Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 10-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute
Default PG of the future

In my opinion I think we are a very solid team, I think we are a contender and we can shock many teams this year. I like what our organization has done this offseason, we resigned wright, got someone who has the chance to be a star (Gerlad Green), Got a proven Coach in Rick Carlislie, and we also got some good players like Shawne Williams and James singleton.

Yet I can see a clear weakness in this team, and when there is a weakness in a team in the Nba the other teams will try their best to exploit it. The weakness is the Backup PG position, at this point we really have to start looking for a young Backup PG to take over for Jason Kidd. Kidd's backup at this point is rather Mcleod or J.J barea. Mcleod SUCKS, Barea Sucks even worse he shouldn't even be in the Nba imo. Sorry for being harsh But I had to get that out. We need to get someone who is a young PG for our team and the name that keeps popping up is Javaris Crittenton, that kid has potential I saw him play when he was with the lakers and he's going to be very good in a couple of years.

We should easily be able to trade for him because Memphis has so many other Pg's- like Lowry, Conley and O.J.Mayo can play PG. I don't know who we could trade for him though, any Ideas? And if you have any ideas on someone else who can be our PG of the future please let me know.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

"Ohhh yee-aah...that's right babeh"

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Raymond Felton will be a restricted free agent next year. I don't expect the bobcats to sign him to a long term contract since they drafted DJ. Maybe we could do some kinda of S&T.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:02 PM   #4
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Felton would be sweet to have, but I dunno what kind of deal they'll want for him.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Id rather have Crittenton than Felton. Not sure if they would give him up for what we would be willing to part with.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

Bass. He is after all - expendable. I'd hate to see him go, but...
muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to do a S&T for Felton. Could send them Crackhouse's mostly non-guaranteed deal & a 1st & cash. The 1st would have to be a draft-day deal, since we'd have to draft for them, but I'm sure that can be agreed upon. Are we going to get a better PG than Felton with a pick in the 20s? Bigger question may be, are they going to get a better offer than this? They might.

We could pay Felton a first-year contract of roughly $8.88MM if no other players were included in the deal but Crack; we send them his Crackness & $3MM cash, they waive him, pay the $2MM guaranteed, make a million dollar profit, and get a 1st rounder to boot. Is that overpaying for Felton? Probably--but you always overpay for RFAs. Felton becomes the heir to JKidd--who either walks or signs on at a substantially reduced rate, depending on his success this season.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
Maccy

Maccy is on a distinguished road

Hi, this is my first post but I'm a longtime lurker here. You guys have a great mavs forum. You guys think there's any chance of getting Ramon Sessions from Milwaukee? He's somebody I think is going to be a player...
Maccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #9
young_gunner

young_gunner has a little shameless behaviour in the past

marcus williams???...
i heard he is having a tough time w the warriors.. even though the warriors are out of their starting pg for a few.
young_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #10
DIRKNOWITZKI

DIRKNOWITZKI is on a distinguished road

i have an idea.... devin harris. oh wait, we already traded him
DIRKNOWITZKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #11
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I had a weird dream we traded for Stephen Jackson.

Anyway, I would love to have Felton on this team. We need something to fall back on when Kidd's done and young point guards with talent are hard to find.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:08 PM   #12
Burn this City

Burn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really nice

Ricky Rubio.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:50 AM   #13
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

What about JR Smith? In the final 30 games last season, he averaged 15.7 points in just 21.8 minutes; per minute. A wasted talent as a back-up? I think so.

Last edited by muzak; 10-23-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #14
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

WE have a JR SMith in G GReen.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #15
muzak

Yeah, I just looked and hadn't realized he was 6'6''. He's a SG not a PG.

I feel sheepish.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #16
erdubya

erdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really nice

We missed the boat with Shaun Livingston, now I'm on board with bringing in Crittendon. Hell at this point, I'd take Khalid El Amin over JJB!

erdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:02 AM   #17
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn this City View Post
Ricky Rubio.
*dreams.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #18
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
*dreams.
second.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 10-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #19
erdubya

erdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really nice

Quote:
*dreams.
Nightmares...

Ricky Rubio's got lead feet. In the olympics, he couldn't blow by Kidd if he had a running start!

Peep the scouting report and watch how slow that kid is if you get your hands on some footage.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #20
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdubya View Post
Nightmares...

Ricky Rubio's got lead feet. In the olympics, he couldn't blow by Kidd if he had a running start!

Peep the scouting report and watch how slow that kid is if you get your hands on some footage.
Obviously, we wouldn't take the kid because he can blow by people, but because he is an excellent distributor.

If I wanted a player to blow by someone else, I wouldn't have traded Devin Harris.

...and besides that, I recall Rubio getting to the basket a few times and dishing or scoring against the US...

Old 10-24-2008, 10:25 AM   #21
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Rubio got by Kidd... then he got by Paul. Were we watching the same game?

Contact Me
Old 10-24-2008, 10:37 AM   #22
erdubya

Quote:
Not on a consistent basis. If he did blow by Paul/Kidd/whoever, it was probably a switchup, pick and roll, or maybe the defender was trying to gamble for the steal. I didn't watch every possession of that game, but countless others have watched most of his games. That's why I checked out the scouting reports and they confirmed what I saw. Face it, the kid is slow. Slow at 35 is halfway acceptable. Slow at 18 is a whole different story.

If ball distribution is his only asset (if he can't shoot, or score a layup), then with him on your team you're gonna be playing 5 on 4 most of the time. Now I don't know about you, but I want my backup PG to be somewhat of a scoring threat.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #23
Burn this City

Burn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really nice

Quote:
Not on a consistent basis. If he did blow by Paul/Kidd/whoever, it was probably a switchup, pick and roll, or maybe the defender was trying to gamble for the steal. I didn't watch every possession of that game, but countless others have watched most of his games. That's why I checked out the scouting reports and they confirmed what I saw. Face it, the kid is slow. Slow at 35 is halfway acceptable. Slow at 18 is a whole different story.

If ball distribution is his only asset (if he can't shoot, or score a layup), then with him on your team you're gonna be playing 5 on 4 most of the time. Now I don't know about you, but I want my backup PG to be somewhat of a scoring threat.
The guy is pretty much a consensus top 3 prospect right now. I just threw the name out there as a joke, seeing as how the only way we'll get him is to tank the season and win the lottery, which I don't really see happening.

But he didn't look slow to me. And even if he is, Steve Nash was labeled as slow and "not athletic" and his career has seemed to turn out fine. There's plenty of PG's who are quick and can blow past everyone and handle the ball well, etc. (like the previously mentioned Devin Harris), but there's not many who have the court vision and play-making ability Rubio has. He just looks like he sees everything 3 seconds before everyone else. That's what you want in a PG.

Last edited by Burn this City; 10-24-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Burn this City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:44 PM   #24
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

What about that dude that schooled Devin Harris? I think he's available.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #25
Willstar

Willstar is on a distinguished road

imo pay devin to play shitty next year so the mavs can get him back easily

Willstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #26
erdubya

If I'm Donnie Nelson, I make a hard run at Brandon Jennings next year. The kid who skipped a freshman year to play for Lute Olsen's Arizona Wildcats for a few hundred grand to play in Italy... not a bad tradeoff.

Anyway, I hear he hasn't exactly lit up the statsheet and is barely playing over there. Earlier this year he was a sure lottery pick for 2009, after this season in Italy he might drop down to the middle to lower first round.

The kids got a gang of talent. Picture Stevie Francis with court vision and a better attitude/work ethic and you have Jennings.

Last edited by erdubya; 10-28-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #27
Burn this City

^Rubio is better...

And besides, it isn't like Jennings went to Europe because he thought it would be a revolutionary idea - the guy couldn't get into college. He cheated on the SAT's and then after they flagged it for being too good of an improvement over his first try, they made him take it again and he bombed it. Does this really sound like a kid who makes good decisions? Is this the kind of guy you want running your team?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:25 PM   #28
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
^Rubio is better...

