Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-06-2007, 12:39 AM   #1
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future
Default Bryant welcomed into Manila fold at start of Asian tour

Quote:
MANILA, Philippines (AP) -- More than 7,000 miles from home, fans were chanting his name, and Kobe Bryant was loving it.

No controversy. No tough questions.

ADVERTISEMENT

In the basketball-loving Philippines, no one was going to ruffle a charismatic icon visiting to promote the sport, encourage kids to pursue their dreams and maybe sell a few pairs of his new line of shoes.

"I love Manila," a beaming Bryant told a crowd that started gathering at 6 a.m. outside a store in Manila, nine hours before he appeared. "The energy here is off the charts."

Bryant, fresh off a gold medal at the FIBA Americas championship, kicked off his five-stop Asian tour Wednesday.

A lot has happened to Bryant since his first trip to Manila a decade ago -- three NBA titles with the Los Angeles Lakers and a rape case that was eventually dismissed but left many wondering about his image.

The Manila public provided an answer. He was even touted as a role model for children, a tag that he didn't try to avoid.

"The important thing to remember when people talk about role models, they assume role models are perfect," Bryant said. "Nobody's perfect."

The key, he said, is not to repeat mistakes and to try to give back to the community.

Bryant was still basking in the success of the U.S. basketball team, which drew favorable comparisons with the first two NBA teams at the Olympics.

"When you have an opportunity to play for your country, it's even more special," he said. "The whole country gets behind you."

Bryant said he has taken off 20 pounds since the end of the NBA season, partly by watching his diet for the first time.

"My primary focus this summer was defense," he said. "I had to guard smaller, quicker players. I wanted to get back some of the agility I had in 2000" without losing strength.

What has he been eating?

"Grass," Bryant joked, before saying he had to give up fast food and some of his decadent favorites -- apple pie with ice cream, chocolate cake and sugar cookies.

"I can feel the results already," he said.

The Nike store, in Manila's Fort Bonifacio area, was festooned with a poster promoting Bryant's new shoe, the Kobe II.

At about $150, the shoes represent about six weeks' pay for the average Filipino. But the mostly middle- to upper-class crowd waved his jerseys and raised the old model shoe when he came out of the store. Arms went up as one, cell phones snapping photos.

Construction workers at two adjacent buildings stopped what they were doing and gathered on the roofs or clung to scaffolding as supervisors tried to get them back on the job.

Bryant, who later gave a basketball clinic, laughed as the crowd chanted his name, then "MVP." He appeared most touched when schoolchildren gave him a framed collection of crayon drawings they had done of him.

"Keep your dreams alive," Bryant said. "Keep going after it."

Somebody ought to teach these crowd a lesson.. LOL

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
At about $150, the shoes represent about six weeks' pay for the average Filipino.
Kobe is such a good basketball player, but saying he's giving back to the community by selling $150 shoes just seems wrong. Maybe in America, but for one of the largest urban slums in the world--Manila, it makes it seem a quite sad...

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:42 AM   #3
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
Kobe is such a good basketball player, but saying he's giving back to the community by selling $150 shoes just seems wrong. Maybe in America, but for one of the largest urban slums in the world--Manila, it makes it seem a quite sad...
I resent that! Wtf do you think about us Filipinos? Huh?!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
DevinFuture

DevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of light

I don't see how marketing shoes at $150 a pair can be called "giving back to the community" in any country.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

as long as he gives his time/effort to the community, thats the most one can ask for

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote