Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-14-2003, 10:23 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clemens spares his way into the All Star game

What a load of crap. Zito gets yanked because the A's don't want him to pitch. Clemens gets in the back door.

Too bad.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2003, 10:28 PM   #2
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Last-minute switch news to Zito

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

CHICAGO -- Roger Clemens replaced Barry Zito on the American League All-Star roster Monday, with the commissioner's office saying the Oakland left-hander was unable to pitch.

That was news to Zito, who said he found out he was off the roster while sitting with his All-Star teammates in a hotel ballroom, giving interviews.

"If I had some black-and-white explanation, it would make more sense,'' Zito said.

During the A's 1-0 win at Baltimore on Sunday, the reigning AL Cy Young Award winner threw 106 pitches, getting a no-decision, allowing four hits in eight innings.

Sandy Alderson, executive vice president of baseball operations in the commissioner's office, said Oakland manager Ken Macha and pitching coach Rick Peterson made the decision, and that A's general manager Billy Beane also was involved.

"Barry was informed of that opinion, and acquiesced,'' Alderson said. "That was information relayed to us, and we acted on that information.''

Zito had been in an AL meeting before the session with reporters and said nothing was mentioned to him.

"It has nothing to do with me or my physical situation,'' he said. "I don't know if they didn't feel comfortable with me pitching on one days' rest.''

Zito thought he could have pitched an inning during Tuesday night's game. In last year's All-Star game, Zito replaced Mark Buehrle to start the sixth, retired Shawn Green on a groundout, then was replaced by Eddie Guardado.

"I could have given them more than the one batter I had last year,'' Zito said.

Beane, reached at his home in California, said Zito was told Sunday by Macha.

"The best interests of Barry's health and the Oakland A's going forward were better served by having Barry not throw in the game after his performance yesterday,'' Beane said Monday.

Macha, reached on his cell phone, said he and Peterson spoke with Zito after Sunday's game. The presence of A's teammates Mark Mulder and Keith Foulke on the AL roster factored into the equation.

"We told him that it was prudent he didn't pitch,'' Macha said, "and that the A's were going to have Mulder available for two innings and Foulke available for one. That was three innings from our pitching staff, and that was sufficient.''

Clemens ties for the seventh-most All-Star selections among pitchers, trailing Warren Spahn (17), Tom Seaver (12) and Steve Carlton, Don Drysdale, Whitey Ford, Juan Marchial (10 each).

Many New York Yankees thought Clemens should have been among the original picks for the AL All-Stars.

The only six-time Cy Young Award winner, Clemens plans to retire after this season, his 20th in the major leagues. The 40-year-old right-hander, who last month won his 300th game and got his 4,000th strikeout, was bypassed in player voting and wasn't selected by AL manager Mike Scioscia with one of his picks.

Clemens, winner of the 1986 All-Star game after retiring all nine batters he faced at Houston's Astrodome, traveled from the Yankees' game in Toronto back home to Houston on Sunday night. He wasn't told he was being added until Monday.

Old 07-15-2003, 12:57 AM   #3
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: Clemens spares his way into the All Star game

This makes me furious. In a very short amount of time, Zito will be the best pitcher in the league, and it's not as easy winning games in Oakland as it is in New York. Clemens is washed up, and has been washed up for the past 3 years.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 09:12 AM   #4
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Although I do not agree with how he was put in the starting lineup replacing Zito. I strongly disagree that Clemens does not deserve this or he is washed up or it is easier for him to win games than Zito. Clemens won games even before coming to NY. He has 4000 strikes. Are you kidding me? He could arguably be the best pitcher ever.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:30 AM   #5
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Clemens spares his way into the All Star game

kornheiser on PTI said it best. it should never have come to this. clemens should have been on the all-star team as one of the first pitchers selected. i don't like clemens, but you can't knock the fact that he's had a great career. one of the best pitchers in the game.

MLB yet again looks like a bunch of bumbling idiots. zito had to be told by a reporter that he was no longer playing! great communication. MLB continues to alienate fans. i, for one, love watching zito pitch. hell, he's 6-0 right now in my MVP Baseball 2003 franchise. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

and i have a hard time believing that this was just the A's decision.

i don't know if y'all saw the PTI i'm talking about, but they were discussing so many screw-ups. like how in the hell was dontrelle willis not selected until he was selected as an injury replacement? ridiculous.