Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-03-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Official Mavs Summer League Thread

I wanted to have something that wasn't all trade related but just comments on the summer league guys. So here goes. I'm glad to see Reyshawn put some weight on, he was already pretty solid. It looks like he'll at least be vying to backup josh at the small forward. I'm not so sure he's a shooting guard type or not.

Seibutus I'm really interested in seeing.
http://mavscourtsideview.blogspot.co...-renaldas.html

Quote:
Tuesday, June 3, 2008
Early start for Reyshawn and Renaldas

Reyshawn Terry and Renaldas Seibutis, last year’s second-round picks, are getting a head start on summer league. Terry is also in town working out at the team’s facility at American Airlines Center and Seibutis is scheduled to join the fun in the next couple of weeks.

“They’re going be around for summer league so we’re going to have a lot of time to make decisions,” said Rick Carlisle, who plans to spend considerable time at summer league.

Both swingmen will be given every opportunity to make the roster this season. Terry, a North Carolina product who played in Greece last season, has added considerable muscle to his 6-foot-7 frame.

Seibutis (6-6) could still pack on a few pounds to his slight build, but he’s been compared favorably to a young Doug Collins by the Mavs personnel department. Seibutis, 22, has spent his entire career overseas.

Carlisle believes the team can find value with its second-round pick (51st overall) later this month. Terry was drafted 44th and Seibutis 50th. Carlisle also didn’t rule out trying to get into the first round.

“There’s no doubt the draft is deep,” he said. “We feel like at 51 we’re getting somebody that has a chance to make the roster either this year or next year. It may be a European that stays over there. Donnie [Nelson] and [director of scouting Amadou Gallo Fall] do such a great job of scouring the whole universe so it should be exciting.”
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Can't wait to attend the games!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Can't wait to attend the games!
Me neither. I always feel like i'm getting an inside scoop or something. I don't really enjoy the trade threads at all, but watching candidates really is interesting.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 06-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Rick said don't rule out the first round....I've been saying that I see us moving up in the draft this year. Lots of teams are looking to move their picks it seems. I think focus on center and shooting guard would be good.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
dude1394
Guru

Well I just don't see rookies making much of an impact. I really liked reyshawn/seibutus picks and then stash 'em overseas. They come out of college stupid and stupider. Ager should have been shoved somewhere for sure.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #6
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Are there talented PGs with potential that could be had at the end of the first round or early 2nd? I think Diop will take care of our center needs. Shooting guard needs to be addressed and a long term answer (and for now a current backup) for the PG needs to be taken care of.

I think Reyshawn can be a factor next season. Seibutis could, but he'll be iffy. He needs to stay healthy and have no setbacks with his back issue and really bring energy.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:14 PM   #7
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Seibutis (6-6) could still pack on a few pounds to his slight build, but he’s been compared favorably to a young Doug Collins by the Mavs personnel department.
Did he say a young Doug Collins? Really, there hasn't been a player in the past 20 years that we can compare Seibutis to?
Old 06-03-2008, 11:19 PM   #8
dude1394
Guru

He's so unbelievably unique.

From what I recall he had a nice sense of how to play, good handles, good passer and not aggressive enough as a scorer.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:23 PM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Chris Paul reminds me of a young Bob Cousy.

Actually Seibutis did show something in summer league last year. Very skilled player but, like Terry, I don't know if he'll be aggressive enough to make an impact next year.

As I said in another thread, Terry could be a young Devean George (well, I actually said Eddie George but whatever).

Last edited by dirno2000; 06-03-2008 at 11:26 PM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:01 AM   #10
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Both of them showed something fairly well over the course of the summer league. Terry made more stat-line news over Seibutis while in Europe but Seibutis' back problem probably had a lot to do with that.

Does Seibutis have the old Doug Collins perm now, to go in line with that comparison...haha.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:24 AM   #11
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
Did he say a young Doug Collins? Really, there hasn't been a player in the past 20 years that we can compare Seibutis to?
are they trying to tell us that Seibutis is a nice player but not athletic enough to play in today's game?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #12
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Chris Paul reminds me of a young Bob Cousy.

Actually Seibutis did show something in summer league last year. Very skilled player but, like Terry, I don't know if he'll be aggressive enough to make an impact next year.

As I said in another thread, Terry could be a young Devean George (well, I actually said Eddie George but whatever).
No need to insult Terry.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #13
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktruth
No need to insult Terry.
Not an insult at all. Devean Geroge has managed to hang around the league for 9 years and has contributed to some good basketball teams. If you can get that out of a 2nd round pick then it was a good selection. Everybody can't be a star.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #14
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not an insult at all. Devean Geroge has managed to hang around the league for 9 years and has contributed to some good basketball teams. If you can get that out of a 2nd round pick then it was a good selection. Everybody can't be a star.
Exactly...making a solid contribution on good teams is nothing to scoff at...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #15
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
Are there talented PGs with potential that could be had at the end of the first round or early 2nd? I think Diop will take care of our center needs. Shooting guard needs to be addressed and a long term answer (and for now a current backup) for the PG needs to be taken care of.

I think Reyshawn can be a factor next season. Seibutis could, but he'll be iffy. He needs to stay healthy and have no setbacks with his back issue and really bring energy.
Just looking at projections for PG, 15 and beyond, DJ Augustin, Ty Lawson, Mario Chalmers, Kyle Weaver(early 2nd round projection)

SG Douglas-Roberts, Nicolas Batum, early 2nd rounders Gary Forbes, Courtney Lee, Bill Walker. I've followed Walker via OJ Mayo, and the kid is athletic as hell, tore his ACL end of his frosh season, but was developing an outside game this season. Still early in the game, he may move up to late 1st round status. I like Courtney Lee, good sized 2 guard, not as athletic as you would like your 2 guard to be, similar traits to a Jim Jackson, good low post scorer.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #16
BGMaverick9
Guru

The first two PGs obviously interest me...pretty iffy on the other two.

Thank you at looking at that, I was interested to see what would be out there in that range, since it looks like we're looking to move into the 1st round.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #17
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

When does the summer league begin?
Old 06-04-2008, 01:46 PM   #18
BGMaverick9
Guru

Vegas one starts on July 11
Old 06-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #19
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

the teams wont really be assembled until 1-2 weeks after the draft and the draft is a little less than a month away so I'd expect mid July.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #20
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
the teams wont really be assembled until 1-2 weeks after the draft and the draft is a little less than a month away so I'd expect mid July.

beat ya
Old 06-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #21
bgarrett
Banned

bgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the rough

I don't remember Deavan George making much of a solid contribution on the mavs. Maybe here and there on RARE occasion. But I do recall him being discussed all over town for jacking up shot after shot toward the end of the season, and being stubborn about a trade. I wouldn't wish his career on any young player we have.
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #22
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
The first two PGs obviously interest me...pretty iffy on the other two.

Thank you at looking at that, I was interested to see what would be out there in that range, since it looks like we're looking to move into the 1st round.
I pulled this from nbadraft.net , been going to that site for years, just to get a good idea as to the prospects and where they're expected to go.

nbadraft.net

draftexpress.com
Old 06-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #23
einstein33

einstein33 is on a distinguished road

im thinking that seibutis can be the answer to the SG spot, he gets to the free throw line relentlessly by slashing. He also has a decent three point shot, can get hot at times and take over.
einstein33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #24
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

find some new good people~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #25
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ask and you shall receive.

Jon/Brent Barry
Brent was more of a 1 than Jon, but Seabutt could possibly be either one of them.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #26
BGMaverick9
Guru

Yeah, if he can be A barry, either one of those two...we can definitely live with that.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #27
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah, if he can be A barry, either one of those two...we can definitely live with that.
Just bury the open jumpers...that's all.

Draft is Thursday, June 26. Summer league starts July 11. I would think there will be double day workouts starting Monday, July 7 through July 9, with a travel day on July 10.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:57 PM   #28
bgarrett
Banned

bgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the rough

There gonna be any games at SMU again?
Old 06-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #29
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Mavs moving to New Mexico

No, not the team. But the Mavs’ D-League affiliate is on the move once again. After a year with Tulsa and two in Fort Worth, the Albuquerque Thunderbirds will be the new training stop for those Mavs not quite ready for prime time.

Talk about strange bedfellows, the other NBA team sharing the New Mexico outpost is somewhat noteworthy in these parts is the Miami Heat. For the first time since the D-League’s inception seven years ago, each team is affiliated with a maximum of two NBA teams.

Link

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #30
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarrett
I don't remember Deavan George making much of a solid contribution on the mavs. Maybe here and there on RARE occasion. But I do recall him being discussed all over town for jacking up shot after shot toward the end of the season, and being stubborn about a trade. I wouldn't wish his career on any young player we have.
in his career with the lakers he was a vital part of championship teams so much so that when the lakers thought jerry west while with the grizz would offer him a max deal and payed him huge money to stay in LA, if Terry could become like george id be happy
Old 06-11-2008, 10:57 PM   #31
bgarrett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop
in his career with the lakers he was a vital part of championship teams so much so that when the lakers thought jerry west while with the grizz would offer him a max deal and payed him huge money to stay in LA, if Terry could become like george id be happy

Well he did peak out at 7.4 ppg,4rbs,1.4ast,. ..... Not quite worthy of a max deal imo. I am aware of his role on the team too.

If Reyshawn Terry was like George I would almost call it a bust if he were drafted higher but I rather him stay overseas because there are tons of guys like that here already.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:39 AM   #32
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop
Where in the hell did you get that information from?

If that happened it would make Damp's contract look like the steal of the century.

Last edited by nikeball; 06-12-2008 at 12:40 AM.
nikeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:45 PM   #33
mavsjunkie
Golden Member

mavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to all

All I want for Christmas is a big force down low. Come on Santa, make it happen.