Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-01-2004, 06:32 PM   #1
basketball jonessss

basketball jonessss is on a distinguished road
Default Basketball Jones talks Bradley

We can talk Walker, Finley or Nash and say they didn't cut it in the playoffs. But the real reason the Mavs are home watching, is the play of Shawn Bradley. How can a man that is 7 foot 6 play so pitiful in the playoffs. Lets check his line per 48 minutes.

0 points, 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 steals, 0 blocks, and 16 fouls.

Oh, he didn't play but 3 minutes? Why is that?

Coachs decision.......................................... .............................. How frustrating, for the fans and the team. Take a closer look at the coaches strategy. He had the best shot blocker ever to play the game Manute Bol and this man mostly rode the pine and shot 3 pointers. It's frustrating isn't.

Make Bradley the starting center and baring foul trouble make sure he plays 24 minutes or more per game.
Put Bradley in the low post and feed him the ball. No hesitation, no dribbling, nothing but turn and shoot a soft skyhook. He has a tremendous shooting touch, the only way to stop him is to foul him. Unlike Shaq, he will make his free throws. It's so simple, it sickens me to watch him ride the pine.

Bradley brings defense, period. Teams have trouble scoring when he plays. Defense also starts fast breaks. Somebody just once, try it. I'm tired of reading that Nellie is running out of things to try. How about trying the obvious. Nellie himself said that Smallball will only take you so far in the playoffs. Here is an idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TRY BIGBALL
Old 05-01-2004, 07:13 PM   #2
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Basketball Jones talks Bradley

"When Shawn Bradley's skyhook is on, there's not a damn thing any human being can do to stop it."

It is a moot point as Don Nelson will not play him. We just have our hands tied behind our backs while the old man stays put in Dallas.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:40 PM   #3
basketball jonessss

Default RE:Basketball Jones talks Bradley

Yea, I keep hearing that we need to go get Ratlif, Dampier or Ostertag.

My response is that they can take a seat next to Bradley and Fortson.

If I'm Cuban, sorry but I've got to stick my nose in and say play Bradley.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:42 PM   #4
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes because it always works out for the best when the owner has his nose in the sports decision-making.

I mean, just look at everything the raiders, redskins and rangers accomplished last year

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 12:15 AM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Why do they keep Bradley? He's so ill-used and they pay him to sit on the bench. He has a reasonable contract and you could get something decent in return.

Personally, I'd like to see him back next year and logging 15-20 minutes a game in a backup role. Have him up off the bench for a Mark Blount or Ostertag or Okur and you have a good 40 minutes out of your center position.

We're hearing the same talk as last year about a need for a center this summer. The difference (I hope) is that they've never had it glare so much as it did in this playoff run. I don't think Nelson will get away with benching the centers again.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:31 AM   #6
basketball jonessss

Quote:
Originally posted by: Psychedelic Fuzz
Quote:
Yes because it always works out for the best when the owner has his nose in the sports decision-making.

I mean, just look at everything the raiders, redskins and rangers accomplished last year
Well, I'd have to say you've got a better chance with an owner sticking his nose in sports decision making than you do winning an NBA title playing Smallball.

If your house is burning down and the fire chief shows up with 5 men and a bunch of Dixie cups full of water do you grab the garden hose or not? There comes a time when a man just has to step up to the plate. It's that time for Cuban.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:12 AM   #7
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I really feel the Bradley should be starting. He's just wasting his career on the bench. If you put Bradley on another team, he'll be very good. Bradley is a disruptor and he'll get on your nerves if your on the other team. The thing that Bradley needs to do is stop doing his silly antics like purposely entangling himself with another player. BS like that is not needed.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:32 PM   #8
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

I just don't understand Nelson's thought process. If Shawn Bradley were on any other team in the NBA, he would be logging at least 20-30 minutes/game and probably leading the league in blocked shots. As an incredibly effective player, he doesn't deserve to play for a coach like Don Nelson. If we plan on playing any kind of defense next year, giving Shawn some serious minutes would be a plus.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 10:14 PM   #9
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: basketball jonessss
Quote:
Quote:

Well, I'd have to say you've got a better chance with an owner sticking his nose in sports decision making than you do winning an NBA title playing Smallball.

If your house is burning down and the fire chief shows up with 5 men and a bunch of Dixie cups full of water do you grab the garden hose or not? There comes a time when a man just has to step up to the plate. It's that time for Cuban.
Shawn Bradley is good at what he does, probably the best. What Shawn Bradley does is come off the bench, 15-20 a game and dictate the flow of the game when it gets away from where Nelson wants it.
Playing Shawn 30 minutes a game is not the answer.

And regardless of what I think about the storkman's role, Cuban making a basketball decision is not the answer. No good comes of that in any sport in any market regardless. Let the owner overrule the coach on one thing and you are better off just firing the coach, no matter who it is. Why did the raiders fall apart after almost reaching the pinnacle of the NFL? Because the owner was running things and the coach lost the team.

Or a case even nearer to our own hearts: Pop quiz, what is the difference between the Rangers and the Stars...same owner, same town, and yet one is in the playoffs while the other is in the cellar every year. The difference is that Tom Hicks knows that he doesn't know hockey, and hired someone who does.

like I said, regardless of what you think about Bradley, it's not Cuban's decision and it shouldn't be.

edit: spelllin eror

Old 05-02-2004, 10:14 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Nellie making the basketball decisions is not the answer.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 10:17 PM   #11
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
but can we at least agree it shouldn't be Cuban

Old 05-02-2004, 10:32 PM   #12
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Quote:
I hope Cuban knows that. I think he does...
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 10:45 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Of course.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:57 PM   #14
basketball jonessss

Nellie has not lost this team, the players still want to play for him. The Mavs play hard and have not quit on Nelson. Which means it is very hard to replace him. He has 4 seasons of 50 plus wins in a row. Who can you bring in that the players want to play for.

You cannot win a title in this league playing smallball. PERIOD. So Cubans options are as follows. 1) Fire Nelson and upset the applecart. 2) Continue to watch and support something that you know is not going to work. or 3) Sit down with Nelson and tell him to play Bradley and that you will live with the results. Hell at least try it. Nellie has given Bradley one chance. The Mavs started 14-0 in 2002 because players were hurt and Nelson was forced to play Bradley. If I pay the bills, I force him to play Bradley again. AT LEAST TRY IT.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:49 AM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

I WANT Nellie to lose this team. Nellie not losing the team is a bad thing for the Mavs.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:25 PM   #16
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Cuban has to make basket ball decisions constantly. The most important is who will fill the management positions for the team. If Cuban is going to stick his nose in to get Bradley PT, and I'm very much in favor of that, then he should do so by hiring a coach who will do that. The one we have will only see it happen on a regular basis over his dead body.

Playing Bradley = Firing Nellie. Pure and simple.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:33 PM   #17
GermanBlitzkrieg

GermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura aboutGermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura aboutGermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura about

I heard Nellie say Bradley was "hurt", after the Sac game. Anybody else hear that? And is it crap? (I think, probably.)
Old 05-03-2004, 03:48 PM   #18
basketball jonessss

Cuban said the same thing..................... I remember him getting hurt, but I think he played after that and played very well. Not sure though.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:17 PM   #19
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

How can you get hurt playing for 7 seconds?
Old 05-03-2004, 04:26 PM   #20
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Some Bradley playoff stats

vs. Jazz - 27.2 min/game... we win in six
vs. Sputs - 24 min/game... we lose in five

vs. Jazz- 5 min/game...we win in four
vs. Sacramento - 3 min/game... we get blown out in 5

vs Portland - 27 min/game... we win in seven
vs Sacramento - 8.2 min/game... we win in seven
vs San Antonio - 9 min/game (injury).. we lose in six

This season he plays no minues and we lose in five

Conclusion - every time we give Shawn big minutes in a playoff series, we wind up suprising people in the playoffs. Our two best post-season years, in terms of expectations were 2001 and 2003, years in which we featured a strong, imposing Bradley as a cornerston in our playoff rotation.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 05:04 PM   #21
basketball jonessss

I realize that Bradley is the key to our defense, but I still want to know why he is not in the low post shooting soft skyhooks.

I hear that we need to find a defensive center, and I hear we have no one to play in the low post. I say that man is sitting on our bench wasting his career. What the hell is going on?
Old 05-03-2004, 05:19 PM   #22
mavsman55
Platinum Member

Quote:
I realize that Bradley is the key to our defense, but I still want to know why he is not in the low post shooting soft skyhooks.

I hear that we need to find a defensive center, and I hear we have no one to play in the low post. I say that man is sitting on our bench wasting his career. What the hell is going on?
The reason that Bradley isn't in the low post shooting skyhooks is because he's sitting on the bench shooting just about nothing.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:24 PM   #23
basketball jonessss

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsman55
Quote:

The reason that Bradley isn't in the low post shooting skyhooks is because he's sitting on the bench shooting just about nothing.
Nellie has never put him in the low post and used him right, even when he got his 15 minutes.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:51 PM   #24
basketball jonessss

Something else to point out about Bradley, in the 2002-2003 season he was 15th in the NBA in "Efficiency per 48 Minutes". That means he had a very positive effect on the team that is measurable, when he played.

How can you not play this guy?

And what Bradley really brings is defense, the very thing that this team lacks.

You give me Dirk, Bradley, and Fortson and I get past the first round, period. All you need is a ballhandler and another scorer (which the Mavs already have) and this team goes somewhere.

Final conclusion, PLAY BRADLEY. Put him in the low post and let him shoot hooks. No fakes, no dribbles, just catch and shoot. Play man to man defense or zone with Bradley down low. He only needs help if his man floors the ball. This is beyond a no brainer. I don't want to suffer through another season of stupidity. PLAY BRADLEY.....

Old 05-04-2004, 03:55 PM   #25
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

The Mavs need Bradley primarily for his defensive presence. Any offense he gives us is great, but if we get nothing from him but his usual defensive intimidation, then he's worth having on the floor. BTW we're much better off with Big Shawn taking jumpers then AW any day of the week.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:14 PM   #26
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Bradley does need more playing time. I think he got left out this year because of the personnel on the team. The offense and defense were really designed for Dirk to be the C or for one of the shorter PF that the Mavs call a C. Bradley got more playing time last year because Raef was here, and more was built around Raef/Bradley at C.

This is why I think the Mavs need not one, but two Centers signed in the offseason. One Banger like Damp, Curry, Big Z or Ostertag: and one athletic shotblocker like Wallace (either), Camby, Chandler, Ratliff, or Dalembert. Then the offense and defense can be designed around having a Center in the game. This year wasn't smallball, it was "everyone out of position" ball.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 04:25 PM   #27
basketball jonessss

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
The Mavs need Bradley primarily for his defensive presence. Any offense he gives us is great, but if we get nothing from him but his usual defensive intimidation, then he's worth having on the floor. BTW we're much better off with Big Shawn taking jumpers then AW any day of the week.
I agree that we need Bradley for his defense, but I am pointing out that he was the 15th most effecient player in 2002 per 48 minutes. Meaning that there is no reason to bench this guy. Put him in the low post and see what happens. That would put a lot of pressure on the other teams defense.

But yes, I want him in there for DEFENSE
Old 05-04-2004, 04:33 PM   #28
basketball jonessss

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
Bradley does need more playing time. I think he got left out this year because of the personnel on the team. The offense and defense were really designed for Dirk to be the C or for one of the shorter PF that the Mavs call a C. Bradley got more playing time last year because Raef was here, and more was built around Raef/Bradley at C.

This is why I think the Mavs need not one, but two Centers signed in the offseason. One Banger like Damp, Curry, Big Z or Ostertag: and one athletic shotblocker like Wallace (either), Camby, Chandler, Ratliff, or Dalembert. Then the offense and defense can be designed around having a Center in the game. This year wasn't smallball, it was "everyone out of position" ball.
I am certainly not against signing another center, but would be very content to play the players we have.

Bradley should play center for about 26 to 30 minutes, and let Dirk back him up.
Let Fortson play power forward for 30 minutes if he can stay on the floor.

We can always play Jamison a few minutes at power forward if needed.

Old 05-04-2004, 04:37 PM   #29
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather see Bradley out 15 feet from the basket taking that set shot of his and have Dirk on the post than vice versa. Shawn's pretty erratic when he gets the ball down low, but he shoots that 15 footer better than most PF's.

Edit: And we need to get another center on the roster. No question about that.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:08 PM   #30
basketball jonessss

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
I'd rather see Bradley out 15 feet from the basket taking that set shot of his and have Dirk on the post than vice versa. Shawn's pretty erratic when he gets the ball down low, but he shoots that 15 footer better than most PF's.

Edit: And we need to get another center on the roster. No question about that.

I also like Bradley shooting his set shot, it's very effective. The reason Bradley is so erratic in the post is because he trys to floor the ball or ball fake and come up and under. Just catch and shoot the hook, how can they stop it.

But most importantly, we really need the defense.

I would like to get another center also, Bradley is getting lonely on the bench.

Also, Dirk needs to set up in the post more. It would make him even more dangerous.

Old 05-04-2004, 05:14 PM   #31
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
I'd rather see Bradley out 15 feet from the basket taking that set shot of his and have Dirk on the post than vice versa. Shawn's pretty erratic when he gets the ball down low, but he shoots that 15 footer better than most PF's. Edit: And we need to get another center on the roster. No question about that.
I pretty much agree with you grndmstr, but I wouldn't mind seeing Shawn in the Post a few times a game. Especially the high post. With his set shot accuracy his defender has to stick with him and Shawn is an excellent passer from there because of his height. But by and large it should be Dirk in the post and Shawn taking his set shots and diving to the basket on cuts and hitting the offensive boards.

And we definitely need to play Shawn, but we still need another center. Bradley never was and never will be a 40 minute a game player. It would be unfair to ask that of him. However we need to play him regularly and for at least 20 minutes per game on average. I'm sick of the Nellie S#!tty underdog ball.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:31 PM   #32
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
but I wouldn't mind seeing Shawn in the Post a few times a game. Especially the high post.
Definitely with you on that. His tendency to bring the ball down low is less of an issue, like you said he's got the shooting range and passing ability to be effective there, and he's a pretty significant screen for defenders to fight around. You'd think he and AJ could be an effective offensive combination in that respect.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:51 PM   #33
basketball jonessss

I'm sick of the underdog ball also. Playing a big lineup has never even been tried, that's what sickens me. HELL JUST TRY, ONCE.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:56 PM   #34
GermanBlitzkrieg

GermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura aboutGermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura aboutGermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura about

One thing that everybody needs to understand: the fact that Bradley is still playing after 10 years is a miracle, in and of itself. I'm not a Dr., but from what I understand people that large often develop many health problems, and at an early age. I like Big Shawn a lot, but we need another center in here pronto. Amnd maybe a developmental type too. My projection: Shawn wont be playing, or in name only, within 3 years. Maybe 2 good years left. Maybe. WHAT A WASTED CAREER. THANKS NELLIE.