Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-26-2006, 05:55 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default After start, Stack values bench role

After start, Stack values bench role

Regular sixth man touches off rally with 18-point second half

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Jerry Stackhouse was forced into starting duty Saturday because of Josh Howard's ankle injury. And while there have been times when Stackhouse has thought he deserved to be a starter, his experience against Toronto cured him of that notion.

"I was telling these guys that I was the only M.O.B. [Maverick Off the Bench] who hadn't started any games this year," Stackhouse said. "Now I messed that up. I want them to keep me in my role."

After starting the game, Stackhouse came off the bench in the second half, when he helped trigger the 24-point comeback that led to an overtime win over the Raptors. Stackhouse had 18 of his 22 points after halftime, and it was he and Darrell Armstrong who were the catalysts off the bench.

The good news for Stackhouse is that he's likely to be back in his usual sixth-man role come Monday against Philadelphia.

"He knows it's not permanent," Avery Johnson said of Stackhouse's first start of the season. "Stack has been one of our best hustle players. He's wrapped up in that mode of being an offensive player. Sometimes you don't notice the hustle plays."

Keith Van Horn now is the only member of the 10-man rotation who hasn't started at least a game.

Howard sits: Josh Howard was held out of Saturday's game but should be back in action Monday against Philadelphia.

"It's not that bad, but we just don't want it to be prolonged or get any worse," Johnson said.

Early returns not so good: Matinee events still don't agree with the Mavericks.

"We've been missing wake-up calls for early games since last year," Armstrong said. "Since I've been with the team, we really haven't played in the daytime too well."

Before the game, Johnson said the noon start would give him a chance to see how his players respond to a strange tipoff time. Considering the Mavericks were down by 10 points after seven minutes, the results can't be good.

"We need to be able to adjust more, because when the playoffs come, you don't know when you're going to play," Johnson said.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2006, 11:08 AM   #2
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

I think part of the reason Stack enjoys his bench role alot more is because he's used to going up against 2nd string players now. That means he doesn't 'need' to work as hard on defense and he can basically exert his will on offense. That's not to say he doesn't work on defense, I've also noticed that the guy has been hustling his butt off which is certainly refreshing and very much appreciated. After reading all those articles about how Stack would bug Avery all the time to start, I'm glad to read one that talks about how he is happy coming off the bench (I was worried for a while we might have a Jamison-esque situation). Stack has impressed me with his professionalism, intensity and work ethic this season - top notch pick-up - especially considering we got Devin in the same deal.

Last edited by orangedays; 02-26-2006 at 11:09 AM.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote