Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-30-2005, 11:41 AM   #81
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

anyone going to the Big XII Championship this weekend? I'll be there bright and early grilling and drinking if anyone's interested...
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2005, 11:26 PM   #82
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Anyone still think Vince has a decent shot at the Heisman after the 500 yard game the media can't stop talking about. Maybe VY will get 1,000 yd's with 10 TD's this weekend if Mack won't pull him at half
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:00 AM   #83
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Vince is getting screwed out of the heisman but its ok. Vince has already had his own 500 yard game but it came too early. Oh well. Bush is awesome too though so I dont mind. I still think if you make their coaches pick one of the either him or Leinart that they have to get rid of I GUARANTEE you they get rid of bush. Obviously because they have white but even without him I think bush is more replaceable than Leinart.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:10 AM   #84
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Yeah VY did have his own 500-yard game but a qb racking up yards just doesn't excite voters as much as a RB racking them up, especially while bringing his team back, single handily. Unless VY has a HUGE game Bush basically screwed VY's out of the heisman with 1 game even though VY has done it all for Texas all season long.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:17 AM   #85
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Well if he had rushed for 500 yards you would be right but return yards are really easy to get when you get 8 KO returns. A terrible kick returner can average 23 yards a return and that comes out to 184 kr yards which makes your ap yards look great but not that big a deal. I do agree that Bush is more than likely gonna win and he did have a great game but all purpose yards are overblown. Derrick Mason lead the NFL in all purpose yards a couple of years ago.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:11 AM   #86
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

True, but about 300 yards rushing, 70 receiving, and a punt return for a TD is still pretty impressive. The 10 yards a carry is what the media is pointing to, along with the 500 yd game of course. That's pretty unfair for VY who basically has been Texas while leading them to an undefeated record so far. The Heisman is now all about what entertains the voters instead of who actually is more valuable to their team like it should be IMO. Vince Young basically needs Texas to comeback after being down 14 in the Big 12 championship game and have around 700 yards to catch up to Bush .
Old 12-02-2005, 01:40 AM   #87
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

You HAVE to finish strong to win the Heisman, IMO. VY is already out of the running.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:59 AM   #88
Five-ofan
Guru

Well since he is at worst 3rd being generous than the race is over.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:35 AM   #89
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

yeah its over. Bush is the clear winner.
You'd have to watch there games to see that he Is the only reason they're undefeated. When they need something, he comes up big.
VY is the same for UT, but he is less exciting, and the BIG 12 is down, so his accomplishments are deminished.
The Heisman is about BIG spotlights plays, for spotlight teams, and Bush and USC' light is brighter.
to bad they can't put the vote off until they face off, then there'd be a clear winner
Old 12-02-2005, 09:49 AM   #90
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, it's not necessarily about what you've done but when you do it. Since Bush had the major explosion at the end of the year, his performances are fresher on voters minds. I wouldn't say that he's 'more exciting' than Vince Young.

If VY were to have a tremendous game this week and Bush were to have a poor game, it could quickly change the balance again. Heisman voters are fickle. It's 'what have you done for me lately'. With that being said, I don't think that Bush has a bad game this week.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 09:48 PM   #91
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

i agree murph - to add, i don't think bush has a bad game, i think he has a great game, but i also think they'll need a great game for USC to win. VY should have a great game too, but they might not need it to pull a big win. THAT's gonna be the difference - voters will then feel bush is more valuable. personally, i guess i don't really care. i'm even hoping a little that bush wins the heisman, VY and the Texas squad get ticked off about that, and go in with a point to prove in the Rose Bowl.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:13 AM   #92
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I am probably wrong, but I thought conference title games and bowl games do not count in the Heisman voting?

If this is the case then, VY can not help his cause this weekend, only Bush can hurt his.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:38 AM   #93
Five-ofan
Guru

All games count until the voting has to be in. The voting has to be in before bowl games so they dont count.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:00 AM   #94
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Oh..

so there is definitely still a chance
let's hope Colorado keeps is a close, high scoring game...
and let's hope Bush fumbles the ball 3 times in a Trojan loss =]

Contact Me
Old 12-03-2005, 02:30 PM   #95
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

5-0 is correct. these games count.

Vince Young has been pretty good today and Texas is just kicking the crap out of Colorado.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:12 PM   #96
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Amazingly enough, 15% of the votes were already in before kickoff today. How idiotic is that sending in your Heisman votes before the regular season is over? Anyone that does this should have their vote taken away because they obviously do not take the voting process seriously.

Last edited by Murphy3; 12-03-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:49 PM   #97
Five-ofan
Guru

I dont think he did enough to get over all of bush's hype but he did all he could. Its just tough when you win 70-3 to really do anything spectacular.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:04 PM   #98
Drbio
Banned

UCLA is toast.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:29 PM   #99
alby
Guru

okay, Reggie is definitely the best player in college football. maybe ever.

are you guys watching the first half of the usc ucla game? wow.

vince lost me 100 bucks

Contact Me
Old 12-03-2005, 05:30 PM   #100
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

The Big 12 North is just pathetic if that's the best they can send to the conference title game. Reggie Bush has something like 200 yards rushing already with 40:40 still left in the game! Good lord...
Old 12-03-2005, 05:31 PM   #101
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
okay, Reggie is definitely the best player in college football. maybe ever.

are you guys watching the first half of the usc ucla game? wow.

vince lost me 100 bucks
He's already the best high school football player ever. And I don't think there's a running back in the NFL that's better than he is. The man's just a beast. He's on a completely different level.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:49 PM   #102
alby
Guru

the one thing that I think may hinder him in the NFL is whether or not he can play the whole game, because at USC he only gets about half the snaps on offense. But midway through typing that sentence, I realized that he plays in all the special team plays as well, so yeah nevermind...

Reggie Bush = superman

Contact Me
Old 12-03-2005, 05:51 PM   #103
Drbio
Banned

Bush is averaging over 12.5 yards per carry in the first half. My goodness.

If your name is Bush you just get elected. Bush certainly won the Heisman today.

The only thing that stopped him that time was the end zone. wow.

Last edited by Drbio; 12-03-2005 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:54 PM   #104
alby
Guru

Who is going to get the #1 pick?

because this guy can definitely turn an entire franchise around IMO.

Contact Me
Old 12-03-2005, 05:57 PM   #105
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

If they let him play this entire game, he'd rush for well over 400.

"We're not worthy. We're not worthy."
Old 12-03-2005, 07:55 PM   #106
Five-ofan
Guru

Never mind.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 12-03-2005 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Im stupid.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:23 PM   #107
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark
He's already the best high school football player ever. And I don't think there's a running back in the NFL that's better than he is. The man's just a beast. He's on a completely different level.
Here is a NY Times article that includes Reggie Bush's Helix High highlight video
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/30/sp.../30reggie.html

The video is under his picture on the left.

From the article-
When Bush was 9 years old, his stepfather put him in a Pop Warner league because the boy was too hyper to keep around the house all the time. In the first game, Bush reportedly finished with 7 touchdowns and 287 yards. In the second game, he had 8 touchdowns and 544 yards. "I couldn't believe what I saw," said his stepfather, Lamar Griffin.

His first two football games ever and he had 800+ yards and 15 touchdowns.
Maybe the best Pop Warner player ever too, Haha
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:38 PM   #108
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

LMFAO! That's incredible.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:50 AM   #109
Five-ofan
Guru

Bush is great but lets remember that UCLA is terrible defensively. That said, Wow. Just Wow. The man is a beast. As for best high school running back ever I would go with Benson. 3 time 5a player of the year will never be done again. EVER. Ken Hall would have to be up there too just on numbers alone. As for college Bush is not even close to the best college player ever. Go watch Barry Sanders film. He only played for 1 year and I dont think he was as good as Emmitt in the pros but good lord he was amazing in college. Bush is 1 of the most exciting college football players ever. He isnt top 10 of all time as far as best players, they are different. I feel terrible trying to to make an argument against him after this game and I dont have a problem with him winning the heisman this year but he isnt even the best player on his team as far as all time best college football players would go. Just step back a little. That said as a UT fan, I am scared to death of him. Huff and Harris I hope to god you are ready because you are UTs only hope at stopping him.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:54 AM   #110
Five-ofan
Guru

LT, Alexander, and James is all I will say about NFL running backs being better than him. I think there are others that are better too. He is a stud though. I am gonna go out on a very very thin limb and say I think White will be better in the pros. Unless Houston gets the first pick anyone that takes him instead of leinart is just crazy.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:57 AM   #111
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

I don't even know where to start...just...wow. WHAT?

Okay...UCLA's defense is bad, no doubt about that. But Oklahoma St's isn't much worse. Vince is a badass for the numbers he put up against ok st but don't be misled by bush's game against UCLA? Is that how it works?

I know that Bush's NUMBERS don't stack up to the rest, but I've just never seen another player that stood out from the pack like he does. But are you incinuating that Bush is not as good as Leinhart? Jaw-dropping passing statistics from QB's happen all the time. ALL THE TIME. Statistics don't mean jack. If an NFL team needed both a QB and a RB...and Bush and Leinhart were both available...the Houston Texans would probably be the only ones that would choose Leinhart.

Bush will win the Heisman. No other decent back currently in the NFL has won one. He is, without a doubt, the best RB coming out of college since LT and is a much more versatile player. He'll go top 3 no doubt...LT went 6.

White, to me, is just solid. He's a Steven Jackson. Nothing spectacular, but a solid player. Bush is a superstar. Now. He'll be one for another 7 years. The guy can do anything. Punt returns, kickoff returns, WR, RB, HB...dude could probably kick field goals.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:42 AM   #112
alby
Guru

Bush is no doubt the best player in college football.

Contact Me
Old 12-05-2005, 07:15 PM   #113
Five-ofan
Guru

He is the best player in college football THIS YEAR. Im not arguing that but he is nowhere CLOSE to the best player of all time. I will go out on a very very thick limb and say that leinart has a better pro career. Oklahoma states D is almost as bad as UCLAs no argument.

Im not saying he shouldnt win the heisman. I even said in my post he should win the heisman. He is not more versatile than LT. LT had 100 catches. Ricky Williams was also a better COLLEGE player than Bush. Im not going only on statistics but you should really look at sanders stats. He was better than bush has been for BOTH of the last two years COMBINED. If you included his bowl stats that year he ran for more than 2800 yards. Just because Bush is more exciting which I really dont think he is more exciting than VY and he definitely isnt more exciting than Sanders was, he is NOT the best college football player ever. White reminds me more of Larry Johnson and Johnson is also one of the nfl backs better than Bush. Bush is amazing this isnt meant to be a knock on him but everyone is too close to the situation right now. Wait a year and you will all remember that hey five-ofan was right. Bush isnt the greatest college football player ever. He had 1 great year and that 1 year isnt one of the greatest of all time.