Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-08-2005, 11:17 AM   #1
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light
Default Daniels not on the playoff roster?

I'll admit to not being an hour-to-hour of the goings on of the Mavs, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed (or even if I missed it as a thread title in a thread not marked "new"), but did anyone else see the statement by AJ after the Spurs game buried at the end of the story (on yahoo sports) that Daniels might not make the playoff roster? Is he serious? Has this been discussed?

I'll also admit to not being the biggest Daniels' fan, but it would seem almost criminal to leave a guy with that type of talent off of the playoff roster. Could he be added back in the event of an injury to one of the other swingmen?
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2005, 11:21 AM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Daniels not on the playoff roster?

Out of the rotation is what AJ had said. Not off the roster. And yeah, it's been noted. He's just not playing well enough to be a regular on this team right now. With 2 capable point guards and three capable swing men (+ KVH) there just won't be minutes for him unless the Mavs get in a blowout.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:25 AM   #3
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I feel really bad for Marquis, but he's done next to nothing to earn any PT during the playoffs. I hope he bounces back next year.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:39 AM   #4
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Playoff Rotation- IMO what Avery will do.
Dirk -40+
Howard - 30
Terry - 34
Damp - 36
Fin - 32
KVH - 20
Harris - 12
Stack- 20
Bradley - 10

All others situational and fighting for any scraps (about 6 min worth), but their won't be many. Bradley won't get his many days. Howard will get more many days.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:07 PM   #5
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

dalmations - I think your rotation is pretty darn close to what it will look like.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:40 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. Those minutes distributions are very believable.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:45 PM   #7
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Dang --- first time for everything. Two people agreed with me on the same day.......I don't believe it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 05:24 PM   #8
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

i concur
Old 04-08-2005, 05:25 PM   #9
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Daniels not on the playoff roster?

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
Dang --- first time for everything. Two people agreed with me on the same day.......I don't believe it.
don't worry, I still hate you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:09 PM   #10
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Hopefully he can get out of his slump in the remaining games, since he will be very useful in the playoffs just look at the HUGE games he had in the playoffs last year.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:37 PM   #11
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Looked like I saw hendu get shawns minutes out there last night during a time when the game was still on. He might be taking away shawns minutes. I''m not so sure that damp can go 36 minutes, he has rarely gone greater than 30 this year. Only greater than 32 last year in his career.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:39 PM   #12
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

If marquis can go in and play defense substituting for howard, he can play, if not he won't get much at all.

That being said I thought he started off pretty good last night but then fell back into isolation ball.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 04-10-2005, 01:39 AM   #13
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

The bottom line is, Daniels has not enough playing time to develop like Harris and Howard have this season, period. He's an extremely talented player, with enormous potential. He's simply too raw and inexperienced because of his injuries, and a talent-filled roster. Last year Daniels was able to explode onto the seen because the team had sooooooooo much offense that he never drew the other team's better defenders, and a wide variety of scorers to pass to, so he was able to play the isolation ball he thrives in. Plus, Nellie just seemed to love playing the guy. That's just the kind of ball he's comfortable with; half-court, one on one, penetrate-and-shoot. This is the kind of ball Tracy McGrady plays, and Quis, at times, plays like a young, inexperienced Tracy McGrady. This is probably no coincidence because Quis and T-Mac are actually very close friends off-court. I know a lot of people have talked about moving him in the off-season, but I really hope we keep him at least for another year. He's incredibly talented; all he needs is to work hard over the summer and learn AJ's system. This guy has all the potential to be a sort of diet T-Mac, or T-Mac light if you will.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 12:03 PM   #14
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Thespiralgoeson
This guy has all the potential to be a sort of diet T-Mac, or T-Mac light if you will.
T-Mac's best weapon is his unlimited range jump shot that looks beautiful and hits at a decent percentage. Marquis has a really hideous looking shot with not nearly as much lift or range. Marquis does his best work with his back to basket...T-Mac rarely posts anyone up. I really want to believe you 'cause having a T-Mac light on the Mavs would be great, but I'm not convinced that is what we have. I think he mailed this season in. He got a big contract. He was hurt a lot, which didn't help. I just hope it motivates him to work on his game in the offseason because with the way he's playing now, he gets no minutes. That said, I think he should be on the playoff roster, but not in heavily in the rotation.

vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 12:59 PM   #15
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

[/quote] I think he mailed this season in. He got a big contract.[/quote]

I don't think it was lack of effort. All year he made beautiful moves to get into the lane, then he consistantly missed 8 foot shots. I think he felt a lot of pressure to produce to earn more minutes, so he missed when he got open, and shot when he should have passed.

We saw a lot of the same thing with Devin Harris early on. I chalk it all up to youth, and think both will be fine with time. Its just this team is so loaded, its hard to get time to play through one's troubles.

The coaching staff needs to figure out how to bring these guys along, because the Mavs are better when they are contributing, and not as good when they are sitting. AJ is having some sucess lately with Harris. He needs to get into Marquis' head as well.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:09 PM   #16
dude1394
Guru

My take is that defenses have figured out that marquis will get into the lane and he will........SHOOT IT! It doesn't make a difference if there are 18 guys in the lane covering, he is still going to shoot it. It was just like Jason Terry earlier this year imo, he would never shoot a teardrop or go ahead and finish at the basket, he was looking to pass so much that the defenses started laying off him in the lane and he didn't have anyplace to go with it and he was turning it over way too much.

Until Marquis starts passing out of those collapsing defenders he's going to continue to see it and continue to be poor. Last year he was an unknown quantity and no one wanted to leave anyone alone (stevie, dirk, fin) sitting at the 3pt line, so they tried to cover him straight up, he eats that up. But Quesy on 3 is not a good.