Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-25-2004, 12:12 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavs willing to tolerate Daniels' mistakes when he leads team in scoring

Mavs willing to tolerate Daniels' mistakes when he leads team in scoring

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

Even after scoring a team-high 22 points Saturday against the Kings, Mavericks rookie Marquis Daniels still found himself in a heart-to-heart conversation with coach Don Nelson about mistakes.

Five turnovers, also a team high, can be excused this time. Daniels ignited a third-quarter surge that sparked the Mavericks' 104-79 victory in Game 3 at American Airlines Center.

"We talked about some mistakes he was making, like bringing the ball too close to the basket," Nelson said. "He took what was there and really settled down in the second half."

With Steve Nash plagued by foul trouble, Daniels' teammates said he asserted himself like a veteran.

The 6-6 guard hit multiple long jumpers and even felt confident enough to post up Kings guard Mike Bibby.

Daniels finished the quarter 5-of-6 from the floor for 11 points as the Mavericks built a 24-point lead going into the fourth quarter. He was 10-for-20 overall.

Daniels shot 36.7 percent from the floor in Games 1 and 2 at Arco Arena. He said the difference Saturday was that he wasn't rushing his shot, because he felt more comfortable and confident at home.

"I'm kind of on a roll right now, just trying to do it with the help of my teammates," Daniels said. "Once I hit my first couple of shots, Coach started coming to me more and tried to keep it going."

Daniels' performance may be surprising considering the magnitude of the game. The Mavericks trailed the Kings, 2-0, in the best-of-7 series. But Daniels was seemingly building up to a game like this. He averaged 19.5 points in the final 12 games of the regular season after being inserted into the starting lineup.

There was some concern during the season about whether Daniels could handle the point guard duties. It wasn't his primary role at Auburn.

Daniels took over at point guard when Nash went to the bench after picking up his fourth foul with 5:57 left in the second quarter. The Mavericks had a two-point lead at the time and went into halftime leading 49-42.

"He's one of those guys who is similar to Dirk [Nowitzki]," Nash said. "When he plays with the same mental attitude, it's a mismatch whoever is guarding him."
Old 04-25-2004, 12:20 AM   #2
PubaNWO

PubaNWO is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Mavs willing to tolerate Daniels' mistakes when he leads team in scoring

This kid is going to be a very very good player....

an All-Star even maybe.....he's got that calmness about him and a very very effective mid-range game....

plus he's got NO FEAR just like Josh Howard.....with more offensive versatility....

Mavs gotta keep these two.....
PubaNWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 12:25 AM   #3
ashjensen

ashjensen is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Mavs willing to tolerate Daniels' mistakes when he leads team in scoring

he only led in scoring because they took dirk out of the game early and daniels barely scored more. otherwise dirk would have scored the most. but it is annoying that nelly didn't take daniels out when they did fin, nash annd dirk. dirk should always be the one who gets the most points, he's the star afterall. seems like nellie wants to piss people off even more.
ashjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 12:26 AM   #4
PubaNWO

Default RE: Mavs willing to tolerate Daniels' mistakes when he leads team in scoring

Ash you're a bit misguided....

game was far aways over and Dirk would careless about his stats and points....

Daniels had to play to get more experience he's young and a rookie......who else is going to play point guard?
Old 04-25-2004, 12:29 AM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Mavs willing to tolerate Daniels' mistakes when he leads team in scoring

Quote:
Originally posted by: PubaNWO
Ash you're a bit misguided....

game was far aways over and Dirk would careless about his stats and points....

Daniels had to play to get more experience he's young and a rookie......who else is going to play point guard?
I actually agree. One more thing is that Dirk had foul trouble and Nellie wanted him to rest while Nellie had no other choice than to play Daniels. The Mavs are dreadfully low on guards when Finley plays forward (being that Nellie doesnt have Best on the roster and he doesnt trust Delk). Daniels is also athletic enough to take 48 minutes.

Both Daniels and Nowizki had 21 points when the game was out of reach for the Kings. Dirk played a few minutes but there was no point in playing him.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 12:34 AM   #6
ashjensen

>Ash you're a bit misguided....

puba, you're a bit of a moron. you make up some of the dumbest posts i've ever witnessed. misguided is when you thought finley should shoot more than dirk. i pointed out your cluelessness on another thread.

>game was far aways over and Dirk would careless about his stats and points....

i really doubt he could care less. the way it works is the starters rest and the bench plays.

>Daniels had to play to get more experience he's young and a rookie......who else is going to play point guard?

who dosen't play point guard on this team? that's a better question.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:37 AM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
he only led in scoring because they took dirk out of the game early and daniels barely scored more. otherwise dirk would have scored the most. but it is annoying that nelly didn't take daniels out when they did fin, nash annd dirk. dirk should always be the one who gets the most points, he's the star afterall. seems like nellie wants to piss people off even more.
When was he supposed to come out? Nash was in foul trouble early and Daniels had to be on the court then. We don't have Best on the playoff roster and Delk's only time on the floor is going to be garbage minutes.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:38 AM   #8
PubaNWO

Quote:
Originally posted by: ashjensen
>Ash you're a bit misguided....

puba, you're lame. you make up some of the dumbest posts i've ever witnessed. misguided is when you think finley should shoot more than dirk. i pointed out your cluelessness on another thread.

>game was far aways over and Dirk would careless about his stats and points....

i really doubt he could care less. the way it works is the starters rest and the bench plays.

>Daniels had to play to get more experience he's young and a rookie......who else is going to play point guard?

who dosen't play point guard on this team? that's a better question.
Just because you don't fully understand my posts does not make it dumb!!

What if Dirk sprained an ankle in garbage time trying to outscore a teammate???

I'm sure Dirk would love watching the rest of the playoffs hurt on the bench knowing he scored more than Daniels!
Old 04-25-2004, 12:41 AM   #9
PubaNWO

Ash must have lost a bet "on the team's leading scorer" for this game!

LOL
Old 04-25-2004, 12:45 AM   #10
ashjensen

>Just because you don't fully understand my posts does not make it dumb!!

oh i understand perfectly. you're a troll. just because you're inept to my replies does not mean i have to give any credit to your inane diatribes and vitriol.

>What if Dirk sprained an ankle in garbage time trying to outscore a teammate???

once again you missed the point. garbage minutes isn't 8 mins left.
dirk wouldn't need to try to beat him, they were tied. dirk would have casually beaten him like he does everyone else on a constant basis.

don't get too confident with daniels, he's made some very stupid passing errors, bad descisions and still shoots too much instead of looking for others.

>I'm sure Dirk would love watching the rest of the playoffs hurt on the bench knowing he scored more than Daniels!

bwa ha haa anger is a sign of stupidity

end of my replies to your trolling.
out
Old 04-25-2004, 12:47 AM   #11
PubaNWO

I am no troll!!

I'm laughing here and by no means angry!!

When you're up in 20s its ALL garbage time in the 4th!
Old 04-25-2004, 12:50 AM   #12
ashjensen

LMFAO

clearly you have a small penis.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:53 AM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
LMFAO

Clearly this thread needs to be locked and someone needs to be warned.

Am I standing up for Puba?
Old 04-25-2004, 01:03 AM   #14
PubaNWO

Quote:
LMFAO

And why do you assume I'm male??

Silly silly insults.....but

let's be friends and maybe you can find out!
Old 04-25-2004, 01:10 AM   #15
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
LMFAO

WTF???
Old 04-25-2004, 01:17 AM   #16
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Wow, I can now officially say that Puba is not the dumbest person on this site. Ash, try to stop being an idiot.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 01:21 AM   #17
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Back to the matter at hand. Marquid Daniels, for all his strong points, may very well be the worst passing guard in the Association.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:27 AM   #18
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: Epitome22
Back to the matter at hand. Marquid Daniels, for all his strong points, may very well be the worst passing guard in the Association.
What are you talking about, Epitome? Please fill me in on how you came to that wild conclusion!
Old 04-25-2004, 01:32 AM   #19
PubaNWO

I think most rookies are very good at passing off the gate.....

unless you're Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Lebron James, et. al....

but Daniels and Howard are average passers on the break at best......BUT THEY'RE ROOKIES!!!!

Daniels is a 15-20/7/5 guy easy in this league....

Howard is a respectable 10-15/10/4 (blks plus stls) / !! (mad hustle and put back jams) kinda guy....
Old 04-25-2004, 01:36 AM   #20
Epitome22
Golden Member

He's dangerously turnover prone. He has a solid handle, but abolsutely cannot pass the basketball. I don't mean in the black hole sense, I mean, it's probably best he holds onto it because whenever he does try to pass it, the pathetic effort always ends up in the opposing team's hands. He actually has NEGATIVE passing rating so far in the playoffs according to 82games.com He's a 6'6 guard with all the passing ability and subtlety of Bo Outlaw.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:38 AM   #21
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Letting Puba and ashjensen have at each other is similar to those horrendous bum-fight videos that I've heard about.... however, I'd suggest that you guys take it to PMs and leave the threads clear of your pissing match.

Edit.. figured I better contribute to the actual thread:

I think that Daniels' passing has regressed since Nellie figured out he was such a scoring threat. Those first few games he started, he was dropping the dimes like crazy. Since then, it's more like 3 or 4 assists a game.

You know Nellie's in his ear about looking for his shot, and he's a rookie and wants to stay on the court, so...
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 01:42 AM   #22
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Props on that analogy, Rhy....you cracked me up with that one... The brilliance of Lefty !!
Old 04-25-2004, 01:53 AM   #23
PubaNWO

Quote:
He's dangerously turnover prone. He has a solid handle, but abolsutely cannot pass the basketball. I don't mean in the black hole sense, I mean, it's probably best he holds onto it because whenever he does try to pass it, the pathetic effort always ends up in the opposing team's hands. He actually has NEGATIVE passing rating so far in the playoffs according to 82games.com He's a 6'6 guard with all the passing ability and subtlety of Bo Outlaw.
He's turning the ball over more on drives than his passing.....that stat from 82games.com is a crock!

I believe he makes more turnovers based on poor emotional thinking than anything else.....
Old 04-25-2004, 01:57 AM   #24
PubaNWO

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rhylan
Letting Puba and ashjensen have at each other is similar to those horrendous bum-fight videos that I've heard about.... however, I'd suggest that you guys take it to PMs and leave the threads clear of your pissing match.

Edit.. figured I better contribute to the actual thread:

I think that Daniels' passing has regressed since Nellie figured out he was such a scoring threat. Those first few games he started, he was dropping the dimes like crazy. Since then, it's more like 3 or 4 assists a game.

You know Nellie's in his ear about looking for his shot, and he's a rookie and wants to stay on the court, so...
I'm not goin to PM it even at gun point.....it doesn't deserve it!

I've only PM'ed a small but intelligent select few who have been nice enough to PM me first.....adding ash would totally go against those qualities.....
Old 04-25-2004, 01:59 AM   #25
Epitome22
Golden Member

Quote:
Quote:
He's turning the ball over more on drives than his passing.....that stat from 82games.com is a crock!

I believe he makes more turnovers based on poor emotional thinking than anything else.....
You're right Puba. Those guys don't know what they're talking about. And they're lying too!

What a moron

Old 04-25-2004, 02:01 AM   #26
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Puba, so how is it better giving him the satisfaction of airing your pointless interactions publicly?

if topic = basketball, puba speak.
if topic = other posters, puba shhh.

Aiight?
Old 04-25-2004, 02:02 AM   #27
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
LMFAO

hahaha...this is the most shocking post I've read on this board. I agree with Puba, but I have to give ash points for hitting below the belt.

Who would have thought you could have your manhood questioned for disagreeing with a basketball point.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:09 AM   #28
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Dirno your penis is way too large !

(Oh, wait...that's not questioning your manhood.....nevermind....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img])
Old 04-25-2004, 05:59 AM   #29
PubaNWO

Quote:
Puba, so how is it better giving him the satisfaction of airing your pointless interactions publicly?

if topic = basketball, puba speak.
if topic = other posters, puba shhh.

Aiight?
IT's not "aiight" alright?

I can respond to any attacks on me, my posts, or my players.....

and I will do it in an open forum because I have nothing to hide!

Obviously I've struck a nerve since I was attacked in such an unnecessary manner....

And it seems ash is "new" with the low post number....my posts weren't even flagrant towards ash and then all this results....

it can't be that easy....
Old 04-25-2004, 10:38 AM   #30
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Puba,

Nobody on this site cares if you do or do not have anything to hide. Do not perpetuate personal arguments in threads, PERIOD, for the sake of the other members of this board. If it's a player or an opinion you're defending, good for you. Make your case. If some idiot makes a personal attack against you, respond once and move on.

If you feel the need to go a few rounds with that person, do it privately. The rest of us DO NOT CARE, and we don't want to hear it, and that's the point I'm trying to make here.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:59 PM   #31
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Not if you're the Mavs. Remember last year vs. LA Lakers?
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 08:16 PM   #32
PubaNWO

Quote:
Puba,

Nobody on this site cares if you do or do not have anything to hide. Do not perpetuate personal arguments in threads, PERIOD, for the sake of the other members of this board. If it's a player or an opinion you're defending, good for you. Make your case. If some idiot makes a personal attack against you, respond once and move on.

If you feel the need to go a few rounds with that person, do it privately. The rest of us DO NOT CARE, and we don't want to hear it, and that's the point I'm trying to make here.

ok!
Old 04-25-2004, 08:17 PM   #33
PubaNWO

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsman55
Quote:
Not if you're the Mavs. Remember last year vs. LA Lakers?

true!

but that laker team could play defense....solid defense

the Kings can't do that....