Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 08-13-2004, 01:24 PM   #1
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default Pollard anyone?

J O'Neal has been griping about wanting someone big to play center for them. I didn't realize they had Pollard. Maybe a Bradley for Pollard swap might work. Didn't check with realgm though. Anyone willing to get Pollard if available?
Old 08-13-2004, 01:29 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Pollard anyone?

Not to say that I have no interest in Pollard, who could be a nice role player for us, but I'd rather have Shawn.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:30 PM   #3
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Pollard anyone?

simon~ anyone but bradley seems nice right about now!
Old 08-13-2004, 01:43 PM   #4
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

I read somewhere that he's got a $12M over 2yrs left on his contract. So Bradley for Pollard won't work salary wise and moreover why not keep Bradley who knows the system than get a spare center who couldn't get time playing in the East.

TAW for Pollard would work well. TAW might actually get some minutes with Indiana or they could just get insurance coverage for him. For Dallas, Pollard has a year less on his contract and would be an easier trade bait than TAW.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 02:19 PM   #5
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I thought Pollard was a pretty good player till he joined the Pacers.

From Hoopshype:

Plays with heart... A pain in the ass for any center... Will fight for every
ball... Long arms... Outstanding rebounding skills... Loves to grab
the offensive rebound... Will put some few points on the board...
Runs the floor well.

Quote:
Originally posted by: V2M
I read somewhere that he's got a $12M over 2yrs left on his contract. So Bradley for Pollard won't work salary wise and moreover why not keep Bradley who knows the system than get a spare center who couldn't get time playing in the East.

TAW for Pollard would work well. TAW might actually get some minutes with Indiana or they could just get insurance coverage for him. For Dallas, Pollard has a year less on his contract and would be an easier trade bait than TAW.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:40 PM   #6
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Pollard for Booth works. But I don't know that either team gains or loses from the deal.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 02:46 PM   #7
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Does anyone besides me ever get sick of people proposing trades for every shitty center in the league?
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 02:59 PM   #8
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

This is a trade board. We need a center. Nothing is going on. Let people throw their ideas out there. No harm done.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:17 PM   #9
mapape

mapape is on a distinguished road

I agree Simon and Xerxes. I think Pollard would look very good in a maverick uniform and he might be a little tougher than Shawn Bradley and can play many more minutes effectively.

For any posters to say that other fans cant make their opinions about a greatt need for the mavericks like the center posiotion just shows they have to much of an ego problem. Maybe they can get away with that stuff here but elsewhere it is a different matter I assure you.
mapape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 03:22 PM   #10
Simon2
Diamond Member

And this coming from a guy who said

"Let the bitch-ass center trade proposals roll! I can't get enough! "

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Does anyone besides me ever get sick of people proposing trades for every shitty center in the league?
Old 08-13-2004, 03:23 PM   #11
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Pollard for Bradley would be a huge step backwards. If they were including Artest or somebody highly valuable, then it might be a very different story. Pollard never was and never will be as good a player as Bradley is. Pollard is a tough playing spare, but a spare none the less. Bradley can affect the defensive end like few players in the league are capable of. Shawn certainly isn't perfect, he's just better than a spare like Pollard. If we could get Pollard for something like TAW, then shure I'm all for it. Pollard isn't completely worthless. He's just not worth Shawn Bradley in a straight up trade.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:12 PM   #12
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2

Quote:
I was being sarcastic then. I know it's sometimes hard to read sarcasm on a forum. I think you interpreted my post incorrectly.

Sometimes I think people are just so focused on the center position that they think "Gee, the Mavericks need a center. This guy is a center, and he might be available... why don't the Mavs get him?" The fact that that the guy sucks, and that if the Mavs aquired him, they'd STILL have a giant hole at center doesn't seem to matter. Just aquiring centers for the sake of aquiring centers is enough to make anyone happy it seems. But even when we aquire them, the conversation doesn't stop. We've added four backup centers to the roster this year and people still won't stop proposing trades for MORE backup centers. A guy like Pollard is the LAST thing this team needs.

I'm taking a stand. No more bitch ass centers. No more spares. We've added enough of them. I'm drawing the line here.

Propose a trade that makes sense. If you want the Mavericks to be solid at the center spot, propose a trade that brings back a solid center. There's no reason to talk about Pollard, Nazr Mohommad, Stephen Hunter, Loren Woods, etc etc etc. Even if you think these spares are better than what we have, they still don't solve anything. If you start any of these guys, you'd still have the worst starting center in the Western Conference.. and isn't that the problem you are trying to fix? All this does is change the name of the guy riding the pine.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 04:30 PM   #13
Simon2
Diamond Member

The only problem I am trying to fix is boredom before Aug. 24. I don't think Pollard and Loren Woods are in the same class. I really liked Pollard's game when he was with the Kings. Fearless and tough. I like Bradley don't get me wrong, but Nellie absolutely refuses to play the guy. So, I'm trying to give Nellie another option. Aside from Yao, Shaq and Duncan, there aren't any more elite centers out there. Dampier? Unproven commodity.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2

Quote:
I was being sarcastic then. I know it's sometimes hard to read sarcasm on a forum. I think you interpreted my post incorrectly.

Sometimes I think people are just so focused on the center position that they think "Gee, the Mavericks need a center. This guy is a center, and he might be available... why don't the Mavs get him?" The fact that that the guy sucks, and that if the Mavs aquired him, they'd STILL have a giant hole at center doesn't seem to matter. Just aquiring centers for the sake of aquiring centers is enough to make anyone happy it seems. But even when we aquire them, the conversation doesn't stop. We've added four backup centers to the roster this year and people still won't stop proposing trades for MORE backup centers. A guy like Pollard is the LAST thing this team needs.

I'm taking a stand. No more bitch ass centers. No more spares. We've added enough of them. I'm drawing the line here.

Propose a trade that makes sense. If you want the Mavericks to be solid at the center spot, propose a trade that brings back a solid center. There's no reason to talk about Pollard, Nazr Mohommad, Stephen Hunter, Loren Woods, etc etc etc. Even if you think these spares are better than what we have, they still don't solve anything. If you start any of these guys, you'd still have the worst starting center in the Western Conference.. and isn't that the problem you are trying to fix? All this does is change the name of the guy riding the pine.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:02 PM   #14
mapape

mapape is on a distinguished road

Loren Woods is pretty good too. He can block shots and we can always use that. But Istill think Dampier is the deal. Nobody has signed him yet so his price should be cheap. Maybe cheap enough to get Cuban a big steal. I like it.
mapape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:07 PM   #15
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't wait to see madape and mapape get in an argument over Damp. That'll be positively surreal.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:49 PM   #16
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 12:17 AM   #17
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't wait to see madape and mapape get in an argument over Damp. That'll be positively surreal.
Let's see if we can lure them out ...

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 12:18 AM   #18
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote