Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-25-2018, 03:33 AM   #1
trukop

trukop is a jewel in the roughtrukop is a jewel in the roughtrukop is a jewel in the roughtrukop is a jewel in the rough
Cool

Hi guys,

You've got a new fan from Spain (Europe). I'm a Real Madrid fan and I'm really happy because Dallas signed Doncic. Best team for him, great city and wonderful fans.

I've seen Luka Doncic since he was playing for Real Madrid young academy when he was a little boy (12 years old). He is amazing, guys. I would like to talk about a few topics:

-In Europe we measure without shoes. He is 6'7. He is 2'01 tall (no shoes). But, he is 19 years old (02/26/1999) and last two years he grew up 1 inch. It's possible that he will grow up a little more.
-In Europe he is an all-around combo player. He can play 1-4 posititions. His best poition is: SG on defense. PG on attack.
-Signature movement. Step back. This movement is an ankle killer. It's very similar than James Harden one.
-Strenths. IQ, rebounds, personality, all-around, pick&roll, easy to get stadistics, passing and face the ring. He has one of the highest IQ that I've ever seen in my life. He sees the basket very easy. He is a huge rebounder man (in Europe one of the best).
-Weaknesses. Defense on small and speed PGs. He is very big and he can't defense guys like Isiaa Thomas for example. However, Dallas is perfect for him in order to hide this weakness. He must to improve his large shoot. He is a very good shooting man, however, he only has 31% three point successful. Is very low but, I have to write that he is a very good shooter on stop feet position. His stadistics go down due to the fact that he uses so much the step back and crazy shoots. In Spain, we call it "mandarina" (tangerine) LOL.
-Issues to improve. Shoot percentage and athletic. I'm sure that Mavericks will give him the best personal trainer and in a short time he we'll have muscles over the muscles
-Player to compare. I've read on USA forums about Luka Doncic seems Lebron James. I don't agree. In my opinion he seems Larry Bird.

Finally, I give you a couple pretty videos.

Is Luka Doncic the new Larry Bird?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RupuylGUy0&t=1s

Luka Donc's highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-t9j71jbp0

Remenber guys. Euroleague + Spanish ACB are >>>>>>>>> than NCAA. And Luka Doncis is Euroleague MVP regular season and MVP F4. And MVP ACB regular season. He won 2017 Europen cup (against Pau Gasol, Porziņģis, Gobert and so on). He won Euroleague and Spainsh ACB on 2018. Third guy to reach a triple-double on ACB history. 2º highest history PIR on Euroleague regular season It's crazy!!!!!
trukop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:36 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trukop View Post
-Player to compare. I've read on USA forums about Luka Doncic seems Lebron James. I don't agree. In my opinion he seems Larry Bird.
LOL, I can live with that...

Welcome to the board!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:58 AM   #3
trukop

trukop is a jewel in the roughtrukop is a jewel in the roughtrukop is a jewel in the roughtrukop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
Welcome trukop!
Great first post and thank you for the info.
Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
LOL, I can live with that...

Welcome to the board!
The comparasion is due to "the bird" was an amazing all-around player with the biggest IQ and a huge personality. Doncic is the same case. However...ths shoot range and % is not the same, obviusly. But I'm sure that Doncic will improve his 3% percentage to around 40% in the next seasons.

Last edited by trukop; 06-25-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:32 AM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trukop View Post
The comparasion is due to "the bird" was an amazing all-around player with the biggest IQ and a huge personality. Doncic is the same case. However...ths shoot range and % is not the same, obviusly. But I'm sure that Doncic will improve his 3% percentage to around 40% in the next seasons.
Yeah, hopefully Luka can put in some time with Dirk's shooting coach, Holger Geschwindner.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:48 AM   #5
trukop

Quote:
Yeah, hopefully Luka can put in some time with Dirk's shooting coach, Holger Geschwindner.
If Shaquile O'Neal could improve his free shoot a little bit with Palubinskas. I'm sure that Holger will improve Doncic's longe range as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqfVN0oQBMw

I'm imagining the current Doncic's step back with a better shoot...oh my god...I'm gonna grab my "Dirk" and double click...

Last edited by trukop; 06-25-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:26 AM   #6
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Pfft, who wants Larry Bird on their team?

Yeah, the euro James Harden is a comparison we've heard a lot. What is somewhat encouraging about that comparison is the fact that Harden is also not very athletic and a bad defender. Gosh, I hope Doncic can defender better than him though.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #7
trukop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Pfft, who wants Larry Bird on their team?

Yeah, the euro James Harden is a comparison we've heard a lot. What is somewhat encouraging about that comparison is the fact that Harden is also not very athletic and a bad defender. Gosh, I hope Doncic can defender better than him though.
Doncic is not a bad defender. He has problems with small and fast PG or heavy PF or centers after pick&roll. But he is very a good defender for the weak side and average global defender. In USA there is a thougth about Doncic and his defence, But his problem is with small people because in Europe he always plays as a PG on atack and on defence. So, last two seasons he has cried when he defended speed people. But it wil not a problem on Dallas. Dallas has got people as dennis Smith or Barea to take PGs.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:28 AM   #8
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wonder if he'll put Luka through those rigorous workouts to help with his conditioning. Have you seen those Dirk squat lunges that he did across the court when he was younger? Must be murder on the knees, but it'll probably add an inch or two to Luka's vertical.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote