Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 08-14-2004, 10:13 AM   #1
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future
Default Dallas-Indiana-Phoenix for Marion

How about some sort of three-way deal to get Marion over to Dallas:

Indiana trades: C Scot Pollard (1.7 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.2 apg in 11.1 minutes)
SF Ron Artest (18.3 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 3.7 apg in 37.2 minutes)
PF Austin Croshere (5.0 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 0.7 apg in 13.7 minutes)
Indiana receives: SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 29.8 minutes)
C Calvin Booth (4.9 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.4 apg in 17.0 minutes)
SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)
PG Howard Eisley (6.9 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 4.1 apg in 21.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +9.3 ppg, +3.7 rpg, and +5.4 apg.

Dallas trades: PF Christian Laettner (5.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 20.5 minutes)
SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 29.8 minutes)
C Calvin Booth (4.9 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.4 apg in 17.0 minutes)
SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)
Dallas receives: PF Austin Croshere (5.0 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 0.7 apg in 77 games)
SF Shawn Marion (19.0 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 2.7 apg in 79 games)
Change in team outlook: -9.3 ppg, -5.3 rpg, and -4.4 apg.

Phoenix trades: PG Howard Eisley (6.9 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 4.1 apg in 21.8 minutes)
SF Shawn Marion (19.0 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 2.7 apg in 40.7 minutes)
Phoenix receives: C Scot Pollard (1.7 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.2 apg in 61 games)
SF Ron Artest (18.3 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 3.7 apg in 73 games)
PF Christian Laettner (5.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 48 games)
Change in team outlook: 0.0 ppg, +1.6 rpg, and -1.0 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Dallas--Marion is the perfect small forward to pair with Dirk. Having him means we can do without Howard and Stackhouse and use a three-person rotation at the 2/3 with Finley, Marion & Daniels. Laettner is expendable & Booth isn't a tremendous loss.

Indiana--gets rid of Croshere, Pollard & Artest, the three contracts they are most unhappy about. Booth is the new back up center, Howard & Stackhouse strengthen the 2/3 & Eisley helps at reserve point. Probably need to get them a little more--maybe the Philly No. 1 goes along.

Phoenix--Pollard and Artest shore up the defense, while Laettner saves them a little money down the road and also helps at center. They don't seem to want Marion (beats me why) or Eisley (duh).

SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2004, 11:25 AM   #2
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:Dallas-Indiana-Phoenix for Marion

Quote:
Originally posted by: SeriousSummer
How about some sort of three-way deal to get Marion over to Dallas:

Phoenix--Pollard and Artest shore up the defense, while Laettner saves them a little money down the road and also helps at center. They don't seem to want Marion (beats me why) or Eisley (duh).
i think they want to make sure that amare gets 20-25 shots/game..he was complaining about shots when steph was on the team last year

and this year it could be even worse with joe johnson, quentin richardson,steve nash and marion..they figure marion is the expendable piece because he's still young and they want to get rid of his contract..no way amare will take a back seat at this point..he is on the cusp of being a superstar

joe johnson doesn't go because he still has another year after this season on a very friendly contract
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 12:30 PM   #3
Mavs414

Mavs414 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Dallas-Indiana-Phoenix for Marion

Marion on the block

Being an olympian with a terrific chance of bringing home gold, you'd think this would be one of the happiest times in an athletes' life.

But despite being all the way in Greece Suns forward Shawn Marion cannot escape the trade speculation. Phoenix offered the forward in a potential deal involving Tracy McGrady and the Orlando Magic earlier this summer, and according to reports he has remained on the block ever since.

"I've been hearing that all summer," Marion said Friday after the U.S. basketball team was 40 minutes late for a news conference. "It's a possibility. That's the NBA. The majority of the time you hear about players who just got a big contract. They're the ones who get traded.

"It comes with the territory."

With McGrady ending up in Houston rather than Phoenix there is now talk that the Suns will try to trade Marion for a big man after the Olympics.

Marion declined to place any odds on whether he would be back with the Suns next season.

"I don't know," he said. "You know as much as I do." http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap.php
Old 08-14-2004, 01:06 PM   #4
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Why did the suns insist on giving Qrich that deal when they clearly were in need of a center and surely could have netted Dampier with the contract they gave Richardson?

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 01:57 PM   #5
seagullstalker35

seagullstalker35 has a spectacular aura aboutseagullstalker35 has a spectacular aura aboutseagullstalker35 has a spectacular aura about

i prefer howard over marion.
seagullstalker35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 02:02 PM   #6
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Quote:
If your reason is anything other than contract I would like to hear it.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 02:35 PM   #7
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer Artest over Marion. If you are going this far, Artest needs to be a Mav.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 03:01 PM   #8
seagullstalker35

seagullstalker35 has a spectacular aura aboutseagullstalker35 has a spectacular aura aboutseagullstalker35 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: grbh
Quote:
If your reason is anything other than contract I would like to hear it.
well for one thing hes a couple years younger. no its not by much but technically he is younger. and if im not mistaken howard is longer than marion and tayshaun prince showed that length is a wonderful thing to have. i believe that howard can do just about anything that marion can. they are practically clones. they both rebound very well for 6'7" small forwards. neither are prolific scorers but are good nonetheless. plus the fact that he is a lot cheaper as you say add in my mavs homerism and thats why i prefer howard, it may not be the strongest arguement in the world but i just like howard more. bash me for bein a homer but thats what i believe and im not changing
Old 08-14-2004, 04:20 PM   #9
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Both Marion and Howard are terrific players although Marion does have the advantage as of right now due to his experience and knowledge of the game. With passing years I can see Howard and Marion being very similar if not nearly identical in playing styles as well as capability.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 05:26 PM   #10
seagullstalker35

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dirkenstien
Both Marion and Howard are terrific players although Marion does have the advantage as of right now due to his experience and knowledge of the game. With passing years I can see Howard and Marion being very similar if not nearly identical in playing styles as well as capability.
i completely agree 100%
Old 08-15-2004, 02:43 AM   #11
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I thought Marion is who we all hope Howard becomes. If he does I will be thrilled. That said I will take Marion today (still in his mid to late 20s) over a possible Marion a couple years younger with a better contract.

After all by the time he becomes a Marion typer player his contract will likely be up.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 06:09 AM   #12
FolterKammer84

FolterKammer84 is on a distinguished road

some of you seem to smoke damn good stuff.
marion had a 19 points 9 rebs 2 stls 1.5 block season and you really think you can compare marion and howard or even consider it a better thing to have howard on our team than marion? please give me some of your pot [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
FolterKammer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 09:17 AM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: FolterKammer84
some of you seem to smoke damn good stuff.
marion had a 19 points 9 rebs 2 stls 1.5 block season and you really think you can compare marion and howard or even consider it a better thing to have howard on our team than marion? please give me some of your pot [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Well said. I would be shocked if Howard becomes as good of a player as Marion. Marion is one of the most complete all-around players in the league. However, don't pass me the pot. I pass on grass.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 12:01 PM   #14
seagullstalker35

so your telling me that howard will never be able to average 14-20pts 9 rebs 2 stls 1.5blks give the right amount of minutes. well i believe he can. maybe not this year maybe even not next year but he will. the only thing howard may not be able to do and marion can do is score 20ppg. although howard showed in summer league that he can, but hey its just summer league. so yes i think howard will be able to put up the same stats as marion. 15 pts 8rebs 1.5stls 1blks thats my prediction of howards stats next year. provided he can somehow or another get starters minutes. that line is oddly reminicent of one shawn marion isnt it.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:06 PM   #15
seagullstalker35

heres some per 48 minute stats to give you a lil taste of what howard is capable of.......
17.4pts
2.9 asst
11.1 rebs
1.6 blks
2.08 stls

remind you of anyone?
Old 08-15-2004, 02:02 PM   #16
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

I am not sure if the mavs can afford to do this deal. We lose our backup center and another player that can help our rotation. Also... i am not a big marion fan. I think that he is very similer to antawn jamison... but a little less effective. If we do this deal, Bradley/benga/ppod will be our only centers and we will have almost no trading chips left to aquire another center.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 03:16 PM   #17
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

edit
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 04:31 PM   #18
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Marion is the most overrated player in the league. I would rather have Artest then Marion.

Booth is a loss when you consider that two of our centers have never played a minute in the league. Indiana is trading gold for trash. Not make the josh howard LandA's mad but howard isn't even in the same league as artest. Indiana would only trade Artest for a second tier superstar. Howard will never be Marion because he will never get enough minutes to put up Marion type numbers.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 05:39 PM   #19
seagullstalker35

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
Marion is the most overrated player in the league. I would rather have Artest then Marion.

Booth is a loss when you consider that two of our centers have never played a minute in the league. Indiana is trading gold for trash. Not make the josh howard LandA's mad but howard isn't even in the same league as artest. Indiana would only trade Artest for a second tier superstar. Howard will never be Marion because he will never get enough minutes to put up Marion type numbers.

why not
Old 08-16-2004, 02:30 PM   #20
Drof

Drof is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dirkenstien
Why did the suns insist on giving Qrich that deal when they clearly were in need of a center and surely could have netted Dampier with the contract they gave Richardson?
Not sure anybody attempted to answer this question here. I'm sure it has been discussed elsewhere on the board though.

I think that the Suns offered Q back when most people were assuming Dampier would get a lot more money than they could afford after having given so much up for Nash. It wasn't until Q had signed the offersheet that Dampier's asking numbers started dropping.

I would not be surprised if many Suns fans were rooting for the Clipps to match Q's offersheet so the Suns could turn around and offer that money to Dampier instead. It may not have been enough many to get Dampier straight up anyway, but they would have at least had a good shot at it. I guess the Suns just never thought Dampier would still be sitting out there looking for a job or they were afraid of his reputation.
Drof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 05:34 PM   #21
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

Josh howard is a better fit for the Mavs than Marion. Yes, Marion is the better player right now, but as we keep stating, we don't need another #2 option on this team. In fact with Stackhouse, we have 1 too many already. Howard will board and play D as good as Marion which is what the Mavs need the most. As bad as Howards 3ptr is, it was not much worse than Marions last year. The salary completely goes against what they are trying to do with the salaries also. I would jump at the trade if it was Fin/Howard for Marion/??? as that would make Marion #2 and clear up the logjam at SF and result in an equal money situation. I will not argue that Artest and his D would not be welcomed over either of the other 2.

Stressboy
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 05:47 PM   #22
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Dallas-Indiana-Phoenix for Marion

I would rather have Howard than Marion. Less money, better defensive potential, similar offensive potential. Still young and improving.

Howard has incredible trade value, so you can do better than Marion for him. Part of his value is his play last year, part is his potential, and part is his cheap contract for several more years.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 02:26 PM   #23
BaylorTMW

BaylorTMW is on a distinguished road

Artest would be ideal for the mavs. An athletic 3 that is amazing defensively. Has good moves to the basket. however he does have a BUNCH of negatives, like forcing bad shots and his attitude.

Agree with the Marion is the type of player that we all HOPE Howard can grow into. It isnt a long shot. for some reason, I see marion getting worse from here on out. Dont know why, but i just get that feeling from watching him. I think he has peaked...