Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-09-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future
Default GDT: New Jersey @ Dallas , December 9, 7:30 p.m. central

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/preview?gameId=301209006
Winning streaks like the one the Dallas Mavericks are riding were common under Avery Johnson, but his inability to regularly translate that success into deep playoff runs ultimately led to his dismissal in 2008.

Johnson makes his return to Dallas on Thursday night when the New Jersey Nets try to end the Mavericks' 10-game winning streak and snap a 10-game skid at American Airlines Center.

Johnson spent three-plus seasons coaching Dallas, going 194-70 in the regular season and 23-24 in the playoffs. He guided the Mavericks to the NBA finals in 2006 but was fired after the team was ousted in the first round for the second straight year in 2008.

The kind of success Johnson had in Dallas is what ultimately led to his hiring by the Nets over the summer.

"It's going to be tough," Jason Terry told the Mavericks' official website about facing his former coach. "But then, when the lights are on and we tip it off, it's time to go to work. It will be fun, but it's going to be a long night."

Like the Dallas teams under Johnson, this year's Mavericks (17-4) are having another good season. They won their 10th straight Tuesday with a 105-100 victory over Golden State.

Dirk Nowitzki scored 25 points and Terry added 20, while seldom-used forwards Ian Mahinmi and Alexis Ajinca combined for 15 points and 16 rebounds off the bench.

The two saw playing time with starting center Tyson Chandler sitting out after he missed the morning shootaround with a stomach bug. Mahinmi played a career-high 21 minutes and recorded a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds. He had played 39 minutes all season before the game.

"Hard work pays," Mahinmi said. "We're going to keep doing that. It's great for both of us."

Their work on the boards helped Dallas put together another solid defensive effort in the opener of a six-game homestand. The Mavericks are among the league's best in points allowed at 92.6 per game and have outrebounded six of their last eight opponents.

Dallas' winning streak is the ninth in franchise history of at least 10 games, including four during Johnson's tenure.

The Mavericks, who had a 13-game run from Feb. 17-March 10, don't seem to be in danger of having their winning streak snapped by Johnson's current team.

New Jersey (6-16) has lost 10 in a row at Dallas since March 2, 2000, getting held to an average of 91.0 points. Overall, the Mavericks have won three in a row between the teams and 16 of 19.

The Nets are trying to stop a five-game overall losing streak. They fell 116-101 at Atlanta on Tuesday for their eighth straight road loss.

Brook Lopez scored 24 points and Devin Harris had 18 points and 13 assists, but the Hawks shot 60.3 percent. That came after Boston shot 50.6 percent en route to a 100-75 win at New Jersey on Sunday.

"We just couldn't score and we couldn't stop them from scoring," Harris said after Tuesday's loss. "We put ourselves in a position where you've got to play perfectly to come back and we didn't do that."

Harris, who played three-plus seasons with Johnson in Dallas before being sent to New Jersey as part of the deal involving Jason Kidd, is averaging 21.2 points and 6.4 assists in five games against his former team.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
Dim499
Platinum Member

Dim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud of

Mavs have won 10 in a row. They can make it eleven if they beat the Nets who have Devin Harris who used to be a player for the Mavs and Avery Johnson who coached the Mavs once and is blamed by many for the first round exit against the Golden State Warriors, who were seeded 8th at the time.
Dim499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:51 AM   #3
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Mavericks Remain Focused Despite Seeing Familiar Faces

The Mavericks (17-4) had practice today and a lengthy film session recapping what happened against Golden State, a victory leading to their 10th consecutive victory. The Mavericks continue their six-game home-stand on Thursday Night against the New Jersey Nets who are in the midst of a 5-game losing streak with an overall record of 6-16.

It's the second game where the Mavericks will be facing a team with a losing record, but the Mavericks understand they are the hunted. "Right now, with a winning streak, we know everybody is going to be coming after us trying to break it," said coach Rick Carlisle. "We've broken three winning streaks, ourselves, so we know about that motivation. It's about improving, being focused and concentrating. (The game against Golden State) was a good win, but there were areas where we lost focus and concentration and we just can't allow that to happen."
you can read more at http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2010/12...-familiar-face
Old 12-09-2010, 02:12 AM   #4
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

RC doesn't even know how many winning streak we have broken :P its 5 of at least 5 games
Old 12-09-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Hope Chandler is good enough to go.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:35 AM   #6
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
RC doesn't even know how many winning streak we have broken :P its 5 of at least 5 games
I'm pretty sure he's talking 3 in the context of within their own win-streak.
3 streaks stopped during the 10-game:
OKC - 5
SA - 12
Utah - 7
Old 12-09-2010, 02:59 AM   #7
mavs777
Diamond Member

I see. my bad
Old 12-09-2010, 03:01 AM   #8
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

What else is new?

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."

Last edited by ty; 12-09-2010 at 03:01 AM.
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:02 AM   #9
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

I miss Devin..... Oh well. Let's make it 11.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:39 AM   #10
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Those pictures just annoyed the hell out of me tbh. Well, I hope Avery is treating Devin better these days. Anyway, Lets get this W Mavs.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:56 AM   #11
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Doesn't include Devin Harris, but who can forget this classic Avery moment??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLV3a4CgYLE
Old 12-09-2010, 04:41 AM   #12
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Go Mavs! Rock The House!! Keep It Going!!!
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #13
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavspwnage View Post
Doesn't include Devin Harris, but who can forget this classic Avery moment??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLV3a4CgYLE
Josh's facial expression is priceless -- shaking his head, filling his cheeks up with air, and closing his eyes...

As many time as I have seen this clip, I never noticed Dampier's look like he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar....Good catch!!

One of my favorite Mav's clips of all time!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #14
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

So mavs777 is hijacking the entire win streak from Bayliss?

That's kinda like Avery claiming responsibility for Dirk's MVP.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #15
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I hope we crush that tiny egomaniac.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #16
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

Did anyone hear them talk about the owner of the Nets this morning on the Ticket? That guy is one horrible human being.

It's also ironic to me that Avery is coaching Devin again after all he put him through.

Last edited by muzak; 12-09-2010 at 10:46 AM.
muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #17
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzak View Post
Did anyone hear them talk about the owner of the Nets this morning on the Ticket? That guy is one horrible human being.
For example?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #18
12 Tone Melodies

12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold

http://www.nba.com/news/referee.html
Referee Assignments
Dec. 9, 2010
New Jersey @ Dallas-Marc Davis, Eric Dalen, David Guthrie

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.
- John Adams
12 Tone Melodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #19
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Tonight Avery Johnson goes back to Dallas.He was our the best coach.This will be top match for him.He will be disappointed after the game.Because we win this game.
Go Mavs!!!

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR

Last edited by 41mvp; 12-09-2010 at 11:02 AM.
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #20
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
For example?
I'll give it a try...

He made his billions by rigging an auction and gaining ownership of a mining corporation, getting it at half the price of the highest bid. His company would often not pay their workers for up to 6 months while dropping off rations of old sausage and boiled eggs to live on. His mines polluted the town to where a cloud the size of Germany still hangs over it to this day and when it rains, it's toxic acid rain. It is among the most polluted places on earth today due to his company. The average life span for that region is lessened by 10 years. That's all I can remember aside from hookers in France. He's crooked and obviously doesn't give a damn about his employees, their well being, or the environment.

Here's a little something on it, I'm sure there's more if you dig: http://www.geocurrents.info/index.ph...00.000-07%3A00

Last edited by muzak; 12-09-2010 at 11:14 AM.
muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #21
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Beat them by 20+. No excuses
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #22
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Should be a blowout. Matchup to watch is our centers against Lopez. Rest the starters the 4th quarter.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It was so awesome hearing Avery take basically all the credit for Dirk winning the MVP.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #24
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Go Mavs!!!
(win or win)!!!

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #25
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
It was so awesome hearing Avery take basically all the credit for Dirk winning the MVP.
He should go out and win it this year.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #26
CapitanObvious

CapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud of

A win. Count on it.

CapitanObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #27
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

Avery may know how to exploit Dirk and Jet's weaknesses... Could spell trouble.
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #28
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFTR View Post
The only thing he knows about besides the Dirk/Jet pick-and-roll is the give-it-to-Dirk-at-the-elbow-and-make-him-do-all-the-work play. He knows nothing about all those off the ball screens Carlisle sets for him now.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #29
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Well Avery Johnson won coach of the year award! HAS DIRK EVER DONE THAT?? I don't think so. I rest my case!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #30
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well ... other teams also do their scouting. Dirk has been around for a while now and his weaknesses are pretty much well known.

I would like to see Ason finding his J back. Otherwise teams could start doubling Dirk more aggressive all the time. We need him as a perimeter thread.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #31
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs by 5.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #32
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Pffft, what weakness?

(and even if Dirk had one, which Nets player could exploit it?)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 12-09-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #33
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs by a lot.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #34
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Nice read

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #35
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Well ... other teams also do their scouting. Dirk has been around for a while now and his weaknesses are pretty much well known.

I would like to see Ason finding his J back. Otherwise teams could start doubling Dirk more aggressive all the time. We need him as a perimeter thread.
No doubt

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #36
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I want us to pump our MOV up in the next five games.

Start tonight. Mavs by 15 if TopCat is out there. 8 if otherwise.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #37
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
No doubt
Yeah ... you got me on that one

http://hoopspeak.com/2010/12/dallas-mavericks-zone/

Quote:
Zone defense isn’t man-to-man, and it isn’t manly. It’s what boys play in college and high school, what your JV team ran because the other team couldn’t shoot. No elite NBA defense could ever employ a zone with any consistency and success. Well, until one does.

The Dallas Mavericks are surrendering the league’s fourth lowest Opponent FG% (43.3%) while endeavoring to have the best zone defense in the league. It’s likely they already possess the best zone defense in NBA history.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #38
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Pffft, what weakness?

(and even if Dirk had one, which Nets player could exploit it?)
Dirk is currently 11th in the league in Defensive Win Shares.

Hey, just sayin'!
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #39
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

As Skin mentions on the espn mavs blog(or tries to), this game should be a good opportunity for Haywood to redeem his (perceived) bad play through containing Brook Lopez to some degree, that is if Tyson won't totally neglect Lopez and put him into foul trouble before Wood gets a chance to do so.

The real story of the game from a mavs standpoint should be the chance to break even, though. Fish with the .500 watch:

Quote:
The Climb-to-.500 Watch is on … and isn’t it interesting that Dallas can (finally) get there as a franchise in a game played tonight against a coach that was so key in helping the climb?

The Mavs' all-time current record is 1,224 wins and 1,225 losses. The winning percentage is .499.

Smile

Now, just so you know how Dirk is: Dallas' record (pre-Dirk) was 585 wins and 891 losses, a winning percentage of .396. (actually that is how Dirk is not, he sits now at a W% of .657)

Tonight should be the night. To .500 ... and beyond!
In March the Nets were the 13th game of our 13-game winning-streak, before the Knicks crushed us on our home court to avenge the 50-point domination on their floor. Here's hope it really goes to .500 tonight and beyond when we face the Jazz on Saturday.
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #40
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Jason Kidd hasn't forgotten taking a seat

DALLAS -- Elephants aren't the only ones with long memories. OK, so February 2008 isn't all that long ago, but Jason Kidd sure hasn't forgotten what went down on the night of the 28th in San Antonio.

Kidd initiated discussion of the topic Wednesday afternoon when asked about New Jersey Nets coach Avery Johnson's return to the American Airlines Center for the first time as an opposing coach.

On Feb. 28, 2008, Kidd was in his fifth game with the Dallas Mavericks since the blockbuster trade went down during the All-Star break. The Mavs and San Antonio Spurs were locked in yet another classic battle.

Tim Duncan made a pair of free throws to give the Spurs a 96-94 lead with 34 seconds to play. Mavs coach Avery Johnson called a 20-second timeout.

What happened next Kidd described as "maybe the biggest thing that stands out," during his brief time playing under Johnson.

During the timeout, Johnson substituted Jerry Stackhouse into the game and sat Kidd.

The Mavs had chances to score in the frenzied final half-minute, but Dirk Nowitzki missed two shots and Jason Terry had a third attempt blocked by Bruce Bowen. Game over. Five games into the trade and a mini-controversy had erupted. The young, controlling head coach had benched one of the game's great players in the type of critical moment the franchise had traded for the savvy, veteran point guard in the first place.

After the 97-94 loss, Kidd downplayed Johnson's decision. And on Wednesday, despite bringing up that situation when asked simply what he remembers most about playing under Johnson, Kidd gave the coach the benefit of the doubt again. But, it was clear, he had not forgotten.

"No," Kidd said. "I just got there so I understand that whole situation. It was a first. There’s always a first. You can always have something to learn from. As much as I wanted to be in at the end of that game, the trade just happened and I can understand coach going with players who understand what he’s looking for."

The loss dropped the Mavs to 3-2 since the trade that sent Devin Harris to New Jersey. Dallas would lose three of its next four and finish the regular season 16-13 with Kidd before getting dumped in the first round in five games by the New Orleans Hornets.

On Thursday, the Mavs will try to extend their winning streak to 11 games against Johnson's Nets. Kidd said if this one is close at the end, he has every intention of seeing it through -- on the court.

"Unless I fouled out," Kidd said. "But, I plan on being in there."
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...-taking-a-seat