Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-19-2005, 03:01 AM   #1
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dallas Cowboys Topics

since its midweek, and I don't feel like posting in a GameDay thread...

the Cowboys are back where they belong, 7th in the ESPN power rankings today =]

what are we going to do with Flozell's lost?

and what is Dat's status?
Julius Jones's status?

big big game this week
Dallas Cowboys (4-2)
vs
Seattle Seahawks (4-2)

this could determine the team of the NFC imo.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2005, 08:09 AM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Dallas Cowboys Topics

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
since its midweek, and I don't feel like posting in a GameDay thread...

the Cowboys are back where they belong, 7th in the ESPN power rankings today =]

what are we going to do with Flozell's lost?

and what is Dat's status?
Julius Jones's status?

big big game this week
Dallas Cowboys (4-2)
vs
Seattle Seahawks (4-2)

this could determine the team of the NFC imo.
I'd say tap the brakes on the team of the NFC stuff. Philly's still the team to beat in the NFC until proven otherwise over several weeks.

Also, don't underrrate what losing Flozell will do to this team. We're going to have to max protect almost all the time now. We will be VERY conservative I think. Our defense will have to continue to step up big time for the rest of the season.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:53 AM   #3
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I think McNabb's injury is more serious then people think.

Contact Me
Old 10-19-2005, 01:07 PM   #4
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The hotel will be missed. I am excited to see Peerless Price, Keyshawan and Terry Glenn in action. Maybe we will see Price and Glenn on the outside with Johnson in the slot. The Cows need to be cautious with Julius Jones. Bledsoe has been the pick up of the year. He is in the top 5 in passing ratings and in touchdowns. Adams wasn't exactly kicking butt against the rush of the Giants.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 02:47 PM   #5
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

I think the whole flo thing might be blown out of proportion. 2 years ago he had a great season and remains a very good tackle. However Flo has problems with speed rushers and stunts, along with that he has a knack for untimely offsides. Flo will be missed but I hope that a solid vet tackle like brooks who we just signed will step up and do a good job. He can't be as dominate but could prove more steady.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:20 PM   #6
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

You can't honestly think Brooks will step right in and start, can you?

We're looking at Tucker at one tackle, and Pettiti at the other. We've been helping Pettiti out with a TE a lot, and he beat out Tucker for RT.

I bet we see a LOT less three wides, this coming week at least.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 10-19-2005, 05:14 PM   #7
alby
Guru

The Cowboys returned to practice Wednesday at Valley Ranch without some key offensive players in Adams and Patrick Crayton, but linebacker Dat Nguyen was back in action. Nguyen has missed two games with a neck injury, but practiced Wednesday and is listed as probably on the injury report . . . The Cowboys have listed both running back Julius Jones (ankle) and tight end Dan Campbell (groin) as questionable on the injury report.

Crayton underwent arthroscopic surgery Tuesday to repair a chip fracture on a non-weight-bearing bone, which leaves the Cowboys without their third receiver and punt returner for 6-8 weeks.

A former No. 1 receiver in Atlanta, Price is expected to replace Crayton on offense and possibly take over his punt return duties. Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells also is considering cornerback Terence Newman and rookie running back Marion Barber to return punts.

Through six games, Crayton has 18 catches for 272 yards and two touchdowns. His 7.8-yard average on punt returns also ranks fifth in the NFC.

Price has learned all three wide receiver positions in the Cowboys' system but will likely play on the outside, opposite Glenn. That means the 6-foot-4 Johnson would move into the slot and take on more blocking duties.

"It's fine," Johnson said. "I've got two guys that can run, and it'll obviously give us a lot in terms of the middle of the field. I got kind of bored catching balls on the sideline the last couple of weeks, so now I'll get a chance maybe to get back inside and do some work in the middle of the field."

Contact Me
Old 10-23-2005, 12:24 PM   #8
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think McNabb's injury is more serious then people think.
I think you may be right, Alby. He's playing terribly so far today.

chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:22 PM   #9
alby
Guru

NFC East update

The Eagles and Redskins win.
The Cowboys and Giants lose.

4-2 Eagles
4-2 Redskins
4-3 Cowboys
3-3 Giants

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Contact Me
Old 10-24-2005, 09:57 AM   #10
alby
Guru

Quote:
NFC East update

The Eagles and Redskins win.
The Cowboys and Giants lose.

4-2 Eagles
4-2 Redskins
4-3 Cowboys
3-3 Giants

check that, the Giants came back in the 4th quarter

The Eagles, Redskins, and Giants win.
The Cowboys lose.

4-2 Eagles
4-2 Redskins
4-2 Giants
4-3 Cowboys

From first to last.

Contact Me
Old 10-25-2005, 10:31 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dallas Cowboys Topics

Ha! Cortez the Killer wasn't good enough for us, but he's good enough for the Iggles. They claimed him today.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:11 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

And have thus doomed themselves to a season full whoretez and chaos.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:08 PM   #13
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Talked to a big Eagles' fan at work. He said Akers is supposed to be back in a few weeks, and after that he thinks they'll retain Cortez for kickoffs, which is the main reason they made this move. He doesn't think they value him above the kicker they had straight up.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-01-2005, 10:12 PM   #14
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

A-Train gets cut- not sure if this is the best move or not. it does free up an extra roster space though for the signing of..of...who?
Old 11-01-2005, 10:50 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Here is your answer.....

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys released running back Anthony Thomas on Tuesday and placed linebacker Al Singleton on injured reserve, ending his season.

Thomas, signed in the offseason to provide depth behind starter Julius Jones, became expendable with the emergence of rookies Marion Barber and Tyson Thompson. He had two 1,000-yard seasons in four years with Chicago before signing a one-year deal with the Cowboys.

Thompson caught the attention of coach Bill Parcells with a strong training camp and preseason. Barber has 222 yards and two touchdowns in two games as a replacement for Jones, who is battling an ankle injury. Thompson, an undrafted free agent, is the first Irving native to play for the Cowboys, and Barber is a fourth-round pick out of Minnesota.

Singleton broke a collarbone in Sunday's 34-13 victory against Arizona.

The Cowboys also placed defensive end Jay Ratliff (ankle) on injured reserve, and they signed safeties Tony Dixon and Lynn Scott, both former Cowboys.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:17 PM   #16
chumdawg
Guru

Good for Dixon and Scott! Who would have figured. They were shallow in the defensive backfield, to be sure. Have been all year. Pile has a groin--and for that matter, so does Newman. Man, I'm just so happy for Dixon and Scott. Scott, especially. I hope he can get active on Sundays and do something on special teams.

The Ratliff news is not that surprising. The Cowboys have an abundance of depth on the defensive line. Hell, Kenyon Coleman started the first three or four games and has been inactive the last two or three in a row. Ogbogu bounces back and forth, too. Granted, both those guys are ends and Ratliff is a tackle, but still. They had a lot of depth on the defensive line, and lack of depth elsewhere, so this is not a big surprise. In fact, it was a major surprise that both Ratliff and Pepper Johnson, a fellow rookie, made the team in the first place.

I would imagine that Thomas pushed to get cut. The trade deadline has passed. I'm sure we will hear that this was a way for Thomas to get some playing time somewhere. The Cowboys called New Orleans earlier to see if they wanted him, but no trade occured. I wouldn't be surprised if he signed there.

I dont think this necessarily says a whole lot about Thompson, though. Rather, I think it says that Jones is well and will be back after the bye. They may continue giving Thompson spot duty by giving him one series (or part of one series) a half or a game, but they aren't ready to have him in the game on passing downs with any regularity.

This Cowboys team is going to be tough. And next year it gets only tougher. Just thinking ahead, where does the first-round pick go next year? Probably offensive line. Hell, the first two might go offensive line. We could probably use another young receiver and safety. But don't forget that we have Beriault back next year at safety.

It's a fun time to be a Cowboys fan.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:54 AM   #17
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg

It's a fun time to be a Cowboys fan.
you got that right =)

Contact Me
Old 11-02-2005, 02:06 PM   #18
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: snoop
I think the whole flo thing might be blown out of proportion. 2 years ago he had a great season and remains a very good tackle. However Flo has problems with speed rushers and stunts, along with that he has a knack for untimely offsides. Flo will be missed but I hope that a solid vet tackle like brooks who we just signed will step up and do a good job. He can't be as dominate but could prove more steady.
I was wrong about flo. Tucker wont get the dumb offsides flo will but he is no where near the tackle
Old 11-02-2005, 05:04 PM   #19
alby
Guru

who is replacing singleton?

Contact Me
Old 11-02-2005, 07:02 PM   #20
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Burnett and Fujita

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-23-2005, 01:32 PM   #21
alby
Guru

I'm saying it now...

superbowl preview this Thursday

Contact Me
Old 11-24-2005, 12:52 AM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Go Cowboys! Beat the Broncos. This should be a really good game. I am SOOOO looking forward to this one. I love Thanksgiving football.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:13 AM   #23
alby
Guru

our division rivals' games:

San Diego Chargers (6-4) @ Washington Redskins (5-5)
****** New York Giants (7-3) @ Seattle Seahawks (8-2) ******
Green Bay Packers (2-8) @ Philadelphia Eagles (4-6)

NFC EAST
Giants 7-3
Dallas 7-4
Washington 5-5
Philadelphia 4-6

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 11-27-2005 at 05:16 AM.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:50 PM   #24
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm....I guess the NYGiants kickers isn't so hot either. 2/5 and 3 game winners missed. OUCH!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:22 AM   #25
alby
Guru

updated:

NFC East
7-4 Dallas Cowboys
7-4 New York Giants
5-6 Washington Redskins
5-6 Philadelphia Eagles

that was an even harder game to swallow for the Giants, they missed two field goals in overtime, ouch...

Contact Me
Old 12-01-2005, 11:28 PM   #26
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Has anyone imagined how amazing our offense will be once Julius Jones wakes up.

Cowboys over the G-Unit by 14.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:01 PM   #27
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

I don't think the problem is Julius or Barber. We need some offensive lineman. Losing Flozell may have cost us the season. I know he's just a small part, but to compete with the best we need our best. Ever since Flo has been out, Bledsoe and our Run game hasn't been quite up to par. They're still above average, but unless we get some serious improvement I can't see us making it past the NFC Championship.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:11 PM   #28
alby
Guru

can anyone tell me why we just cut Price?

Contact Me
Old 12-03-2005, 08:35 PM   #29
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

crayton's back, maybe? pretty dumb considering we cut q.morg just to sign price. now we have virtually no depth at wr.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:13 PM   #30
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought price was just collecting a check.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:39 PM   #31
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
can anyone tell me why we just cut Price?
He may have asked to be cut when he found out that he was going to be inactive. I'd guess that's why we cut Thomas too.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:07 PM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

might have been a roster spot issue...if Crayton's back, they might have needed a roster spot to fill some other need.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:20 PM   #33
chumdawg
Guru

It's an unusual move in that they gave the guy a half-million-dollar signing bonus basically just as insurance against Keyshawn or Glenn going down. Umm...either could still go down. Especially Glenn.

I'd look at this mostly as a vote of confidence in Copper. Parcells wouldn't go forward with only three receivers who could play.

They worked out Jamar Martin and some safety this week. Those might be candidates to fill the roster vacancy. They are still thin at linebacker, though.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:32 AM   #34
Drbio
Banned

Peerless Price, who was signed as a free agent in September, was released Saturday by the Dallas Cowboys.

Price

Price, who caught just six passes for 96 yards, worked mainly as a punt returner.

Price was inactive for four of the Cowboys' first six games.

Price underachieved in Atlanta after the Falcons acquired him in a 2003 trade with the Buffalo Bills in which they surrendered a first-round draft pick, and then awarded him a contract that included a $10 million signing bonus.

His best season came in 2002, with Buffalo, when he posted 94 catches for 1,252 yards and nine touchdowns.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:04 AM   #35
alby
Guru

updated:

NFC East
8-4 New York Giants
7-5 Dallas Cowboys
6-6 Washington Redskins
5-7 Philadelphia Eagles

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 12-06-2005 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:48 PM   #36
alby
Guru

updated:

NFC East
9-4 New York Giants
8-5 Dallas Cowboys
7-6 Washington Redskins
5-8 Philadelphia Eagles

Playoff Picture
1. Seattle Seahawks
2. Chicago Bears
3. New York Giants
4. Tampa Bay Bucs
5. Carolina Panthers
6. Dallas Cowboys

7. Minnesota Vikings
8. Atlanta Falcons
9. Washington Redskins

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 12-12-2005 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:21 PM   #37
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

What ever happened to Leon Lett?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote