Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-29-2005, 06:04 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Johnson pondering playoff rotation

Mavericks Notes

Johnson pondering playoff rotation

By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - Provided the return of Erick Dampier and Jerry Stackhouse go smoothly, Mavericks coach Avery Johnson plans to work on his playoff rotation in next week's four-game homestand.

Specifically, Johnson is shooting for the two games after the Mavs face San Antonio on April 7 to begin trimming down the rotation to nine. He hopes to use the next five games sorting out who those nine will be.

"I'll have nine guys, and everybody else may get spot minutes," Johnson said. "I may have a situation where I use someone like [Darrell Armstrong] with two seconds to go in the game, like we did in Milwaukee."

Before Johnson makes any decisions, Dampier and Stackhouse have to return to action. Johnson expects both to play on the current four-game road trip, which began with Monday night's 95-88 victory against Detroit at The Palace of Auburn Hills.

Stackhouse, taking care of personal business in North Carolina, wasn't with the Mavericks on Monday. He's expected to rejoin the team today in Boston.

Once Stackhouse is back in the mix, Johnson will have four players to pick from at the shooting guard/small forward spots. Michael Finley and Josh Howard have started all season when healthy.

Marquis Daniels' minutes have fluctuated since Johnson replaced Don Nelson as coach. Daniels has played as many as 31 minutes (vs. Charlotte) and as few as 14 (vs. Sacramento). Stackhouse was averaging 30.8 minutes.

"Guys' minutes may go up or down when Stackhouse gets back," Johnson said. "He's going to play at least 18 minutes a night. That's reality. That makes us a better team."

Johnson can use Daniels in the point guard rotation with starter Jason Terry and rookie Devin Harris, who's moved into the backup spot.

"Fortunately, we have a lot of different looks we can give," Johnson said. "We can go small with the rook [Harris] and JT, but I still like Marquis at point guard for two- or three-minute stretches per half. We may need that in the playoffs. That's another gear that we can go to."

Johnson said he isn't worried about upsetting any of the three he eventually leaves out of the rotation.

"We're not into hurting anybody's feelings right now," he said. "I think this is a real unselfish basketball team, and everybody wants to win. All people are going to remember you for is what you did at the end of the season.

"If you really want to be part of a winning team, you'll do whatever it takes. Even during the game, we've had more bench participation than at any point all year. That's a sign of unselfishness."

Punk'd

Dirk Nowitzki led a Mavs traveling party Sunday night to a local sports bar to catch his appearance on MTV's Punk'd, a practical-joke show hosted by actor Ashton Kutcher. The team's hotel didn't carry MTV.

"They actually put it on the big screen," Nowitzki said of the sports bar. "There were about 30 people there, and they were staring at me, so it was kind of embarrassing."

In the episode, Nowitzki is continually pestered by a kid seeking an autograph. The gag took place during a January trip to Los Angeles. Nowitzki was surprised he was singled out for the show.

"I had no idea," he said. "Usually you see actors and rock stars on there. I didn't think I was 'big time' enough. It was fun. They made me look good."

Teammate Michael Finley and equipment manager Al Whitley were in on the joke.

Coaching influence

Larry Brown is one of the three coaches Avery Johnson played for who guided their teams to NBA championships. Brown, who led Detroit to the title last season, is recovering from his second hip surgery this season.

Johnson hasn't talked to Brown since his latest setback, but they talked at length when the Mavs and Pistons played each other in early December. Johnson counts Brown as a coaching influence.

"He had a certain way he wanted to play, and he just didn't budge off that," Johnson said. "I'm kind of the same way. I have a vision for how I want this team to play."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2005, 07:43 AM   #2
Don_Didi

Don_Didi is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Johnson pondering playoff rotation

Well, fi Dampier isn't ready to push 30+ minutes, than I'd be much happier with a 10-man rotation than with a 9-man rotation... that just seems to make much more sense. Even if Dampier can play 30-35, I'm quite convinced we can use Harris, Marquis, Stackhouse AND Van Horn... and I think everyone can agree having a backup center in the rotation is always nice. But heck, you could leave MArquis out of the 9-man rotation and give him those "spot minutes," I suppose, so that might work.
Don_Didi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:53 AM   #3
Julius

Julius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to all

So who are the nine players if everybody healthy?
Dirk
Howard
Terry
Finley
Dampier

Stackhouse
VanHorn
Harris

To me these 8 are for sure. Then you have Daniels, Bradley, Henderson and Armstrong, maybe Podkolzin or Mbenga. On the playoff roster imo should/will be Daniels, Bradley, Henderson and one of Averys choice.
But do you really believe that Daniels will not be in the nine player rotation? I think that will only happen if Dampier is not fully healthy and there is a need for another frontcourt player.
If Daniels is in the rotation they will go small a lot of time when Dampier is out with Dirk or KVH at the 5. Thats sounds not so good to me. I would like to see atleast some Bradley or Hendu at the 5. I see no reason to limit this deep team to a nine player rotation, atleast not if it means that there is no backup center included.
So if I have to choose I would take a frontcourt player over Daniels, or better use a 10 player rotation with Bradley or Hendu and Daniels in the mix.

One thing that you really need for a small rotation is a healthy Dampier, if he's limited to under 20 min's than you have to include Bradley and/or Hendu. Than Daniels is the odd man out, which is not nessescary.
I hope Avery said this to create some playoff feeling and position fighting at the end of the season and not that it means, that he play's the same small rotation a whole series.
Hopefully he will use this deep roster the best way to be successfull. to me that means to play a center most of the time (so Bradley/Hendu should be in the rotation) and look which swingman (Finley, Stack, Daniels imo Howard is a lock)is playing/matching up the best, but don't say one of them (Daniels) will not get a try.
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:42 AM   #4
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's pretty obvious that unless Marquis starts playing better, your nine-man rotation is:

Damp
Dirk
Howard
Fin
Terry

Stack
KVB
Devin
Bradley

AJ has already stated that Bradley is the backup center, period. That makes him part of the rotation. Let's face it, Marquis simply isn't bringing enough to the table. Everyone see his line last night in 15 minutes??

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:10 AM   #5
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: jthig32
I think it's pretty obvious that unless Marquis starts playing better, your nine-man rotation is:

Damp
Dirk
Howard
Fin
Terry

Stack
KVB
Devin
Bradley

AJ has already stated that Bradley is the backup center, period. That makes him part of the rotation. Let's face it, Marquis simply isn't bringing enough to the table. Everyone see his line last night in 15 minutes??
Well, yeah that is it. But if Avery decides he is comfortable with Dirk at center for 5-10 a game, then it could be Daniels instead of Bradley. But I think that is unlikely.

Harris is really a wildcard, too. Nobody knows how he is going to react in the playoffs. I think Avery has to be warry of that.

But most inportant of all, this is the first time this subject has been brought up since the Mavs returned to the playoffs. Nellie was never interested. Remember who the first guy off the bench was in the first game of the Sac series in year two of the playoffs? It was Eschmeyer. He played 2 minutes and didn't see the court the rest of the series.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:33 AM   #6
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

My preferences:

Starters- Damp/Dirk/Josh/Fin/Terry
Closers- Damp/Dirk/KVH/Josh/Terry

10-Man rotation:

Damp/Bradley
Dirk/KVH
Josh/Stack
Fin/Quis
Terry/Devin
(Hendu & SS can be used to round out the 12-man roster)

Center and PG are the two most important positions. Let's try to get Damp/Bradley 42+ min at center.
Likewise Terry/Devin combo, should get at least 45+ min at PG.

Dirk's our best player and he should get 38+ min at PF. KVH and Josh are playing at a very high level, currently, and
they could be used exclusively at 3 and as backups at 4 & 2.

Fin's our best 3pt shooter and when his shot is on, he should get minutes ahead of Stack (who's coming back from injury)
and Quis (whose play's been sloppy lately) at the 2. Stack & Quis could get 12-18 min each for instant offense, primarily to
breakdown the opponent's defense, draw some fouls, get to the line, etc. They should not have the green light to shoot
jumpers, imo.

V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:53 PM   #7
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quis has been sloppy lately, but I like his defense. I think he's gotta be in the mix.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:32 AM   #8
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all

For all of you who are coming up with your 10 man rotation, be advised that Coach Johnson is committed to deciding on NINE, not ten.

I think Armstrong and Henderson will not make the cut, and the choice for 9 (in the rotation) and 10 (out of the rotation) will come down to Daniels vs Bradley. I think that decision between those 2 wont be decided until we see who plays best with everyone healthy. If Daniels wants to make it, he has to show a lot more good things in his game, in the next 10 days to 2 weeks, I think. The way he has been playing wont cut it, in my opinion.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:32 AM   #9
Movie Phone

Movie Phone will become famous soon enough

i agree with spiral...quis has been struggling lately, but PLEASE do not leave this guy out. hes a badass. simply put..dont jump off his bandwagon now just cause hes struggling. expect marquis to start turning it up a notch now. this guy has to much talent to be considered a "10th man". thats an insult
Old 03-30-2005, 12:46 AM   #10
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be shocked if Bradley isn't in the 9 man rotation. He's been the starter during this upswing in play. You don't demote someone from starter helping your team to win 4 of 5 including a road win over the defending champs to being a fringe player. Plus, Shawn doesn't have the competition at his position that Quis does.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:36 AM   #11
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Movie Phone
i agree with spiral...quis has been struggling lately, but PLEASE do not leave this guy out. hes a badass. simply put..dont jump off his bandwagon now just cause hes struggling. expect marquis to start turning it up a notch now. this guy has to much talent to be considered a "10th man". thats an insult
I honestly don't know that we can say that about Quis right now. I think he's at a very crucial point in his career starting next year. Regardless of why, be it injury or whatever, you have to consider this year a failure. So he's had one successful season, and that was under Nelson's wide open, matchup intensive offense. There were rumblings when we resigned him that the might only work in that kind of offense.

I'm not saying he can't be successful for us, but I think to ASSUME that he's going to come around and be a good player in Avery's system is probably not wise.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:44 AM   #12
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Marquis also had a good year during a year when the team was completely messed up walker/jamison messing up everything. Only late in the year when he played so much offense and no one collapsed on him has he had a lot of success. He's got issues, making good decisions seems to be his main one.

But shawn will be in the rotaiton as damp probably will get in foul trouble as well as he can't play more than 36-38 mpg at best I would imagine.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:19 AM   #13
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Marquis' best games were last year during the final stretch where our lineup was: Toine, Dirk, Fin/Twan, Quis, Nash.
If you're an opponent, who'd you relax on? An undrafted rookie or one of the 4 All-Stars? Exactly!!
Marquis benefitted significantly under the Nellie scheme of spread the floor with 5 offensive guys.
He could penetrate and shoot his 6-foot floaters all game.

But in a different scheme where defense & defensive players are the primary focus, he is not getting the same shots and looks.
Moreover, he's no longer the undrafted rookie. He's got his big contract and people know him well now.

I hope he works hard on his game this off-season to come back better and hopefully have a long and fruitful career as a Maverick.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote