not only putting up the perennially strong numbers, he's also doing so in dramatic fashion and taking over games more often than any other player during the first dozen+ games.
We don't care about stats, one way or the other.

Give...me....Brandon Jennings!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:49 PM   #33
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If the Mavs win a title by then, then I really couldn't care less.
I'm just going to be mighty pissed if the world does end and there isnt a championship banner hanging from the roof at the AAC
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:30 PM   #34
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Neither Bucks nor Suns will hold up through the season. It'll be Kobe, and LeBron. Howard and Dirk will be in the discussion, as will a couple celtics.

If you really want to pick an MVP right now, I'd be real tempted to try to point out the incredibly useful distinction bewteen MVP and MIP.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #35
cwill747

cwill747 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

1.bonner
2.nocioni
3.kaman
4.murphy
5.lee
6.McHale
7.hindritch