And besides, it isn't like Jennings went to Europe because he thought it would be a revolutionary idea - the guy couldn't get into college. He cheated on the SAT's and then after they flagged it for being too good of an improvement over his first try, they made him take it again and he bombed it. Does this really sound like a kid who makes good decisions? Is this the kind of guy you want running your team?
I heard Kevin Garnett was dumb as F*** in high school and yet he still plays great basketball, he just won a championship and he is a hall of famer. Just because a person isn't smart in school that doesn't mean they can't kick arse in basketball. Come on now.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #29
alby
Guru

Rubio is going to cost you a #1 overall pick. BJennings isn't

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 10-28-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #30
Burn this City

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan View Post
I heard Kevin Garnett was dumb as F*** in high school and yet he still plays great basketball, he just won a championship and he is a hall of famer. Just because a person isn't smart in school that doesn't mean they can't kick arse in basketball. Come on now.
I never said he was "dumb as F***." I said he cheated on the SAT, didn't even do that right, and then got caught. I was questioning is judgement, not his intelligence. I know the average pro athelete isn't a Rhodes Scholar, but some have better judgement than others - especially when it comes to important things...you know, like their future...
Old 10-29-2008, 10:12 AM   #31
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
I never said he was "dumb as F***." I said he cheated on the SAT, didn't even do that right, and then got caught. I was questioning is judgement, not his intelligence. I know the average pro athelete isn't a Rhodes Scholar, but some have better judgement than others - especially when it comes to important things...you know, like their future...
What does his judgement off the court have to do with his judgement on the court?, I can use our very own Jason Kidd for example. I've heard stories that Kidd beat his ex-wife before(I don't know his side of the story) but did that stop him from schooling other PGs? No. Did that take away his ability to be a triple double machine? No. Just because someone makes a bad decision off the court it doesn't mean they will run your team in the wrong way. Come on now.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #32
erdubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan View Post
Damn... You beat me to it!

Old 10-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #33
ty
Diamond Member

Enter Josh Howard and Pacman Jones.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:29 AM   #34
Re-Dirk-ulous

Re-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nightmares...

The kid just turned 18 years old
Re-Dirk-ulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:02 AM   #35
therootsfan

therootsfan is on a distinguished road

So Kidd and Stackhouse will be FA's after the season freeing up tons of money to go after a FA PG, except the FA PG pool will be virtually non-existent aside from 2nd-tier guys like Bibby and maybe Jamal Crawford who's more of a SG. 2010's FA group is equally uninspiring as Duhon is probably the best of the bunch and that's pretty bad. I really don't want Kidd re-signed because of how old and slow on D he is, but maybe we'll have to.
therootsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #36
erdubya

So the most talented PG not in the league is now playing with discipline and fire??? Ricky Rubio better watch his back!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/st...ine&id=3715746

Like I said before, I'd like to see us make a huge push for Jennings in the summer.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #37
Burn this City

It's still early in the season but Stephen Curry is putting up great assist numbers...
Old 11-23-2008, 01:42 AM   #38
bobatundi
Golden Member

Quote:
So the most talented PG not in the league is now playing with discipline and fire??? Ricky Rubio better watch his back!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/st...ine&id=3715746

Like I said before, I'd like to see us make a huge push for Jennings in the summer.
We'd have to draft him, right? He's not a free agent. Without trading up in the draft, I don't see how we can get him...unless we tank this season and end up in the lottery, though thankfully it's starting to look like this team is getting on track.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:26 AM   #39
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Off topic and not exactly the future or true point guard even but how did we( and the rest of the league)not take a shot at signing Jannero Pargo this past summer? We could use his instant offense. I'd like to see us target Ronnie Brewer after 2009 if we haven't settled our 2 guard quandry by then(heaven forbid). We're in the market for an entire backcourt!
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:27 AM   #40
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Jennings might go top 10
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote