Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Congrats Dirk. 2006 All Star

Just annouced officially on TNT as the only Mav on the team.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2006, 07:21 PM   #2
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Awesome, congratulations Dirk. Hopefully we'll get more than one next year after we badonka-donk the rest of the league this season.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:27 PM   #3
greensborohill

greensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the rough

Dirk's My Home Boy!!
Old 02-09-2006, 07:40 PM   #4
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

Ray Allen instead of Chris Paul is a damned crime. And Mello should've had it over Gasol. Good to see Brand get an invite though.

Last edited by HexNBA; 02-09-2006 at 07:41 PM.
HexNBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

badonka-donk? LOL!

I guess Paul will have to settle for Rookie of the Year instead.

Last edited by Drbio; 02-09-2006 at 07:49 PM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexNBA
Ray Allen instead of Chris Paul is a damned crime. And Mello should've had it over Gasol. Good to see Brand get an invite though.
Gasol deserved it over Melo. The Grizz were awesome for a long time, until what's his face was injured and they went on a huge skid.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:11 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexNBA
give me Gasol over 'melo.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:11 PM   #8
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

Could Melo have been on the team over Allen? If so, he should have made it as at least his team has a winning record. Allen isn't doing jack for the Sonics other than posting stats.
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:13 PM   #9
mavs_own

mavs_own is on a distinguished road

4 Pistons is rediculous. Since they get 4 with a 40-8 record, shouldn't we get atleast 2 in when we have a 38-10 record. It's is a disgrace to the East.

I'd take Arenas or Redd over Billups or Rip.

Last edited by mavs_own; 02-09-2006 at 08:16 PM.
mavs_own is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:21 PM   #10
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Arenas over Billups? That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard..

That being said, however... it's insanity that FOUR Pistons made it to the reserves. The Pistons are getting WAAY too much hype, considering they've won NOTHING as of yet..
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:54 PM   #11
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

Nowitzki named an All-Star reserve

08:15 PM CST on Thursday, February 9, 2006

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Being an All-Star never gets old.

Dirk Nowitzki was voted in as a reserve for the Western Conference for the fifth consecutive year by the coaches, and it still gives him a well-deserved warm, fuzzy feeling.

"It's always an honor to be selected one of the top players in this league, especially at the forward spot in the West," he said Thursday. "It's so tough because there are so many good players."

Nowitzki joined five other power forwards - one of whom, Memphis' Pau Gasol, was named at the center position - on the squad that will meet the East stars Feb. 19 in Houston. The others were the LA Clippers' Elton Brand, Minnesota's Kevin Garnett and Phoenix's Shawn Marion.

Guards named to the squad were San Antonio's Tony Parker and Seattle's Ray Allen.

Detroit was rewarded for one of the best starts in NBA history when four Pistons made the East team as reserves: Chauncey Billups, Richard Hamilton, Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace. Boston's Paul Pierce, New Jersey's Vince Carter and Toronto's Chris Bosh completed the East squad.

Billups, Hamilton, Parker, Gasol and Bosh are first-time All-Stars. Bosh, a former Lincoln star, is in his third season in the league after a season at Georgia Tech.

Nowitzki will also take part in the 3-point shootout on All-Star Saturday. He said being at the weekend with Avery Johnson and the Mavericks' coaching staff, which will lead the West squad, and his close friend and former teammate Steve Nash will make for a special weekend.

"We all know Avery's one of the most intense people I've ever seen," Nowitzki said. "It'll be fun to see him there in a more relaxed atmosphere.

"And hopefully [Nash] will get to bring his whole family. It's a crazy week and you're all over the place, but hopefully it'll be like last year and we can get a couple of hours together."

Nowitzki has never been voted by fans as an All-Star starter.

"I don't know who's voting," he said. "Obviously the people in Germany aren't."

---

lol on that last bit. nice Dirk.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #12
DirtyNashty

DirtyNashty will become famous soon enoughDirtyNashty will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs_own
4 Pistons is rediculous. Since they get 4 with a 40-8 record, shouldn't we get atleast 2 in when we have a 38-10 record. It's is a disgrace to the East.

Amen to that, and if you take difficulty of schedule into account, we might have a better record than Detroit does ! Where is the love, I ask ya, where is the love?
DirtyNashty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:53 PM   #13
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs_own
You're crazy. It would be a CRIME if Billups wasn't on the all-star team this year. You can argue Arenas/Redd vs Rip, but the team record is usually the tie-breaker. Chauncey OTOH is the MVP of that team, and has unquestionably been the best point guard in the Eastern Conference this season (arguably the league)
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:59 PM   #14
wescx

wescx will become famous soon enoughwescx will become famous soon enough

I'm pretty shocked that Ray Allen is on the team.

Nowitzki, Melo, Marion, Parker, Gasol, Brand and Paul would have been my picks.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:25 AM   #15
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Count me content with the reserves in the West. Based on PER, there were good arguments that could have been made for Allen, Lewis, Melo, and Paul. All four are between 21.6 and 22.5 according to knickerblogger. The tendency is to say that Melo or Paul should have gotten it because of team success, but check the +/- and I'm not so sure. Here are the on-court numbers for the 4 guys:

Allen: -2.2
Lewis: -3.9
Melo: -1.4
Paul: -2.3

Team records aside, none of them stand out as winners this season, IMO. Allen, who's got by far the best net +/- at +10.6 (Paul and Melo are both negative), is the closest thing to a standout. Though really, if winning percentage is going to be a major criteria (as opposed to merely a tiebreaker) in the selection, then I think you have to give Josh or Cassell that last spot.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:19 AM   #16
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
Awesome, congratulations Dirk. Hopefully we'll get more than one next year after we badonka-donk the rest of the league this season.
Tracy Morgan is HIGHLY underrated.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:21 AM   #17
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Congrats Dirk. Now win that MVP

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:24 AM   #18
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
Congrats Dirk. Now win that MVP
I am just curious and lazy... When was the last time the MVP was given to a guy that didn't start the All-Star game?
Old 02-10-2006, 01:26 AM   #19
wescx

wescx will become famous soon enoughwescx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
I am just curious and lazy... When was the last time the MVP was given to a guy that didn't start the All-Star game?
Last season.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:32 AM   #20
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wescx
Last season.
Well that was easy enough... Prior to him?
Old 02-10-2006, 01:33 AM   #21
roadrunner
Golden Member

roadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to behold

Congrats to Dirk even though this is becoming old hat for him. Agreed Dirkenstein, next on the list is MVP of the league.
We ran like a simple play, and usually the ball doesn’t come get me until later. So I just trotted through the play and I looked to the ball, and it was already right there in my face. … He sees the floor so well and sometimes he throws the ball and we don’t see it. He’s liable to really throw anything.” Dirk

Kidd to Dirk is the present day Stockton to Malone.

roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 04:04 PM   #22
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Im not a big fan of the team success thing for all stars. For mvps and all nba sure but for all stars let the individuals have it. That is why i dont mind the mavs only having 1 but the pistons shouldnt have had 4. Sheed being on that team is a damn joke.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:04 PM   #23
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

looking at the list, I think Nash was the only non starter in the last 30 years.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:05 PM   #24
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

1970-71 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Milwaukee
1971-72 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Milwaukee
1972-73 - Dave Cowens, Boston
1973-74 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Milwaukee
1974-75 - Bob McAdoo, Buffalo
1975-76 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Los Angeles
1976-77 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Los Angeles
1977-78 - Bill Walton, Portland
1978-79 - Moses Malone, Houston
1979-80 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Los Angeles
1980-81 - Julius Erving, Philadelphia
1981-82 - Moses Malone, Houston
1982-83 - Moses Malone, Philadelphia
1983-84 - Larry Bird, Boston
1984-85 - Larry Bird, Boston
1985-86 - Larry Bird, Boston
1986-87 - Magic Johnson, Los Angeles Lakers
1987-88 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
1988-89 - Magic Johnson, Los Angeles Lakers
1989-90 - Magic Johnson, Los Angeles Lakers
1990-91 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
1991-92 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
1992-93 - Charles Barkley, Phoenix
1993-94 - Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston
1994-95 - David Robinson, San Antonio
1995-96 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
1996-97 - Karl Malone, Utah
1997-98 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
1998-99 - Karl Malone, Utah
1999-00 - Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles Lakers
2000-01 - Allen Iverson, Philadelphia
2001-02 - Tim Duncan, San Antonio
2002-03 - Tim Duncan, San Antonio
2003-04 - Kevin Garnett, Minnesota
2004-05 - Steve Nash, Phoenix

Contact Me
Old 02-12-2006, 12:26 AM   #25
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

If Steve Nash can be the MVP, then so can Dirk Nowitzki. And besides, who's his competition... really??? Chauncey is the only other guy I can really see getting it (another non-starter) Kobe's made history, sure, but the Lakers are terrible. LeBron's been great, yes, but the Cavs aren't good enough either.. Duncan? No... Of course I keep hearing that Nash is the front-runner, but I just can't buy that. Last year Dirk had the numbers and the W-L record, but third in the conference just wasn't enough, and there was very little attention on the Mavs. This year, even though most are still non-believers, there is a LOT of talk about the Mavs around the country. If we finish 1st in the west, I think Dirk is the front-runner. If we finish with the best record overall, I'd say he's virtually a lock.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 12:38 AM   #26
alby
Guru

The argument for Steve Cash is how well he is playing not just without Amare, but also after losing starters Joe Johnson and Q-Rich from a year ago. Noone knew how good Eddie House, Raja Bell, Boris Diaw, etc were. You have to credit Cash for their emergences as NBA players. You have to admit, noone really expected a 33-16 Suns squad at this juncture of the season. IMO, he is playing better this year than last year and if he won the MVP last year then it wouldn't be farfetched if he won it this year. I agree with you however, and I've been saying it all season, if Dallas finishes with the best record in the NBA then you have to give it to Dirk. I mean, if Barkley could win it... =]

Contact Me