Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 11-23-2003, 10:37 PM   #1
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spyware/Adware

Is anyone else having problems with spyware/adware? It seems like I get a new one everyday. I have SpySweeper and it effectively cleans it from my system. But does anyone know of how I can prevent it from getting on my computer in the first place?

I am getting extremely frustrated with this dilemma.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2003, 10:46 PM   #2
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Spyware/Adware

First of all I have blocked third party cookies in the browser configuration. This doesn't finish the problem but helps.

Second, I don't download and install free programs when I don't want spyware in my Windows registry. Also helps some.

Third, I have Lavasoft Ad-aware. As yours cleans up pretty well the spies.

I have reduced substancially the strangers in my house, but don't know how to completely stop them.

I hate more the SPAM, though, and it doesn't cease to come every day.

Old 11-23-2003, 11:30 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Spyware/Adware

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
Is anyone else having problems with spyware/adware? It seems like I get a new one everyday. I have SpySweeper and it effectively cleans it from my system. But does anyone know of how I can prevent it from getting on my computer in the first place?

I am getting extremely frustrated with this dilemma.
Download spybot, update it (by clicking search for updates - this will ensure you have the latest and greatest updates), click on immunize and click on the Immunize button. Also, on the Immunize screen where it says "Permanently running bad download blocker for Internet Explorer", I reccomend selecting "Block all bad pages silently" and clicking Immunize. Finally, click the Search&Destroy button and tell it to Check for Problems. It is going to warn you if you have other software installed that you might get false positives... that is okay, it will give you "false" positives when another program has saved a "fixed" problem because it detects it on its scan.

I recommend searching for updates and doing a system scan at least once a week, and regularly deleting cookies.

Hope this helps. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

edit: The Immunization process helps GREATLY in preventing spyware from being installed without your knowledge. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2003, 03:17 PM   #4
Walkerforthree
Golden Member

Walkerforthree is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Spyware/Adware

yep, i got spybot on my new plasma screen dell. It was brand new and going bonkers because of that damn spyware crap, i called the dell people out and installed spybot, apparently about 50% of new dell's get attacked by spyware!
Walkerforthree is offline   Reply With Quote