Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 02-23-2005, 03:24 AM   #41
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Ticket reporting that Drew Bledsoe is now a Cowboy

Sikey, I think they said there was supposed to be a press-y tomorrow (later today, actually, at this hour).

I'm not sure how this will affect Bledsoe's contract, but one interesting note I heard on ESPN radio is that the Cowboys will be able to sign Bledsoe before the March 2 open of free agency since they actually have cap money still from 2004. Perhaps they can structure the contract in a way that preserves maximum space for 2005?

Dirno, it will be revealing to see the details of the contract. If it's for less than the numbers you worry about, would it not be a positive sign that Bledsoe was willing to take himself off the market--apparently a seller's market--so quickly in order to play for a certain coach? Word is that Bledsoe was none too impressed with the Bills brass.

One thing for sure: this will be a make-or-break move for Parcells. His legacy may well be on the line here in Dallas. Either he goes down as the coach who couldn't get his head out of his ass when it came to signal callers, or he goes down as the mad genius whose insight into the position went far beyond that of his would-be peers.

For my money, I'm banking on the latter. I can't forget Jeff Hossteler, Ray Lucas, and Quincy Carter. When you can win with guys who nobody else wants, you just may have a firmer grasp of the overall picture.

On mobility...how mobile is the All-Universe Peyton Manning? How mobile is Tom Brady?

What does Bill Belichik want from a quarterback? What does Bill Parcells want from a quarterback? Do these guys possibly know more about winning football games than the average media hack?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2005, 04:03 AM   #42
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all
Default RE: Ticket reporting that Drew Bledsoe is now a Cowboy

I just don't get the direction of this team. Frankly, I wanted Jones to hire the guy who went to Cincy instead of Parcells. I think with this signing the Cows have got to go out and get some better receivers like Mason and Coles. They are also going to need to invest in some good qb insurance because Bledsoe is likely to get busted up pretty good during the season. I wouldn't have a problem with signing Bledsoe if it would have been a few years ago. Right now, he isn't very good. I heard on the radio that its been 7 years since he led a team to the playoffs......7 years!!!! I think the telling line is that he couldn't win games with the Patriots before getting injured and Brady took over and couldn't lose. I think Parcells is an excellent coach; however, somebody else seriously needs to shop for the groceries when he's around. I think he is building a team to lose now and lose in the future. If he wanted veterans so badly then why in the hell did they trade that draft pick for Henson. When you start tallying up his actions he makes John Hart look like a man with a plan. I am starting to wonder if Parcells actually wants athletically gifted players. I am thinking that if you run a little to fast that you can't make this squad. This guy really, really likes old slow players. Unfortunately, old and slow works well for college professors but not for professional football players.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 08:58 AM   #43
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't hate the move. I don't like it, but I don't hate it. The guy can at least make all the throws. Didn't we hear that last season with Vinnie?

Anyways, the guy fumbles WAY too much. His TD to INT ratio isn't good and hasn't been good often in the past 5 years or so. He takes alot of sacks. He panics in the pocket.

Besides that, I like what he brings to the table. IF his protection is superb, he can be a very good QB.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:22 AM   #44
Frost

Frost is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry but the direction the Cowboys aka Bill Parcells are/is taking is ridiculous. What he needs are some new Parcells guys instead of the ones who are like 35-40 years old and are for the most part past their prime.

Frankly, I hate the Bledsoe move...what is that telling Henson and Romo..."hey you guys stay here at Valley Ranch and work out and get better but we're still gonna sign someone who's going to be a starter next year."

I think the problem is that Bill Parcells is going by his own time frame (2-3 seasons to win Super Bowl so go ahead and load up with veteran talentt) instead of looking ahead and building a solid young team capable of being competitive for several years beyond 2-3 years.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:41 PM   #45
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Drew Bledsoe will paint the Texas Stadium turf red with the blood of our enemies. The man is an assasin. This signing wins us 5 more games next year. 11-5. Mark it down.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:51 PM   #46
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Quote:
I just hope they didn't spend more than 3 million on him.
This is what worries me. He signed so quick that he had to get 1) More money or years than he's worth 2) A promise that the starting job would be his 3) Both.
I'm hoping it's 2 rather than all of the above. It was a bit wierd how he signed only a day after he was cut. You mean to tell me there were no other takers for him? If there was then like you said he recieved a deal he couldn't refuse.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:58 PM   #47
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Drew Bledsoe will paint the Texas Stadium turf red with the blood of our enemies. The man is an assasin. This signing wins us 5 more games next year. 11-5. Mark it down.
What about the games we won because of luck last year? That brings us right back down to the 5-11 mark.

1996-2005
Old 02-23-2005, 02:15 PM   #48
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
On mobility...how mobile is the All-Universe Peyton Manning? How mobile is Tom Brady?
I think Vinney and Drew get slaughtered by Manning and Brady in a relay race.

More importantly, Manning and Brady read defenses faster then any quarterback in the league.

I don't know if you heard Woody on the Ticket last week when they asked him about Bledsoe. He basically said he's the same QB that Vinney is and you just blitz them into submission because you know where they'll be.

To be fair, we did need to sign a vet and Drew is just as good as any other vet in this weak market...i just hope he hasn't been handed the job on a silver platter.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:34 PM   #49
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they needed to sign a vet. However, they needed to sign a vet that would be ok with possibly being the backup.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:43 PM   #50
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Yes, they needed to sign a vet. However, they needed to sign a vet that would be ok with possibly being the backup.
Which is why I almost would have preferred Vinny after his agent indicated that he'd have no problem mentoring the young guys as a backup.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #51
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
To be fair, we did need to sign a vet and Drew is just as good as any other vet in this weak market...i just hope he hasn't been handed the job on a silver platter.
And this is ultimately where my objections lie - does Bill give Henson a fair shot going into the season? I doubt it.

Drew Henson deserves consideration. If ever Jerry had a right to meddle in the operation of his team it's now.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #52
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I just hope Henson will get time this year in blowout games.....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:16 PM   #53
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Well, Bledsoe has been promised the starting job....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2005, 04:22 PM   #54
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

I got no problem with Henson not playing if they are trying to develop him slowly. I got a problem with signing over-the-hill free agents to plug holes when you have a team that is in dire need of youth and athleticism. If the Cows were competitive Drew would certainly make some sense, unfortunately I think they may be the worst team in the division this year. This guy needs to be on a veteran laden team full of athletic players, especially at receiver. This team seems to be a mess right now. Hey Bill, find a direction and stick to it. I think it really looks like when Bill takes his ego and goes home the Cows will be in for another 4 to 5 year rebuilding plan. This guy is making me long for the good old days of Campo. At least with Campo the team played hard and had talent with a lot of speed and upside. Now, other than a few players this team just plain sucks. The Cows don't look like a team with a future at the moment.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:44 PM   #55
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

So what does this mean for Henson? Is he gonna be a career backup here or what? Bledsoe is not an elite quarterback in this league. Though we are weak at the qb spot he should have to earn it. Atleast give Henson a chance.

1996-2005
Old 02-23-2005, 06:45 PM   #56
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Good God! When will the Pacells reuniting of all his former players end?!?!?

I hate this move. Parvells doesn't want to coach the Cowboys in 2005-2006. He wants to get in Doc Brown's delorean and transplant all of his players and bring bring them back to 2005-2006. The problem is they have all aged and sucked.

At least Chan and Dave were honest with their team and tried to fix the problem. Parcells doesn't even want to do that.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:20 PM   #57
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Apparently Drew only got 12MM over three years with a 2MM signing bonus...by no means a crippling contract.

If those numbers are correct, that's great news.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:12 PM   #58
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

I like the move. Sure his mobility sucks, but he WILL make all the throws. WE heard that about Vinny, but IMO I thought he missed a lot.
AND One thing Bledsoe guarantees is that Bill will try and sure up the right side of the line.
Also, I am not ready to see Henson anyways. He hasn't done anything to cause all the admiration he is getting. And when he finally impresses the coaches, he'll get in.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:01 AM   #59
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I like him in an interview.....have not payed too much attention to him lately.....he just seems a bit like Troy in an interview.....now if that could just translate....

is it just me or did Drew Bledsoe seem like he was a guy who would never be a Cowboy?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 02-24-2005, 01:22 AM   #60
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
is it just me or did Drew Bledsoe seem like he was a guy who would never be a Cowboy?
Harold Carmichael, Randall Cunningham, Ryan Leaf, Drew Bledsoe
Old 02-24-2005, 01:25 AM   #61
sike
The Preacha

I'll take that as a "yes"

Old 02-24-2005, 01:28 AM   #62
dirno2000
Diamond Member

All players I never expected to see wearing the star...hopefully Drew has a more memorable stay the the previous three.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:41 AM   #63
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Anybody watch the Outside the Lines tonight?

Ed Werder hinted that the Cowboys would be "very aggressive" when the free agent signing period starts. They grilled Jerry about the move and his relationship with Parcells and then moved on. The panel featured Brad Sham, Kevin Blackistone, and another guy all commenting on the Bledsoe signing. The other guy (victor?) mentioned how Bledsoe will be better with Parcells breathing down his neck. Sham was upbeat about the team's potential - of course he's on the payrole. And Blackistone - who I despise - painted the same gloomy Cowboys picture he always does.

So the "experts" were 2-1 for it.

I am still upset about the signing, especially the money, but I've calmed down considerably. I will try to reserve judgement until the draft. And although It pains me to say it, I still trust in Big Bill.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:43 AM   #64
sike
The Preacha

the money??? its not a bad deal at all.

Quote:
Ed Werder hinted that the Cowboys would be "very aggressive" when the free agent signing period starts.
so, who are they going after? any strong inclinations?

Old 02-24-2005, 01:47 AM   #65
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Unless Mickey Spagnola is dead wrong, we're paying him peanuts by starting QB standards. The contract is backloaded with a 2MM signing bonus.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:48 AM   #66
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
the money??? its not a bad deal at all.

Quote:
Ed Werder hinted that the Cowboys would be "very aggressive" when the free agent signing period starts.
so, who are they going after? any strong inclinations?

great question, sike.

Old 02-24-2005, 02:21 AM   #67
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
Good God! When will the Pacells reuniting of all his former players end?!?!?

I hate this move. Parvells doesn't want to coach the Cowboys in 2005-2006. He wants to get in Doc Brown's delorean and transplant all of his players and bring bring them back to 2005-2006. The problem is they have all aged and sucked.

At least Chan and Dave were honest with their team and tried to fix the problem. Parcells doesn't even want to do that.

And we never get the Parcells guys who are still any good. We go after the Parcells guys that other teams don't want. Whatever happened to guys wanting to play for Dallas?

1996-2005
Old 02-24-2005, 02:58 AM   #68
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Unless Mickey Spagnola is dead wrong, we're paying him peanuts by starting QB standards. The contract is backloaded with a 2MM signing bonus.
Which means if we cut him loose after this year we'll only be out the bonus and $___?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:01 AM   #69
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike great question, sike.
exactly.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:04 AM   #70
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like another ridiculous "parcell guy" being brought in here. I'm seriously starting to wonder if parcells can judge talent at all.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:00 AM   #71
Murphy3
Guru

After seeing the contract, I like this deal a bit better.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:17 PM   #72
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
After seeing the contract, I like this deal a bit better.
absolutly....the money was not bad at all....

Old 02-24-2005, 03:02 PM   #73
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: capitalcity
Quote:
Which means if we cut him loose after this year we'll only be out the bonus and $___?
The bonus is prorated over the length of the contract so if we cut him after this season, he'd only count roughly 1.33MM against the cap and we wouldn't owe any more of that backloaded salary.

Old 10-18-2005, 09:05 AM   #74
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
the words of the ape have never been so prophetic.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:45 AM   #75
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

heh
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:47 AM   #76
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, so far so good, but let's work on keeping him alive now that Flozell's out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:57 PM   #77
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

3rd in the league in passer rating, third in touchdowns. Every QB needs time in the pocket. Tucker will do fine this week in Seattle.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:42 PM   #78
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Watching the Sunday night and wondering how Buffalo must feel about choosing JP Losman over Bledsoe and now Kelly Holcomb over Losman.

Not too good, I wouldn't think.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:18 AM   #79
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

I don't think he would've signed the same deal with the Bills and I can't really fault them for choosing a younger prospect in Losman over Bledsoe. But having Holcomb start for you rather than Bledsoe is unexplainable.

1996-2005
Old 10-31-2005, 02:22 PM   #80
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
3rd in the league in passer rating, third in touchdowns. Every QB needs time in the pocket. Tucker will do fine this week in Seattle.
I was thinking about this. Buffalo may have the worst O-line in the league talent-wise. Somehow, they are convinced it is great. SMU has the former Bills O-line coach (don't ask me how he ended up at SMU). They let him go because they were convinced he was the problem. Clearly, he wasn't. Buffalo leads the league in sacks allowed and negative runs nearly every year.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote