Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-25-2005, 08:51 AM   #41
TheMurph

TheMurph is a jewel in the roughTheMurph is a jewel in the roughTheMurph is a jewel in the roughTheMurph is a jewel in the rough

I've seen enough screens from the cowboys. Plus, I don't ever want to see another third and one play where the cowboys throw the ball behind the line of scrimmage. I thought the play calling was abysmal.
TheMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2005, 10:03 AM   #42
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Time to dump Cundiff. He can't make a 33-yard field goal at home to win the game!

Of course, he can make 56-yarders when we are up 50-0.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 10:48 AM   #43
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

In a tight game like that, you can't afford two giveaways and a missed FG.

And Murph is right. The offensive playcalling was not good.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:32 AM   #44
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMurph
I thought the play calling was abysmal.
they have a good week and a bad week, a good week, and a bad week.....

these guys don't seem to be satisfied with just calling the plays that work....it is rather frustrating.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 12:38 PM   #45
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Other than the conservatism they showed late in the game while it was tied, I don't understand the complaints on play calling. They couldn't run the ball at all, and could not depend on the run to get them conversions on short yardage. Even with those struggles they managed to stay competitive even with Bledsoe giving Denver 7 points.

They were an easy FG away from winning this game. They played a great game, just made a couple more mistakes than Denver.

Last edited by jthig32; 11-25-2005 at 12:40 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 02:17 PM   #46
TheMurph

TheMurph is a jewel in the roughTheMurph is a jewel in the roughTheMurph is a jewel in the roughTheMurph is a jewel in the rough

The Cowboys cannot effectively run screens yet they ran three or four. Plus, on a 4th and 1 call at the one yard line, they Cowboys try a fade? That is a horrible call. It is an extremely low percentage call. And, on a third and one call, they throw a pass that is SHORT of the first down marker. If you cannot understand why someone would not be happy with play calling, then that's your own damn fault for not watching the game.

AND, with 40-50 seconds left and a timeout, the Cowboys didn't try to get into FG range even though they only needed 30-35 yards.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:24 PM   #47
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Cowboys cannot effectively run screens yet they ran three or four. Plus, on a 4th and 1 call at the one yard line, they Cowboys try a fade? That is a horrible call. It is an extremely low percentage call. And, on a third and one call, they throw a pass that is SHORT of the first down marker. If you cannot understand why someone would not be happy with play calling, then that's your own damn fault for not watching the game.

AND, with 40-50 seconds left and a timeout, the Cowboys didn't try to get into FG range even though they only needed 30-35 yards.
It was pretty sad actually. I was rather excited when we held and gave ourself a GREAT chance with a minute left and then we call such passive plays... We have no timeouts and we actually run once... Bill, that shit is NOT going to fool anyone... Throw the damn ball downfield and try to win the game...

Sure, Seattle still stings and I know that is in your memory, but if you can't depend on our team to drive with a minute left to win the game then why are we trying to make the playoffs here? This is nothing short of what N.E. does on a weekly basis...

STOP BEING SO F'N PASSIVE OR DON'T EXPECT ANYTHING BETTER THAN 8-8... When you stay this close to a team you are going to win half and lose half... Sometimes you get lucky and the ball bounces in your favor more than not, but still... You HAVE to put teams away and have a killer instinct and to say that none of that falls on the playcalling is just ridiculous...
Old 11-25-2005, 02:34 PM   #48
TheMurph

Bill Parcells played not to lose that late in the game. I can understand if you're at your own 15-20 yard line..but not your 30.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:37 PM   #49
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should look at the whole thing before you pass judgment on the playcalling. They made 23 first downs, 14 by passing. (Denver made 13 total.) They were 7-for-16 on third down. (Denver was 3-for-10.)

I know we all would like to see perfection, but on the whole it was more than acceptable against that team.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 02:39 PM   #50
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

That particular fade to Keyshawn, which btw is not a true fade, kind of an underthrow fade, has been very effective for us. That's a pretty high percentage for us. The hitch pass on 3-1 was a bad play, but you generally don't call a hitch play as your only play from the huddle. I'd be willing to bet it was a sneak from the huddle, but when Bledsoe saw the defense he checked out to the hitch.

I don't know what you expect when we can't run the ball fromt he 1. If anything, be unhappy that our running game was so pathetic we had to do things like that to try to pick up first downs and touchdowns.

In the end, we gave them 7 points, and still should have won the game. We played a great game, but came up just short.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:53 PM   #51
TheMurph

It is still not nearly high percentage enough of a route to run on a 4th and 1 at the one yard line. If you think so, you're dead wrong.

What do I expect? I don't expect fade routes on 4th and 1 at the 1 yard line. I don't expect passes thrown short of the first down line on 3rd and 1. I don't expect TE screens on third and about 7. I don't expect any type of screen at all because they have shown no ability to effectively run that play. So what do I expect? A little common sense from whoever is calling the plays.

'We' didn't play a great game. The Cowboys played a good to very good game. When did you become a member of the coaching staff or when did you sign on as a player?
Old 11-25-2005, 02:57 PM   #52
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
It is still not nearly high percentage enough of a route to run on a 4th and 1 at the one yard line. If you think so, you're dead wrong.

What do I expect? I don't expect fade routes on 4th and 1 at the 1 yard line. I don't expect passes thrown short of the first down line on 3rd and 1. I don't expect TE screens on third and about 7. I don't expect any type of screen at all because they have shown no ability to effectively run that play. So what do I expect? A little common sense from whoever is calling the plays.

'We' didn't play a great game. The Cowboys played a good to very good game. When did you become a member of the coaching staff or when did you sign on as a player?
If you want to continue the discussion that's fine. If you want to deterioate it down to petty criticism and silly insults, as is usually your MO, then I'll leave you to it.

So you had a problem with perhaps 5 plays. Other than that "THE COWBOYS" played a stellar game. The play calling was just fine, and I dare say showed plenty of "common sense".

Last edited by jthig32; 11-25-2005 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:07 PM   #53
TheMurph

Five big plays mostly in crucial situations....that's more than enough to be upset about. So, if I have a major problem with several of the calls on some of the most crucial plays of the game, I just can't imagine why I wouldn't be happy with the play calling.

As for the petty insults...I haven't said anything that's insulting. The 'WE' thing, well, that's just a little annoying. But me pointing that out is not an 'insult' to you.

I apologize if I hurt your feelings. I'm not sure how I could have hurt them..but if they were hurt, I apologize. I'll just go ahead and give a blanket apology for the rest of your career here at d-m.com because if me pointing out that using 'we' is annoying, then a blanket apology is needed. I won't be able to keep-up otherwise.

Last edited by TheMurph; 11-25-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:16 AM   #54
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

You went to North Texas, right, Murph? Did you ever find yourself on a Saturday evening saying "Man, we got our asses kicked today"?

I think it's a pretty established thing in sports that a team's sphere of influence, if you will, extends pretty far beyond the locker room doors. For that matter, there are a number of reasons why certain home fields are tougher places for visitors than others, and many of those reasons involve the folks who invest something of themselves to support the home team. It's a fool's errand to dismiss the relationship between home team and home fans as an unconnected one.

As was mentioned above, a big part of the challenge on Thursday was that--once again--we couldn't run the damn ball. Was the fade a high percentage play? No, it wasn't. But hey, when you consider the game prior and the way Thursday's game was going, neither was a straight handoff.

If "we" is in some way annoying--and I readily understand that for some it is--it's probably not as annoying as Monday-morning quarterbacking, or in this case coaching. Yes, there were important plays that didn't go our way. But there were also a great many important plays that did go our way. Or don't the three touchdowns count?

Fact is, we spotted a very good team seven points, and we bounced back from that to be in a position where a 33-yard field goal would have given us a fourth-quarter lead that had a pretty fair chance of standing up. Now, even that might not have, and then the questions would have been why we didn't push harder for the touchdown instead of the field goal, or why our defense can't seem to stop anyone in the last few minutes. It's always something.

In my mind, the best team on the field Thursday was the team in the white helmets. No, it wasn't perfect. But it was a helluva football game, which is the best you can hope for when two strong teams go at it.

That said, the hitch to Glenn had no chance of ever working, given the coverage Glenn had. And if you will look back at the season, you will find three or four very important plays gone wrong where Bledsoe tried to force something to Glenn. It's possibly cause for concern.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:36 AM   #55
TheMurph

I didn't go to the 'university of the dallas cowboys'. None of us did. If you're not annoyed by it, so be it.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:37 AM   #56
TheMurph

I completely agree that it was a great game and the the 'boys played well. But, that does not mean that you cannot point out where they struggled. One area was play calling especially on third down..and on 4th down that one play where they ran the fade (thankfully Denver was offsides)
Old 11-26-2005, 12:47 AM   #57
chumdawg
Guru

Wink

Quote:
I didn't go to the 'university of the dallas cowboys'. None of us did. If you're not annoyed by it, so be it.
Well, I may not have gone there, but they did give me an honorary doctorate.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:44 AM   #58
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Larry Allen looked very old yesterday, that's all I will say.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 10:20 AM   #59
TheMurph

It might have been difficult for some of the guys to go through 3 games in 11 days. That's an absolutely brutal stretch by NFL standards.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:02 PM   #60
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

the Broncos were in the similar situation, sure they had 12 days, but they had to travel TO Dallas on Thanksgiving..

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote