Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-24-2005, 12:52 AM   #1
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Game Day Thread: Denver Broncos @ Dallas Cowboys!!!

NFL.com's Matchup Breakdown

NFL.com's Preview

IRVING, Texas (Nov. 22, 2005) -- The Dallas Cowboys have a chance to go perfect on an 11-day, three-game stretch, even though their offense hasn't been. There's nothing wrong with the Denver Broncos offensively.

Despite that difference of late, the Cowboys and Broncos are both on a roll entering this Thanksgiving Day matchup of division leaders.

Mike Anderson and the Broncos are hoping to feast on the Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day. Drew Bledsoe and the Dallas offense are not clicking the way they were earlier in the season, but the Cowboys have not stopped winning. They've won three in a row and five of six -- the only defeat came to Seattle on a last-second field goal -- to put themselves in a tie atop the NFC East with the New York Giants.

"We all need to get our expectations up. This is when it gets fun, right now," Dallas receiver Keyshawn Johnson said. "We may not even have the best team in this division, but we are in the race, and that is where we want to be.

"You want to keep dropping wins in the hole, no matter how you get them."

In a 20-7 victory against Detroit last week, the Cowboys needed penalties to keep alive all their scoring drives and totaled only 253 yards of offense. That was 12 more than their season low, set the previous week when they escaped with a 21-20 victory against Philadelphia thanks to Roy Williams' late interception return for a touchdown.

"Maybe we're in just a little bit of a lull right now -- maybe not a lull, a slump somewhat," tight end Dan Campbell said.

Bledsoe has recorded only 175.5 yards passing over the past four games. He threw for a season-low 110 against the Lions and was held without a touchdown pass for the first time.

"It's a combination of the way defenses are approaching us and us not executing as well as we'd like to," Bledsoe said. "But when you win a few in a row, it's certainly not something we're going to jump up and down about."

The Broncos have won three straight and eight of nine, with the only loss coming on the road to the Giants on a touchdown with 5 seconds left. They have a two-game lead over San Diego and Kansas City in the AFC West.

Denver ranks fourth in the NFL in total offense and fifth in scoring (25.9 ppg).
During their current three-game winning streak, the Broncos have outscored the opposition 107-38.

They've averaged nearly 190 yards rushing over the past eight games. Mike Anderson has run for a touchdown in five straight, and had three last week in a 27-0 victory against the New York Jets while he rushed for 113 yards.

It was the third time in four games he has broken the century mark, and he could be asked to take a bigger workload this week with Tatum Bell's status uncertain due to a bruised chest. Bell tops the NFL with 6.0 yards per carry and has run for 640 yards, 142 fewer than Anderson.

"It doesn't bother Mike," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. "Mike is a guy that can carry the ball 25, 30 times a game. He's a total team player."

Anderson is going against a Dallas run defense that hasn't allowed a 100-yard rusher since Oakland's LaMont Jordan in Week 4. The Cowboys limited the Lions to 57 yards on 19 carries.

The Broncos, meanwhile, own the league's second-ranked rush defense, thanks in part to the offense putting points on the board early in games and forcing opponents to throw more. The Jets ran the ball a franchise-low seven times against Denver last week, and the Broncos are on pace to face what would be a team record-low 340 rushing attempts this season.

"We're getting leads and teams stop running the ball," cornerback Darrent Williams said.

The last meeting between these teams also came on Thanksgiving, in 2001, and Anderson -- then the reigning AFC offensive rookie of the year -- rushed for 118 yards and a touchdown in Denver's 26-23 victory at Dallas.

"Not everybody wants to play on Thanksgiving. I think it's good," Shanahan said. "A national televised audience is always nice, it provides a challenge and you've got to play them at home some time, so why not do it then?"

STANDINGS: Broncos -- 1st place, AFC West. Cowboys -- 1st place (tied), NFC East.

BRONCOS LEADERS: Offense -- Jake Plummer, 2,074 passing yards and 13 passing TDs; Anderson, 782 rushing yards and 8 rushing TDs; Rod Smith, 52 receptions and 666 receiving yards; Kyle Johnson and Smith, 4 receiving TDs. Defense -- seven with 2 sacks; Champ Bailey, 5 INTs.

COWBOYS LEADERS: Offense -- Bledsoe, 2,325 passing yards and 14 passing TDs; Julius Jones, 515 rushing yards; Marion Barber, 5 rushing TDs; Johnson, 47 receptions and 5 receiving TDs; Terry Glenn, 748 receiving yards. Defense -- Greg Ellis, 7 sacks; Anthony Henry, 3 INTs.

BRONCOS TEAM RANK: Rushing Offense -- 168.3 yards per game (2nd in NFL); Passing Offense -- 199.2 ypg (20th); Total Offense -- 367.5 ypg (4th). Rushing Defense -- 78.8 ypg (2nd); Passing Defense -- 240.4 ypg (28th); Total Defense -- 319.2 ypg (17th).

COWBOYS TEAM RANK: Rushing Offense -- 118.6 ypg (13th); Passing Offense -- 217.0 ypg (14th); Total Offense -- 335.6 ypg (14th). Rushing Defense -- 95.1 ypg (9th); Passing Defense -- 189.5 ypg (10th); Total Defense -- 284.6 ypg (5th).

LAST MEETING: Nov. 22, 2001. Broncos, 26-24. At Dallas, the Broncos hung on after nearly blowing a 26-3 lead in the fourth quarter.

STREAKS AND NOTES: Broncos -- QB Plummer has one TD pass and eight INTs in five regular-season games in Dallas. ... Denver is 2-7 in Thursday games, including 2-6 on Thanksgiving. ... Two members of Denver's starting front four, DT Michael Myers and DE Ebenezer Ekuban, each played five seasons with Dallas. Cowboys -- Dallas has committed 15 turnovers, tied with Philadelphia for fewest in the NFC. ... The Cowboys are 6-0 when scoring 20 or more points, compared to 4-4 last season. ... Bledsoe has a 109.9 rating over his past four starts against Denver, including eight TD passes and one INT.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Broncos -- 2-2 on the road; Cowboys -- 4-1 at home.

HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS!?

Julius is back again. Tatum Bell is hurt. Plummer will have trouble with the speed and atleticsm of the Cowboy defense. Denver is ranked 28th in passing defense. Turkey leg(s) goes out to the entire Cowboy defense for forcing four turnovers from the Broncros (3 INTs from Jake the Snake).

halftime score:
Dallas 21
Denver 10

final score:
Dallas 27
Denver 17

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 11-24-2005 at 12:59 AM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2005, 01:34 AM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Boys in a close one.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:40 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm REEEEEEALLLY looking forward to this game. I agree that it will be a hard fought close game.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:44 AM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
I'm REEEEEEALLLY looking forward to this game. I agree that it will be a hard fought close game.
I hate agreeing with you....it makes me look sooooooooo

like you!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 11-24-2005, 02:38 AM   #5
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Among the many things I have to be thankful for, I'm thankful that my TV, which only gets one channel, gets CBS!!! I hope the Boys pull this one out, but they will probably have to play some of their best football yet. Win or lose, it's always good to watch the Boys on Turkey Day!
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:25 AM   #6
sike
The Preacha

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleefilled
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Among the many things I have to be thankful for, I'm thankful that my TV, which only gets one channel, gets CBS!!! I hope the Boys pull this one out, but they will probably have to play some of their best football yet. Win or lose, it's always good to watch the Boys on Turkey Day!
here's hoping that you get a new TV!

Old 11-24-2005, 11:27 AM   #7
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mean to be pessimistic, but I have a bad feeling about this game. Denver is VERY, VERY good, and Bledsoe has been very shaky lately.

If we can keep the pressure off of Bledsoe, I will feel better.

I predict a close game and an agonizing loss for the good guys.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:29 AM   #8
mmmfast

mmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to all

Go Cowboys!!
Happy Thanksgiving to all and here's to a full stomach, cold beers and a Turkey Day win!

I get to watch the game with a die-hard Broncos fan so we have to win, otherwise I'll hear it from this bandwagoneer.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:34 AM   #9
sike
The Preacha

how is the Denver D?

Old 11-24-2005, 11:42 AM   #10
mmmfast

mmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to all

Denver is 4th in run defense(4yds per carry) but that is because teams run it under 20 times per game. Teams are always playing catchup and trying to air it out.

Pass defense is 20th giving up almost 200yds per game, Champ Bailey may be susceptible to a deep route or two.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:35 PM   #11
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Go Cowboys!!

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:41 PM   #12
sike
The Preacha

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmfast
Denver is 4th in run defense(4yds per carry) but that is because teams run it under 20 times per game. Teams are always playing catchup and trying to air it out.

Pass defense is 20th giving up almost 200yds per game, Champ Bailey may be susceptible to a deep route or two.
thanks for the info

Old 11-24-2005, 01:09 PM   #13
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I'm going with my bro...they better demolish the Broncos.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:14 PM   #14
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
thanks for the info
BRONCOS TEAM RANK: Rushing Offense -- 168.3 yards per game (2nd in NFL); Passing Offense -- 199.2 ypg (20th); Total Offense -- 367.5 ypg (4th). Rushing Defense -- 78.8 ypg (2nd); Passing Defense -- 240.4 ypg (28th); Total Defense -- 319.2 ypg (17th).

Contact Me
Old 11-24-2005, 03:14 PM   #15
alby
Guru

the lions game is terrible

im watching lakers vs bulls game 5 1991 nba finals on nba tv until the cowboys game starts...

Contact Me
Old 11-24-2005, 03:27 PM   #16
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

So, the broncos have a good run defense do they? Why do I get the feeling that JuJo is going to run it down their throats? I can't say who will win, but I can say Time of Posession:
33 for the boys, 27 for the broncs.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:55 PM   #17
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

If I understand the broncos is that they are blitz happy, so hopefully some screens and draw plays will be run. I expect some down-the-field action by da'boys... I'm not sure if julius or marion gets the most carries.

It's great to see all of the soldiers in Iraq yelling GO COWBOYS!!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 04:10 PM   #18
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Does peerless price ever head straight up the field where he might get hit? I've never seen him do anything but head as fast as he can to the sidelines.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 11-24-2005, 04:17 PM   #19
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Does peerless price ever head straight up the field where he might get hit? I've never seen him do anything but head as fast as he can to the sidelines.
Nope...
Old 11-24-2005, 04:28 PM   #20
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

I like price, but we need a new kick returner. to me he looks afraid. I say stick with the parcell strategy, run run pass (1st, 2nd, 3rd downs). As it is now, we're playing the way the broncs want us to play. they want us to be afraid of their run defense so we'll pass. also, STAY AWAY FROM CHAMP BAILEY! Just don't throw to his side of the field, period. he's the new Deion as far as I can tell.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:28 PM   #21
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Ahh Champ Bailey with a Roy Williams-esq. int and run back

Last edited by #1MavsFan; 11-24-2005 at 04:28 PM.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 04:38 PM   #22
dude1394
Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei
STAY AWAY FROM CHAMP BAILEY! Just don't throw to his side of the field, period. he's the new Deion as far as I can tell.
Or maybe not!
Old 11-24-2005, 04:47 PM   #23
dude1394
Guru

That was some BAAAADDDDD coverage. On a max blitz it looked like our CB was pressing...
Old 11-24-2005, 04:54 PM   #24
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

boooo bledsoe. boooo
Old 11-24-2005, 05:25 PM   #25
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Thats a TOUCHDOWN! oh man
Old 11-24-2005, 05:30 PM   #26
dude1394
Guru

Yah Bledsoe Yah...He's a pretty tough hombre man.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:35 PM   #27
dude1394
Guru

Good they have Terence Newman returning this punt, Price just isn't a strongman.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:38 PM   #28
alby
Guru

can someone tell me where anthony henry and dat nguyen are?

Contact Me
Old 11-24-2005, 05:39 PM   #29
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei
So, the broncos have a good run defense do they? Why do I get the feeling that JuJo is going to run it down their throats? I can't say who will win, but I can say Time of Posession:
33 for the boys, 27 for the broncs.
Julius Jones
7 attempts
16 yards

good call...

they have the 2nd ranked rushing defense for a reason

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 11-24-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:54 PM   #30
alby
Guru

HALFTIME:

Denver 14
Dallas 14

J. Plummer 5-11 70 yds 1 td 1 int
D. Bledsoe 16-25 132 yds 1 td 2 ints

Contact Me
Old 11-24-2005, 06:10 PM   #31
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Julius Jones
7 attempts
16 yards

good call...

they have the 2nd ranked rushing defense for a reason
It's a two-headed running game.

Barber 7-22yds,
Old 11-24-2005, 06:45 PM   #32
dude1394
Guru

TOUCHDOWN!!! Make it happen boys.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:11 PM   #33
dude1394
Guru

Allowing timeouts to be called from the sideline seems pretty stupid to me. The timeout can be called and no one on the field knows it.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:15 PM   #34
dude1394
Guru

Boy cowboys just cannot run the ball up the middle with julius...
Old 11-24-2005, 07:31 PM   #35
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

well...at least we still have glenn. we're going to need him!
Old 11-24-2005, 07:35 PM   #36
alby
Guru

i just turned off my tv after dayne's run.. tell me what happens later

damnit

bye

Contact Me
Old 11-24-2005, 07:35 PM   #37
dude1394
Guru

Ouch....Damn kickers..
Old 11-24-2005, 07:51 PM   #38
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Perhaps, we should have just stuck with the rookie. Billy Cundiff still looks like he doesn't know how to kick the ball straight. I don't know how these guys have jobs in the league when they can't even do that. On every extra point attempt, Cundiff's kicks sail one way or the other. Oh well, what is that two games this year decided entirely by faulty kicking? great.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:52 PM   #39
jleefilled
Platinum Member

On the bright side, I thought this game was a bit of a measuring stick for the Cowboys. And overall, I thought they measured up quite nicely.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:24 AM   #40
sike
The Preacha

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooo!