Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-27-2021, 02:21 AM   #1
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
KP had a back brace on yesterday.

Anticipate him missing some time
*sigh* At this point, I'm ready to dump him for just about ANYTHING and be done with it. Keeping him just feels like sunk cost.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:43 AM   #2
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
*sigh* At this point, I'm ready to dump him for just about ANYTHING and be done with it. Keeping him just feels like sunk cost.
He is a sunk cost, but I guarantee if the Mavs trade him now they won't get jack and will have wasted a year of Luka being here and Luka is GONE as soon as he can leave imo. The Mavs need to fire Carlisle, go after a big, and retool their defense as well as offense. That's the only way they keep Luka imo. Cuban has a decision to make this offseason - keep RC or keep Luka, and he may not even have that long depending upon how the remainder of this season plays out.

Last edited by turin; 02-27-2021 at 10:55 AM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:36 AM   #3
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
He is a sunk cost, but I guarantee if the Mavs trade him now they won't get jack and will have wasted a year of Luka being here and Luka is GONE as soon as he can leave imo. The Mavs need to fire Carlisle, go after a big, and retool their defense as well as offense. That's the only way they keep Luka imo. Cuban has a decision to make this offseason - keep RC or keep Luka, and he may not even have that long depending upon how the remainder of this season plays out.
This is some major conjecture with no basis in reality. We have no idea what Luka’s thoughts regarding his coaches and teammates are. He definitely deserves a major say as a once in a lifetime franchise guy, however to state that either we keep him or Carlisle is pure speculation.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:31 PM   #4
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
This is some major conjecture with no basis in reality. We have no idea what Luka’s thoughts regarding his coaches and teammates are. He definitely deserves a major say as a once in a lifetime franchise guy, however to state that either we keep him or Carlisle is pure speculation.
I posted an OPINION. Believe what you want. Luka is a winner, and he'll never have problems earning money in his NBA career. He strikes me more as a guy who wants to win and enjoy doing it. The money will take care of itself. Careers have a limited shelf-life. If one has aspirations to be an all-time great, then it is up to that individual to make sure he does the best he can to put himself in the best situation possible imo. For Luka, is that with the Mavs? I have my doubts. People seem to conveniently forget how great Luka is. The past couple of years, guys look a whole lot better for having played with Luka than had there been some other point guard on the team. The same can be said for RC and his coaching. His coaching sure looks a whole lot better when he's got a budding superstar in Luka as well as when he had prime Dirk. jmho

Last edited by turin; 02-27-2021 at 02:32 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:05 PM   #5
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
The same can be said for RC and his coaching. His coaching sure looks a whole lot better when he's got a budding superstar in Luka as well as when he had prime Dirk. jmho
I think that's true of every coach in every sport, ever. The best coaches tend to be the coaches with the best players.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:43 PM   #6
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
This.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:18 PM   #7
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Do you, in fact, understand the difference between a 'sunk cost' and a 'distressed asset'?
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:30 PM   #8
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post
Do you, in fact, understand the difference between a 'sunk cost' and a 'distressed asset'?
I'm certainly open to a new perspective on this, but I think sunk cost fits better where the Mavs stand. We are not getting value paid on this guy and the vibe to me is they aren't willing to let him go for much less. We don't need immediate influx for him so we're just sitting on it hoping he increases his value to better justify what we spent and at that point unless it's still not a great fit here, then we get much more for him.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:53 PM   #9
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It could be either.

The Mavs must feel they have a sunk cost dilemma because they have to decide to continue with him or try to salvage what they can. They most likely won't get the same type of return on him as they invested no matter how long they hold on to him imo. He might not become a complete sunk cost but if they have to give up assets to move him that is exactly what he'd be. This could be a much worse version of TAW if his injuries become so severe that he can't play, or worse, play and make us a worse team.

However if they feel there is high probability they can rehab him back to what he was or better, he'd be merely a distressed asset in his current state.
So you are correct that he is a distressed asset at the moment but the Mavs are certainly in a sunk cost dilemma because it appears that every injury no matter how severe is decreasing his value both on the floor and as a trade asset.

At least that is my understanding of the situation.

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-27-2021 at 02:01 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:41 PM   #10
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Do you, in fact, know the difference between asking an honest question in the interest of discussion and being a condescending ass?
Old 02-27-2021, 06:51 PM   #11
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

I also found a few more interesting tweets

@RicBucher
— Dallas can't contend for a title with the Luka-Porziņģis pairing:

"If they can move Porziņģis, I say you do it. I do not want to grow old with Kristaps Porziņģis' contract."

Mahomeboy Russ
@Home_Brodie23

Replying to
@undisputed
and
@RicBucher
Ric speaking facts foreal🗣Hundred points symbol Porzingis ain’t working out wit Luka and is way too 3pt shot reliant for a 7’3 big man so
@mcuban
might as well just send him our way
@danielrainge
Shamrocksince Luka likes Kemba’s smilling a$$ I think Man shruggingGrinning face with smiling eyesGrinning
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote